Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

How do you know there are slots? Usually they are all assigned in the planning stage. They needed to be available for if/when a listed premises orders FTTH.

I do understand how frustrating it must be and realise how lucky I was. If my house was 50 metres closer to the town I would not have been included in the rural rollout. Locally to me there is a halting site nearby that is talking up 2 DPs and 5 slots on the OLT back at the exchange, must be irritating for those that just missed out on that run. The slots will never be used unless they decide to do callout videos in UHD 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

How do you know there are slots? Usually they are all assigned in the planning stage. They needed to be available for if/when a listed premises orders FTTH.

I do understand how frustrating it must be and realise how lucky I was. If my house was 50 metres closer to the town I would not have been included in the rural rollout. Locally to me there is a halting site nearby that is talking up 2 DPs and 5 slots on the OLT back at the exchange, must be irritating for those that just missed out on that run. The slots will never be used unless they decide to do callout videos in UHD 4k.

I was told by the eir rep that slots are available but am taking that with a pinch of salt now seeing as they messed up the order in the first place. Due to the spread of houses on my road some houses close to me have a DP on their own so presumably there are slots available in those DPs.

I'll give an update when I get it but presume they will just say it is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

daraghwal wrote: »
    I was told by the eir rep that slots are available but am taking that with a pinch of salt now seeing as they messed up the order in the first place. Due to the spread of houses on my road some houses close to me have a DP on their own so presumably there are slots available in those DPs.

I'll give an update when I get it but presume they will just say it is not available.

DPs are usually shared, so if one aligns with house A, there will probably be an intention that cable would be run from it to houses B,C and D. Looking at the DPs on my road, if some of the houses were to ask for connections they would be stringing a few hundred m of cable to reach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If the dp is within 500m as the cable goes of the house and the eircode is correct and the dp code matches the order it can go ahead high is the possibility of issues with terrain but if the order is correct it's possible.
    Probably will end up needing civils a hoist and two people to complete it.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Due to work on our database, updates have been a bit lax in the last few weeks. Apologies for this.

We have however updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

What’s the status of the rural FTTH scheme now. Is it 100% complete in that all houses planned are now passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

medoc wrote: »
    What’s the status of the rural FTTH scheme now. Is it 100% complete in that all houses planned are now passed?
    And, also any sign that they are front running parts of the NBP?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KOR101 wrote: »
    And, also any sign that they are front running parts of the NBP?.

They are focusing 100% of villages, towns and cities with 1000 premises or more at the moment: their IFN rollout.

That's basically 1.3M of the 1.4M VDSL enabled or supposedly VDSL enabled premises and 0.1M of NBP premises within urban footprint, that they committed to cover.

There is not much of the 300k left to do. Small pockets at most. They have also removed a bunch of premises, that they originally were going to cover, but didn't bother with in the end. Having been removed from the list doesn't mean one isn't covered ... IF the infrastructure is in place. In some places, their database simply is a mess and it takes an inventive provider to relist the premise.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Marlow wrote: »
    They are focusing 100% of villages, towns and cities with 1000 premises or more at the moment: their IFN rollout.

That's basically 1.3M of the 1.4M VDSL enabled or supposedly VDSL enabled premises and 0.1M of NBP premises within urban footprint, that they committed to cover.

So, if you understand you right, what they are doing to going back to the customers who got VDSL/"eFibre"/FTTC connections in their previous rollout and upgrading them to FTTH in areas where there are 1000+ premises?

If that is the case, it's great, but what are they planning on doing for the 100K+ customers who are located in areas smaller than that?

They seem to be left in no mans land as they won't receive FTTH either from Eir/any private rollout or the NBP. They might be ok for now but you would imagine that they will be in need of another NBP in the coming years as their speeds will surely become obsolete as technology advances so quickly?

BandMember wrote: »
    If that is the case, it's great, but what are they planning on doing for the 100K+ customers who are located in areas smaller than that?

Nothing. Not commercial viable atm. And I'm exactly in such an area. I have 70 Mbit/s VDSL. Village is smaller than 1000, so not getting the upgrade.

Or they could upgrade those few to supervectoring later. Maybe.

Probably going to convince a neighbor 500m up the road to let me put FTTH in there and then put a wireless link to my gaff to fix that :)

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Off topic, but with all the depressing news lately, here's a throwback that'll make you laugh.
    Circa 2008 'Anti Skiving off work unit''

The irony here was eircom technicians not turning up to install your phoneline on the day allocated for your install

511499.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Marlow wrote: »
    Nothing. Not commercial viable atm. And I'm exactly in such an area. I have 70 Mbit/s VDSL. Village is smaller than 1000, so not getting the upgrade.

Or they could upgrade those few to supervectoring later. Maybe.

Probably going to convince a neighbor 500m up the road to let me put FTTH in there and then put a wireless link to my gaff to fix that :)

/M

I highly doubt that they would bother with supervectoring, what would the cost be involved in there? What's the comparision vs FTTH upgrade?

From looking at the maps and knowing a lot of people in rural areas where the town/village/urban area has FTTC but the rest of the area is in the NBP, would it not be easy enough to upgrade those FTTC customers to FTTH? Or do they need to start campaigning for their own NBP already?

BandMember wrote: »
    I highly doubt that they would bother with supervectoring, what would the cost be involved in there? What's the comparision vs FTTH upgrade?

The fact is, that the original specifications for the NBP called for 30 Mbit/s now and 100 Mbit/s by 2021 or so. Those are the requirements to be achieved as a minimum.

That the contract that was signed with NBI now calls for something different, does not matter. The guidelines above still apply.

OpenEir can do that on whats there and they have been very clear on their roadmap.

No upgrades will happen to these premises in the foreseeable future.

/M

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'd imagine anyone on the 300 plan will have to ring up and request an upgrade to 500, even Eir customers.

Eir still have no mention of the 500 plan anywhere on their website, the 300 plan has not been on their website since last year. Vodafone and Airwire still listing the 300 plans.

Got my May invoice by email from Digiweb. The package is now called Ultrafast Broadband 500. My speed hasn’t increased so I’ll contact them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Got my May invoice by email. The package is now called Ultrafast Broadband 500. My speed hasn’t increased so I’ll contact them.

I don't think Eir have rolled out their 500 profile yet. Their 300 plan hasn't been available since last year and there is no sight of the new 500 plan either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Wouldn't be surprised if the billing department introduced it before it actually came into place.

Anyone who has had to contact Eir about technical issues will know one department of Eir are effectively incapable of communicating with another.

Sorry should have clarified I’m with Digiweb. The 500 plan has been on their site a week or so. I just noticed the plan name changed in my invoice today.

Wouldn't be surprised if the billing department introduced it before it actually came into place.

It may also depend on which billing system you are in. It can get real messy, depending on if you are in TIS, r6 or one of the other ones.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sorry should have clarified I’m with Digiweb. The 500 plan has been on their site a week or so. I just noticed the plan name changed in my invoice today.

that makes sense so, Digiweb are the only provider that shows any mention of a 500 profile being available. OpenEir control the profiles at the end of the day and perhaps there is the possibility that the 500 profile has been delayed due to the current lockdown situation.

Gonzo wrote: »
    OpenEir control the profiles at the end of the day and perhaps there is the possibility that the 500 profile has been delayed due to the current lockdown situation.

The 500 Mbit/s profile was introduced on the OpenEIR platform last week and has been available to providers since then.

We have not yet had the time to look at, how cost will work out for us, so that is why it's not listed on our website yet.

Very few go for the 300 Mbit/s package as it is. It tends to be 150 Mbit/s or Gbit/s.

• Advertisement

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 53,976 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there many still outstanding area's to be covered by OpenEir?

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there many still outstanding area's to be covered by OpenEir?

The FTTH updates are now mainly infill and OpenEIRs 1.4M urban rollout, which also includes villages and towns with 1000 premises or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

The 500 Mbit/s profile was introduced on the OpenEIR platform last week and has been available to providers since then.

We have not yet had the time to look at, how cost will work out for us, so that is why it's not listed on our website yet.

Very few go for the 300 Mbit/s package as it is. It tends to be 150 Mbit/s or Gbit/s.

Im one of the 300 few !

Having taken a pay cut at work due to the Coronavirus, I was on to Tommy last week to see if there were any deals for recontracting. He said you would be reviewing prices and that he would come back to me soon as he could.

Have to cut a few corners myself now to offset the pay cut. Might downgrade to 150 as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Just checked and I have the same. Didn't notice...

BTW do you get two identical emails every time they send the invoice?

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just checked and I have the same. Didn't notice...

BTW do you get two identical emails every time they send the invoice?

Yea I always get two email and have since day one.

Digiweb have upped my profile to the 500mb. Getting 475-487 wired and about 325mb on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Digiweb have upped my profile to the 500mb. Getting 475-487 wired and about 325mb on WiFi.

Wow that happened quicker than I expected. Still the same here 300Mbps profile here....

nice, it's a pity Eir have really dropped the ball with this 500 profile. I'm beginning to wonder are they even going to offer it at all as they have only been selling the 150 and 1000 plans over the past 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi All, just to confirm all our existing customers on the 300 profile are in the process of being upgraded to the 500 profile over the next couple of days. No price change.

For new customers we won't be offering the 300 profile any longer so going forward for OpenEir FTTH will be 150,500 or 1000 available.

Advertisement