Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel burger. No, no, no!

Options

Comments

I had a plant burger at an Honest Burger in London a few weeks back. Was sublime. Possibly the best burger I've ever had. I think it was unfortunately imported from the US but the company, Impossible Foods are opening up shop in the Netherlands. Should slash both the price and carbon footprint nicely.

I had an impossible burger recently, I couldn't believe how good it was. I'd happily give up meat (which I love) altogether if I had that option all the time. I was massively impressed.

I genuinely don't care whats on a menu. I can't begrudge one or two veggie/vegan options, it's not like I'm being forced to choose them myself if that's not what I want. I don't understand the fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bar week day breakfast I have to have meat (a lots of it in many cases) with every other meal or it just wouldn’t be a meal without it. Every Saturday and Sunday is a full fry for breakfast then also, wouldn’t be a weekend without it.

What a long winded way to say that you like eating meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm a meat eater but that fact is we will not be eating meat like we are now in the future, it's an absolute fact.

i'm a meat eater but that fact is we will not be eating meat like we are now in the future, it's an absolute fact.

I don’t see any reason why we won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I see the vegan propaganda about meat being bad has got into your head!

Bar week day breakfast I have to have meat (a lots of it in many cases) with every other meal or it just wouldn’t be a meal without it. Every Saturday and Sunday is a full fry for breakfast then also, wouldn’t be a weekend without it.

not at all i can see the difference myself in my training times and in my general well being, i like it too much to give up but i can see its not good for me.

a full fry wont be good for you regardless

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

a full fry wont be good for you regardless

I don’t see it as being partially bad either though and damn it’s tasty. It’s been tradition at home to have a full irish breakfast every Saturday and Sunday since before I was born. Ive been having them pretty much every single weekend since I was able to eat that type of food and I have no intention of changing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I don’t see any reason why we won’t.

You really are in for a shock. Our approach to food is going to radically change due to our impact upon the climate.

Meat is going to change to being a luxury food item. It may not happen suddenly, but it is going to happen. The age of cheap meat is drawing to a close.

I don’t see it as being partially bad either though and damn it’s tasty. It’s been tradition at home to have a full irish breakfast every Saturday and Sunday since before I was born. Ive been having them pretty much every single weekend since I was able to eat that type of food and I have no intention of changing that.

i have no doubt that you want your life to stay exactly as it is until the day you die.

a fry is bad, surely you admit that, a load of processed mate fried, how can it be good for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You really are in for a shock. Our approach to food is going to radically change due to our impact upon the climate.

Meat is going to change to being a luxury food item. It may not happen suddenly, but it is going to happen. The age of cheap meat is drawing to a close.

I dont think so, we are producing more and more. We are about to start exporting 10 times more beef to china for example as Minister Creed signed some agreements yesterday. Which means we will need to import even more feed ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

says every lad west of the shannon, in reality its not.

Im a meat eater although im trying to cut down, not because i have an issue with animal welfare (i dont want to think about it to my own shame ) but because meat isnt really that good for us and i train better when im not eating meat.

A diet that contains both meat and dairy and plenty of fruit and veg is the healthiest possible. Unless you're eating huge amounts of processed meat such as bacon and salamis or going well over the recommended 80 to 100g of red meat a day there is no benefit in cuting down.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    A diet that contains both meat and dairy and plenty of fruit and veg is the healthiest possible. Unless you're eating huge amounts of processed meat such as bacon and salamis or going well over the recommended 80 to 100g of red meat a day there is no benefit in cuting down.

most people dont eat plenty of fruit and veg though. i find focusing on trying to eat more naturally means less meat, for example you dont need meat with every meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

a fry is bad, surely you admit that, a load of processed mate fried, how can it be good for you?

Nox is a person who insists that drinking 15 to 20 pints and a few shorts on a day out isn't unhealthy. I don't think you're going to get him to move on the fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I had a plant burger at an Honest Burger in London a few weeks back. Was sublime. Possibly the best burger I've ever had. I think it was unfortunately imported from the US but the company, Impossible Foods are opening up shop in the Netherlands. Should slash both the price and carbon footprint nicely.

I remember staying with a friend of a friend once years back for a gig and they were veggies.

Had some kind of veggie burger (you have to excuse my ignorance here, no idea what is was) and it was delicious.

So, it can be done.

The Japs don't eat dairy and they're arguably the healthiest people in the world.

Nothing but Scaremongering imo. I don’t see any major change to our meat eating into the future.

In any case we own our own land and stock so we will always have meat. I’d have no issue with meat being more expensive either it’s not sustainable at current prices for the farmers producing it but that won’t stop most people eating it pretty much every meal.

Nox is a person who insists that drinking 15 to 20 pints and a few shorts on a day out isn't unhealthy. I don't think you're going to get him to move on the fry.

thats true

im struggling to believe that he is only a stone overweight

he must have some metabolism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Japs don't eat dairy and they're arguably the healthiest people in the world.

The Japanese are incredible, as is their diet, particularly in Okinawa. It seems they get most of their calcium from small fish bones and tofu, which contains a surprising amount of it. Apparently shiitake mushrooms help with absorption as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Notdeco wrote: »
    So burger King have spread the v virus to Ireland.
    And I'm not happy...

If I want a burger, I want it to be real meat. If I want a salad I want it to be a salad.
    Ah the poor vegans want it all.
    Well ye can fook off and eat seeds and help the planet and leave the tasty food to us that enjoy flavour.

Had to be said.
    I can't be the only one to think this, maybe I am...

Stop eating in Burger King - you will live longer.

most people dont eat plenty of fruit and veg though. i find focusing on trying to eat more naturally means less meat, for example you dont need meat with every meal.

You could if your average intake was the recommened 80g a day of red meat and bulked up with chicken.

Lots of junk science about plant based diets. Fake documentaries such Game Changers and Forks Over Knives guilty of spreading these false claims.

You could if your average intake was the recommened 80g a day of red meat and bulked up with chicken.

Lots of junk science about plant based diets. Fake documentaries such Game Changers and Forks Over Knives guilty of spreading these false claims.

I don't eat red meat and I'm perfectly healthy. It's not necessary.

• Advertisement

I don't eat red meat and I'm perfectly healthy. It's not necessary.

Never said it was, but its not unhealthy and full of nutrients.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

This from the NY Times may help explain why Burger King are selling the "rebel burger" in Europe.
    Apologies if this has been posted already.
    The Impossible Whopper — made by California-based Impossible Foods — attracted many new U.S. customers to Burger King when it debuted this spring. Miami-based Restaurant Brands International — which owns Burger King — said the chain's U.S. sales rose 6% in the third quarter, compared to growth of 1% the prior year..
    Sales of plant-based meat substitutes have grown an average of 22% annually in Eastern Europe over the last five years, and 13% annually in Western Europe

Full Article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Had one yesterday. Very tasty. Don't know why I'd bother eating a regular Whopper now. It's not as though the filthy beef patty is even 'meat' proper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's not really a rigours argument, moreso a lazy dismissal via the overused fake news card.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So they’re not organic and use genetically engineered food. Wont be long until the purity brigade turn on them.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/what-is-in-impossible-burger-ingredient-list-2019-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ipso wrote: »
    So they’re not organic and use genetically engineered food. Wont be long until the purity brigade turn on them.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/what-is-in-impossible-burger-ingredient-list-2019-5

That’s the American version which isn’t what’s being sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Cultured Dextrose" would be an excellent name for a post-New Age electro-funk outfit.

That’s the American version which isn’t what’s being sold here.

What ingredients are in the those ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What ingredients are in the those ones?

No idea but it’s made by a Dutch company. They couldn’t use the American ones because of the GM ingredients.

• Advertisement

No idea but it’s made by a Dutch company. They couldn’t use the American ones because of the GM ingredients.

The humanity!

Advertisement