Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Zzippy wrote: »
    The IRFU committee proposed shutting down Connacht as a professional rugby team. Perhaps you have a different definitiion of "disbanded"?

I have a different definition of "were to be"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

awec wrote: »
    Botha is also a fairly average player so if he’s blocking anyone then really they’re not up to much anyway.

Lol shows how much you know then, Jack O'sullivan is easily the best backrow prospect munster have had since O'mahony...and if Arnos not up to much why is he blocking a young player with potential.....this is my point exactly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/the-march-on-lansdowne-road-the-amazing-story-of-how-the-passion-of-a-province-saved-connacht-from-extinction-34733009.html

It was a very real threat.

Its now great we have four provinces in Europe. But i do wonder why Connacht hasn't being given some of the young talent. Not the cast offs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Lol shows how much you know then, Jack O'sullivan is easily the best backrow prospect munster have had since O'mahony...and if Arnos not up to much why is he blocking a young player with potential.....this is my point exactly

If you're concern is NIE's blocking players, Botha is the only one we'll have in the squad after Saturday.

You seemed to suggest Munster should've given contracts to Ben Betts, Kelvin Brown, Frank Bradshaw Ryan, Paddy Ryan? But that overlooks the fact that those players, who haven't done anything since to suggest they are or were good enough, would then in turn be blocking the academy players behind them, who have potentially higher ceilings.

If your concern is blocking players with international potential, then signing Ben Betts, Kelvin Brown, Frank Bradshaw Ryan, and Paddy Ryan isn't the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Connacht would have been disbanded only for the backlash and particularly the involvement of prominent and powerful politicians from across parties. It was early days of professional rugby and IRFU governance was a joke.

They had ninety rooms in five star hotel in Rome for upcoming six nations and anyone who ever had a cup of tea with a member of the committee were going on such skites with flights and accommodation covered but they were deeply concerned about the financial situation and the solution was to disband Connacht and save the pittance being given the province, just don’t affect the outings. Cowboy stuff, thankfully didn’t come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Niallof9 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/the-march-on-lansdowne-road-the-amazing-story-of-how-the-passion-of-a-province-saved-connacht-from-extinction-34733009.html

It was a very real threat.

Its now great we have four provinces in Europe. But i do wonder why Connacht hasn't being given some of the young talent. Not the cast offs.

Whats your plan? take kids of 16 and tell them and their family to move to Connacht?

Don't mind your job, your family, grand parents, support structure etc.....Connacht need to get a couple of young players down :p:p:p

The stuff posted on this forum is the last few days just shows how of touch with reality people are......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Whats your plan? take kids of 16 and tell them and their family to move to Connacht?

Don't mind your job, your family, grand parents, support structure etc.....Connacht need to get a couple of young players down :p:p:p

The stuff posted on this forum is the last few days just shows how of touch with reality people are......

I've made it clear which players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think Arno Botha is a cracking player, started like a freight train for us but a dip in form end of last season. Has been in good form this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

leakyboots wrote: »
    Maybe I'm alone in this but I think Arno Botha is a cracking player, started like a freight train for us but a dip in form end of last season. Has been in good form this year

He's definitely better than bang average or whatever was being said about him. You don't pick up a couple of caps for the Boks and especially in the back row without being at least fairly decent.

• Advertisement

leakyboots wrote: »

Is Botha the lad who was going around trying to start a fight with his shadow in the rds last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

If Burns continues on this trajectory do you think he'll start getting involved in Ireland camps at least? Growing with every game! Same could be said for Mccloskey and Marshall.

Cooney should be starting let alone just making the squad but i guess it depends on the style Farrell wants to take.

Shame Coetzee isn't IQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

McCloskey was terrible against Clermont. Nothing stuck to him. He has a lot of upside, but I'm guessing that his display last night is one of the reasons Schmidt never really picked him.

WRT Marshall, he has the same problem every other 13 has. Ringrose is just better. They'll both make the Ireland training camps, but I can't see either getting into the 23. I

I dunno about Cooney. I feel like last season his goal kicking masked a few poor performances. Just like his try last night made up for him butchering a certain score earlier in the game. He'll be in the camp, but again I'm not sure he makes the 23.

Scythica wrote: »
    If Burns continues on this trajectory do you think he'll start getting involved in Ireland camps at least? Growing with every game! Same could be said for Mccloskey and Marshall.

Cooney should be starting let alone just making the squad but i guess it depends on the style Farrell wants to take.

Shame Coetzee isn't IQ!

Burns done well

McCloskey struggles when he can’t barge over his opposite number....

Cooney, sorry I don’t see it, I think Blade etc is ahead of him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Scythica wrote: »

Shame Coetzee isn't IQ!

I don’t know how you could say Cooney should be starting based on last nights game.

His try was fantastic, but he butchered a score earlier in the game and his control of the game was absolutely terrible.

I really wish people could look at the full picture instead of just one moment. Cooney was lucky that Clermont were so bad and kept giving possession back to Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don’t know how you could say Cooney should be starting based on last nights game.

His try was fantastic, but he butchered a score earlier in the game and his control of the game was absolutely terrible.

I really wish people could look at the full picture instead of just one moment. Cooney was lucky that Clermont were so bad and kept giving possession back to Ulster.

I agree you have to look beyond one moment of brilliance to dissect a players overall performance, particularly a half back, but I thought Cooney's box kicking was top class last night. He did mess up some touch finders, but he probably wouldn't be doing that if he was playing for Ireland. I thought he played well.

McCloskey didn't have a great night, which was unfortunate given Andy Farrell was in attendance.

As far as Ireland are concerned the one player who will have impressed is Marty Moore, he put in a serious shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What? Can you elaborate on that a bit, what was so terrible about it? Any examples?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cooney wasnt getting it on a plate at all last night. Clermont were spoiling as much as possible.

I was impressed with him last night.
    He was directing his forwards very well through the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Blade going well for Connacht here too. Murray really needs to be not untouchable. There are a few good SHs around the provinces now who should get a chance.

Ah will you stop...he’s been excellent in both games so far. You’d swear Murray had a brilliant year:rolleyes:

Some really strange stuff from people who have gotten things wrong all year.

Butchered a try but won the game...ffs he was excellent in bath

Seriously you’d think we just had the best wc ever. People applying completely different standards to the lads who didn’t just **** up a wc. It’s infuriating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Based on current form, Blade and Cooney are a level above anything we have seen from Murray, McGrath and Marmion.

If 6N was next weekend, Cooney and Blade should be in the 23 esp if it was bs Italy and Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Based on current form, Blade and Cooney are a level above anything we have seen from Murray, McGrath and Marmion.

If 6N was next weekend, Cooney and Blade should be in the 23 esp if it was bs Italy and Scotland

If you’ve watched marmoin this season you’d know he’s in fine form himself. Just injured

Not sure what games you are watching......

I would drop Cooney out of squad and bring in Blade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Double page Q&A with Joe in the ITimes.

I thought it was an excellent piece.
    The whole range is in there.

More personal stuff than I thought.

WC bits - never going to throw his players under the bus. Although “we were trying to get Conor Murray back up to speed because I don’t think anybody would doubt his ability. So you are trying to get him back into rhythm.”

His take on the player base and schools

Double page Q&A with Joe in the ITimes.

I thought it was an excellent piece.
    The whole range is in there.

More personal stuff than I thought.

WC bits - never going to throw his players under the bus. Although “we were trying to get Conor Murray back up to speed because I don’t think anybody would doubt his ability. So you are trying to get him back into rhythm.”

His take on the player base and schools

From what I saw this evening Murray still isn't in 'rhythm' and it's not just his decision making and accuracy. He seems to have a physical limitation on his passing and his strength in contact. I think he's playing with some kind of impediment and whilst I've no doubt medics aren't putting his health in jeopardy, whatever is ongoing with him has reduced him as a player. I hope it's temporary.

That aside - Joe was always ruthless about selection in his early years was notable for picking less experienced players who were fully fit over A-lister's who were carrying a knock.

He seemed to lose that mindset in his latter years with Ireland and it cost him.

From what I saw this evening Murray still isn't in 'rhythm' and it's not just his decision making and accuracy. He seems to have a physical limitation on his passing and his strength in contact. I think he's playing with some kind of impediment and whilst I've no doubt medics aren't putting his health in jeopardy, whatever is ongoing with him has reduced him as a player. I hope it's temporary.

That aside - Joe was always ruthless about selection in his early years was notable for picking less experienced players who were fully fit over A-lister's who were carrying a knock.

He seemed to lose that mindset in his latter years with Ireland and it cost him.

Or the alternatives where not good enough so his only option was to try and get Murray up to speed at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm hoping form will be rewarded. But like any position, it's not enough to be as good as the player who's spot you're trying to take, you need to be measurably better.

I still think Marmion and Toner were hard done by.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm hoping form will be rewarded. But like any position, it's not enough to be as good as the player who's spot you're trying to take, you need to be measurably better.

I still think Marmion and Toner were hard done by.

giving the incumbent a kick in the ass can be a valuable result too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

"rhythm" is definitely coded language playing below standard
    u mentioned his pass in the Racing thread -"left side pass". do you mean as he passes from left to right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

I thought Munster game changed when Murray went off speed of ball changed the defence couldn't set as quick with wicker ball from SH .Maybe Murray's time has come and gone unfortunately .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement