Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Odhinn wrote: »
    You think that Shia, christian and those of the Ahmadi sect aren't persecuted in pakistan?
    And if they are in one of those groups then OK. The vast majority aren't, as rejection rates show.
    You might be a bit more specific re "sub saharan africa"
    Not really. Most countries within that description are corrupt crapholes and we're certainly not getting the best of them that's for sure. The best of them will and do come through proper legal channels because they have the skills and education, the rest will be on a boat in the Med waiting for the Irish navy to pick them up, or will use the established migrant routes within the EU to get here and then claim "asylum", often from the UK, like yer wan who had the hard neck to run for public office in this country. Send them back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...........On the other hand those coming from places like Georgia, Pakistan, or sub Saharan Africa can bugger right off............

If you indeed acknowledge that you can come from pakistan and have a valid claim then why were you making the sweeping generaisation above?

Not really. Most countries within that description are corrupt crapholes and we're certainly not getting the best of them that's for sure. The best of them will and do come through proper legal channels because they have the skills and education, the rest will be on a boat in the Med waiting for the Irish navy to pick them up, or will use the established migrant routes within the EU to get here and then claim "asylum", often from the UK, like yer wan who had the hard neck to run for public office in this country. Send them back.

A vague bit of waffle, as its pointless to argue with such vast generalisations as "sub saharan africa"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

1641 wrote: »
    When any positive news story attached to an immigrant, however innocuous, triggers some posters to begrudgery and/or conspiracy theories, you really do have to scratch your head.

Well you have to scratch your head why this is meant to be a news story at all. The leaving cert results were months ago. Most of our medical students are non-nationals. There is a scholarship of a very trivial sum (it's undoubtedly less than the state pays out in free-fees and SUSI grants to about half of all third level students).

If the reason it's a news story is because she is a refugee, then that is precisely the part of the story that can't be discussed. It's a very boring catch-22 as far as a discussion goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

recedite wrote: »
    If they don't like it, they don't have to stay.

Am I detecting a bit of leftist xenophobia here?
    Why can't you just respect that other countries can have their own culture?
    Its called diversity.
    I'm not saying we should copy their culture, or import it here. They feel much the same way about our culture, and why shouldn't they.

Leftist xenophobia? I don't subscribe to the pigeonholing of ones political beliefs. Like many people (most?) I'm no more on the left than I am on the right, I hold a set of beliefs that spans across the supposed categories of the political spectrum.

I do respect that they have their culture, but I do not respect their disregard to human rights. It's not called diversity, it's called religious oppresion.

My point is that they can feel how they they like about our culture, we should rise above it, we have risen above it actually, we have recently done so in fact when we loosened the strangle hold on many previously oppressed members of our society.

My original reply was to the poster stating that she should not be allowed wear whatever clothes she wants in order to stay here, we've moved beyond that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nice story.

At the end of the day Irish women are not having enough babies to replace our current population.

Hence we have zero choice but to accept big immigration.

It's good to get the positive stories out there.

Most immigrants to Ireland are hard working and contributing massively to the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you indeed acknowledge that you can come from pakistan and have a valid claim then why were you making the sweeping generaisation above?
    Because the rejection rates mirror my "sweeping generalisation" to a tee. If one is faced with 3% of a group being one thing and 97% of a group being being another it's not a generalisation to point out the 97%. It proves the rule.
    A vague bit of waffle, as its pointless to argue with such vast generalisations as "sub saharan africa"
    I have found when you come back with "vague bit of waffle" it simply means you've eff all argument to actually come back with.

Economic freedom:

File:Index_of_Economic_Freedom_2018.png

Corruption index:

Facebook-_-Instagram-EN-750x420.jpg

Property rights for women:

LO-SCALE-1-2017.png

Child marriage:

UpdatedAOM1.png

Women's security:

MULTIVAR-SCALE-1-2019.png

Inequity in family law:

MULTIVAR-SCALE-3-2016.png

I specifically referenced women in said countries and the cultural attitudes to them as a gender and the fact they majority of these chancers making their way here are men.

So yeah, by damned near every metric Sub Saharan Africa is a collection of sholes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

Well you have to scratch your head why this is meant to be a news story at all. The leaving cert results were months ago. Most of our medical students are non-nationals. There is a scholarship of a very trivial sum (it's undoubtedly less than the state pays out in free-fees and SUSI grants to about half of all third level students).

If the reason it's a news story is because she is a refugee, then that is precisely the part of the story that can't be discussed. It's a very boring catch-22 as far as a discussion goes.

What rubbish! Except that it would not have been a big controversy on Boards if she had not been an immigrant and some people did not have a problem with this - or see it as part of some big conspiracy.

The William Campbell Bursary got news coverage at its launch (eg,https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/new-scholarship-recognises-a-giant-in-the-world-of-science-1.3897596)

This was not a Boards controversy job because there was no refugee involved.

The Bursary is a big deal - €5000 per year for up to 5 years of an undergraduate degree (which doesn't have to medicine - but science related). This is its first year - so obviously extra publicity. It has been highlighted at and since its launch as a way of promoting achievement in science in DEIS schools. The Young Scientist Award deservedly gets lots of publicity - but the award prize is only a one off €7,500, a lot less money.

And, yes, the Leaving Cert results were in August. But the Campbell award is dependent not only on Leaving Cert results but on the College confirming that the student has registered for, and is attending, the approved course. The announcement of the first winner was always going to get news coverage - which most people would have skipped if she hadn't been a recent Syrian migrant. Some were attracted to this because they found it inspirational - a good news story. And some were attracted because positive media attention to asylum annoyed them.

It is really pathetic that some people are triggered by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

1641 wrote: »
    Any idea why there are an estimated one million Syrians still in refugee camps in Lebanon and an estimated 600,000 plus in Jordan? They would like to go back to their homes but can't face the traffic jams, you reckon?

Get them over here quick then....along with the millions of Nigerians and Pakistanis and whoever else....Get them in quick

There's loads of people in the world in a bad way....if you are so concerned why don't you set up a sponsorship program to help bring someone to live in your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    On the face of it's a nice heartwarming story, especially considering the other stuff that made the front pages this week.

But maybe spare a thought for the 17 million odd people that didn't flee the country. It's all well and good resettling a tiny percentage of Syrians abroad, but pragmatically speaking it makes sfa difference in the scheme of things. Need much more effort and focus on trying to fix the instability there.

It,s worth noting that Ireland,and it's contributing population,IS putting a great deal of effort into attempting to "fix" instability,injustice,inequality and much else besides...

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/press-release-archive/2018/october/tanaiste-welcomes-budget-2019-allocations-for-overseas-development-assistance.php

€817,000,000 worth of effort last year,but it is apparently not enough to satisfy the needs of the oppressed World (or,at least the CEO's of the various "partners" which the DFA embrace in our National endeavours abroad).

But,still each year,we hear the refrain that "Ireland is not doing enough" to rescue humanity....oh well,next year perhaps ? :o

https://www.oxfamireland.org/blog/budget-2018

https://www.socialjustice.ie/content/taxonomy/tags/overseas-development

https://www.trocaire.org/sites/default/files/resources/policy/trocaire-budget-2018-submission.pdf

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    Get them over here quick then....along with the millions of Nigerians and Pakistanis and whoever else....Get them in quick

There's loads of people in the world in a bad way....if you are so concerned why don't you set up a sponsorship program to help bring someone to live in your home?

What is this manufactured outrage about?

I have not suggested bringing them over here. I am merely pointing out some facts to another poster who indicated his view that the Syrian refugee crisis was over and that all Syrians should now go home. Is this forbidden? Does it offend you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Nice story.

At the end of the day Irish women are not having enough babies to replace our current population.

Hence we have zero choice but to accept big immigration.

It's good to get the positive stories out there.

Most immigrants to Ireland are hard working and contributing massively to the country.

Absolute garbage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

You wouldn't have been as quick to shelter the Gaels of Ulster during the British campaign of the 70s and 80s. Don't come crying to my house if war breaks out in Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Because the rejection rates mirror my "sweeping generalisation" to a tee. If one is faced with 3% of a group being one thing and 97% of a group being being another it's not a generalisation to point out the 97%. It proves the rule.

I have found when you come back with "vague bit of waffle" it simply means you've eff all argument to actually come back with.

Economic freedom:

Corruption index:

Property rights for women:

Child marriage:

Women's security:

Inequity in family law:

I specifically referenced women in said countries and the cultural attitudes to them as a gender and the fact they majority of these chancers making their way here are men.

So yeah, by damned near every metric Sub Saharan Africa is a collection of sholes.

Why is the UK yellow for property rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Roversfan1 wrote: »

Goddammit, this stupid point hurts. Its like the playground argument of "Well if you like them so much why don't you marry them?"

Utter tosh. You made a stupid generalisation.
    wibbs wrote:

Again, sweeping generalisations rather than addressing the issue state by state.

jay0109 wrote: »
    Absolute garbage
    Of course it is and I'd bet the farm the same poster is all about the environment too. That's the joke. On the one hand we're told the sky is falling in because of human impact on the environment(it's certainly being affected by it and the single most impactful thing an individual can do to help is not have another child, yet at the same time we're told we need more people. Who is telling us both these contradictory lines? It's all down to money, always follow the money and those who seek to benefit. More people, more consumers and more producers, more money. Never mind that the idea of population decline rolled out as some sorta panic to seek to slide in this multiculturalism bullshmight go over in say Germany or Italy, it is utter bloody barefaced bullshwhen it comes to Ireland. We have the highest birthrate in the EU. Our population is growing. It shows the narrative is running from the same script, only it doesn't work for the Irish stage and yet they keep plugging it and people like that Kermit poster actually believe it when the demonstrable and checkable reality is quite different.
    Why is the UK yellow for property rights?
    Good question B, Sweden, Spain and a few others too. Short answer I dunno, which is also the long answer. It's also yellow for child brides. I somehow doubt that's the indigenous population...

jay0109 wrote: »
    Absolute garbage

It's true.

They will be paying your pension one way or another as "native" Irish women have less and less children.

It's demographic reality. There is no debate to be had.

Unless Irish women break all western trends and start breeding like rabbits or bringing the birth rate back up.

We need to bring in replacement numbers one way or another.

Utter tosh. You made a stupid generalisation.
    Yeah, you're kinda floundering here. As per usual. The exception proves the rule and the Irish agency tasked with accepting or rejecting claims agrees with me, because they prove that rule every day.
    Again, sweeping generalisations rather than addressing the issue state by state.
    I don't need to. The stats are in. I could fire links at you all the day long and state by state and the upshot will still be the same, much of Africa is fúcked and you will refuse to process it. It would be unthinkable for you. I admire your naivete, but at some point in one's life it becomes willful and not a little silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It's true.

They will be paying your pension one way or another as "native" Irish women have less and less children.

It's reality. There is no debate to be had.

Unless Irish women break all western trends and start breeding like rabbits or bringing the birth rate back up.

I hate to break it to you but refugee workers and asylum seekers get old too.....

Yeah, you're kinda floundering here. As per usual. The exception proves the rule and the Irish agency tasked with accepting or rejecting claims agrees with me, because they prove that rule every day.

I don't need to. The stats are in. I could fire links at you all the day long and state by state and the upshot will still be the same, much of Africa is fúcked and you will refuse to process it. It would be unthinkable for you. I admire your naivete, but at some point in one's life it becomes willful and not a little silly.

Condascending nonsense, as usual.

• Advertisement

I hate to break it to you but refugee workers and asylum seekers get old too.....

They have more children traditionally but also we need to bring them in simply for replacement.

Irish birth ratio is now below replacement.

No choice, just like Germany.

It's true.

It's reality. There is no debate to be had.

Good Jesus, you seem to be deluded by the BS you hear to a scary degree. These are the facts. Linkeh Inconvenient I know, but there you go.

europe-map-birth-rate.jpg

494760.jpeg

Ireland, about the highest birthrate in the EU. So where's your utter nonsense now KtF?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

recedite wrote: »
    No, Dubai does not grant asylum status, nor do they hand out citizenship like confetti. That's how they manage to keep control of their own country and maintain their culture. They are not stupid.
    They have a huge number of immigrant guest workers, including loads of hard working Syrians. But no foreign spongers.

Who says Syrians cant go back to Syria? The only problem is the traffic jam.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-47260450/the-syrians-returning-home-after-years-of-fleeing-war

Well that answers the people moaning "why are they coming here if they were in a wealthy country like UAE".

If UAE don't grant asylum status, they are entitled to move elsewhere to claim it. Or else they are at the mercy of UAE kicking them out and forcing them back to Syria.

Do you have an inherent problem with the idea of asylum in any circumstances?

Condascending nonsense, as usual.
    Can't debate outside your narrow comfort zone, as usual. You're near meme worthy at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They have more children traditionally but also we need to bring them in simply for replacement.

Replacement in jobs that pay below minimum wage and that we need to supplement with benefits anyway such as HAP?

This argument that we need them to "Pay for our pensions" lacks any semblance of logic.

If you were talking about bringing in 20,000 IT workers that would be net contributors to the economy right away, I would buy it.

And you don't address automation which is going to wipe out a lot of low income and even white collar jobs over the course of the next 20 years.

We will need less people - not more!

Good Jesus, you seem to be deluded by the BS you hear to a scary degree. These are the facts. Linkeh Inconvenient I know, but there you go.

494760.jpeg

Ireland, about the highest birthrate in the EU. So where's your utter nonsense now KtF?

Erm, think you need to check the latest figures? ;)

What nonsense now Wibbs?

NO, it is bloody well not. It would be really helpful if people dealt with actual facts. I know, crazy bloody idea. One that you seem at odds with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

494760.jpeg

To be fair, and I am not saying your point is not valid, but your graph/data shows that Ireland has highest birthrate in Europe, not that it is above replacement rate.

It my well be, but that data alone doesn't prove it. It could happen that all countries in Europe are below replacement rate...just that Ireland is the "least worst" of them

Erm, think you need to check the latest figures? ;)

What nonsense now Wibbs?
    There is a point where I truly wish I could wish about 30 IQ points away, to better comprehend and ignore nonsensical arguments. Is 2017 recent enough for you? The only country in(just about) the European continent with a higher birthrate is Turkey. Ireland comes in second place. We. Do. Not. Have. A, Population. Crisis. You are regurgitating bullshít

• Advertisement

To be fair, and I am not saying your point is not valid, but your graph/data shows that Ireland has highest birthrate in Europe, not that it is above replacement rate.

It my well be, but that data alone doesn't prove it. It could happen that all countries in Europe are below replacement rate...just that Ireland is the "least worst" of them
    I hear you DT, this "oh noes we're running outa people, what about our pensions" is a line that's been spun for years now as a call to have more kids, or more to import more people. I can well understand people buying into it. It's like background noise, especially in places like Germany(they've been here before and brought in a load of Turkish folks and read up on how that went...). However we are not Germany or other European states with a fall off in population.* The Irish population has been steadily going up and continues to go up. We do not have a demographic crises or anything like it. And this is provable reality. It shows how deep this spun line goes, when many rational people will still question it.

*something I would consider a positive long term.

Advertisement