Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well, at least it isn't Adidas.

Yep, wish Leinster would move back.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Well, at least it isn't Adidas.

I love the Adidas shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Darkie Hughes

Prefer Umbro myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yep, wish Leinster would move back.

I haven't bought any of it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

My club moved from Canterbury to Adidas last year and I have to say the adidas gear is sh*te. I still wear the old cant gear in training and only throw on the adidas kit for match day cause I have to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

O Neills kitting out brumbies this year. Hopefully the brand kicks off overseas so our competitors performances will be compromised by the inevitable chafed nips and give us a key tactical edge

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Perfect time to bring a lot of new guys into the squad for the farcical autumn games

Excited about James Lowes impact but international is a big step up from a pro 12 game vs The dragons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Perfect time to bring a lot of new guys into the squad for the farcical autumn games

Excited about James Lowes impact but international is a big step up from a pro 12 game vs The dragons etc
    what exact;)ly is farcical about the autumn games.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I would propose that any decent minded person ignore any reference to th autumn games as 'farcical' etc etc. Like with anything there'll be a queue of people waiting to put the boot in and criticise but I for one will be enjoying them and taking them seriously assuming they go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

just find it a bit of a mess because Autumn international tradition is all over the place but id watch an Irish team play against a fly of bees. How will the world cup 2023 seedings work now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I would imagine the World Cup three years away and the seedings for it are fairly near the bottom of World Rugby’s list of priorities for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Watching back the Ireland/England 6N game. My god! Ryan and Stander were incredible! I knew CJ had a vicious streak, but Ryan takes zero prisoners! I think we made some terrible mistakes in that game, but our main mistake was a lack of a pick and drive to narrow the defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

To be honest, Ryan was very fortunate not to be sanctioned on the day for his play. Unfortunately, he was p*ssing into the wind and largely alone in his efforts at trying to clear out the opposition which probably led to him going over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Buer wrote: »
    To be honest, Ryan was very fortunate not to be sanctioned on the day for his play. Unfortunately, he was p*ssing into the wind and largely alone in his efforts at trying to clear out the opposition which probably led to him going over the top.

Completely agree. He had a few no arms clear outs which he was lucky to escape a citing for. That said, I liked seeing that nasty edge in him. We’ve been comparatively powderpuff up front since 2018 for some reason when previous to that we were one of the best packs in the world for a few years. Missing abrasive backrows like SOB and Leavy obviously wouldn’t have helped. Hopefully with a better balanced back row we can right that.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Completely agree. He had a few no arms clear outs which he was lucky to escape a citing for. That said, I liked seeing that nasty edge in him. We’ve been comparatively powderpuff up front since 2018 for some reason when previous to that we were one of the best packs in the world for a few years. Missing abrasive backrows like SOB and Leavy obviously wouldn’t have helped. Hopefully with a better balanced back row we can right that.

The peoples' elbow he delivered to Itoje was definitely a citing issue. Wonder how it was never picked up? The physicality of that game was off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

The peoples' elbow he delivered to Itoje was definitely a citing issue. Wonder how it was never picked up? The physicality of that game was off the charts.

I remember himself and Toner clattering Curry. What minute did he hit Itoje?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ryan was definitely playing on the edge that day...in his defence he was carrying most of the rest of the pack on his back which must be frustrating. A sly dig on Itoje is understandable considering the way he gets on sometimes, but that is the kind of reaction he probably wants.

I remember himself and Toner clattering Curry. What minute did he hit Itoje?

https://youtu.be/cFOvl98oq2I?t=1655

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd consider that handbags and a bit of off the ball messing without a huge amount of impact. He had a couple of clear outs where he launched himself in like a missile with little attempt to bind and made contact very high on the opponent.

One thing that game showed up was Ireland's inability to adapt. The english rush defense was galloping up because every ruck resulted in Murray passing to 10/12.

France on the other hand sent runners each side of the ruck all day along with a pick and drive tactic. I think the more direct route is England's soft spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Buer wrote: »
    I'd consider that handbags and a bit of off the ball messing without a huge amount of impact. He had a couple of clear outs where he launched himself in like a missile with little attempt to bind and made contact very high on the opponent.

I thought at least one of his clear outs was a red card. But he got away with it. If it happens again, he might not be so lucky.

I thought at least one of his clear outs was a red card. But he got away with it. If it happens again, he might not be so lucky.

There are a few from England too.

Nothing in that. Itoje will do that all day long. He gets away with murder somehow. Let him know you’re not taking it and he’ll think twice next time. I remember in the Champions Cup Final he had Ryan’s jersey half off over his head at one stage and Ryan was just looking for help from the referee which wasn’t coming. I’m sure someone had a word and said if someone does that to you again, you sort it out yourself (within reason). At the end of the day they’re committing the foul play and you’re just trying to get away so you’ll get a little bit of leniency shown. No one including the ref likes sh1t housery.

Nothing in that. Itoje will do that all day long. He gets away with murder somehow. Let him know you’re not taking it and he’ll think twice next time. I remember in the Champions Cup Final he had Ryan’s jersey half off over his head at one stage and Ryan was just looking for help from the referee which wasn’t coming. I’m sure someone had a word and said if someone does that to you again, you sort it out yourself (within reason). At the end of the day they’re committing the foul play and you’re just trying to get away so you’ll get a little bit of leniency shown. No one including the ref likes sh1t housery.

Itoje is the player that actually makes me wish we still had Neil Best to call on. I doubt Maro would try to pin him down after a ruck more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Unfortunately SOB wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to that game. He doesn't have the incredible athleticism that made him one of the world's best players. Best example I can give is last years Champions Cup final against Saracens. Couldn't make a dent in their defence, nor was he able to stem the flow of their attack either.

Itoje is the player that actually makes me wish we still had Neil Best to call on. I doubt Maro would try to pin him down after a ruck more than once.

TBF is Maro was on your team he'd be your favorite player!

TBF is Maro was on your team he'd be your favorite player!

100%

Ireland had approx 79% in territory and 76% possession in the second half, maybe it was England taking their foot off, but who knows if it wasn't for those two fumbles. It was also an away game, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunney848

Watching back the Ireland/England 6N game. My god! Ryan and Stander were incredible! I knew CJ had a vicious streak, but Ryan takes zero prisoners! I think we made some terrible mistakes in that game, but our main mistake was a lack of a pick and drive to narrow the defense.

If we had a team full of Ryan’s we might have won that game. You have to match the English at their own game to beat them. Wales also nearly beat them in Twickenham by running them around and varying point of attack but they stood up to them also. If you let the Rnglish dictate terms of contact you will lose against them.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Unfortunately SOB wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to that game. He doesn't have the incredible athleticism that made him one of the world's best players. Best example I can give is last years Champions Cup final against Saracens. Couldn't make a dent in their defence, nor was he able to stem the flow of their attack either.

Completely agree, think we’ve really missed the physicality we had from 2011-2017 with SOB and 2018 with Leavy. Tough players. That said one player isn’t going to magically change everything but Stander needs some support in the back row.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement