Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Remind me wrote: »
    You’re bringing Liam Neeson films into it?!! Like the stereotypical Irish drunk? Or stupid American?
    How far somewhere is away should make no difference or not matter a jot.
    Is there definitive proof it was to be 38 men?
    Poland had plenty of corruption, look at the current state of the Czech Republic.
    As mentioned already, the 38 men was stated directly to a local councillor from the Agency that deals with this.
    Suggest you do some basic research. It was only altered (after) protest. You really can't keep kicking this can down the road.

Also (if your did some research) to IPO rejections you would find 99% of Albanians are rejected.
    Only 3 places were deemed valid from 374 in 2018. Actually that's a 0.03% valid rate. Not very high is it?
    Wonder how many genuine cases were missed due to this behaviour.

Also (research, again!) take a look into criminality
    e.g. Within the UK in regards to Albanina gangs you may get a shock, they are the 'A-team' of sorts.

Distance no issue?
    Why not ask S.Korea to join the EU, a great bunch of lads.

You’re bringing Liam Neeson films into it?!! Like the stereotypical Irish drunk? Or stupid American?

How far somewhere is away should make no difference or not matter a jot.

Is there definitive proof it was to be 38 men?

Poland had plenty of corruption, look at the current state of the Czech Republic.

On the 25th October

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/34471-agency-confirms-intention-to-house-38-males-in-achill-centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Find it hard to believe ppl from hundreds of miles away from achill are acting as experts on the situation.

Wind yer necks in and maybe listen to the locals for once in your lives !

Well, there was a post early in the thread by what I gather to be a local but it went virtually ignored, maybe because it wasn’t what people wanted to hear. Why was this post basically ignored?
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    The locals weren't all that opposed to this. There was a lot of **** stirring by "concerned" oddballs with no connection to the area trying to get folks into a tizzy, which was very interesting to see first hand I have to say. A few of the more gullible folks got sucked in and protested, a similar amount of others were openly accepting of the idea, the vast majority of the island went about their lives and didn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

As mentioned already, the 38 men was stated directly to a local councillor from the Agency that deals with this.
    Suggest you do some basic research. It was only altered (after) protest. You really can't keep kicking this can down the road.

Also (if your did some research) to IPO rejections you would find 99% of Albanians are rejected.
    Only 3 places were deemed valid from 374 in 2018. Actually that's a 0.03% valid rate. Not very high is it?
    Wonder how many genuine cases were missed due to this behaviour.

Also (research, again!) take a look into criminality
    e.g. Within the UK in regards to Albanina gangs you may get a shock, they are the 'A-team' of sorts.

Distance no issue?
    Why not ask S.Korea to join the EU, a great bunch of lads.

What are you talking about with your research? You have brought up Albania and are stating research you have done, I don’t really care about your knowledge of Albania.

WTF has S. Korea got to do with it? To keep in line with your fear of EU expansion, if it is to expand, the likes of Albania and North Macedonia are natural progression not a country already in ASEAN.....the US don’t mind the distance to be a member of that by the way.

What are you talking about with your research? You have brought up Albania and are stating research you have done, I don’t really care about your knowledge of Albania.

WTF has S. Korea got to do with it? To keep in line with your fear of EU expansion, if it is to expand, the likes of Albania and North Macedonia are natural progression not a country already in ASEAN.....the US don’t mind the distance to be a member of that by the way.
    Just highlighting your lack of basic knowledge in this area. You were convinced there was no plans for 38 men, (perhaps still are).

The other question was, how many is too many?

Do you think Turkey should join (likely next after the WB6)? They are/were afterall, an official candiate for membership consideration.

And after that, Belarus and the Ukraine? Then N.Africa (Barca' agreement)? Bear in mind the UK will likely have left, and later possibly Italy also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Well, there was a post early in the thread by what I gather to be a local but it went virtually ignored, maybe because it wasn’t what people wanted to hear. Why was this post basically ignored?

Yea the local group on the news welcoming the asylum seekers seems to be largely ignored here, an inconvient truth, "Sure them yankee latte-liberals are only commie infiltrators." Only locals can comment on matters if they conform, everyone else fook off.

Just highlighting your lack of basic knowledge in this area. You were convinced there was no plans for 38 men, (perhaps still are).

The other question was, how many is too many?

Do you think Turkey should join (likely next after the WB6)? They are/were afterall, an official candiate for membership consideration.

And after that, Belarus and the Ukraine? Then N.Africa (Barca' agreement)? Bear in mind the UK will likely have left, and later possibly Italy also.

No you’re trying to be smart by highlighting your knowledge of a country YOU brought up.

No I see the article and quotes. I never questioned the 38, I questioned the fa t it was 38 single men based on the knowledge I have of Dept Justice.

I do enjoy your fear of expansion though and the massive leaps you are taking to countries joining that haven’t even taken the first step in doing so.

I, along with everyone else has no idea how many are too many but why should countries not benefit from the EU the way Ireland has if they meet the requirements? Because your fear of people coming to live here?

I do enjoy your fear of expansion though and the massive leaps you are taking to countries joining that haven’t even taken the first step in doing so.
    At last (hopefully) you can admit you were wrong from the outset, about unsmartly denying it was 38 males destined for Achill, (due to lack of very basic research).

Was just asking a simple quesiton in light of brexit, increased trafficking and high levels of IPO rejection rates.
    I.e. Can the EU exapand non-stop? (Bear in mind it may risk loosing some of it's founding states by doing so).

Thus, we can assume you'd welcome Turkey's 80m or so (already taking the first steps to do so, and candidate for membership).
    Turkey, who only last week, threatened to offload a few million into the EU if it didn't get more cash. Whatever could go wrong?

At last (hopefully) you can admit you were wrong from the outset, about unsmartly denying it was 38 males destined for Achill, (due to lack of very basic research).

Was just asking a simple quesiton in light of brexit, increased trafficking and high levels of IPO rejection rates.
    I.e. Can the EU exapand non-stop? (Bear in mind it may risk loosing some of it's founding states by doing so).

Thus, we can assume you'd welcome Turkey's 80m or so (already taking the first steps to do so, and candidate for membership).
    Turkey, who only last week, threatened to offload a few million into the EU if it didn't get more cash. Whatever could go wrong?

Ah so you just have a need to feel you are right and completely throw the thread off track?!

I never denied it was 38 men, if you do some ‘basic research’ you like to sh**e on about you will find it is very unusual for Ireland to accept individual men, that’s where my very simple question and comment came from.

I’ll await the 80 million Turks and leave you go back to researching

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

There's no transparency, no opportunity for folk to have their say, so they're going to protest. Sure, there's a bunch of outsiders stirring things up, they've their own agenda. If you're up front and honest about things and say offer to locals we'll expand GP services as a whole of community gain, then much better than dictats from whatever HQ in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I think all these protest fiascos prove how easy it is to whip up hysteria in the chinese-whispers-social media era.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think all these protest fiascos prove how easy it is to whip up hysteria in the chinese-whispers-social media era.

Indeed we only have to look at the likes of the extinction rebellion to see that. Its a tool being employed by all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The working class are rebelling and they are getting traction on this.

Each victory encourages the next protest and fight back.

ACHILL IN DECEMBER!!!

time-to-change-winter-is-coming-meme.png

ACHILL IN DECEMBER!!!

time-to-change-winter-is-coming-meme.png

Siberia would be a picnic compared to a warzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

Says person arguing on boards.

You are arguing with us telling us basically the locals in Achill are wrong.

I'm not. I would have the same viewpoint as them.

If you really want to change their minds get over to Achill would be my suggestion.

If they embraced the DP facility which I would be against, the last place I'd be would be bitching about it here....each to there own.
    most of em dont even like diaspora comin back, tbh!

I've come back home having been away a good few years and this is 100% true.

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    You are arguing with us telling us basically the locals in Achill are wrong.

I'm not. I would have the same viewpoint as them.

If you really want to change their minds get over to Achill would be my suggestion.

If they embraced the DP facility which I would be against, the last place I'd be would be bitching about it here....each to there own.

I've come back home having been away a good few years and this is 100% true.

If you bothered reading the previous posts properly you would realise there is a group pf LOCALS who are pro-asylum seeker, heaven forbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

32 pages and running a search for 'owner' results in 4 results, says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What is being ignored is what the local Achill councillor said at the outset when the Dept suddenly announced 38 males were arriving the next day; that the accommodation etc WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH for asylum seekers. That Achill could not offer them what they need, traumatised as they are.

He also stated very clearly that Achill would be very happy to take families, into houses, living as families, so that there could be full integration.

Some are saying that any accommodation is better than what they have come from. The Dept will take full advantage of that idea and we will never see asylum seekers treated with humanity and their needs appropriately met.
    Especially when there are families and children involved. Achill could be instrumental in settling asylum seekers with dignity and humanity. IF they stand their ground over this.
    They have already got the Dept to climb down some of the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Can you explain to me in what way is refusal to allow brown skinned people from “overpopulated third world countries” (as one ‘non-racist’ poster helpfully put it) live in your locality not racist?

What is it if it’s not racist? Concern for their welfare?

This thread is stuffed full of ignorant, racist bile, spewed by the usual crew who infest every similar thread with the same racist angle.

Just because someone says you’re a racist doesn’t mean it’s not true.

How do you know they are brown skinned?

We take in loads from Albania, Georgia and South Africa.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Again lovely work by Justice. Tell people it’s just 13 women but tell others it may be 38 men also. Charlie really doesn’t think much of Irish people does he. The reason this has gone so badly is because of stupid stuff like this. How would Charlie like 38 males from a totally different culture and environment moved in beside him without even asking ? The DOJ should not be involved in this process anymore as how they’ve handled this is totally dysfunctional. Want a Céad míle fáilte ? Then stop lying to the Irish people. Have a fair transparent asylum process. Christ is that difficult to be up front with your own people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Danzy wrote: »
    The working class are rebelling and they are getting traction on this.

Each victory encourages the next protest and fight back.

When people go on about this fabled salt of the earth working class who do they mean? I don't earn much money but don't have a problem with refugees and vote green, and I live in a corpo estate.
    What's the cut off point in salaries for being considered one of these working class who get no say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

Graces7 wrote: »
    What is being ignored is what the local Achill councillor said at the outset when the Dept suddenly announced 38 males were arriving the next day; that the accommodation etc WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH for asylum seekers. That Achill could not offer them what they need, traumatised as they are.

He also stated very clearly that Achill would be very happy to take families, into houses, living as families, so that there could be full integration.

Some are saying that any accommodation is better than what they have come from. The Dept will take full advantage of that idea and we will never see asylum seekers treated with humanity and their needs appropriately met.

Complete deflection.

Who owns the houses/ Are they available for lease? At what cost? Etc. Probably at a lot bigger cost than one hotel. Asylum seekers only get a small allowance. How are they going to support themselves in houses? Food, heat, utilities, etc, etc. Are they going to get full Social Welfare allowances to allow for this? Do you think that the outcry from the naysayers would subside or explode if this were to happen? That is not even to mention the cry of "why not provide the houses for our own?

(If they want to argue for a different direct provision model for the future nationally, that is another matter. It is irrelevant to the current need)

All this local cry of "we only want humane provision" is mostly the height of hypocrisy. I know that they are too embarrassed to be seen as just saying "No" but that is what they are doing - and too cowardly to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

What the hell??? Single men are the main cohort of asy seekers.
    What are you on about? Your understanding is that single men are not accepted as asy seekers?!
    Wait until the likes of Albania and the Western Balkans join the EU. Currently 99% of asy claims from Alb are rejected and deemed invalid.

Genuine questions..... why this new terminology?
    What's the thinking behind dropping the word "asylum"?
    Is it associated with any particular groups?

I haven't seen it used before and I'm curious ...the posters using "asy" are obviously not welcoming asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It’s gas, the people most vehemently against these refugees are British people who have been provided free social housing by the State, Chinese, and Africans. You couldn’t make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

carolmon wrote: »
    Genuine questions..... why this new terminology?
    What's the thinking behind dropping the word "asylum"?
    Is it associated with any particular groups?

I haven't seen it used before and I'm curious ...the posters using "asy" are obviously not welcoming asylum seekers

Probably something to do with the White Nationalist Party.

They meet in secret you know.

You see this is being turned into a race issue because then the Department have more weight to cover up their total incompetence and coming out saying Irish people are no longer welcoming etc. Most Irish are actually not racist and very welcoming, we just don’t want to be flooded with undocumented males without being asked or without any repercussions if they are not genuine refugees or if they commit serious offenses. That’s the fear, and having that fear does not make you racist. If the process is rigid and transparent and scam artists and criminals are deported then I welcome anyone coming here from war or escaping torture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Hal3000 wrote: »
    we just don’t want to be flooded with undocumented males without being asked or without any repercussions if they are not genuine refugees or if they commit serious offenses. That’s the fear, and having that fear does not make you racist.

That’s precisely what makes it racist. There are thousands of single males coming here every week for work and leisure, you’re not at the airport protesting and looking for their bona fides.

I’m starting to think maybe people genuinely don’t consider their views as racist and sectarian despite it being patently obvious to most right thinking, decent people.

That’s precisely what makes it racist. There are thousands of single males coming here every week for work and leisure, you’re not at the airport protesting and looking for their bona fides.

I’m starting to think maybe people genuinely don’t consider their views as racist and sectarian despite it being patently obvious to most right thinking, decent people.

Sorry to disappoint you but I’m not racist, not even in the slightest. I want accountable and a rigid system for immigration - asylum seekers, nothing to do with race so jog on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Graces7 wrote: »

Especially when there are families and children involved. Achill could be instrumental in settling asylum seekers with dignity and humanity. IF they stand their ground over this.
    They have already got the Dept to climb down some of the way...

Such good christians :)

I remember the story in the bible about how if a man has two cloaks he should give one to a poor man
    'Luke wrote:
    John answered, "Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none*."

*but only if the shirt is a perfect fit. If it's not 100% perfect in fit and style, it's completely totally cool to tell the poor man to stand there in the cold until a perfect shirt magically appears.

Advertisement