Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,926 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Quick question. So the pole is right outside our boundary wall. Just had a lad out to look at digging the trench & he asked can the cable/ducting can be brought over the wall rather than under it? As this would save a lot of money.

Anyone know?

You don't want any near right angle bends with fibre.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Still no sign of us getting switched on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Would anyone have the number for the open eir crowd that organise the lad that’s comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Would anyone have the number for the open eir crowd that organise the lad that’s comes out?

They wont talk to you.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    They wont talk to you.

Why? I have a lad coming tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

My housing estate built in the '70s is about to get FTTH. It does not have telephone poles, and the phone line from Eir's access chamber to each house was placed on the ground before pouring a concrete driveway over it.

Do I need to start digging to put in ducts, or will they install poles?

My housing estate built in the '70s is about to get FTTH. It does not have telephone poles, and the phone line from Eir's access chamber to each house was placed on the ground before pouring a concrete driveway over it.

Do I need to start digging to put in ducts, or will they install poles?

Do you mean the phone lines are in bare earth and not in ducts from the access chambers to each house? Normally the fibre would tend to follow the same route as the existing phone lines.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do you mean the phone lines are in bare earth and not in ducts from the access chambers to each house? Normally the fibre would tend to follow the same route as the existing phone lines.

Yes, the bare wire was placed on the surface and concrete poured over it.

This is probably very common in older housing estates with buried phone lines. I was curious if anyone has experience in an area which has ftth already installed.

Well that was intelligent. I would imagine you would be needing to dig/con saw and put in ducting, but best to wait until the installation of the fibre is actually there and the requirements are made known to householders. I can't imagine there is any chance of poles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Yeah the most sensible thing to do is order as soon you can and see what is recommended when call to you.
    Do you think other houses in your area will have the same proble?

Yeah the most sensible thing to do is order as soon you can and see what is recommended when call to you.
    Do you think other houses in your area will have the same proble?
    I think all the houses in this estate are the same and everywhere the same builder was all across north Dublin.

I only found out when I replace the driveway with cobble lock and stupidly didn't bury ducting at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

This is probably very common in older housing estates with buried phone lines. I was curious if anyone has experience in an area which has ftth already installed.

I had similar to this

KN lads sorted it using a "mole"

Got the broadband in today. After two weeks without it......I’m fcuking delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Yeah that's most of housing estates in Dublin is armoured cable they just plowed it in and buried it made it come up in the concrete floor in the hall behind the skirting board. Usually gets damaged beyond repair during a porch extension people just rip em out and think it'd be an easy fix if they ever want it back in again.
    Fibre to the home without ducting on poleless estates just get failed and customer is advised that they may need to run a duct to edge of property the jobs get noted why they get failed think they may be collating the fails to approach openeir with a project soon to do entire estates with this problem when the demand is there. Lots of housing estates with fibre to the home installed and no ducting to houses out there.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Yeah that's most of housing estates in Dublin is armoured cable they just plowed it in and buried it made it come up in the concrete floor in the hall behind the skirting board.
    In my estate, the builders didn't go to that effort. They threw the indoor telephone wire on the ground and built the drive over it.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

If a house already has FTTH installed, will it return as being "Available" when I enter the eircode in the availability checkers? Currently, looking at different houses on daft and want to know if FTTH is actually available there.

If a house already has FTTH installed, will it return as being "Available" when I enter the eircode in the availability checkers? Currently, looking at different houses on daft and want to know if FTTH is actually available there.

Yes, just checked mine with the Airwire checker and it it says it's available. You could also look at the fibre rollout map and check the property on that.

Available can mean it is already connected or that the cable passes the house (which may require work to get connected if ducts are blocked into the house).

If you want to find out if an area is about to be connected look for numbers, arrows or the word splice spray painted on access chamber covers in the area or for the pole mounted drop points look for the following black box on a nearby pole:
    x3lghDA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

what hope would you have of being connected to FTTH in a new build property with fibre running passed it but no DP on adjacent pole to property?

- on one side, nearest DP is 3 pole span distance around 200 metres (unknown if the DP is 4 or 8 ports and/or if they are all in use)

- on other side, nearest DP is 5 pole span distance around 300metres (unknown if the DP is 4 or 8 ports and/or if they are all in use)

- would they install a new DP if requested or would you be wasting your time?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BArra wrote: »
    what hope would you have of being connected to FTTH in a new build property with fibre running passed it but no DP on adjacent pole to property?

- on one side, nearest DP is 3 pole span distance around 200 metres (unknown if the DP is 4 or 8 ports and/or if they are all in use)

- on other side, nearest DP is 5 pole span distance around 300metres (unknown if the DP is 4 or 8 ports and/or if they are all in use)

No hope for a new DP, for sure there.

Somebody has posted the span limits before, I'm not confident in my memory of that so don't want to quite a figure. Marlow or babihrse may be able to elaborate there.

You'd need an eircode first so theres a good 6 month wait in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

It was previously stated 7 poles at about 50m each is the limit because the fibre spools are 500m. That was babi-hrse. But, no idea what might apply today.

A good chance. The real problem would be if your eircode was assigned a slot or not. Supposedly new builds should be accommodated, but how that can be achieved seems to be completely opaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Work commenced out my way this outside Roscommon Town. Lads laying new cables and replaced an old pole outside my sister's house across the road.
    Delighted to see something happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

What happened if the wire fell down in a storm outside your house how would they connect it?😳

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

My Inlaws house isn't showing as available to get FTTH on eir or vodafone, even though it passes the door, it used to when it was rolled out a few years back, on the Airwire site it does show as available

Any ideas what they can do, is it worth a phone call to one of the ISP's

Can you get a new FTTH connection anymore, I think we were part of the rural 300K back a few years ago

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

eiei0 wrote: »
    My Inlaws house isn't showing as available to get FTTH on eir or vodafone, even though it passes the door, it used to when it was rolled out a few years back, on the Airwire site it does show as available

Any ideas what they can do, is it worth a phone call to one of the ISP's

Can you get a new FTTH connection anymore, I think we were part of the rural 300K back a few years ago

Not all premises that were originally included in the 300k were done while others outside the 300k were.
    37,000 premises originally identified as being served by commercial operators (the "Blue" premises), have not materialised and will therefore be included in the intervention area and the map has also been updated for approximately an additional 2,000 premises identified in the latest Ordinance Survey Ireland data

Eir has passed approximately 34,000 more premises than the 300,000 it had originally undertaken to pass with its fibre rural network and SIRO has passed 4,000 premises in the intervention area as part of its wider fibre network rollout. These approximately 38,000 premises have been removed from the intervention area.

What does the NBI eircode checker indicate for their premises - https://nbi.ie/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The Cush wrote: »
    Not all premises that were originally included in the 300k were done while others outside the 300k were.

What does the NBI eircode checker indicate for their premises - https://nbi.ie/map/

Is that map known to contain mistakes? I see a number of premises there in my locality that says "Not in intervention area" but are available on the Airwire & Eir availability checkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

The map contains premises that will also be covered by eir's IFN network, in some urban areas.

Advertisement