Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Been with Three for years, contract comes to an end tomorrow. I've been paying €30.50 on my Galaxy S8 the past two years, so now looking for a cheaper plan.

I mostly use my plan for minutes, but I do use calls too, mainly to other mobiles and some occasional landline calls for work.

I've heard mixed reports about Gomo, so what can people tell me are the positives and negatives? And what the closest alternatives might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Been with Three for years, contract comes to an end tomorrow. I've been paying €30.50 on my Galaxy S8 the past two years, so now looking for a cheaper plan.

I mostly use my plan for minutes, but I do use calls too, mainly to other mobiles and some occasional landline calls for work.

I've heard mixed reports about Gomo, so what can people tell me are the positives and negatives? And what the closest alternatives might be?

Since lockdown my speeds have gone to shîte the majority of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I've been with 3 for many many years. I got a gomo card to give it a go. I didn't transfer my number yet,I've diverted my calls to the gomo card and am using it in my phone. So far I have zero complaints, calls and texts ar as they were,however the 4g is like lightening compared to 3. I'll give it a few weeks and if this continues they will have mine and 3 more connections in the near future, thereby saving me a considerable amount of money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm 100% happy. There was one big hitch at some stage re the data, but it turned out it was an issue with Eir themselves rather than with GoMo. I got in touch with Customer Services via chat (that's probably the only downside, no one to speak to in person as there's no number) but they were clear and honest in their replies (unlike Vodafone who've been incompetent, rude and impossible to deal with, you wouldn't get a straight answer out of them if your life depended on it). It got sorted quickly.

The data slowed down for a few hours a few days ago but it went back to normal in no time.

I know some people had trouble porting their number but if you make sure that the SIM you get corresponds to the SIM shown on your account it's no hassle.

I only wish they had some deal for international calls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

By the way, make sure your phone is unlocked before switching!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Hmm, i got a voicemail message and when I try to listen to it it tells me voice mail is not set up. I can't for the life of me find the voice mail settings on the Gomo website. And webchat is gone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just got a message in messages on android (using a Samsung Galaxy m30s) about activating rcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Just got a message in messages on android (using a Samsung Galaxy m30s) about activating rcs.

Yes I got that the other day also on my Samsung Galaxy A50, they must be rolling it out to all users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I am on VF prepay and my son is on three prepay.

Last month I ordered 2 gomo sims for son and myself and I inputted all details created my online account and sch rules the sons number to port over.

Four weeks later his old three Ireland number appears to be dead and his gomo active but the old number never ported over.

I've messaged and emailed gomo support and no joy.

They just send me a link to my account log in but each time I seller port number again the verification text never arrives to the old three sim.

If this is not resolved by Monday I'm chucking them in the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

IrishHomer wrote: »

Last month I ordered 2 gomo sims for son and myself and I inputted all details created my online account and sch rules the sons number to port over.

Four weeks later his old three Ireland number appears to be dead and his gomo active but the old number never ported over.

They just send me a link to my account log in but each time I seller port number again the verification text never arrives to the old three sim.

Did you number port over, very strange it hasn't completed correctly on your son's number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Anyone’s GoMo signal dreadful the last week. North Dublin here and it’s been abysmal. No service constantly in the house and flickering to E otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

august12 wrote: »
    Did you number port over, very strange it hasn't completed correctly on your son's number.

I did yes.

I'm in limbo now very fed up wonder can just cancel and go back to three

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I did yes.

I'm in limbo now very fed up wonder can just cancel and go back to three

You'd likely have the same issue trying to port to another network if you can't receive a verification SMS. Best to just persist with online chat on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Contact Three and ask them is your Son's number still active. If it is not you cant receive the verification text...

They may have a record of the port and could tell you if your Son's number left the Network.

Don't throw them in the bin. Be patient

Gomos customer service and their parent company Eir have dreadful customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

The only way of contacting Gomo is through messenger on Facebook, their own chat on their website is brutal,

I haven't found that at all. Maybe I was lucky, I don't know (Gomo, I mean, not Eir).
    Eir are the ones having problems at the moment.
    https://downdetector.ie/status/eircom/

Irish Homer, have you checked that the SIM you got corresponds to the SIM shown on your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I have been with Go Mo since January and was previously with tesco mobile. I find the internet speed better with Go Mo. I am in an city area.

My issue is with Rosming in the UK. It doesnt work for me. I'm using a Samsung A70 device and when I was in Belfast a few months ago and Central London a few weeks ago GO MO registered on the UK EE network. The internet was an intermittent connection. I could not make ANY calls to Irish numbers landlines or mobiles.

Customer service absolutely no assistance. They suggested the problem MAY be that I barred Internation numbers but Irish Landlines are not internation numbers. They couldnt definitively say this was the problem and said they would have to 'test' it but I had returned to Eire by then.

I could easily RECEIVE calls while roaming in UK.

(Tesco mobile was excellent roaming in UK on O2 network. Their customer service was excellent also)

Otherwise I'm happy with GO MO. It's great value at 9.99. apart from inability to make calls while roaming.

Dud anybody else encounter this problem.

There *could* be a setting on your phone that prevents you from using data and making calls while roaming, not just relating to premium numbers - I know there was one on my old Samsung. It could also be related to the network you're connecting to while roaming (not sure what would happened if you manually picked a different one...)

For the data, in mine it was under Settings --> Mobile netork --> Data roaming
    For the calls, it was under Phone settings --> Additional settings, there may be something in there.

New Home wrote: »
    There *could* be a setting on your phone that prevents you from using data and making calls while roaming, not just relating to premium numbers - I know there was one on my old Samsung. It could also be related to the network you're connecting to while roaming (not sure what would happened if you manually picked a different one...)

For the data, in mine it was under Settings --> Mobile netork --> Data roaming
    For the calls, it was under Phone settings --> Additional settings, there may be something in there.

Thanks for the input. I understand The only network go mo supports in UK is EE. I tried manual selection of other networks to no avail.

I did have data most of the time while roaming.

Calls could be received not made.

I had the same problem in Belfast. Go Mo proved themselves to be utterly useless, no technical support whatsoever.

Belfast is still abroad, so you'd be roaming whether you're 5 or 5000km from home, so if the problem is with roaming Belfast or Brisbane it won't make a difference. Receiving calls is not the same as making them. I don't mean to defend GoMo or dismiss your experience, if you're not happy with them, you're not happy, but have you tried looking to see a. what's EE coverage and b. what data settings they have?

• Advertisement

Were you putting the +353 prefix in? I know when I'm roaming on my phone (Vodafone) it won't ring home if I just use the 01, 057, 086, etc. Ended up just saving all my contacts in my phone as +353, +44, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

We were in Belfast end of July & found the coverage excellent. Three of us on Gomo. Data connection was really good.

Were you putting the +353 prefix in? I know when I'm roaming on my phone (Vodafone) it won't ring home if I just use the 01, 057, 086, etc. Ended up just saving all my contacts in my phone as +353, +44, etc.

Yes I tried ringing Ireland while roaming using 00353 dropping 1st digit and ringing normally neither worked (samsung phones give you the option on each call). There was a bar on international calls placed by me. Go Mo thought this MAY be the cause but couldnt say definitively which I thought strange. They couldnt test this as by the time I returned they got back to me. They were very slow in responding. I could receive data and calls with EEwhile roaming so obviously there was coverage in Central London and Belfast. Customer support with GoMo was very poor in comparison to tesco mobile who offered excellent technical support when I was with them. Go Mo never offered any solution eg changing settings etc. only to manually select network and make sure roaming was on when it was obviously on when they were informed data was being received.

jgbyr wrote: »
    We were in Belfast end of July & found the coverage excellent. Three of us on Gomo. Data connection was really good.

So you could make calls and you did not select to have international calls barred as I did ? If so I am thinking the issue is international call barring. Interesting GO Mo could only suggest this MAY be the problem and would need to 'test' the theory it as if they hadn't experienced the problem before.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    So you could make calls and you did not select to have international calls barred as I did ? If so I am thinking the issue is international call barring. Interesting GO Mo could only suggest this MAY be the problem and would need to 'test' the theory it as if they hadn't experienced the problem before.

No, I don't have international call barring. I just switched on data roaming once we got to Newry & phone connected to EE.

No, I don't have international call barring. I just switched on data roaming once we got to Newry & phone connected to EE.

So I take it you didnt make any phone calls to Irish numbers or you were able to make such calls while roaming which is what I was wondering.

Apologies, yes I could make calls to Irish numbers

Apologies, yes I could make calls to Irish numbers

It was probably international call barring. I must remove this before my next visit to London. It's a nuisance. International calls, I thoughts of was supposed to be roam like at home. Seems they may classify calls to irish nos. while abroad as international. You would think go mo would have known immediately this was the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Anyone know how to stop the GoMo Welcome to UK text messages I receive
    anytime I get within sniffing distance of the border.

I get several texts a week whilst I am still in the ROI and they are quite irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's a known issue, widely reported in this thread some months ago, of GoMo posting people the wrong SIM. You need to check the 089 number that's printed on the SIM packaging and see if it matches the 089 number that appears in your My GoMo account BEFORE porting!

If you received the wrong SIM and porting has taken place, then either your number has ported over to another GoMo customer who also received the wrong SIM (your SIM) or its ported to a SIM that's still sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Try ringing your number to see if someone else answers.

The only way to sort this is to cancel the GoMo SIM and get them to post you out another one. Once the porting has happened, you can't reverse it and return to your previous network, or port on to another network, until you receive a GoMo SIM with your actual number on it.

Advertisement