Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The AI are cancelled already are they not?

No Not that's I've seen. But any lingering chances of them happening I think are done. Trying to gauge the situation in SA now. To see what it might mean for the Pro14

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There was zero chance of NZ/Australia travelling here during November for rugby matches, in fairness. There was simply no hope of them allowing 50-60 guys travel to Europe, tour around, play close contact sports and come back into the country afterwards. Their borders are shut down and there wasn't going to be an exemption for rugby. The only chance was for matches between the two countries and that might be shelved now due to recent cases in Australia.

South Africa is still on an upward trend for their daily case figures so I don't see them leaving their country any time soon. There are still significant restrictions on movement and daily activities within the country and they don't appear to be progressing to the next level any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    No Not that's I've seen. But any lingering chances of them happening I think are done. Trying to gauge the situation in SA now. To see what it might mean for the Pro14

SA are the only ones who havent started Super Rugby.....

Buer wrote: »
    There was zero chance of NZ/Australia travelling here during November for rugby matches, in fairness. There was simply no hope of them allowing 50-60 guys travel to Europe, tour around, play close contact sports and come back into the country afterwards. Their borders are shut down and there wasn't going to be an exemption for rugby. The only chance was for matches between the two countries and that might be shelved now due to recent cases in Australia.

South Africa is still on an upward trend for their daily case figures so I don't see them leaving their country any time soon. There are still significant restrictions on movement and daily activities within the country and they don't appear to be progressing to the next level any time soon.

Until games are officially cancelled there is always a chance however small. Situation could improve in a very short space of time etc. But that's now gone.

SA are the only ones who havent started Super Rugby.....

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1280055885251960832?s=19

France v Ireland 2014 Six nations was some game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I'm always uncertain, does 7's foreign selection prevents a player to be capped with Ireland on residency rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,688 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like remaining 6 Nations fixtures out next week.

Ireland v Italy, Saturday 24th October

France v Ireland, Saturday 31st October

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/trick-or-treat-ireland-set-for-halloween-showdown-with-france-in-paris-1.4300439

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

connachta wrote: »
    I'm always uncertain, does 7's foreign selection prevents a player to be capped with Ireland on residency rules?

Yup, if they were over the age of 20 playing another national 7s team, or over the age of 18 at an Olympics or World Cup they're tied to that nation for 15s too.

Yup, if they were over the age of 20 playing another national 7s team, or over the age of 18 at an Olympics or World Cup they're tied to that nation for 15s too.

Was afraid of this. ****...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Was afraid of this. ****...

Who were you hoping to poach?

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Who were you hoping to poach?

The new Connacht Ben O'Donnell will be 31 and would have qualified for RWC 2027.
    If the transition from being a 7's star to a good winger works for him (he's 1m88, 92kg, so he's not too small),
    then the perspective to play international rugby in green from 2025 to the RWC would have been a point to stay in Ireland/Connacht long-term...

The new Connacht Ben O'Donnell will be 31 and would have qualified for RWC 2027.
    If the transition from being a 7's star to a good winger works for him (he's 1m88, 92kg, so he's not too small),
    then the perspective to play international rugby in green from 2025 to the RWC would have been a point to stay in Ireland/Connacht long-term...

If he is playing well enough to be even considered for Ireland I would expect Aus to be all over him, not like they have a huge array of options

If he is playing well enough to be even considered for Ireland I would expect Aus to be all over him, not like they have a huge array of options

Yeah but if he could, he may have chosen Ireland (if he developed slowly to 2025)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah but if he could, he may have chosen Ireland (if he developed slowly to 2025)

We’d have to be quite stuck for a winger to pick a thirty something for their first cap.

salmocab wrote: »
    We’d have to be quite stuck for a winger to pick a thirty something for their first cap.

29. 2 years to prepare RWC, playing it at 31. Doesn't look insane when you played Payne in the same situation for example.

But never mind because of that rule it can't happen, he is (like Godwin) probably back in Australia in 2 years:(

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Connachta how a Connacht supporter keeps such positivity I'll never know. I've already made peace with the fact O'Donnell is going to be a crock so anything he does will be a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Connachta how a Connacht supporter keeps such positivity I'll never know. I've already made peace with the fact O'Donnell is going to be a crock so anything he does will be a bonus

Nah, O'Donnell is coming with the same (actually, probably slightly bigger) profile as Porch, who turned out to be an excellent signing. It makes sense that Friend is going for international Aussie 7s players, he's very familiar with them. And back 3 is the easiest position for them to transfer to 15s. Conroy and Adam Leavy had plenty of chances to prove themselves in the academy over the years and failed to impress so it's not like they haven't been given a shot.

Papali'i is a complete punt based on our needs and his physical attributes, but we've essentially already seen the O'Donnell experience work well.

Anyway one of these players will never play for Ireland and the chances of the other doing it are basically 0 so probably not the best place to discuss it in this thread.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Nah, O'Donnell is coming with the same (actually, probably slightly bigger) profile as Porch, who turned out to be an excellent signing. It makes sense that Friend is going for international Aussie 7s players, he's very familiar with them. And back 3 is the easiest position for them to transfer to 15s. Conroy and Adam Leavy had plenty of chances to prove themselves in the academy over the years and failed to impress so it's not like they haven't been given a shot.

Papali'i is a complete punt based on our needs and his physical attributes, but we've essentially already seen the O'Donnell experience work well.

Anyway one of these players will never play for Ireland and the chances of the other doing it are basically 0 so probably not the best place to discuss it in this thread.

I was verifying 7's Aussie selection was a no-go. It is. Full stop.
    O'Donnell will be great, Papali'i will be good. I don't get the overwhelming pessimism about both
    Yeah they may need a few months to fit in, but nothing when you look them play to be so scornful as some are.. Yes they are gambles. But reasonable ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Is Leavy back? It would be quite a back row with Tadhg Beirne 6, CJ 8 and Leavy 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Is Leavy back? It would be quite a back row with Tadhg Beirne 6, CJ 8 and Leavy 7.

yes, should be available for the first games

• Advertisement

I know your trolling so will leave you to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I know your trolling so will leave you to it

Hardly trolling. Leavy and Stander are the best available in their positions provided Leavy rehabbed successfully and blindside is far from nailed down atm. If Beirne can find some form he has just as good a chance at lining out at 6 as any of the other contenders.

Hardly trolling. Leavy and Stander are the best available in their positions provided Leavy rehabbed successfully and blindside is far from nailed down atm. If Beirne can find some form he has just as good a chance at lining out at 6 as any of the other contenders.

I'm not sure you can justifiably say that about Beirne. He's been on the wrong end of a few big selection calls and I don't think he's ever been clearly first choice.

I'm not saying he couldn't take the jersey for his own, but the coaches haven't seemed to think so as of yet so any talk of him being the starting 6 is more hopeful than anything else.

I also think Leavy has his work cut out getting the jersey off VDF.

I'm not sure you can justifiably say that about Beirne. He's been on the wrong end of a few big selection calls and I don't think he's ever been clearly first choice.

I'm not saying he couldn't take the jersey for his own, but the coaches haven't seemed to think so as of yet so any talk of him being the starting 6 is more hopeful than anything else.

I also think Leavy has his work cut out getting the jersey off VDF.

Dropping Leavy into an International match now would be the wrong move, especially with the form of VDF. He should be slowly integrated back into Leinster and then if in form back into Ireland

Too many times players have got rushed back and only end up getting another injury and we are back into the same cycle. We have loads of options in back row. With Conan, Deegan, Doris, POM, Stander, VDF etc.

I hope at this stage they have figured out after another battering in England the backrow of POM, VDF, Stander is not good enough against the top teams,.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We need at least 2 carriers in our back row. For me as it stands our best option is CJ, VDF & Conan/Doris. If Leavy can get back to form then he enters the conversation, but that remains to be seen. Beirne is nowhere near a starting berth in the back row. Too many others offer more than him. Has he even nailed down a starting place for Munster? From recollection he's been moved between second row and back row a bit, starting and benching?

molloyjh wrote: »
    We need at least 2 carriers in our back row. For me as it stands our best option is CJ, VDF & Conan/Doris. If Leavy can get back to form then he enters the conversation, but that remains to be seen. Beirne is nowhere near a starting berth in the back row. Too many others offer more than him. Has he even nailed down a starting place for Munster? From recollection he's been moved between second row and back row a bit, starting and benching?

It's an interesting point going into next season now that I think about it.

I imagine Munster's starting second row will be Klyne and Snyman.

Do you start Beirne at 7? Move POM to 7?

I don't think JOD is a 7 and would rather see him play blindside but it's a tough back 5 to break into regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The six shirt is there for Beirne to claim. He's great as a lineout option. Great on the ground and carries better than PoM. He might not have the ballast for the second row, but as a six he's a great option.

I was hoping Beirne would be our own David Pocock type player if he translated his form from Scarlets to the international game. Didn't really happen at all.

• Advertisement

It's an interesting point going into next season now that I think about it.

I imagine Munster's starting second row will be Klyne and Snyman.

Do you start Beirne at 7? Move POM to 7?

I don't think JOD is a 7 and would rather see him play blindside but it's a tough back 5 to break into regardless.

I expect POM to 7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement