Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

v.17 of open-eir's wholesale price list now published. Includes the new 500 Mb profile and charges up to the end of June 2021 for all profiles, except for the 300 Mb profile which ends Dec 2020, end of product I assume?

The new price list doesn't include the new reduced connection and migration charges which take effect from Jul 1st and were included in their FTTH price reductions 2020 notice on their website.

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Broadband-Price-List-V17_0-Unmarked-27042020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Cush wrote: »
    v.17 of open-eir's wholesale price list now published. Includes the new 500 Mb profile and charges up to the end of June 2021 for all profiles, except for the 300 Mb profile which ends Dec 2020, end of product I assume?

That was the plan all along, yes.
    The Cush wrote: »
    The new price list doesn't include the new reduced connection and migration charges which take effect from Jul 1st and were included in their FTTH price reductions 2020 notice on their website.

And this is the reason, why you never ever rely on what's in a proposed published OpenEIR pricing list. Happens all the time.

The only thing, that matters, are the final ones.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I fail to understand why Openeir cannot be held to the prices they published in their public announcement.

It reads to me like a binding 'offer' to supply, as I do not recall any rider attached which said the offer is dependent on some other factors.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The announced prices could still come into effect in v18 (or later) of the price list. We really won't know for sure that it's not happening until either (a) they publicly rescind the announcement, or (b) July 1 comes and goes without a revision to the published price list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got through to an Eir support agent about the Eir Fibre Extreme 300 plan and he told me that Eir have no plans that he knows of to increase the speed of customers on 300 to 500 and no plans to introduce a new 500 product. Eir are currently only offering two speeds to customers, 150 and 1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I fail to understand why Openeir cannot be held to the prices they published in their public announcement.

It will likely appear in the next revision as posted above, v.17 above which added the 500 Mb profile first appeared as a proposal v.16.1 in Jan. The reduced connection/migration charges appeared in v.16.2 in April although that draft also included the proposal for reduced wholesale port charges which have appeared in v.17

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Does anyone know what the Eir FTTH ipv6 delegation size is? I've come across a few years old posts stating various numbers between 64 and 56 but I can only manage to get one /64 from my own testing and following guides.

Seems like /64 is the appropriate size for one lan segment (without breaking SLAAC) and I'm setting up a second one for separating working from home devices.

Using an opnsense router so it's also a high possibility I'm just doing something silly to make it not work

I'm not sure about your question but I would love to know what settings you used on the wan interface to make it option an ipv6 address. I am using pfsense and have not been able to make it option an ipv6 address.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Gonzo wrote: »
    I got through to an Eir support agent about the Eir Fibre Extreme 300 plan and he told me that Eir have no plans that he knows of to increase the speed of customers on 300 to 500 and no plans to introduce a new 500 product. Eir are currently only offering two speeds to customers, 150 and 1000.
    No I installed a 300 on monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

babi-hrse wrote: »

Where can the 300 package be ordered from? It's not on their website.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

babi-hrse wrote: »

The 300 plan hasn't been available to order on Eir website since last year. How was the customer able to order it? From what I heard there is no plans to offer the 500 either.

• Advertisement

The only thing I could guess is they ordered it a long time ago and only got the install now because of technical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fmannix10 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about your question but I would love to know what settings you used on the wan interface to make it option an ipv6 address. I am using pfsense and have not been able to make it option an ipv6 address.

No problem

Interfaces -> WAN ->

IPV6 Configuration Type [DHCPv6]

DHCPv6 client configuration
    [Basic]
    Request only an IPv6 Prefix [True]
    Prefix Delegation Size [64]
    Use IPv4 connectivity [True]
    Use VLAN priority [Disabled]

Interfaces -> LAN ->

IPv6 Configuration Type [Track Interface]

Track IPv6 Interface
    IPv6 Interface WAN
    IPv6 Prefix ID [0x 0]

screenshots attached showing those values. I'd suggest backing up / noting what your working settings are first just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

No problem

Interfaces -> WAN ->

IPV6 Configuration Type [DHCPv6]

DHCPv6 client configuration
    [Basic]
    Request only an IPv6 Prefix [True]
    Prefix Delegation Size [64]
    Use IPv4 connectivity [True]
    Use VLAN priority [Disabled]

Interfaces -> LAN ->

IPv6 Configuration Type [Track Interface]

Track IPv6 Interface
    IPv6 Interface WAN
    IPv6 Prefix ID [0x 0]

screenshots attached showing those values. I'd suggest backing up / noting what your working settings are first just in case.

This does not seem to work for me. I do get an IPv6 prefix but not an ipv6 address. Do does your WAN_DHCP6 gateway show as online? Mine is pending with these settings.

If you go to https://ipv6-test.com/ does it say supported for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Hi,

Has any airwire customers got the 300Mbps to 500Mpbs upgrade yet? I was in touch with them two weeks and then told me they'd be upgrading all customers within a week or two. But nothing yet.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fmannix10 wrote: »
    This does not seem to work for me. I do get an IPv6 prefix but not an ipv6 address. Do does your WAN_DHCP6 gateway show as online? Mine is pending with these settings.

If you go to https://ipv6-test.com/ does it say supported for you?

WAN DHCP6 gateway shows online but no IP
    514224.png
    ipv6-test gives me all green except with filtered ICMP so an 18/20 score.

test-ipv6.com gives a 10/10 score.

All devices on the LAN network are getting their own ipv6 address and scoring 10/10 on ipv6-test also.

Not really sure how to help you debug your issue. Are you 100% sure you chose exactly the same options as I did?

darkside71 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has any airwire customers got the 300Mbps to 500Mpbs upgrade yet? I was in touch with them two weeks and then told me they'd be upgrading all customers within a week or two. But nothing yet.

Thanks

Hopefully you'll have that upgrade soon. I'm with Eir and giving serious consideration switching provider as they have no plans to upgrade from 300Mbps to 500Mbps. I get the feeling the 300 plan had such a small takeup compared to the 150 and 1000, that Eir are just not bothered with it anymore.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll have that upgrade soon. I'm with Eir and giving serious consideration switching provider as they have no plans to upgrade from 300Mbps to 500Mbps. I get the feeling the 300 plan had such a small takeup compared to the 150 and 1000, that Eir are just not bothered with it anymore.

Thanks, I'm hoping I get the upgrade soon as well. There was a post on here from the Airwire Representative back on the 8th of May saying all customers would have within a week. I know Digiweb already seems to have rolled it out.

It strange that Eir doesn't think there's a market for the 500 Package, considering a good number of other resellers have it.

Just about switching providers, while I have not really considered it yet. I was looking a puretelecom and their current offer. They are offering the 1Gbps for 35 per month for six months and then 75 after. it's a 12 months contract. So it works out at 660 for the year, cheaper than what I currently pay for the 300Mbps package. I'm not sure how good the support from pure telecom actually is, but since they are just reselling a package like other resellers.. maybe it's not too bad. But I'd like confirm before if I was every going to move. Probably would need a more powerful router to take advantage of the 1Gbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm not sure how good the support from pure telecom actually is, but since they are just reselling a package like other resellers

None of the providers are "resellers" and every provider differs.

The OpenEIR FTTH connection is only one piece of the string.

The entire connection would consist of:
    - OpenEIR FTTH
    - The providers own network to bring it from the interconnect through their own core network (the interconnect could for example be in Galway or Ennis or Castlebar and the connection would need to be brought to for example Belfast, Dublin or Cork). This part has nothing to do with OpenEIR.
    - The providers own internet connectivity with carriers and peering at internet exchanges. This part has nothing to do with OpenEIR.
    - What the provider offers (IPv4, IPv6, Static IP or not, etc., what their support is like etc.) This part has nothing to do with OpenEIR.

It's not just like buying a product from wholesale, branding it maybe, putting it on the shelf and selling it. That's also the reason, why the OpenEIR wholesale price is not indicative of the cost to the provider.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Are there any providers doing fibre for short term e.g. a monthly basis or 3 month contract rather than 12 months?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

daraghwal wrote: »
    Are there any providers doing fibre for short term e.g. a monthly basis or 3 month contract rather than 12 months?

Unlikely. The wholesale providers require at least a six-month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We offer 6 months contracts, but as we have a minimum commitment of 6 months to for example OpenEIR and SIRO, it's impossible to offer shorter contracts.

Also, non of the usual discounts, like cheaper installation, free router, etc. would be available on short term contracts. A 6 months contract often works out very similar to a 12 month contract on the retail price. So unless you already have a suitable router, there is very little benefit to sign up for 6 months only.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

While not fibre the closest offering to what you are asking for is Virgin Media cable broadband "250MB Freedom broadband" which has a 30-day contract. Depending on where you live, this may or may not be available.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Thanks, I'm hoping I get the upgrade soon as well. There was a post on here from the Airwire Representative back on the 8th of May saying all customers would have within a week. I know Digiweb already seems to have rolled it out.

It strange that Eir doesn't think there's a market for the 500 Package, considering a good number of other resellers have it.

Just about switching providers, while I have not really considered it yet. I was looking a puretelecom and their current offer. They are offering the 1Gbps for 35 per month for six months and then 75 after. it's a 12 months contract. So it works out at 660 for the year, cheaper than what I currently pay for the 300Mbps package. I'm not sure how good the support from pure telecom actually is, but since they are just reselling a package like other resellers.. maybe it's not too bad. But I'd like confirm before if I was every going to move. Probably would need a more powerful router to take advantage of the 1Gbps.
    Any more on the Airwire upgrade from 300Mb/s to 500Mb/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

nanook5 wrote: »
    Any more on the Airwire upgrade from 300Mb/s to 500Mb/s?

Package	    Speed (down / up)	   Cap	Monthly fee
    Pro Step 2	150 / 30 Mbit/s	   None	€49.00
    Pro Step 3	500 / 50 Mbit/s	   None	€59.00
    Pro Step 4	1000 / 100 Mbit/s  None	€79.00

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ftth

That's for new customers, I don't know if existing customers have been upgraded yet.

That's for new customers, I don't know if existing customers have been upgraded yet.

The majority of customers on the 300 Mbit/s profile have been upgraded. Customers can check that in their account.

It's a manual process, so it doesn't quite go as quickly, as expected, but everyone will be on the 500 Mbit/s soon enough.

The majority of customers on the 300 Mbit/s profile have been upgraded. Customers can check that in their account.

It's a manual process, so it doesn't quite go as quickly, as expected, but everyone will be on the 500 Mbit/s soon enough.

I sent an email back on the 12th of May and was told it was going to be within a week or two. I then called on the 26th and was told that management are currently reviewing the upgrades as it will put extra pressure on current infrastructure and needs to be planned. Which is Fair enough, but from that line I got the impression the upgrades hadn't started yet.

I really like your service, but to be fair the comms from here and from support seem to differ a little and it's a little confusing. Was told to call back today if I still haven't been upgraded, which I haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I have been upgraded:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Any FTTH customers having speed issues this evening?

Advertisement