Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Interesting selections - lots I'd agree with.

From an Ulster perspective, wouldn't have Timoney in the Ireland team and would have Rea Jr ahead of McCann on the Ulster bench. You've also forgotten about Michael Lowry, who'd be at FB for Ulster or possibly back-up out-half.

If you want 23s with the Most Potential, that's one thing. But while Ciaran Frawley could well turn out better in the long term than Billy Burns, he is currently not better than either Burns or Hanrahan. Burns was in the Six Nations squad.

I was basing it more on the quality Frawley has shown rather than just potential. He strikes me as the kind of player who can translate effectively up through the levels. The guy with the most potential is probably Byrne. But, yeah, fair enough, Burns is the most established right now, and I was going for best 'right now', so Burns should probably be in there.

I didn't exactly forget Lowry. If you've got a #23 who covers the back three I thought having a outhalf/centre rather than an outhalf/fullback on the bench was a better fit. I liked what little I've seen of Curtis at 10. I thought he was quite creative. Would Lowry get in at fullback ahead of Ludik? I haven't been following selection closely enough.

aloooof wrote: »
    Keynan Knox for TH qualifies (or does so soon, I think) who would fill your missing Munster spot.

For consistency and simplicity I just left out anyone who isn't currently qualified (Butler is July, apparently). Knox seems to be December, while Salanoa will become eligible in September from what I can make out.

Dunney848 wrote: »
    That’s a simplistic comparison. Van set flier is a lot quicker around the pitch and more likely to be able to defend whereas Connors only defends near in. Come up against any sort of decent team with good backs and Van Der Flier is the man you want plugging holes and breaking his ass to cover the 13-15 channels in defence.

Van Der Flier also gains more metres per carry and gets you over the gainline more often, up the park on the front foot and puts the opposition marching and defending backwards. It’s these tiny margins that win tight games and the regular punters don’t see. Connors gives you the same tackle count but who is the better defender to have???? I prefer the player with greater stamina and speed to defend beside me if I’m a back and the clock is in the 78th minute.

Yeah, a fast game where the opposition are playing expansively is where JvdF is most valuable. But I hardly think lack of speed (or stamina) is an issue for Connors. He's played 7s for Ireland.

Who is the better defender to have? That's an easy one. Connors. You talk about tight games and tiny margins. The game's all about getting go forward. Connors knocking people backwards stops a team's momentum and completely disrupts their rhythm.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would love to have seen prime Stringer in today's team. Him and ROG were unlucky that their weaknesses amplified the other's but that kind of quick service could be great to see with more threat in midfield.

More threat in midfield? Do you mean from Sexton as opposed to ROG? D'Arcy and O'Driscoll were far more threatening than the centres at the moment.

I think Stringer's pass is a bit overrated. The way the ball was at an angle made it sort of float in the air sometimes. What Stringer did well was pass off the deck rather than this stand up and wind up nonsense that plagued Murray in 2019. But in terms of the ball flying through the air I think Casey's pass is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I was basing it more on the quality Frawley has shown rather than just potential. He strikes me as the kind of player who can translate effectively up through the levels. The guy with the most potential is probably Byrne. But, yeah, fair enough, Burns is the most established right now, and I was going for best 'right now', so Burns should probably be in there.

I didn't exactly forget Lowry. If you've got a #23 who covers the back three I thought having a outhalf/centre rather than an outhalf/fullback on the bench was a better fit. I liked what little I've seen of Curtis at 10. I thought he was quite creative. Would Lowry get in at fullback ahead of Ludik? I haven't been following selection closely enough.

Good question about Lowry... I think he possibly would, but it's not guaranteed, true.

I thought Curtis was being edged towards being more of a Paddy Wallace type 12. I think he's started coming on at centre rather than ten.

Solid logic, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

near misses for us

The last 3 world cups enough said

Scotland in the last Croke park game in 2010, getting silverware there would of been nice even if it was just a triple crown

All Blacks in 2013

South Africa tour of 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like France v Ireland in 6N is rescheduled for 31st October alright. So Ireland Italy 24th. Thought 6N were due to have fixtures out last week but maybe they will be out in next few weeks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/bernard-laporte-confirms-october-31st-date-for-france-v-ireland-six-nations-clash-1.4310055

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like France v Ireland in 6N is rescheduled for 31st October alright. So Ireland Italy 24th. Thought 6N were due to have fixtures out last week but maybe they will be out in next few weeks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/bernard-laporte-confirms-october-31st-date-for-france-v-ireland-six-nations-clash-1.4310055

We could win this yet ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

gally74 wrote: »
    We could win this yet ....

How did we do in the other games...I'm struggling to remember....genuinely...I know the results, lost to England and beat Scotland and Wales, but other than getting pasted by England I can't remember the other games at all!!!

It seems like 10 years ago and it's fair to say a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    How did we do in the other games...I'm struggling to remember....genuinely...I know the results, lost to England and beat Scotland and Wales, but other than getting pasted by England I can't remember the other games at all!!!

It seems like 10 years ago and it's fair to say a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

Went reasonably well but looked like a team in the early stages of changing how we play. Green shoots probably the best way to phrase it.

We are still in the hunt. Just. You'd expect England to finish on 18 after a TBP win away to Italy in their final game. We'd need a TBP win at home to Italy and another away to France. So highly, highly unlikely. Its Englands to lose at this stage. France could win, but they'd need to beat us by more than England beat italy. Letting Italy back into the game in Round 2 basically cost them the tournament. After they opened up the tournament by beating England the previous week.

• Advertisement

At this stage it would be like a new competition. Be interesting to see if there are changes in player and team form in the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Those 2 games will be behind closed doors presumably.

At this stage it would be like a new competition. Be interesting to see if there are changes in player and team form in the break.

Well settled teams will find it easier. Those in the middle of changing things up will struggle. I dont think it will matter a damn really. England will win, which is exactly what would have happened had C19 not hit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

France are already allowing crowds of upto 5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

molloyjh wrote: »
    Went reasonably well but looked like a team in the early stages of changing how we play. Green shoots probably the best way to phrase it.

We are still in the hunt. Just. You'd expect England to finish on 18 after a TBP win away to Italy in their final game. We'd need a TBP win at home to Italy and another away to France. So highly, highly unlikely. Its Englands to lose at this stage. France could win, but they'd need to beat us by more than England beat italy. Letting Italy back into the game in Round 2 basically cost them the tournament. After they opened up the tournament by beating England the previous week.
    We wont need a tbp against France as we could still beat England on PD. They currently only have a 10 point advantage, so important we rack up a score against Italy. I actually think we have a very decent chance.

We wont need a tbp against France as we could still beat England on PD. They currently only have a 10 point advantage, so important we rack up a score against Italy. I actually think we have a very decent chance.

England also have yet to play Italy though. Admittedly away from home. But they will almost certainly run up a very big score there. Bear in mind they play Italy after we do so will have a target to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

France are already allowing crowds of upto 5000.

Yeah but this could easily and quickly change sadly.

I'm holding out hope that crowds can attend things but until my arse is in the seat and the whistle goes my default is that these wont be attended

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Probably not the France game, but not is there likely to be 80,000 in the stadium, playing France in Paris without a crowd, or at least a big crowd should work in our favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

bilston wrote: »

Scotland was awful game but never thought we would lose
    Wales was a bit better but Wales where s**t on the day and it covered over the issue With Ireland . Especially in back row with Falateau terrible.
    England we got hammered across the pitch. Back row was awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sexton said he was only captain for one seasons and players got a chance again for one season. That is why lack of massive change

Will the England game finally have given the management the kick up the bum to start the changes required? Or will we rock back into France with the same faces as v England and get our asses handed to us AGAIN

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

4 week 6 nations with two extra teams? Seems a bit of a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

no southern hemisphere sides coming up so if not this then what do the northern hemisphere sides do? Play nothing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suggests it won't be an actual second 6N, just a series of international matches.

Pool stage then a final according to rte so presumably 2 pools and the two winners face off in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Oh FFS

The scaldy red logo is the main flaw imo. Looks like there might be a black collar going by the promotional image, always thought a black trim would complement a green kit well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Oh FFS

Well, at least it isn't Adidas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement