Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel burger. No, no, no!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

It is completely and utterly avoidable, I just think that some companies are giving in to the pressure from vegan groups in ensuring there is an option for them at EVERY restaurant.

I don't understand vegans simply because meat is delicious and I couldn't imagine my life without it, but now all these places which are traditionally meat eateries are having to come up with fake meat products to appease the minority. Even though I don't eat vegan, I'm pretty sure Burgerking will be pretty low on the list of where vegans eat, if it's on it at all.

I'm also vehemently against non-meat products being named after meat, and it seems the EU are on my side, changing legislation that basically bans non-meat products from being called burger, sausage, bacon, fillet, and even so far as other terms, such as milk, should not be used to describe something that is not originally what that word means:

http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/dyn/15/amendements/0627/CION-ECO/CE2044

Can I similarly go into a vegan/vegetarian restaurant and demand meat, or that they at least provide 1 meat product for us non-vegans/vegetarians? If not, why not?

It's principle. That's all. I couldn't care less that vegans don't eat meat, as long as they're not preaching to me. Maybe this was an internal decision from Burgerking without the pressure (doubtful, but we'll never know). I just don't agree that everywhere that sells food should provide for vegans/vegetarians. That's all. Personal preference if you will.

Edit: And just found out that it's not actual vegan due to mayo being used in it.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

silver2020 wrote: »
    Totally disagree with the OP

Herself is a vegetarian. She's very tired of the BK Bean Burger, but loves their fries.

We treat ourselves to a junk food meal about once a month - this puts BK back on the list

Same as me.

Can go now on lunch with workmates as an odd treat if I want.

As someone else said, its a bit odd, the amount of people getting so worked up over a fast food offering.

You know, nox, given that we, vehemently, disagree on pretty much anything I can think of, it might be fun to hang out sometime.

Supermac's is awful. I was tempted to try their wholemeal chicken burger thing a few months ago. Maybe it was operator error but the thing came out all floppy and lava hot from the microwave. Awful.
    And their chips are pale, flaccid, manky things.

Agreed on supermacs chips, they're awful!

I had a plant burger at an Honest Burger in London a few weeks back. Was sublime. Possibly the best burger I've ever had. I think it was unfortunately imported from the US but the company, Impossible Foods are opening up shop in the Netherlands. Should slash both the price and carbon footprint nicely.

Oh the Impossible burger's in the UK now, had one when I was over in Atlanta for DragonCon in september last year

Really nice burger it was too, unlike quorn burgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

You quoted half of my first sentence. The rest of the sentence tells you why it sickens me.

I have no problem with vegans or veganism, I hate the whole pandering to vegans like BK are doing yet they offer absolutely zero gluten free options to cater for people who have an auto immune disease which means they have absolutely no choice in what they eat.
    It doesn't make sense imo to be sickened by a vegan offering on the menu because there isn't a gluten free offering. It's not the vegan food's fault. I quoted just the first part of your post because it seemed standalone. If it was in the reverse order I'd have understood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Demonique wrote: »
    Agreed on supermacs chips, they're awful!

+2 Poxy chips outta supermacs. I do like the taco fries though, proper drinkin food if you find yourself outside of the pale...

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm confused. Have vegetarians actually been demanding vegetarian meals in a restaurant, and this is why you don't want this burger to be sold?

Or did you just want a bit of a winge?
    I just wanted to see the chaos it would cause. Couldn't care less, I can still get a beef burger or chicken burger with bacon. Tasty dead flesh.
    But its good to bring out people's opinions on all aspects of the vegetable/ vegan burgers/real meat.
    Makes for some interesting reading and insights of posters. And some faux posters just posting cos they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Notdeco wrote: »
    I just wanted to see the chaos it would cause. Couldn't care less, I can still get a beef burger or chicken burger with bacon. Tasty dead flesh.
    But its good to bring out people's opinions on all aspects of the vegetable/ vegan burgers/real meat.
    Makes for some interesting reading and insights of posters. And some faux posters just posting cos they can.

Do you know what "faux" means?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Do you know what "faux" means?

Yes.lot of posters posting "faux"as you well know if you have read the thread. # Trump

Faux(much like the" burger ") :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I don't care for it and don't mind if anyone wants to be vegan but there is a degree of smugness around it. The food substitutes that vegans think are worthy or actually comparable to the real thing.

People eating vegan chicken sausages? No there is no chicken in it so therefore it is just a vegan sausage. The presence of the word chicken implies there is chicken in it.

Or the pathetic attempts at trying to substitute the mighty beef burger with a lentil burger or some other mush that turn to s**e after 2 big bites. You will never again know the joy of eating a greasy burger after a few pints.

Get over it and stop trying to act like you're not missing out because of some nonsense "substitute". You are vegan, you do not eat meat or animal products.

I look at vegan food and groan. You will never know the pleasure of devouring turkey ham, buckets of chocolate, cream desserts etc. this christmas. Instead you will torture yourself and delude yourself into thinking with your sustainable diet that you can more than get around with some smart recipes.

Yeah. Maybe. But they all taste like s**e compared to the real thing.

Just go vegetarian and source your milk, eggs etc. ethically. It's not that hard. I think vegans are people with big issues around food and make it a daily war. Which is sad. Just eat the slice of chocolate cake with all its delicious butter, milk and cream, enjoy life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

chrissb8 wrote: »
    People eating vegan chicken sausages? No there is no chicken in it so therefore it is just a vegan sausage. The presence of the word chicken implies there is chicken in it.

er i think the word vegan implies that there isnt :P

id imagine most vegans know the joy of a turkey dinner and have decided it isnt that joyful?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cyrus wrote: »
    er i think the word vegan implies that there isnt :P...

Therefore, vegan chicken/turkey/pork/beef/water buffalo/llama/peacock sausages are all identical? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

jimgoose wrote: »
    Therefore, vegan chicken/turkey/pork/beef/water buffalo/llama/peacock sausages are all identical? :pac:

Maybe the wording should just be Vegan sausages, chicken flavoured. Instead of trying to act like it's close to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Maybe the wording should just be Vegan sausages, chicken flavoured. Instead of trying to act like it's close to the real thing.

But how then would one distinguish a sausage made without chicken from one made without, say, pork?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jimgoose wrote: »

not sure never had one, but one thing i am pretty sure of, if its says its vegam there wont be chicken in it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Space Dog wrote: »
    Yeah, and good job Ireland doesn't import any other food from other countries. No carbon footprint on bananas, tomatos, pineapple, oranges, coffee, cocoa. At all...

I buy the Irish tomatoes. Spanish one taste nice. Dutch ones are bland. Haven't tried the Israeli ones.

She got upset that others don't want to buy the product her husband sells. Some people are odd. That's my analysis.

Same as the spokeswoman for Bord Bia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Really looking forward to being force-fed my vegan Burger King meal, with a side order of torture and a medium sized bile of ignorance to wash it all down....

Oh, that's not going to happen? I can just order what I want and let others have the vegan burger if they want? Or, better yet I could just continue to not go to Burger King? Great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

YFlyer wrote: »
    Same as the spokeswoman for Bord Bia.

Maybe. Does the spokeswoman for Bord Bia get narked off when some people eat other things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Oh, that's not going to happen? I can just order what I want and let others have the vegan burger if they want? Or, better yet I could just continue to not go to Burger King? Great!

What? You think you have a choice of what to eat in BK?

I ordered a whopper mean at lunch and they said:
    "1 Vegan burger coming up"
    "No. I said a Whopper meal"
    "2 Vegan burgers coming up, I'll get the force feeding tube. Which end would you like your feeding tube?"

But seriously, some people get so bent out of shape because businesses react to demand. They are only after profit. If it doesn't make money, it'll be discontinued. nothing to get upset about

Maybe. Does the spokeswoman for Bord Bia get narked off when some people eat other things?

I'm not aware. Maybe when beef comes in from Brazil.

May check what's her views on New Zealand lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

Tried one - tasted OK can't say I was absolutely bowled over. It's just a good quality veggie burger that tastes a little bit meaty.

Also they're not vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

It is completely and utterly avoidable, I just think that some companies are giving in to the pressure from vegan groups in ensuring there is an option for them at EVERY restaurant.

I don't understand vegans simply because meat is delicious and I couldn't imagine my life without it, but now all these places which are traditionally meat eateries are having to come up with fake meat products to appease the minority. Even though I don't eat vegan, I'm pretty sure Burgerking will be pretty low on the list of where vegans eat, if it's on it at all.

I'm also vehemently against non-meat products being named after meat, and it seems the EU are on my side, changing legislation that basically bans non-meat products from being called burger, sausage, bacon, fillet, and even so far as other terms, such as milk, should not be used to describe something that is not originally what that word means:

http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/dyn/15/amendements/0627/CION-ECO/CE2044

Can I similarly go into a vegan/vegetarian restaurant and demand meat, or that they at least provide 1 meat product for us non-vegans/vegetarians? If not, why not?

It's principle. That's all. I couldn't care less that vegans don't eat meat, as long as they're not preaching to me. Maybe this was an internal decision from Burgerking without the pressure (doubtful, but we'll never know). I just don't agree that everywhere that sells food should provide for vegans/vegetarians. That's all. Personal preference if you will.

Edit: And just found out that it's not actual vegan due to mayo being used in it.

It makes perfect sense for restaurants to sell vegetarian food. Just expanding the market.
    Simple business, why can't some people understand this?

I see the vegan propaganda about meat being bad has got into your head!

Bar week day breakfast I have to have meat (a lots of it in many cases) with every other meal or it just wouldn’t be a meal without it. Every Saturday and Sunday is a full fry for breakfast then also, wouldn’t be a weekend without it.

Too much red meat is bad for you and linked to cancer and heart disease
    Just because it's inconvenient for you to hear doesn't mean it's "propaganda" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

14 pages on the addition of a burger to a fast food menu. What are we like?

I don't care for it and don't mind if anyone wants to be vegan but there is a degree of smugness around it. The food substitutes that vegans think are worthy or actually comparable to the real thing.
    Plenty of smugness in this sentence too by trying to second guess why people do things
    Some people like the taste but don't eat meat for personal reasons.
    No need to get so worked up about it.
    Or the pathetic attempts at trying to substitute the mighty beef burger with a lentil burger or some other mush that turn to s**e after 2 big bites. You will never again know the joy of eating a greasy burger after a few pints.
    There you go again, I'm guessing you never tried any of these burgers.
    Maybe it might open your mind a bit if you did
    Get over it and stop trying to act like you're not missing out because of some nonsense "substitute". You are vegan, you do not eat meat or animal products.
    Looks like you should take your own advice.
    Get over it indeed!!
    I look at vegan food and groan. You will never know the pleasure of devouring turkey ham, buckets of chocolate, cream desserts etc. this christmas. Instead you will torture yourself and delude yourself into thinking with your sustainable diet that you can more than get around with some smart recipes.
    I'm not veggie but I accept that some people don't eat meat
    Many people I know used to eat it so they do in fact know the taste but still made the decision to stop
    Yeah. Maybe. But they all taste like s**e compared to the real thing.
    More nonsense based on ignorance
    Just go vegetarian and source your milk, eggs etc. ethically. It's not that hard. I think vegans are people with big issues around food and make it a daily war. Which is sad. Just eat the slice of chocolate cake with all its delicious butter, milk and cream, enjoy life.
    Seems like you have plenty of issues of your own if this rant is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Made my own homemade burgers this evening with proper steak mince from the butchers - no breadcrumbs, egg or onions, just pressed the meat into burger shape, seasoned and griddled them up. Better than anything you'd come by in McDonald's, BK or any of that ****e by a country mile.

Why do these places add so much gunk to their patties? Mince is ****ing cheap like, and surely they could get it even cheaper if they buy it in the massive quantities they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't really care to be honest and if anything the range of options is super. It's a long way from the days you had to make an expedition to a special food shop somewhere.

It's not about avoiding bread, btw. A lot of sauces like soy sauce are made from wheat. Burgers have a 50 50 chance of having breadcrumbs. A lot of crisps are coated in barley flavouring. All breakfast cereals are coated in it as well. That's aside from cross contamination Etc

Some people are horribly intolerant to gluten, which I've never seen before.....always thought it was just a stomach ache or just a put-on.
    Was recently out with a friend for a snack. He had a ham sandwich. Had gluten free bread (he asked the waitress before hand if the sandwich was totally gluten free...queue the drama queen), no butter and just ham. About 30 minutes later he had to run to the loo. The orange crumb stuff on the ham contained gluten and was enough to set him off.

Heard so many stories about people demanding gluten free in a restaurant and all they were doing was following a fad. This was a total eye opener for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

FanadMan wrote: »
    Some people are horribly intolerant to gluten, which I've never seen before.....always thought it was just a stomach ache or just a put-on.
    Was recently out with a friend for a snack. He had a ham sandwich. Had gluten free bread (he asked the waitress before hand if the sandwich was totally gluten free...queue the drama queen), no butter and just ham. About 30 minutes later he had to run to the loo. The orange crumb stuff on the ham contained gluten and was enough to set him off.

Heard so many stories about people demanding gluten free in a restaurant and all they were doing was following a fad. This was a total eye opener for me.

Sounds like he is celiac which is serious but you're right in most cases it is just a mild sensitivity and some people imagine it.

Advertisement