Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

medoc wrote: »
    Digiweb have upped my profile to the 500mb. Getting 475-487 wired and about 325mb on WiFi.

Just checked and I've been bumped up to 500 as well :D

Now I'll seriously need to consider running external CAT6 cable around the house to remove the powerline adaptors. Fairly big job though....

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just checked and I've been bumped up to 500 as well :D

Now I'll seriously need to consider running external CAT6 cable around the house to remove the powerline adaptors. Fairly big job though....

I must say it’s great service from Digiweb. I emailed them to ask about it and it was done before I even got a reply. I needn't have bothered them with the question at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

medoc wrote: »
    I must say it’s great service from Digiweb. I emailed them to ask about it and it was done before I even got a reply. I needn't have bothered them with the question at all.

Yeah defo. I asked them on chat around 10 days ago and got the "very soon" reply. Normally that means a wait of indeterminable time. Very pleasantly surprised to get it so quickly. Can't complain about that!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Our website has now also been updated and the 300 Mbit/s package will be retired and replaced with 500 Mbit/s.

All existing customers on 300 Mbit/s will be upgraded to 500 Mbit/s within the next week.

Pricing as usual on https://airwire.ie/products

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Our website has now also been updated and the 300 Mbit/s package will be retired and replaced with 500 Mbit/s.

All existing customers on 300 Mbit/s will be upgraded to 500 Mbit/s within the next week.

Pricing as usual on https://airwire.ie/products

Thats brilliant, thank you !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Back when we first heard about the new 500 profile, I imagined that Eir customers would get this automatically or very soon afterwards. As it turns out there isn't any word on current Eir customers getting this upgrade while the other providers are all rolling this out right now. The fact that there is no 300 or 500 plan option from Eir for new customers makes be belief this middle tier plan has been completely abandoned by Eir. I contacted Eir support several times to see what the story is regarding this 500 profile and nobody has gotten back to me, there is nobody on chat, left messages on their facebook chat as well. I was left on hold on the phone too. I think during this covid pandemic Eir have completely shut up shop it seems or they just don't care. The Eir Support forum here on boards is now long gone, that used to be the one area of support I could depend upon for an answer.

If I don't get a response from Eir over the next week will look into changing to another provider who can give me the 500!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Gonzo wrote: »
    I contacted Eir support several times to see what the story is regarding this 500 profile and nobody has gotten back to me, there is nobody on chat, left messages on their facebook chat as well.

Maybe try contact them on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/eir/with_replies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Gonzo wrote: »
    I dunno if this has been mentioned before but:

Eir is reducing the rate it charges other operators by €5 per month for its fastest fibre broadband. Hopefully the customer will notice a decrease in price across all packages by the summer. The price cuts are scheduled for July 1.

Eir is also reducing the 'wholesale' charge to rival retailers to connect customers up to its lines, bringing the cost down from €170 to €100.

The price cuts will see Eir's wholesale charge fall by €5 per month on its 300Mbs and 500Mbs services, putting them in the same monthly wholesale price bracket (€23.50 excluding Vat) as Eir's 150Mbs wholesale service, whose price is unchanged.

Eir's top-tier 1Gbps service is also reduced by €5 from €33.50 to €28.50 (excluding Vat).

Looks like Eir wants to phase out it's 150 offering as that will be the only plan without any price decrease.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/broadband-prices-for-homes-and-businesses-to-fall-as-eir-cuts-charges-39147623.html

open eir publishes FTTH 2020 wholesale price reduction notice on their website - https://www.openeir.ie/promotions-and-price-reductions/

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Broadband-Price-List-V16_2-marked-20042020.pdf
    FTTH price reductions 2020

open eir, the wholesale arm of eir, has announced reductions in the amount it charges retail telecoms operators for connecting fibre to the home (FTTH) broadband to end users. The wholesale charge for connecting a customer will fall from €170 to €100. The monthly rental prices for our flagship 1Gbps connection profile will drop by €5. Building on the April 2020 launch of 500Mb profile, the prices for the 500Mb and 300Mb profiles will also be reduced by €5 to match the 150Mbps connection (all prices ex VAT).

open eir provides the underlying connectivity to approximately two thirds of fixed broadband subscribers in Ireland and has passed more than 500,000 premises with next generation gigabit FTTH as part of plans that will see a total of 1.4 million premises passed with FTTH within five years. Once completed, the open eir network will cover 84% of the premises in the country with future-proofed FTTH technology capable of speeds of 1 Gbps and beyond.

Eavann Murphy, Managing Director of open eir said “Following the outbreak of Covid-19, and the unprecedented increase in people working and studying from home, the importance of high-speed and reliable broadband connectivity has never been more clear. These wholesale price reductions will ultimately allow more families to benefit from the unmatched speeds and reliability of next generation fibre”.

The new charges will become effective on July 1st 2020 and retail telecoms operators will have the opportunity to pass these savings on to end customers.
    Pricing & Connection fee reductions

€5 Price Reduction on 300 MB, 500MB & 1GB FTTH profiles

• All 300MB, 500MB & 1GB FTTH profiles will be included (Including VUA)
    • Available to all operators
    • Permanent price change
    • 500MB & 300MB profiles equals 150MB pricing
    • Regional and Urban price both decrease by €5
    • Launch date = 1st July 2020

Regional Pricing| Max Port Speed| Current VUA Price| Adjusted Pricing
    FTTC x 1| 100Mb| €19.79|
    FTTH Low| 150Mb| €23.50|
    FTTH Mid| 300Mb| €28.50| €23.50
    FTTH High|1Gb| €33.50| €28.50

Reduction on connection fee from €170 to €100
    • All FTTH profiles will be included (Including VUA)
    • Available to all operators
    • Permanent change
    • All sales, new to Open eir or migrations will have a connection fee of €100
    • Launch date = 1st July 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That will only be effective 1.7. and with the way things are going can still change before then, I'm afraid. 16.2 is only a proposed pricing list.

But if they stick with that, it's overall good news.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So if the 500 MBPS wholesale price is now the same as for 150, then the retail price of the two should now become the same, effectively eliminating any point for 150 to exist?

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    So if the 500 MBPS wholesale price is now the same as for 150, then the retail price of the two should now become the same, effectively eliminating any point for 150 to exist?

No. Because the wholesale price does not include the transit pricing to the provider nor their upstream pricing.

Also, that pricing list is a proposal and not a final document.

There is a lot more than just the OpenEIR wholesale pricing to the cost of the product to the actual provider. Transit, Upstream, Support, Gear, their own infrastructure, additional extras, etc.

It does mean though, that if that pricing ends up like that as final pricing, that we may see some very competitive changes in the retail market.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That will only be effective 1.7. and with the way things are going can still change before then, I'm afraid. 16.2 is only a proposed pricing list.

Now that they've published the notice on their website I assume the decision is final. The proposal was published last month.

Why have they decided to do this reduction now, wholesale pricing appears similar to NBI's NBP pricing? No competition between the two wholesalers on the ground. Does anyone remember the indicative monthly cost for the NBP's 150 Mbps product?

What is SIRO's wholesale pricing in their urban rollout, where they will be competing?

Could also be eircom reacting to the Sky vs. Comreg dispute on access pricing from last year - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111525587#post111525587

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The Cush wrote: »
    Now that they've published the notice on their website I assume the decision is final.

Nope. It's still a proposal. The current published price list is V16.0.

It's likely to turn into V17 and become the published price list, but until then it's a proposal.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nope. It's still a proposal. The current published price list is V16.0.

It's likely to turn into V17 and become the published price list, but until then it's a proposal.

I accept that is a proposal document but I was referring to the public notice published yesterday on their website, https://www.openeir.ie/promotions-and-price-reductions/
    Unlikely that they would come along in the next month or so and say "that thing we said we were going to do from July 1st, well we're not going to do that now".

Can't see any of the retailers objecting to the proposed changes

The Cush wrote: »
    I accept that is a proposal document but I was referring to the public notice published yesterday on their website, https://www.openeir.ie/promotions-and-price-reductions/
    Unlikely that they would come along in the next month or so and say "that thing we said we were going to do from July 1st, well we're not going to do that now".

Can't see any of the retailers objecting to the proposed changes

I agree that it's likely to become final, but until it's published as the current price list, it's still just a proposal. I know that seems nit-picky, but it's a regulated environment and details are important.

I agree that it's likely to become final, but until it's published as the current price list, it's still just a proposal. I know that seems nit-picky, but it's a regulated environment and details are important.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tmcg123123

Hi guys

Eir Fibre (Rural Fibre Lines, the yellow ones on the rollout map) are available on my road and where my connection comes from. Unfortunately we're up a lane and have ducting up to the house, when I search my Eircode better speeds aren't available, however my neighbour up the street maybe 100m, with their Eircode, Eir's website says fibre speeds available?

Anyone any idea how to resolve this?
    Thinking of getting our own fibre lines put in and then having Eir connect them to the poles on their end, but unsure of what Fibre cabling is needed, or how to get Eir to come out and either have a look or to do something about it?

Been going around in circles for weeks trying to sort something out to no luck and at the end of my tether

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is difficult to see that as a proposed price reduction considering the terminology used ......
    open eir, the wholesale arm of eir, has announced reductions ...
    The new charges will become effective on July 1st 2020
    Permanent price change

The official price list to retailers might not be available yet, but there really is no way of reading that announcement except these price reductions WILL apply from the date specified.

Unless I missed it, there is no use of 'propose' in any form in that announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

tmcg123123 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Eir Fibre (Rural Fibre Lines, the yellow ones on the rollout map) are available on my road and where my connection comes from. Unfortunately we're up a lane and have ducting up to the house, when I search my Eircode better speeds aren't available, however my neighbour up the street maybe 100m, with their Eircode, Eir's website says fibre speeds available?

Anyone any idea how to resolve this?
    Thinking of getting our own fibre lines put in and then having Eir connect them to the poles on their end, but unsure of what Fibre cabling is needed, or how to get Eir to come out and either have a look or to do something about it?

Been going around in circles for weeks trying to sort something out to no luck and at the end of my tether

Not going to happen unfortinatlly. The idea of this phase of Eir FTTH was to grab all the low hanging fruit before the national broadband plan comes in. Your house was not considered low hanging fruit.

There is no fibre port assigned to you house back at the exchange and eir will not allow other people equipment on their network.

The official price list to retailers might not be available yet, but there really is no way of reading that announcement except these price reductions WILL apply from the date specified.

Unless I missed it, there is no use of 'propose' in any form in that announcement.

You read too much into that. They are REQUIRED to publish these documents. It's a regulatory process, so that the providers and Comreg then can react to those, where needed.

If go back to the point, where they were talking about a scheme, that would have re-imbursed connection fees to the provider depending on the time, that a customer was with them, when the customer leaves. That was also in such a proposed price list. And a month later, they removed the installation fees and jacked the connection fees from 2.50 to 170 EUR instead, so that it cost the same to change a connection or to install a new one.

Also, OpenEIRs wholesale prlcing is only the pricing for the last mile. There's more to it for each provider.

Even with these changes, it'll still cost the provider 100 EUR+vat every time, nevermind if it's a provider change or a new installation. And OpenEIR are the only ones doing it.

/M

• Advertisement

It's being announced as a fait accompli, sure. But I'm telling you the regulatory reality: until it's in the current published price list, it's a proposal. At the moment, despite all the hoopla, it exists as (a) an announcement with a load of publicity, and (b) a draft pricelist.

Again: I expect it to happen, but from a regulatory perspective, it's only a proposal until it's the published pricelist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Advice for those with Dell or Alienware laptops still suffering from slow ethernet even after uninstalling Killer/Smartbyte

Go to device manager and uninstall Killer Ethernet and then scan for new hardware. It'll reinstall instantly and you'll get 900mb>

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Can anybody confirm what is the story for new builds along eir's FTTH network?

I have some memory that as part of the 300k contract eir agreed that any new builds would be connected to the Fibre network.
    Have I made that up?
    And if its true, is their any official process to get a premise added, or just signing up with a provider who will fight with Openeir to get the address added?

I have some memory that as part of the 300k contract eir agreed that any new builds would be connected to the Fibre network.
    Under the terms of the commitment contract with DCCAE, new-build properties in existing 300k areas have to be connected.
    And if its true, is their any official process to get a premise added, or just signing up with a provider who will fight with Openeir to get the address added?

That's not exactly clear. A helpful ISP is probably your best bet.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Under the terms of the commitment contract with DCCAE, new-build properties in existing 300k areas have to be connected.

That's not exactly clear. A helpful ISP is probably your best bet.

Thanks oscarBravo. Yes I was telling my friend that he would be best placed to try order with a provider who would make an effort/have experience to get it added. Might aswell be talking to the wall trying to get Eir to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Anyone else experiencing glitchy behaviour from the Fibre Rollout map?
    If you zoom in too far, all the overlays disappear. Well except for the cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pique wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing glitchy behaviour from the Fibre Rollout map?
    If you zoom in too far, all the overlays disappear. Well except for the cabinets.

Yep - its very annoying. KN tech's were finishing off laying fibre on our street yesterday. Anyone have any idea how long before we can order off Eir/any supplier, one of the tech's said a week or two weeks but it depends on Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yep - its very annoying. KN tech's were finishing off laying fibre on our street yesterday. Anyone have any idea how long before we can order off Eir/any supplier, one of the tech's said a week or two weeks but it depends on Eir.

Think it varies a lot. Maybe two months for me from that point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Does anyone know what the Eir FTTH ipv6 delegation size is? I've come across a few years old posts stating various numbers between 64 and 56 but I can only manage to get one /64 from my own testing and following guides.

Seems like /64 is the appropriate size for one lan segment (without breaking SLAAC) and I'm setting up a second one for separating working from home devices.

Using an opnsense router so it's also a high possibility I'm just doing something silly to make it not work

Advertisement