Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Grealish will 100% get re-elected. Seriously it's a foregone conclusion.

I really have no idea whether he will be re-elected or not,however i would be very happy if the gowl was rejected in the poll.

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah I don't read content from God bothering bible thumping Neanderthals, I also dislike the cretin who owns the site.

I have said that several times now, It's a policy not an agenda.

I don't think I could be clearer at this stage.

So you discriminate based on religion. How very “tolerant” of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you discriminate based on religion. How very “tolerant” of you.

When did I ever claim to be tolerant?

Also discrimination, the cretin is free to peddle any conspiracy theories he wants and grift for donations, as I am free to say no I won't be reading your crazy today.

What's your problem exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

https://imtconferences.com/nigerian-diaspora-remittances/

The total amount worldwide in 24.3 billion Us dollars , Ireland percentage is 2% which is 486 million US US $ . These figures come from the Nigerian central bank .

This does not take into account the informal sector . There is no limit on cash brought into Nigeria as long as its declared and deposited in either of 2 banks in the airport .

https://www.pwc.com/ng/en/pdf/the-economic-power-of-nigerias-diaspora.pdf

23.63 billion US $ worldwide in 2018 . World Bank .

The emittance figure for Ireland is 473 million US $ .

https://cenfri.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Barriers-to-remittances-in-SSA-vol-6-Nigeria.pdf

The same figure here 473 million for Ireland and from The Central Bank of Nigeria.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269853553_DYNAMICS_OF_REMITTANCE_UTILIZATION_BY_NIGERIAN_HOUSEHOLDS

The remittance estimate here is 10 billion based on households only . Nigeria ranks as the top 10 for remittances . This based on the 2% from the first link is 200 million US $ from Ireland .

What is evident is that the CSO figure of 17 million euro a year is a total guess .

The only mistake Noel Grealish made was using strong language in his question of the amounts and the stark difference . There is however no interest to find out the reason for this difference from government .

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

emo72 wrote: »
    People rounding on him for asking an obvious question. The condemnation to that is extreme. Eoghan Murphy calling it disgusting on Kenny this morning. That will lead to more people getting annoyed that questions are not even tolerated now. Even if there is a logical explanation that would be fine. Since when are questions not allowed. Grealish will be getting more support due to the backlash against him irrespective if he is right or wrong.

Is Noel going to back Eoghan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/world-bank-agrees-to-flag-nigeria-transfers-after-row-38808617.html

An update on the remittances still no way to get an accurate figure .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

rgossip30 wrote: »
    https://imtconferences.com/nigerian-diaspora-remittances/

The total amount worldwide in 24.3 billion Us dollars , Ireland percentage is 2% which is 486 million US US $ . These figures come from the Nigerian central bank .

This does not take into account the informal sector . There is no limit on cash brought into Nigeria as long as its declared and deposited in either of 2 banks in the airport .

https://www.pwc.com/ng/en/pdf/the-economic-power-of-nigerias-diaspora.pdf

23.63 billion US $ worldwide in 2018 . World Bank .

The emittance figure for Ireland is 473 million US $ .

https://cenfri.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Barriers-to-remittances-in-SSA-vol-6-Nigeria.pdf

The same figure here 473 million for Ireland and from The Central Bank of Nigeria.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269853553_DYNAMICS_OF_REMITTANCE_UTILIZATION_BY_NIGERIAN_HOUSEHOLDS

The remittance estimate here is 10 billion based on households only . Nigeria ranks as the top 10 for remittances . This based on the 2% from the first link is 200 million US $ from Ireland .

What is evident is that the CSO figure of 17 million euro a year is a total guess .

The only mistake Noel Grealish made was using strong language in his question of the amounts and the stark difference . There is however no interest to find out the reason for this difference from government .
    Almost all of the ethnic minority owned businesses in Ireland have a money wiring facility for people to transfer money out of the country. Who monitors that and what is being sent out and by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Almost all of the ethnic minority owned businesses in Ireland have a money wiring facility for people to transfer money out of the country. Who monitors that and what is being sent out and by whom?

Apparently you monitor it seeing as you know they "almost all" have this facility.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Could the argument be made that all this money (from whoever, going to whereever) is in fact significant to our state due to the fact that we don't print money anymore. We borrow most from the ECB, at interest.

Irish in the US however live in a country that issues it's own currency.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Jesus you make it sound like a global conspiracy against Ireland. I got a wiring facility in my phone where I transfer money to the US everyday (PayPal)

• Advertisement

Apparently you monitor it seeing as you know they "almost all" have this facility.
    Is observation a crime now? Walk past any of the wig shops, halal butchers shops or Ethnic food stores and you'll see large bright signs on the windows advertising money transfer services. There must be a lot of commission to be made on those transfers or the businesses wouldn't be doing it. Why are you offended by an observation? There needs to be close scrutiny of money being transferred in and out of the country, who is sending it, how much is being sent and where it is being sent to?

If I go to my bank and want to wire money somewhere then there's paperwork to be filled out to make sure it's not proceeds of crime or whatever. Likewise if I try to take large sums of cash through a port or airport I'll be stopped and questioned about it.

We already know that there's a problem with students from ethic minorities allowing their bank accounts to be used to illegally transfer money in exchange for payment. The last few governments have known that there was a ridiculous amount of money being sent from Ireland to Nigeria and it was suggested that it should be investigated but it wasn't, probably ''cause racism'' to expect minorities to abide by the laws of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

It’s now racist to pinpoint and highlite irregularities. What a country we have become.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Jesus you make it sound like a global conspiracy against Ireland. I got a wiring facility in my phone where I transfer money to the US everyday (PayPal)

Have a scroll down in the paypal regulations and you'll see that the financial regulation is stringent, but you knew that.:D

https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full

Almost all of the ethnic minority owned businesses in Ireland have a money wiring facility for people to transfer money out of the country
    Is observation a crime now?

No, but sadly neither is talking complete shíté which your sweeping statement is.

Unless of course you have walked passed every "ethnic minority owned businesses in Ireland".

Have you?

No, but sadly neither is talking complete shíté which your sweeping statement is.

Unless of course you have walked passed every "ethnic minority owned businesses in Ireland".

Have you?
    Unless of course you have walked passed every ''ethnic minority owned business in Ireland'' and can prove me wrong. Have you?

Unless of course you have walked passed every ''ethnic minority owned business in Ireland'' and can prove me wrong. Have you?

You made the claim lad, it's up to you to back it up.

So have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

So have you?

Why are you arguing about this. All the African shops are also western union or money gram outlets? That's not controversial or racist to observe.

So have you?
    It's funny how you and your pal seem to overlap, almost like you have a shift change. I'm sure that's just coincidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have you?

Lad He said “almost all”. Not every single shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sk8erboii wrote: »

Issue is paypal doesnt allow you to send cash anonymously where moneygram do , thats why its preffered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Issue is paypal doesnt allow you to send cash anonymously where moneygram do , thats why its preffered
    I thought all money remitters needed to follow money laundering requirements, so it should be possible to identify who is sending money.

Just as an aside, increasing regulation seems to be impacting on the sector
    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/why-moneygram-down-nearly-80-year-whats-further-2019-02-19

MoneyGram's total revenues have been waning since 2015 through 2018 (except in 2016). The top line has been impacted by increasing compliance controls and imposing limits on certain transactions. Also, the effect of tighter restrictions in corridors such as Nigeria and the United States induced the revenue decline.
    But it looks like Nigeria will appear as a topic in any unbiased discussion of this topic.

It doesn't look impossible for some to find out from Western Union and MoneyGram how much money they transfer from Ireland, and where it goes.

Sort of surprised that question hasn't been asked.

Balf wrote: »
    I thought all money remitters needed to follow money laundering requirements, so it should be possible to identify who is sending money.

Just as an aside, increasing regulation seems to be impacting on the sectorBut it looks like Nigeria will appear as a topic in any unbiased discussion of this topic.

It doesn't look impossible for some to find out from Western Union and MoneyGram how much money they transfer from Ireland, and where it goes.

Sort of surprised that question hasn't been asked.

I doubt those companies want to hand over that info, theyve been fighting for years to do as little AML checking as possible, they know where their bread is buttered , they do t want to rock the boat

Why are you arguing about this. All the African shops are also western union or money gram outlets? That's not controversial or racist to observe.

That wasn't the claim. Either way no one said it was racist.

But again, if you are going to make a claim like you have just have, it's just basic manners to back it up.

Correct?
    It's funny how you and your pal seem to overlap, almost like you have a shift change. I'm sure that's just coincidence though.

So you can't backup your nonsense and have moved on to deflection.

Just realized you are a "new member", so as you were lad.
    He said “almost all”. Not every single shop.

Yes, I can read. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I doubt those companies want to hand over that info, theyve been fighting for years to do as little AML checking as possible, they know where their bread is buttered , they do t want to rock the boat
    Perhaps, but I think its good to remember that these entities are regulated and it should be possible to require them to report on what they do.

http://registers.centralbank.ie/FirmRegisterDataPage.aspx?firmReferenceNumber=C55075&register=61

Their general level of activity seems to be published already
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/western-union-profits-slump-25pc-despite-revenue-rise-37074338.html

"New accounts filed by Western Union Payment Services Ireland Ltd show that the company recorded the drop in profits as revenues increased by 2.5pc, going from $761.36m to $781.3m in the 12 months to the end of December last."

Balf wrote: »
    Perhaps, but I think its good to remember that these entities are regulated and it should be possible to require them to report on what they do.

http://registers.centralbank.ie/FirmRegisterDataPage.aspx?firmReferenceNumber=C55075&register=61

Their general level of activity seems to be published already
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/western-union-profits-slump-25pc-despite-revenue-rise-37074338.html

"New accounts filed by Western Union Payment Services Ireland Ltd show that the company recorded the drop in profits as revenues increased by 2.5pc, going from $761.36m to $781.3m in the 12 months to the end of December last."

True but i dont know how granular theyd be willing to hand up, these services preffer to market themselves as “sending $100 to your granny at christmas” rather than “sending half your welfare every week back to lagos”

If they were to reveal how much african countries over represent in their business they might be scrutinised a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

But again, if you are going to make a claim like you have just have, it's just basic manners to back it up.

Correct?

So what are you expecting? That the lad contacts a university and conducts a study to verify the claim that most ethnic shops also have a money transfer services? Don't think that's realistic bud.

Might be easier for you to point to a few examples where this isn't the case. Just find an afro-carribean store that doesn't also do western union, moneygram etc.

Should be easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Correct?

I’m sure you can read otherwise you wouldn’t be posting but still i note you didn’t say almost all in your post lad?

Might be easier for you to point to a few examples

Again this isn't very hard.

If someone makes a claim they should out of mere politeness back it up.

It's a bare minimum.

If they can't or refuse to, then they have 2 options, they can either retract it or deflect. The poster in question chose to deflect.

I’m sure you can read otherwise you wouldn’t be posting but still i note you didn’t say almost all in your post lad?

Now you just proved you can read.

Fair play to you.

Correct?

Ah, another poster who can't back up their views so resorts to insults and accusations. Your time would be better spent finding factual information that disproves posts by other members who have opposing views to your own, but I suppose that isn't possible because you are wrong and you can't provide that information. I'm sure you'd love the new hate speech laws. I'm curious, do you work for one of the NGO's? You don't have to answer that, but you do come across as someone who objects professionally in exchange for remuneration. No offence intended.

• Advertisement

Ah, another poster who can't back up their views so resorts to insults and accusations. Your time would be better spent finding factual information that disproves posts by other members who have opposing views to your own, but I suppose that isn't possible because you are wrong and you can't provide that information. I'm sure you'd love the new hate speech laws. I'm curious, do you work for one of the NGO's? You don't have to answer that, but you do come across as someone who objects professionally in exchange for remuneration. No offence intended.

So you can't back up your claim?
    Almost all of the ethnic minority owned businesses in Ireland have a money wiring facility for people to transfer money out of the country.

Fair enough, we will file that under BS so.

Advertisement