Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

stl.ire wrote: »
    Don’t be silly. If he ever gets a start the trolls will be out. “English reject gets picked by English coach” writes itself.

Burns isn’t Sexton but comparing him to Frawley is nonsensical.

Mmmm...yes probably a bit silly to use Frawley as an example but still..
    I actually really like Frawley.

Yes if Burns did get picked that is what the trolls would say. And they would also have a point!
    Because he’s not good enough and there are 4 or 5 other viable options ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

bilston wrote: »
    Starting a new WC cycle doesn't mean a lot. We are two months out from the 6Ns...rightly or wrongly that's how the IRFU and Andy Farrell are probably looking at it.

Oh absolutely. I was pointing out that no one (bar maybe James Ryan) is locked in for the next 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think there should be much furore over Burns to be honest lads if he does get picked, nobody's even remotely mentioned anything about Addison since he came on the scene, same goes for Mike Haley when he was called up or going further back with Marmion. He's IQ through Irish family, it's never been an issue before so not sure why it would be now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

"Picking on form this season" is basically picking on two games. Let's see where we stand after another couple of euro and interpro games.

As for Burns, being English didn't count against Addison when it comes to fans wanting him included. I think the more important reason is that Burns was very, very ordinary last season. If we're seeing the real Burns now, then great, but I'd rather see a bit more evidence first.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

I don't think there should be much furore over Burns to be honest lads if he does get picked, nobody's even remotely mentioned anything about Addison since he came on the scene, same goes for Mike Haley when he was called up or going further back with Marmion. He's IQ through Irish family, it's never been an issue before so not sure why it would be now....

I don’t think he will get picked but the discussion was initiated by the fact he’s a 10. It’s the most clickbaitable of positions so if it ever happened it’s hard not to see bad faith journos bringing it up somehow.

It has happened before - Bent was IQ at birth and got put through the ringer in the pre-project player era (albeit his selection was a bit ridiculous).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stl.ire wrote: »
    I don’t think he will get picked but the discussion was initiated by the fact he’s a 10. It’s the most clickbaitable of positions so if it ever happened it’s hard not to see bad faith journos bringing it up somehow.

It has happened before - Bent was IQ at birth and got put through the ringer in the pre-project player era (albeit his selection was a bit ridiculous).

Bent was a different scenario in fairness though considering he was parachuted straight into the Ireland squad without making an appearance for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Mathewson for all the love in with Munster, didn't have a club prior to Munster move. Has never had an approach while at Munster and is leaving without any club interested in him.....that alone should give you a hint

Also, someone coming on with 10 mins left, a tired defense and they have 10 mins to burn off all energy, no need to conserve....hardly a good reference point is it?

Alby came on with 20 to go didn't he? And I'm not talking about where he was previously, I'm talking about his form at Munster. During his time at Munster he has been better than Murray.

Now forget about the form comparison between Murray and Mathewson for a minute. Based on his form in 2019, do you think Murray should be in the Irish squad? Also do you think he should be starting for Munster? I don't. On this year's form, I think there are 6 or 7 halfbacks in Ireland playing better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bent was a different scenario in fairness though considering he was parachuted straight into the Ireland squad without making an appearance for Leinster.

Bent was a very strange one, he went straight to carton house from the airport, played okay to be fair but never really earned his jersey. He then became the object of a lot of undeserved flack but has been actually a great import for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Alby came on with 20 to go didn't he? And I'm not talking about where he was previously, I'm talking about his form at Munster. During his time at Munster he has been better than Murray.

Now forget about the form comparison between Murray and Mathewson for a minute. Based on his form in 2019, do you think Murray should be in the Irish squad? Also do you think he should be starting for Munster? I don't. On this year's form, I think there are 6 or 7 halfbacks in Ireland playing better than him.

I think Murray should be given 12 months off. I thought that after his operation and give him off till preseason. It didn't happen then and it won't happen now

Who should start for Munster? well if Murray is struggling then McCarthy or Casey should be starting.....

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/heres-new-ireland-boss-andy-farrells-form-xv-after-two-rounds-of-champions-cup?fbclid=IwAR0Lq0izNGvolewJZHOQAL_1qv4KIUNOszytdEAenN-HXhuub8TM_Gtdy5I

A good view of players in form. I don't agree with the 13, it's been pointed out a few times the Ringrose flying out of the line is a tactic, yes he misses a tackle. Also marking down for getting in the way? not sure what he could do....

Scrum half, personally I would go Blade

It is interesting to see Moore listed, I really think he could be a potential for Ireland.....class player and really playing great for Ulster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/heres-new-ireland-boss-andy-farrells-form-xv-after-two-rounds-of-champions-cup?fbclid=IwAR0Lq0izNGvolewJZHOQAL_1qv4KIUNOszytdEAenN-HXhuub8TM_Gtdy5I

A good view of players in form. I don't agree with the 13, it's been pointed out a few times the Ringrose flying out of the line is a tactic, yes he misses a tackle. Also marking down for getting in the way? not sure what he could do....

It is interesting to see Moore listed, I really think he could be a potential for Ireland.....class player and really playing great for Ulster

Moore’s main issue is two great players in front of him for the 3 jersey. We’ve never had real depth at 3 before and we’d have killed for what we have now in years past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

McCloskey? They picked McCloskey at 12? :eek:

prawnsambo wrote: »
    McCloskey? They picked McCloskey at 12? :eek:

He is the only one to start two games and win two games....

He is the only one to start two games and win two games....
    Oh well that makes sense then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ah that whole thing is a load of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rugbypass are ragebait. I wouldn't take it seriously.

Rugbypass are ragebait. I wouldn't take it seriously.
    I don't normally and stopped reading after the McCloskey recommendation. And it was on very shaky ground before that one. Pure nonsense.

15. Haley
    14. Conway
    13. Ringrose(they said draw)
    12. McCloskey
    11. Earls
    10.Sexton
    9. Cooney
    1. Healy
    2. Kelleher
    3. Moore
    4. Dillane
    5. Ryan
    6. POM
    7. VDF
    8. Standar

That was the team. Now I know rugbypass is click bait but it ain't far wrong based on the Heniken Cup so far. They even mentioned D kearney :-)

So what alternatives would people have after the two rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

15. Haley
    14. Conway
    13. Ringrose(they said draw)
    12. McCloskey
    11. Earls
    10.Sexton
    9. Cooney
    1. Healy
    2. Kelleher
    3. Moore
    4. Dillane
    5. Ryan
    6. POM
    7. VDF
    8. Standar

That was the team. Now I know rugbypass is click bait but it ain't far wrong based on the Heniken Cup so far. They even mentioned D kearney :-)

So what alternatives would people have after the two rounds?

I think most people would be of the opinion its completely pointless to a) create any kind of combined "best" team and b) create a combined team based off two games

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I think most people would be of the opinion its completely pointless to a) create any kind of combined "best" team and b) create a combined team based off two games

a) is that not what the Ireland team is??? :confused::confused::confused:
    b) we are an awful grumpy bunch arn't we? what you want another 10 pages of discussing what went wrong at the WC????

It's a bit of fun.....

Back to moaning about the WC I suppose

• Advertisement

Ah that whole thing is a load of nonsense

What's the starting team for Scotland on Feb 1 2020 do you reckon?

Solely based on the last few weekends :
    • Healy
    • Kelleher
    • Furlong
    • Henderson
    • Ryan
    • Beirne
    • VDF
    • Ruddock
    • McGrath
    • Sexton
    • Larmour
    • Aki
    • Ringrose
    • Stockdale
    • Haley

This is just based on a few pro14 games and the two rounds in Europe.

Could put Stander in at 6 if you want a bit more carrying in the tight. O'Mahony needs to be jettisoned until he finds his form. I'd probably leave Larmour at FB and bring Conway onto the wing as I think Larmour has the best boot bar Kearney and Leader out of any of the options at 15.

Kelleher gets in purely to annoy the Turnips, Porter is starting to push Furlong imo.

Be interesting to see how Farrell has us setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What's the starting team for Scotland on Feb 1 2020 do you reckon?

Solely based on the last few weekends :
    • Healy
    • Kelleher
    • Furlong
    • Henderson
    • Beirne
    • VDF
    • Ruddock
    • McGrath
    • Sexton
    • Larmour
    • Aki
    • Ringrose
    • Stockdale
    • Haley

This is just based on a few pro14 games and the two rounds in Europe.

Could put Stander in at 6 if you want a bit more carrying in the tight. O'Mahony needs to be jettisoned until he finds his form. I'd probably leave Larmour at FB and bring Conway onto the wing as I think Larmour has the best boot bar Kearney and Leader out of any of the options at 15.

Kelleher gets in purely to annoy the Turnips, Porter is starting to push Furlong imo.

Be interesting to see how Farrell has us setup.

14 only? Guess you omitted Ryan.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

P.Walnuts wrote: »

If only there was some form of rugby where the combined best team from Ireland played the combined best team from other nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

If only there was some form of rugby where the combined best team from Ireland played the combined best team from other nations.

Based off of two games?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    14 only? Guess you omitted Ryan.?

Nah, no real need to put him in the teamsheets anymore. Everyone knows he starts.

Also fixed.

My own team

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    VDF
    Stander
    Blade