Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Kivaro wrote: »
    I heard RTE brow beating him in an interview yesterday demanding a number of times for him to apologise to Nigerians in Ireland.
    His response was measured i.e. he contacted the World Bank for clarification on their figures, and that those figures were not taken down by the World Bank so it looked like they were standing behind the amount of money being sent to Nigeria by Nigerians in Ireland.

It’s not measured at all. It’s gaslighting. The world and their dog knows at this stage that the World Bank didn’t generate those figures. They received them from the Nigerian Government, who’s methodology for coming up with the figure is self-evidently ridiculous. The World Bank have flagged the figure with a health warning as to it’s verifiability from the get-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭enricoh

I heard RTE brow beating him in an interview yesterday demanding a number of times for him to apologise to Nigerians in Ireland.
    His response was measured i.e. he contacted the World Bank for clarification on their figures, and that those figures were not taken down by the World Bank so it looked like they were standing behind the amount of money being sent to Nigeria by Nigerians in Ireland.

Didn't hear it, jaysus he'll be public enemy no. 1 with rte and the asylum seeker industry quangos.
    He has deviated from the script and doesn't even beg forgiveness- disgraceful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Boggles wrote: »
    Precisely why I will remember this post and reply to it when the time comes.

2nd place Boggles as predicted. Never in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The remittances data are difficult to find.

However, on the first, more substantive issue, the vast majority of AS are bogus.

I don't really know much about Noel Grealish, but if he rejects bogus AS in Ireland, then he is 100% correct.

I suggest their claims should be processed at ports, and all Direct Provision be closed down.

Geuze wrote: »
    The remittances data are difficult to find.

However, on the first, more substantive issue, the vast majority of AS are bogus.

I don't really know much about Noel Grealish, but if he rejects bogus AS in Ireland, then he is 100% correct.

I suggest their claims should be processed at ports, and all Direct Provision be closed down.

That’s some remarkable skill you must have, for assessing asylum claims on the spot.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    That’s some remarkable skill you must have, for assessing asylum claims on the spot.

Sure is, pity it wasn't brought in 20 years ago, the spoofers would have enriched some other suckers!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/asylum-claims-by-georgians-and-albanians-brought-to-abrupt-halt-1.4149447?mode=amp

enricoh wrote: »
    Sure is, pity it wasn't brought in 20 years ago, the spoofers would have enriched some other suckers!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/asylum-claims-by-georgians-and-albanians-brought-to-abrupt-halt-1.4149447?mode=amp

Yeah. You understand that those were not asylum assessments? That asylum assessments take months, at a minimum?

Yeah. You understand that those were not asylum assessments? That asylum assessments take months, at a minimum?

They were assessed fairly lively as spoofers seeking asylum and were sent packing on the next plane, job done- spread the word back home thanks.
    I'm sure all those with their snouts in the asylum spoofer industry trough will be horrified at such low cost solutions

They were assessed fairly lively as spoofers seeking asylum and were sent packing on the next plane, job done- spread the word back home thanks.
    I'm sure all those with their snouts in the asylum spoofer industry trough will be horrified at such low cost solutions

No - they hadn’t made any claims at all. So clearly no claims were processed or assessed. Passengers travelling on fake identities were kept on the plane, that’s all. Anyone who got off that plane could have made an asylum claim - which would have taken the typical amount of time to assess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Many AS tear up their documents between the aircraft and the INIS desk.

These people are bogus AS.

This has all been reported, and is well known.

By checking documents on the aircraft, we can process the bogus claim very fast, and deport the same day.

Or stop them making the claim, as you explain.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Many AS tear up their documents between the aircraft and the INIS desk.

These people are bogus AS.

This has all been reported, and is well known.

By checking documents on the aircraft, we can process the bogus claim very fast, and deport the same day.

Or stop them making the claim, as you explain.

Yeah - that’s not processing a claim. And most asylum seekers don’t use false documents, so it’s not really any sort of ‘solution’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Didn't hear it, jaysus he'll be public enemy no. 1 with rte and the asylum seeker industry quangos.
    He has deviated from the script and doesn't even beg forgiveness- disgraceful!
    Fair play to him.
    He actually had the audacity (while talking to the RTE interviewer) to also bring up the Albanian and Georgian asylum scammers, and how there was now a dramatic reduction in asylum applicants from those countries after the Irish authorities did the sensible thing of checking identifications when they got off the plane.

It is also curious on how the Direct Provision centres that were forced on small already-under-resourced communities around the country never came up during the election cycle. It was like RTE had shut down the conversation. Prior to the election, there were news reports about asylum seekers almost on a daily basis from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,745 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2nd place Boggles as predicted. Never in doubt.

3rd on Count 8, 53 votes ahead of 4th.

There was definitely doubt.

Enjoy your winnings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Fair play to him.
    He actually had the audacity (while talking to the RTE interviewer) to also bring up the Albanian and Georgian asylum scammers, and how there was now a dramatic reduction in asylum applicants from those countries after the Irish authorities did the sensible thing of checking identifications when they got off the plane.

It is also curious on how the Direct Provision centres that were forced on small already-under-resourced communities around the country never came up during the election cycle. It was like RTE had shut down the conversation. Prior to the election, there were news reports about asylum seekers almost on a daily basis from RTE.

He got 2000 more first preference votes than his last time out so the people of Galway must like what he's doing for them.
    In comparison, Sean Kyne lost a lot of votes all around his homeland and ended up loosing his seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Also great to see Verona Murphy elected in Wexford.
    RTE must be truly disgusted with both Grealish and Murphy winning seats.

Nobody got elected in Galway West until the 8th count that saw Ó Cuiv 1st, Grealish 2nd and Farrell 3rd.
    There was 2 more seats to be filled after that so why was there doubt? He was the 2nd seat to be filled

🙄

Bullocks wrote: »
    Nobody got elected in Galway West until the 8th count that saw Ó Cuiv 1st, Grealish 2nd and Farrell 3rd.
    There was 2 more seats to be filled after that so why was there doubt? He was the 2nd seat to be filled

If any constituency is going to an 8th count before anyone gets elected there is always doubt, there is no perfect science to transfers, we saw some glaring examples of that today.

If any constituency is going to an 8th count before anyone gets elected there is always doubt, there is no perfect science to transfers, we saw some glaring examples of that today.

Ah stop...he was elected in the 8th count and the next candidate had to wait until the 12th count. He was never outside the top 3, was often 2nd and finished 2nd. He improved his FPV by 856 votes despite the massive SF vote (first SF TD in Galway West ever I believe). He was ahead of O'Cuiv in Count 6 and Count 7.

Never ever in doubt. I was at the count and they all knew the first 3 TDs after the first count. They were all 3000 votes ahead of 4th place.
    The first 3 seats were filled on Count 8.

Wrong.

2nd on Count 8, 53 ahead of 3rd.

• Advertisement

There was no doubt , they were the top three since the first count and well ahead of the others . Just not close enough to fill the quota immediately .

Wrong.

2nd on Count 8, 53 ahead of 3rd.

He finished 3rd in the poll.

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national/galway-west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Thats in alphabetical order Boggles. No way he could have improved that.

He finished 2nd Boggles , you're wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amazed at the effort by Boggles being put into mental gymnastics to prove he is somehow partially "right".

The dogs on the street in Galway West (and further afield in Galway East, Rosc and midlands) knew Noel Grealish was going to be elected.

Homelander wrote: »
    Amazed at the effort by Boggles being put into mental gymnastics to prove he is somehow partially "right".

The dogs on the street in Galway West (and further afield in Galway East, Rosc and midlands) knew Noel Grealish was going to be elected.

It's scraping the bottom of the barrel when the worst that can be said is that there was doubt during the count that he mightn't get a seat ,and this was after he got the 2nd seat .

What poll are you on about?

He was elected 2nd. I know what I am talking about.

I am not really sure what point you are making to be honest.

Homelander wrote: »

What do you mean?

I never said he wouldn't be elected.

It's a constituency that keeps bringing us Éamon Ó Cuív FFS, it's hardly a huge surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Was it Mary Wilson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

I doubt that. They're a hit for ratings.

Advertisement