Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

B0jangles wrote: »
    Such good christians :)

I remember the story in the bible about how if a man has two cloaks he should give one to a poor man

Judge not lest ye be judged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you but I’m not racist, not even in the slightest. I want accountable and a rigid system for immigration - asylum seekers, nothing to do with race so jog on.

Will you still not be racist when 500,000 muslims are living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

vriesmays wrote: »

Islam isn't a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

If they’re functioning members of society who are held accountable for their actions then yes I’ll be fine thank you very much. If you’ve bothered to follow my posts here I’m not interested in race, I’m interested in accountability and transparency around the asylum process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Growing number of Muslims
    There were 63,443 Muslims in Ireland in April 2016, up from 49,204 (+28.9%) five years previously. Some 16,364 (25.8%) of all Muslims were aged between 5 and 18 years old. More than 4 in 10 (43.5%) of all of Ireland's Muslims lived in Dublin city and suburbs.

https://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/pressreleases/2017pressreleases/pressstatementcensus2016resultsprofile8-irishtravellersethnicityandreligion/

Going to take quite a while to reach the 500,000 figure I would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Oh you whasist you!!! Accept or be destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

If you don’t agree with Ireland’s immigration and Asylum process or look for the process to be transparent and accountable you’re now a racist ! What a lovely democracy we now live in.

Justice Minister calls for 'lifting of the siege' at Achill direct provision protest

"Plans to accommodate 13 asylum seekers on the island were postponed on Thursday with the Department of Justice stating that a move there “would not be in their best interests”.

The women, who came to Ireland seeking international protection, were expected to stay in Achill for a maximum of three months.

He stressed that the Achill Head hotel would not become a direct provision centre but was providing temporary accommodation for vulnerable women and children.

They would be provided with the basic essentials of bed and board, he added. Not only was this a legal obligation for the Government, but it was also a moral obligation, he said.

He said:

““I don’t believe this position (protest) is representative of the people of Mayo. I am appealing for the lifting of the siege (in Achill)."”

A spokesperson for the local residents refuted the claim that its "silent vigil" was "intimidating in any shape or form".

"It was made up completely of local residents from all over Achill who have huge concerns surrounding the suitability of the Hotel for long-term use of these vulnerable people. Our village will increase from 76 to 114 people which is a 50% population increase."

"Our concerns and anger also lie with the Irish Government who have continuously kept us in the dark regarding the matter and who failed to consult with us regarding a suitable plan for any help or support for the asylum seekers on their arrival to Achill and our fears and concerns about the vulnerability of the group," said the spokesperson.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/justice-minister-calls-for-lifting-of-the-siege-at-achill-direct-provision-protest-961252.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Siberia would be a picnic compared to a warzone.
    Problem is, the vast majority for 2019 to date don't actully come from 'warzones', in fact Syria no longer even features in the top5.

62Ce4QH.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

If the process is rigid and transparent and scam artists and criminals are deported then I welcome anyone coming here from war or escaping torture etc.
    For me, this is the point. And that really important discussion is being avoided.

Its not about whether 13 women or 38 men get placed in Achill, but about how we deal with illegal migrants, particularly those abusing the asylum system.

Place it in that context, and you can only marvel at the Father Ted level of social awkwardness in discussing the topic. Seeking international protection, my backside.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Going to take quite a while to reach the 500,000 figure I would think
    Ire is EU and the EU is Ire. Average projections for 2050 indicate over 11% of the entire population will be muslim. (Sweden over 20%).

3K3ICd2.png
    Factor in that this excludes the 80m in Turkey (and many other states) who will likely join by then. Also the UK will be out, and a closed shop (points-based migration only), and Italy or others (Poland/Greece/Czech) may also decide to leave between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Must say I’m taken aback by the minister talking about “sieges” in achill.

Why is he using such reckless inflammatory language?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You see this is being turned into a race issue because then the Department have more weight to cover up their total incompetence and coming out saying Irish people are no longer welcoming etc. Most Irish are actually not racist and very welcoming, we just don’t want to be flooded with undocumented males without being asked or without any repercussions if they are not genuine refugees or if they commit serious offenses. That’s the fear, and having that fear does not make you racist. If the process is rigid and transparent and scam artists and criminals are deported then I welcome anyone coming here from war or escaping torture etc.

Pretending everything is racist is a way of shutting down debate or dissent.

It suits the modern Left and neo liberals to do this.

On certain key issues like this they are on the same page, think it'll have different outcomes though.

That is a class thing both are largely from the significantly richer in society.

Balf wrote: »
    Seeking international protection, my backside.

It's as clear as day, the two largest sources of applicants are rightfully rejected (97-99.7% fakery).

g6yJW8q.png

Importantly, they've taken all the processing resources, and places of those previously (2018^) from (actual) warzones that should be helped. Syria has since (2019) settled down and stabilised somewhat, hence applications have since greatly reduced from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Must say I’m taken aback by the minister talking about “sieges” in achill.

Why is he using such reckless inflammatory language?!

They are at war with the people there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Why are economic migrants consistently allowed to be re-classified by their proponents and the media as asylum seekers ?

It does the cause of helping genuine asylum seekers untold damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

high_king wrote: »
    Why are economic migrants consistently allowed to be re-classified by their proponents and the media as asylum seekers ?

Indeed look at all the crap going around with Mewish Saqib at the moment . DCU seem to think they are above s countries immigration laws and have a sanctuary program to save the poor economic migrants.

A deportation order is in place for Nov 25th yet the student Union driving a sanctuary means sanctuary campaign. If the government gives in it just sends a message that more extreme measures of protest are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Calhoun wrote: »
    If the government gives in it just sends a message that more extreme measures of protest are correct.

Oh the irony, does the burning of hotels count?

Sorry to disappoint you but I’m not racist, not even in the slightest. I want accountable and a rigid system for immigration - asylum seekers, nothing to do with race so jog on.

The whole everyone that disagrees with me is a racist approach is very tiresome, it actually fans the flames of hate because it's designed to basically silence and discount opinion.

Then there is a shocked pickachu face when protests ECT start happening.

Oh the irony, does the burning of hotels count?

Oh it does, and we will probably see more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

high_king wrote: »

Anyone who can make it from Africa or the middle east to Ireland would have had numerous chances to take refuge.

The people I would feel sorry for are the ones in need still in genuine warzones.....There's no war in most of the places people come from....but once again you will attract lots of people to Ireland based on the Welfare system we have.

I don't blame the people for doing what they are doing at all. A smart person that see an opportunity will go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One of the things rarely mentioned is many economic migrants aren't actually destitute but yet we the taxpayers are funding their lifestyle choices and legal teams when they decide they are going to fight known they have a fraudulent claim.

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    I don't blame the people for doing what they are doing at all. A smart person that see an opportunity will go for it.

No one blames them personally, of course people will if they are encouraged to do so. The blame lies with the deliberate policies of this country. There are lots of countries Irish people just can't waltz into as much as we might like to. Even Americans can't freely move to live in Ireland if they want to. There's something funny going on. It's like the re plantation of so called "rural" Ireland all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Siberia would be a picnic compared to a warzone.

Those famous Georgian, Albanian and Nigerian wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Those famous Georgian, Albanian and Nigerian wars.

Syria? Pretty sure there has been a spot of bother there.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Indeed look at all the crap going around with Mewish Saqib at the moment . DCU seem to think they are above s countries immigration laws and have a sanctuary program to save the poor economic migrants.

A deportation order is in place for Nov 25th yet the student Union driving a sanctuary means sanctuary campaign. If the government gives in it just sends a message that more extreme measures of protest are correct.

The Adrian Kennedy phone show refused to have anyone on that agreed with the deportation order yesterday.

We get claims from a very small amount of Syrians. The majority are Georgian, Albanian and Nigerian. You know this though.

so we're only getting Syrians ? lol

And why are we paying for America and Russia's wargames, why is there no responsibility or onus on these countries for supporting, taking them in and paying for them ?

Gatling wrote: »
    One of the things rarely mentioned is many economic migrants aren't actually destitute but yet we the taxpayers are funding their lifestyle choices and legal teams when they decide they are going to fight known they have a fraudulent claim.

The formula is to attach yourself to some soft group like the DCU case as and get a social media campaign going all the while calling anyone that disagrees a racist.

Look at the crap with your Kisoymbe from the social Democrats party, lying about her background, or any of the other cases in recent years where they have courted social media to get their way.

• Advertisement

That social democrat one got leave to remain in the country after the elections

Advertisement