Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Nobody is giving out about her as an individual and her success. Congratulations etc etc.....
    its more about why this story has been selected for news through RTE and spread to the outlets across the nation.
    Why would that be?

Why do they report the multitude of Lottery wins per month? Most of them anonymous?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Boggles wrote: »
    Why wouldn't RTE report the news? :confused:

They do "fluff" pieces like this all the time, I've never seen you have a problem with any of the other ones.

When it coincides with the leader of FG making a hard hitting speech hosted by the Immigrant Council of Ireland..you gotta scratch your head and think who holds the media strings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

When it coincides with the leader of FG making a hard hitting speech hosted by the Immigrant Council of Ireland..you gotta scratch your head and think who holds the media strings

When any positive news story attached to an immigrant, however innocuous, triggers some posters to begrudgery and/or conspiracy theories, you really do have to scratch your head.

1641 wrote: »
    When any positive news story attached to an immigrant, however innocuous, triggers some posters to begrudgery and/or conspiracy theories, you really do have to scratch your head.

The media is open to be scrutiny along with the political establishment, to draw connections between the 2 in such a small country is far from a conspiracy theory.
    RTÉ is a statutory body, run by a board appointed by the Government of Ireland... Leo and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Just be happy for the girl and move on FFS.
    I'm not saying she should not have received it, but I will always defend the right of people to question if she is a deserving recipient. That questioning of the agenda of the story and the narrative being spun might rankle somewhat with middle class cosmopolitan sensibilities in the same way as the pronunciation of foreigner as fordiner. :D

An award was granted. Publicly. Public resources were allocated. The justness of that is always open to question. The political motivation behind that is also open to question.

And that is nothing got to do with a capacity to be happy for others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Even though I wish her all the best it is slightly odd that the full story behind this scholarship hasn’t been told

Where’s the transparency on this one?

I was awarded a scholarship some years ago. Not a peep in the parish newsletter nor nothing. TBF, who cares? I can see why this person warranted a news item. It's interesting. If folks first reaction is to look for the conspiracy behind it, I'd suggest they've the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Fair play to her but I'm quite indifferent to it, same with the thousands of other succesful students that I don't know.

It's not begrudgery to question why this story is being pushed especially when parts of the story appear to be embellished to suit the media's agenda.

And since when does being cynical make you a conspiracy theorist? Or is it just a lazy way to try discredit someone without having to rebuke their comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fair play to her but I'm quite indifferent to it, same with the thousands of other succesful students that I don't know.

It's not begrudgery to question why this story is being pushed especially when parts of the story appear to be embellished to suit the media's agenda.

And since when does being cynical make you a conspiracy theorist? Or is it just a lazy way to try discredit someone without having to rebuke their comments?

That make's you a conspiracy theorist. The Trumpesque idea that the media is one unit acting towards the same goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you are saying Leo made RTE run the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Nobody is giving out about her as an individual and her success. Congratulations etc etc.....
    its more about why this story has been selected for news through RTE and spread to the outlets across the nation.
    Why would that be?

Bigotry of low expectations.

• Advertisement

The media is open to be scrutiny along with the political establishment, to draw connections between the 2 in such a small country is far from a conspiracy theory.
    RTÉ is a statutory body, run by a board appointed by the Government of Ireland... Leo and friends

Oh look! It is not just RTE. They have taken over them all. Yikes - Look:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/syrian-teen-who-lived-direct-20826521
    https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/4745126/syrian-refugee-scholarship-medicine-leaving-cert/

https://www.thejournal.ie/suaad-alshleh-direct-provision-4881378-Nov2019/
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/syrian-medical-student-who-lived-in-direct-provision-hopes-to-inspire-others-962262.html
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/success-story-scholarship-to-study-medicine-for-refugee-suaad-17-38669368.html
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/syrian-refugee-student-wins-state-scholarship-1.4074645
    https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/schools/491931/laois-syrian-former-refugee-wins-new-medical-scholarship.html
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/syrian-medical-student-who-lived-in-direct-provision-hopes-to-inform-and-inspire-others-962262.html
    https://www.irishpost.com/news/syrian-refugee-came-ireland-aged-14-wins-scholarship-study-medicine-royal-college-surgeons-173592
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2019/11/06/syrian-medical-awarded-william-c-campbell-bursary/
    https://www.northernsound.ie/former-resident-monaghan-direct-provision-centre-thanks-community-support/

So you are saying Leo made RTE run the story?

Who appoints the RTE board of management?

Do you think putin ever had a hand in any story run through RT - Russia Today? If i claimed this you wouldn't bad an eyelid

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm not saying she should not have received it, but I will always defend the right of people to question if she is a deserving recipient. That questioning of the agenda of the story and the narrative being spun might rankle somewhat with middle class cosmopolitan sensibilities in the same way as the pronunciation of foreigner as fordiner. :D

An award was granted. Publicly. Public resources were allocated. The justness of that is always open to question. The political motivation behind that is also open to question.

It's a decent story, but an absolute fluff piece. You are over thinking it.

If it was some ginger kid from Kerry, would you be demanding proof it was deserving? No you wouldn't, you wouldn't be in here at all banging on about "public resources". :rolleyes:

This story is driving the basket of individuals nuts because

A. Young intelligent successful lady
    B. She is a fordiner.

It is great to watch the usual crew tie themselves up over her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

topper75 wrote: »

Of course people have the right to question things. The point is that they are not questioning it out of a sense of civic or fiscal responsibility and a desire to ensure that public funds are being allocated appropriately. They are questioning it purely because she is an immigrant.

I'm not directing this at you, but to say that that is not the case is patently ridiculous. This "questioning" is related to her status as an immigrant, not the potential misappropriation of public funds.

It's gas how many people are at pains to pretend that they are not talking about what they are clearly dying to talk about.

(And I pronounce foreigner like fordener ;) )

Who appoints the RTE board of management?

Do you think putin ever had a hand in any story run through RT - Russia Today? If i claimed this you wouldn't bad an eyelid

I asked you a simple question and you responded with a question and some whataboutery.

I'll ask again, are you saying Leo made RTE run the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whattahatta

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    The thread title worried me, but I'm glad to see the positive post.

As a brown man, I have always think Ireland is a welcoming and inclusive place :)

Well, I have seen other suggestions that RTE is run by "lefties", "Sinn Fein",
    "the homeless industry" and now it is Fine Gael. Maybe that suggests they are doing something right.

Its funny how every sub-group jumps on the "mainstream media" when something is published which doesn't conform with their own particular agenda or worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

The year I did my LC (many years ago!) there was a two page feature in the Irish Times on all the students in the country who got 600 points (I think there were about 6 or 7.)
    Was there a political agenda behind that too? They were all white Irish as I recall.
    This kind of stuff will always make the news from time to time. I seriously doubt that any of the begrudgers would have done well enough in their own leaving cert to be considered for something like this anyway, so their bile is inappropriate.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love the way the same people saying they’re delighted for her because she’s a genuine case are the same ones who celebrate when plans for asylum seekers in whatever part of the country are shelved.

If it was up to them she wouldn’t have even come here in the first place because ‘dur they might be fake’.

• Advertisement

lozenges wrote: »
    The year I did my LC (many years ago!) there was a two page feature in the Irish Times on all the students in the country who got 600 points (I think there were about 6 or 7.)
    Was there a political agenda behind that too?
    They were all white Irish as I recall.
    This kind of stuff will always make the news from time to time. I seriously doubt that any of the begrudgers would have done well enough in their own leaving cert to be considered for something like this anyway, so their bile is inappropriate.

That depends. Were there more women than men? Then it was "the feminist agenda". It wouldn't have been published otherwise!

I asked you a simple question and you responded with a question and some whataboutery.

I'll ask again, are you saying Leo made RTE run the story?

Not an individual but a political party such as FG has in my opinion ran stories and definitely have worked this story into the headlines to coincide with a major speach at the immigration council of Ireland.

Now you answer mine..who appoints the RTE Board?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Well, I have seen other suggestions that RTE is run by "lefties", "Sinn Fein",
    "the homeless industry" and now it is Fine Gael.
    Maybe that suggests they are doing something right.

Its funny how every sub-group jumps on the "mainstream media" when something is published which doesn't conform with their own particular agenda or worldview.
    Sure you have some people on here who claim Fine Gael are far left eek.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Waffle.

RTÉ does run stories that criticise the government, because the government does not exert control over what RTÉ does and does not publish. Look at Cervicalcheck. If that had happened in Russia it would have been suppressed. Russian media does not criticise Putin for reasons that do not need elaboration.

The fact you'd compare the two is astonishing. You've no idea how lucky you are to live in a country where the press is free to criticise the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Third level education is funded by the taxpayer. So presumably you will insist that everyone attending has their qualifications published so that you can satisfactorily verify their eligibility.

Ditto third level grants.

Social Welfare is payed for by the taxpayer. You will of course want everyone's circumstances published so that you can verify that they qualify.

Ditto medical cards.

Add to the list as you like. But if this bursary was won by a white Irish national (as no doubt it will in the future) there will be no such call.

This is not about race. It is about the holes in this story and the way in which it comes highly promoted at a time when there is tension about refugees. The welfare rates you refer to above are public knowledge.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Waffle.

RTÉ does run stories that criticise the government, because the government does not exert control over what RTÉ does and does not publish. Look at Cervicalcheck. If that had happened in Russia it would have been suppressed. Russian media does not criticise Putin for reasons that do not need elaboration.

The fact you'd compare the two is astonishing. You've no idea how lucky you are to live in a country where the press is free to criticise the State.

It is laughable, pretty disgusting but, unfortunately in the age of conspiracy theories, not astonishing.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Waffle.

Who appointed the RTE board, the government of Ireland did, thats an indisputable FACT.....
    If board members make private assurances to politicians theres absolutely no freedom no matter how its dressed up.

Palmach wrote: »
    This is not about race. It is about the holes in this story and the way in which it comes highly promoted at a time when there is tension about refugees. The welfare rates you refer to above are public knowledge.

But it is not about welfare rates. If we follow the line of questioning by some on this thread, Why are the circumstances of all receiving welfare not made public, as the payments are coming from "the public purse"? We want to know how they qualify don't we - just to be sure, like?

Who appointed the RTE board, the government of Ireland did, thats an indisputable FACT.....
    If board members make private assurances to politicians theres absolutely no freedom no matter how its dressed up.

Genuine question here. How do you disprove a conspiracy theory?

• Advertisement

Genuine question here. How do you disprove a conspiracy theory?

How can a fact be a conspiracy theory?

Advertisement