Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

NSAman wrote: »
    Ok the line to next door, comes directly in front of the house from next door. It literally crosses my property. the pole itself is less and 30 meters from the house. the pole has one of those Black boxes on it.

So you were waiting since August and all you need is to do ducting from that poll to your house ? Why wouldn’t you pay someone to do ducting ? It is your property ,not public.
    Couldn’t you just go with overhead install without ducting altogether ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

alec76 wrote: »
    So you were waiting since August and all you need is to do ducting from that poll to your house ? Why wouldn’t you pay someone to do ducting ? It is your property ,not public.
    Couldn’t you just go with overhead install without ducting altogether ?

I think it's because they did not explain exactly where the ducting needed to run from.
    The KN guys should have explained this as you can't expect people to know exactly how the install is performed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have a question. How long should I have to wait to get Openeir to solve a “ducting issue”

Ordered last August, pushed to November, then December, then january, then March, now august of this year.

houses on both sides have FTTH and I am wondering if this is unusual?

Anywhere from 1 month to 18 months. Some providers will try to push them and may get it solved quicker, but the final culprit is OpenEIR and how they interact with the County Councils on getting licenses. It's a nightmare for the wholesale providers that use OpenEIR .. at best. Nevermind the customers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ok the line to next door, comes directly in front of the house from next door. It literally crosses my property. the pole itself is less and 30 meters from the house. the pole has one of those Black boxes on it.

So is the pole on a neighbouring property or on yours? My cable comes from the DP opposite my driveway, down along the road passing most of my frontage to another pole, then it spans the road and a corner of a field to a pole on the side boundary of my property, about 12m from my house, it then runs down the pole and into ducting I dug and laid and then to the house. it must be a 40-50m span across the road and field between the poles.

If the pole with DP is on a neighbouring property, I wonder why they couldn't just go Aerial straight to your house, unless their is a height or tree issue.

Might be an idea to ask a different provider to get you connected. I'm having difficulty grasping how there is any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If there's overhead parallel power lines crossing it'd have to be in a duct otherwise could be a height restriction on public roadway or neighbours or no suitable anchor point on the house eg externally insulated otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dunno if this has been mentioned before but:

Eir is reducing the rate it charges other operators by €5 per month for its fastest fibre broadband. Hopefully the customer will notice a decrease in price across all packages by the summer. The price cuts are scheduled for July 1.

Eir is also reducing the 'wholesale' charge to rival retailers to connect customers up to its lines, bringing the cost down from €170 to €100.

The price cuts will see Eir's wholesale charge fall by €5 per month on its 300Mbs and 500Mbs services, putting them in the same monthly wholesale price bracket (€23.50 excluding Vat) as Eir's 150Mbs wholesale service, whose price is unchanged.

Eir's top-tier 1Gbps service is also reduced by €5 from €33.50 to €28.50 (excluding Vat).

Looks like Eir wants to phase out it's 150 offering as that will be the only plan without any price decrease.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/broadband-prices-for-homes-and-businesses-to-fall-as-eir-cuts-charges-39147623.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭dam099

Gonzo wrote: »

Looks like Eir wants to phase out it's 150 offering as that will be the only plan without any price decrease.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/broadband-prices-for-homes-and-businesses-to-fall-as-eir-cuts-charges-39147623.html

Yea its announced as a price decrease but for many customers this might just end up being a speed bump with no increase (like Virgin have been doing for years).

Still a decrease on 1Gb I suppose and the installation charge reduction is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 north_cork

Hi. I'm in North Cork and our village was included in Eir's rural FTTH rollout. Works putting fibre on poles, DPs, putting in cabs (exchange previously not broadband-enabled) etc. started in March last year and progressed in dribs and drabs into January of this year. Our house - and all the houses in our estate were on the, "Blue lines".

On April 1st (aha) the area was *finally* passed for fibre. Needless to say, we all piled on to order; the fixed wireless and LTE operators currently servicing the area are buckling under the weight of the extra traffic. When those of us in the estate checked the Eir website and placed our order, we were told we could get broadband of up to ~100mbps as we were FTTC rather than full fat fibre. Beggars can't be choosers so grand.

What follows is a catalogue of confusion and levels of left/right hand communication best associated with a foggy night in a cave. Several of us were booked in for a visit from KN on the same day to get us sorted. The day before, some of us received calls from Eir cancelling our orders and informing us we couldn't receive the product, just as others were getting calls from KN to confirm visits (seriously - two of us were on calls simultaneously!).

Everyone waited to see how I'd get on as I was the first on the list to be visited. The KN lad called and immediately could tell something wasn't right. After a quick trip up to the cab, his basic story is that the necessary equipment at the exchange to allow the legacy copper system to, "talk" to the new fibre one was not in place and therefore we were goosed until that was sorted. His impression was that this would not happen in a timescale measured by days or weeks...

Meanwhile, my neighbours started getting calls telling them that they *could* in fact order, even after they told Eir's CS people what had transpired with me. Yet more KN visits were arranged; all ended in failure. Needless to say, I got in touch with Eir to see if they could tell me what was going on. They could not (despite being able to see the engineer's report), beyond passing my report up the line to OpenEir. I also received a call cancelling my order and this chap swore up and down it was FTTH we would be getting, not FTTC but that it would be about two months. That's more or less where things stand now. Half the village (those running off the poles, mostly) is tripping the light fantastic with fibre while the other half (mostly ducted, early-mid 00s estates) are still waiting.

I guess my question is, do any of you knowledgeable folks have any experience with this sort of caffling or any sort of idea what might be going on here? Thanks in advance.

TL:DR - Area passed for fibre. Based on visits from KN, half the area can't get even FTTC due to (according to KN) missing kit at the cabinet/exchange, despite passing line checks. Much confusion as to even *what* we are getting and no real sense of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

after a very long time of having slow internet +15 years, FTTH went live last june to my house. I waited 10 months to get the FTTH installed after some problems with the underground ducting, I am now LIVE and boy does it feel good, the speed is blistering fast, everything is instant more less.

ftth.png

to those who are still waiting for their Fibre, hang in there, you will get it eventually.

if you are waiting for work to be completed on the road, eg ducting etc, do what i did and contact your local TD ask them to raise the query with there dedicated EIR contact through the Dail, contact the broadband planning and licence body of local county council to check if the licence has been granted to enable EIR to do the road works, I believe this is what led me to get my connection finally installed after the due date for completion kept getting put on the back burner nearly 4 times with months in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

north_cork wrote: »
    Hi. I'm in North Cork and our village was included in Eir's rural FTTH rollout. Works putting fibre on poles, DPs, putting in cabs (exchange previously not broadband-enabled) etc. started in March last year and progressed in dribs and drabs into January of this year. Our house - and all the houses in our estate were on the, "Blue lines".

On April 1st (aha) the area was *finally* passed for fibre. Needless to say, we all piled on to order; the fixed wireless and LTE operators currently servicing the area are buckling under the weight of the extra traffic. When those of us in the estate checked the Eir website and placed our order, we were told we could get broadband of up to ~100mbps as we were FTTC rather than full fat fibre. Beggars can't be choosers so grand.

What follows is a catalogue of confusion and levels of left/right hand communication best associated with a foggy night in a cave. Several of us were booked in for a visit from KN on the same day to get us sorted. The day before, some of us received calls from Eir cancelling our orders and informing us we couldn't receive the product, just as others were getting calls from KN to confirm visits (seriously - two of us were on calls simultaneously!).

Everyone waited to see how I'd get on as I was the first on the list to be visited. The KN lad called and immediately could tell something wasn't right. After a quick trip up to the cab, his basic story is that the necessary equipment at the exchange to allow the legacy copper system to, "talk" to the new fibre one was not in place and therefore we were goosed until that was sorted. His impression was that this would not happen in a timescale measured by days or weeks...

Meanwhile, my neighbours started getting calls telling them that they *could* in fact order, even after they told Eir's CS people what had transpired with me. Yet more KN visits were arranged; all ended in failure. Needless to say, I got in touch with Eir to see if they could tell me what was going on. They could not (despite being able to see the engineer's report), beyond passing my report up the line to OpenEir. I also received a call cancelling my order and this chap swore up and down it was FTTH we would be getting, not FTTC but that it would be about two months. That's more or less where things stand now. Half the village (those running off the poles, mostly) is tripping the light fantastic with fibre while the other half (mostly ducted, early-mid 00s estates) are still waiting.

I guess my question is, do any of you knowledgeable folks have any experience with this sort of caffling or any sort of idea what might be going on here? Thanks in advance.

TL:DR - Area passed for fibre. Based on visits from KN, half the area can't get even FTTC due to (according to KN) missing kit at the cabinet/exchange, despite passing line checks. Much confusion as to even *what* we are getting and no real sense of when.

Sounds like the DSLAM hasn't been installed or there's no links at exchange to bring traffic to it.
    Orders being cancelled by provider rather than being rescheduled or on hold means any notes the tech sent back will get binned in effect it won't record that he even showed up checked found an issue and reported on it.
    I've showed up to jobs and been told I'm the 3rd person out to them when the job note shows nobody else has ever been at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 north_cork

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Sounds like the DSLAM hasn't been installed or there's no links at exchange to bring traffic to it.
    Orders being cancelled by provider rather than being rescheduled or on hold means any notes the tech sent back will get binned in effect it won't record that he even showed up checked found an issue and reported on it.
    I've showed up to jobs and been told I'm the 3rd person out to them when the job note shows nobody else has ever been at it.

Hi babi-hrse

Thank you for your response. Your point about engineer's reports getting canned sounds very familiar...

Any even notional idea of what sort of delay we are looking at here or is it best measured in pieces of string?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir was supposed to introduce a 500mbps profile today and so far nothing, still on 300. No signs of a 500 plan on their website either. Just wondering was their plan to roll this out today stopped due to the current crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Eir was supposed to introduce a 500mbps profile today and so far nothing, still on 300. No signs of a 500 plan on their website either. Just wondering was their plan to roll this out today stopped due to the current crisis?

Digiweb have the 500 on their page now. I’m on the 300mb with Digiweb at the moment. I wonder is it an automatic upgrade or would I need to Re contract.

https://digiweb.ie/ultrafast-ftth-broadband/

medoc wrote: »
    Digiweb have the 500 on their page now. I’m on the 300mb with Digiweb at the moment. I wonder is it an automatic upgrade or would I need to Re contract.

I'd imagine anyone on the 300 plan will have to ring up and request an upgrade to 500, even Eir customers.

Eir still have no mention of the 500 plan anywhere on their website, the 300 plan has not been on their website since last year. Vodafone and Airwire still listing the 300 plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

You sound in a mad panic for the other 200mb are you struggling? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

medoc wrote: »

I'm in the same boat but was waiting on someone to do it first... ! :D

Working from home so can't be without the internet.....

EDIT: Spoke with them on chat - They said "We will plan to upgrade customers to 500Mbps profile very soon".
    So sounds like it'll be automatic at some point. Probably requires a plan to be put together and then a phased profile upgrade rollout - however long that takes. Nice to have though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

I dunno if this has been mentioned before but:

Eir is reducing the rate it charges other operators by €5 per month for its fastest fibre broadband. Hopefully the customer will notice a decrease in price across all packages by the summer. The price cuts are scheduled for July 1.

Eir is also reducing the 'wholesale' charge to rival retailers to connect customers up to its lines, bringing the cost down from €170 to €100.

The price cuts will see Eir's wholesale charge fall by €5 per month on its 300Mbs and 500Mbs services, putting them in the same monthly wholesale price bracket (€23.50 excluding Vat) as Eir's 150Mbs wholesale service, whose price is unchanged.

Eir's top-tier 1Gbps service is also reduced by €5 from €33.50 to €28.50 (excluding Vat).

I recently signed up to 150Mbs. Reading this, am I right in thinking that I'll be bumped to 500Mbs at some point?

limktime wrote: »
    I recently signed up to 150Mbs. Reading this, am I right in thinking that I'll be bumped to 500Mbs at some point?

no the 150 will stay as 150. No changes to upload speeds of any of the plans.

The 1000 plan remains the same too.

It's only the legacy 300 plan where we might get upgraded to 500 by default or to ring up and request it.

Sadly I think this has been a missed opportunity to boost the upload speeds of all 3 plans to more closely match Siro's upload speeds but this didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I just decided to try my luck on the eir chat today. All of my neighbours have FTTH but I'm that little bit too far away from the road to be part of the 300,000 and am technically part of NBP. I've tried all the different channels over the last year or two. Airwire, different networks, fibrepower@openeir.ie (now deactivated), the lot. I gave the eir live chat a go today while I was waiting for a download. I gave the agent my address and they replied back with my neighbours (who can get it) eircode. I corrected them telling them my eircode (same address) and they put that in and said there is a slot is available. I tried with another agent to see what they said later and nothing came up for them.

While I know my neighbour is the only one on the closest DP to me and there are slots available, that DP is nearly 300m from my house as the poles go. There is a perfect pole network between me and that DP though (5 poles and a bit of ducting in the road), but still, nearly 300m? Did the chat rep make a mistake?

The order went through and I'm signed up for 150Mb. Has anyone had experience with this? What are my chances? Now that the order is gone through do they definitely have to supply me one way or the other? I also gave them my UAN and phone number to change that over from my current supplier but the UAN doesn't come up on the eir account that's currently being set up. Could I be in luck? Or will an engineer take one look at the place and tell me there's no chance?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sadly I think this has been a missed opportunity to boost the upload speeds of all 3 plans to more closely match Siro's upload speeds but this didn't happen.

Pretty sure SIRO's upload speeds are reducing from July, so it's going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

limnam wrote: »
    You sound in a mad panic for the other 200mb are you struggling? :)

Haha I came from having 6.1mb to 300

MBSnr wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat but was waiting on someone to do it first... ! :D

Working from home so can't be without the internet.....

EDIT: Spoke with them on chat - They said "We will plan to upgrade customers to 500Mbps profile very soon".
    So sounds like it'll be automatic at some point. Probably requires a plan to be put together and then a phased profile upgrade rollout - however long that takes. Nice to have though :)

I sent them an email earlier. No reply yet. No rush on the upgrade. I don’t really need it but if it’s there and the same price as the 300 sure why not. Though I won’t be signing another 12 month contract for it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Pretty sure SIRO's upload speeds are reducing from July, so it's going the other way.

really? Why would they reduce the upload speeds?

Most customers probably don't use the upload much either unless they are running a business or into streaming video, so I can't imagine uploading is a strain on the network.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

really? Why would they reduce the upload speeds?

Dunno. Existing customers won't have their upload changed, but new connections will have the new speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

Just having a look on the fiber roll out map, I am about a mile up a back road but the line comes up about 500m.
    The house across the road has a yellow envelope what those this mean?
    My house is in the field with the arrow not on the map yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just having a look on the fiber roll out map, I am about a mile up a back road but the line comes up about 500m.
    The house across the road has a yellow envelope what those this mean?
    My house is in the field with the arrow not on the map yet.

Not even, if you were 100m past the rollout. You'll have to wait for the NBP.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

daraghwal wrote: »

While I know my neighbour is the only one on the closest DP to me and there are slots available, that DP is nearly 300m from my house as the poles go. There is a perfect pole network between me and that DP though (5 poles and a bit of ducting in the road), but still, nearly 300m? Did the chat rep make a mistake?

The order went through and I'm signed up for 150Mb. Has anyone had experience with this? What are my chances? Now that the order is gone through do they definitely have to supply me one way or the other? I also gave them my UAN and phone number to change that over from my current supplier but the UAN doesn't come up on the eir account that's currently being set up. Could I be in luck? Or will an engineer take one look at the place and tell me there's no chance?

300m, I very much doubt an installer will comfortable using that much drop cable and just stringing it up on poles.
    Those slots need to remain open for the listed house if they decide to order even several years from now.
    The order will be rejected and you will continue to get the service from your current provider.
    They have no obligation to provide you with a service that they are unable to just because a member of staff made an administration error.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

I think it's possible up to 500m overhead on poles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

A+-Guru wrote: »
    I think it's possible up to 500m overhead on poles..

Doesn't mean any installer would be crazy enough to go that far above official recomendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

300m, I very much doubt an installer will comfortable using that much drop cable and just stringing it up on poles.
    Those slots need to remain open for the listed house if they decide to order even several years from now.
    The order will be rejected and you will continue to get the service from your current provider.
    They have no obligation to provide you with a service that they are unable to just because a member of staff made an administration error.

There's definitely enough slots, just two houses near the DP. I had to ring them back today due to an error I made with the UAN. Turns out the chat agent just put in the address and not the eircode anyway and it would have never went through according to fulfillment. Order was cancelled. Fulfillment team gave me ADSL broadband and phone and told me to get onto technical support to see would they get onto open eir for me. They have emailed open eir and told me to give them a ring back in 2-3 days. I'll give an update but I presume open eir are just going to tell me I am part of NBP and leave it at that. If that's the case I will stick with my wireless broadband, cancel within the cool off period and switch to pure telecom for phone.

Advertisement