Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Definitely something wrong there it shouldnt be that slow. What provider do you use? I'm with Eir and I don't think I've never ever seen it drop under 930 Mb download on speedtest but I am probably on a pritty quite exchange. I think with this version of gpon for the last mile 2.5 Gbit down in shared with 32 customers but I'm not certain.

If you picked the wrong server at the wrong time you could see those kind of speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Definitely something wrong there it shouldnt be that slow. What provider do you use? I'm with Eir and I don't think I've never ever seen it drop under 930 Mb download on speedtest but I am probably on a pritty quite exchange. I think with this version of gpon for the last mile 2.5 Gbit down in shared with 32 customers but I'm not certain.

Vodafone 300Mbps. Yeah there's something wrong as under 10Mbps is not right. Was with Eir last year and it was consistently 280-300Mbps all the time for 12 months. Also its back to normal in the morning so don't think there's anything wrong with my devices/cables or else it would be the same all the time.

I connected to Nordvpn there for the craic and got over 100Mbps. Turned it off and I'm back to under 10Mbps again. Not sure to be honest

Vodafone 300Mbps. Yeah there's something wrong as under 10Mbps is not right. Was with Eir last year and it was consistently 280-300Mbps all the time for 12 months. Also its back to normal in the morning so don't think there's anything wrong with my devices/cables or else it would be the same all the time.

I connected to Nordvpn there for the craic and got over 100Mbps. Turned it off and I'm back to under 10Mbps again. Not sure to be honest

I think that would indicate a possible routing issue at peak times to some servers.

tuxy wrote: »
    I think that would indicate a possible routing issue at peak times to some servers.

Is it something they can fix if I ring them do you think? It's awful having FTTH with these speeds in the evenings.

Is it something they can fix if I ring them do you think? It's awful having FTTH with these speeds in the evenings.

Yes report it if you can. Them fixing it would depend on how competent they are.
    I had the a similar issue with Eir while on VDSL years ago and they would not acknowledge the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Any update on the 500Mb/s profile?

It's supposed to be available from the 27th of this month, and will be priced the same as the 300Mb/s product. We'll be offering all our 300Mb/s customers a straight swap, which is a no-brainer for them.

This could actually work out well for the ISPs
    People who don't use much bandwidth may now be tempted to move from 150 to 500
    Although I don't know exactly how small profit margins are, I would guess they are fairly tight.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Although I don't know exactly how small profit margins are, I would guess they are fairly tight.

You have no idea... :pac:

You have no idea... :pac:

No but I do understand how big companies like open eir really like to squeeze as much as they can from smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

Is it possible to get congestion on FTTH? Every evening my speeds are fluctuating from 5-20Mbps. Get around 280Mbps during the day. Have only noticed speed issues this week.

Am having the same issue with vodafone....have you had any joy getting it sorted...its only started since this covid19 thing...

• Advertisement

Gilbey wrote: »
    Am having the same issue with vodafone....have you had any joy getting it sorted...its only started since this covid19 thing...

My guess would be that it's not a FTTH issue, it's an with their network and people with DSL will also be having problems too.

I wonder is it country wide or only in one location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My guess would be that it's not a FTTH issue, it's an with their network and people with DSL will also be having problems too.

I wonder is it country wide or only in one location.

Vodafone has always been highly contended (even pre the current situation) at peak times. Especially to places outside of Ireland/UK.

Mate of mine usually VPNs elsewhere to be able to make Skype calls to his parents elsewhere in Europe in the evening. And he works (or used to until a few months back) for Vodafone. He has just not changed yet as the connection is free.

/M

Gilbey wrote: »

Rang this evening. The fella I was talking to said it's more than likely a network thing with the amount of people now at home. Very little he can do. He said he put me on a different profile but made no difference. I'm gone back to pre-FTTH times which is extremely disappointing!

9232961544.png

The majority of other companies have managed. Obviously Vodafone were cutting corners and running their network at close to capacity before the large spike in usage. I'm with Airwire and there has maybe been a very slight reduction in speed 140Mbs now down to 120Mbps, things take a few extra seconds to download, hardly worth complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have a question. How long should I have to wait to get Openeir to solve a “ducting issue”

Ordered last August, pushed to November, then December, then january, then March, now august of this year.

houses on both sides have FTTH and I am wondering if this is unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

NSAman wrote: »
    Have a question. How long should I have to wait to get Openeir to solve a “ducting issue”

Ordered last August, pushed to November, then December, then january, then March, now august of this year.

Ducting on your land or elsewhere?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ducting on your land or elsewhere?

Have no idea... no details are coming to me at all apart from”Ducting work”. I have asked and no information has been forthcoming.

Do you have a copper phone line, and if so, how does it get to the house?

Have no idea... no details are coming to me at all apart from”Ducting work”. I have asked and no information has been forthcoming.

I believe only an installer who calls to you door would inform you that you need to do ducting on your own land.

This ducting work is probably needed on the roadside somewhere between the exchange and your house and will be up to open eir to complete.

Do you have a copper phone line, and if so, how does it get to the house?
    Its a new purchase house, no phone line. Cabinet is at the end of the front field and closer to my house than either of the neighbours.

I know nothing is going to happen with the current situation, but I am surprised with such little information coming back from OpenEir to the ISP. If it requires underground ducting I am more than happy to instal that myself. Its not that difficult or expensive.

from what I understand, both houses have over ground wiring for the phones.

• Advertisement

I believe only an installer who calls to you door would inform you that you need to do ducting on your own land.

This ducting work is probably needed on the roadside somewhere between the exchange and your house and will be up to open eir to complete.

thanks for that.

When they were out last time (September) they said it was a little bit of work needed, but didnt specify what was needed..

I’m at a loss now as to what was needed to be done.

thanks for that.

When they were out last time (September) they said it was a little bit of work needed, but didnt specify what was needed..

I’m at a loss now as to what was needed to be done.

Was it an installer that called or did you get taking to a random worker.
    If work is needed to be done on your land they will tell you and then you have to organise and pay for it.
    If it's on public land they pay for it but you have no control over the time-frame.

Who did you order with? The larger companies do not care about individual cases and may not even ask open eir for updates on what's happening. Airwire have helped some on here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Not unusual, I am facing the same myself with similar wait times from start of my order last summer, and now with the whole COVID19 that will have an impact also I would presume.

all we can do is wait with fingers crossed, maybe the OpenEIR Civil crew work in specific areas and do a whole load in the same area, I do not know.

Not unusual, I am facing the same myself with similar wait times from start of my order last summer, and now with the whole COVID19 that will have an impact also I would presume.

all we can do is wait with fingers crossed, maybe the OpenEIR Civil crew work in specific areas and do a whole load in the same area, I do not know.

sorry for double post, it seems boards.ie was having some problems with loading

A+-Guru wrote: »

Open Eir outsource the work to companies like KN. It does look like they focus on only a small number of areas at a time before moving on. It's probably more efficient but does leave many areas waiting before wok is done.

The excuse they gave NSAman is confusing though, as I assume he would connect to the same DP as his Neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was supposed to be getting FTTH 3 weeks ago.
    They said they dont know when i'll be connected now.
    Add the worst part is I can see the reel on the pole outside.
    Theyve had issues for over a year keeping promising to connect me.
    I finally thought they had it sorted but now the pandemic has effected it.

Was it an installer that called or did you get taking to a random worker.
    If work is needed to be done on your land they will tell you and then you have to organise and pay for it.
    If it's on public land they pay for it but you have no control over the time-frame.

Who did you order with? The larger companies do not care about individual cases and may not even ask open eir for updates on what's happening. Airwire have helped some on here in the past.

Its a smaller local company who have asked. Payment is not the issue, i just need it to work from this house. I will ask them again if they know what is needed to make this happen.

KN arrived but said it would require some ducting. Sorry I didnt ask more questions at the time as I am not there all the time (living in the States). Even if it requires a payment that is not an issue. I simply cannot use the house or spend the time I want there without reliable high speed.

Its a new purchase house, no phone line. Cabinet is at the end of the front field and closer to my house than either of the neighbours.

I know nothing is going to happen with the current situation, but I am surprised with such little information coming back from OpenEir to the ISP. If it requires underground ducting I am more than happy to instal that myself. Its not that difficult or expensive.

from what I understand, both houses have over ground wiring for the phones.

When you say cabinet, do you mean a black fibre Distribution Point (DP) box up on a pole and not a large green cabinet at ground level? I'm just asking because a cabinet possibly implies fibre to the cabinet, whereas the box up the pole is definitely FTTH.

If there is a DP box on a pole near your property boundary, then the ducting referred to would almost certainly be ducting from your house to the pole, if your neighbours have FTTH connections via aerial slung cables running back to the DP box. Ducting required on your property is usually the customers job to sort out. Ducting is only required if your house is quite a distance back from the nearest pole, ruling out fibre being slung from the pole to the house, aerially, which I believe has a 50-60m limit.

If there is a DP box, then another question would be is it on your side of the road or across? If it's the latter, you might need a pole erected on your land for the fibre to be slung to and ducting laid to the pole. Usually a pole is OpenEir's job

A sketch, or photos, of the houses poles boundaries would help work out what's what.

• Advertisement

When you say cabinet, do you mean a black fibre Distribution Point (DP) box up on a pole and not a large green cabinet at ground level? I'm just asking because a cabinet possibly implies fibre to the cabinet, whereas the box up the pole is definitely FTTH.

If there is a DP box on a pole near your property boundary, then the ducting referred to would almost certainly be ducting from your house to the pole, if your neighbours have FTTH connections via aerial slung cables running back to the DP box. Ducting required on your property is usually the customers job to sort out. Ducting is only required if your house is quite a distance back from the nearest pole, ruling out fibre being slung from the pole to the house, aerially, which I believe has a 50-60m limit.

If there is a DP box, then another question would be is it on your side of the road or across? If it's the latter, you might need a pole erected on your land for the fibre to be slung to and ducting laid to the pole. Usually a pole is OpenEir's job

A sketch, or photos, of the houses poles boundaries would help work out what's what.

Ok the line to next door, comes directly in front of the house from next door. It literally crosses my property. the pole itself is less and 30 meters from the house. the pole has one of those Black boxes on it.

Advertisement