Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I know Wally did - I thought both had? Maybe not.

Wallace started on the wing once. Leamy, as you point out in your other post, started at 12 once.

Which was only fractionally more weird than that time Kearney started at 12 for Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Which was only fractionally more weird than that time Kearney started at 12 for Leinster!

Which happened at Rodney Parade of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Drico is on the Late Late Show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Drico is on the Late Late Show

He's a wab. If he ain't on the pitch, give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Wab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Wab?

wears a beret

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Belfast slang. Thought everyone in the North said it, but was corrected by a Newry nyuck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Belfast slang. Thought everyone in the North said it, but was corrected by a Newry nyuck

Nyuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

salmocab wrote: »
    Nyuck?

A nyuck is a scrinch, but from Newry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A nyuck is a scrinch, but from Newry

Ah right

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

FWIW this is my 2000-2020 XXIII
    Healy
    Wood
    Furlong
    Ryan
    O'Connell (c)
    Ferris
    O'Brien
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Hickie
    D'Arcy
    O'Driscoll
    Bowe
    Kearney

Flannery
    McGrath
    Hayes
    Henderson
    Wallace
    Stringer
    O'Gara
    Earls

The bench is more about winning a test match than necessarily picking the next best Irish player over the last 20 years. Hence Flannery over Best and Henderson over O'Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Very strong selection. I'd rather Earls than Hickie based on consistency and I'm not sure there's much to be said for John Hayes as a bench option based on your criteria. As a genuine bench option, Porter is actually probably as good as we've had in the past 20 years.

I'd actually think of putting Horgan in for Hicke at 23. He really seems to have been wiped from a lot of memories in terms of how effective he was as well as being able to genuinely cover several positions.

I'd find it hard to debate anything else in that line up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's much to be said for John Hayes as a bench option based on your criteria. As a genuine bench option, Porter is actually probably as good as we've had in the past 20 years.

I know I know, and I did think about putting Porter in there...but then I had to consider Thomond's wellbeing.

The wing is competitive. Earls could easily start, maybe the fact he has switched between wing and centre (even FB on occasion) hasn't helped his cause in my eyes.

BTW, I listened to the pod with BOD and Wood yesterday and I thought it was pretty clear from the way that he kept countering Woodie's selection of ROG at 10 that BOD would have gone for Sexton if he really had to pick. However there is one thing I'd say, if it came to a last minute kick to win the game, I'd probably rather have ROG lining up to take it than Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Tommybojangles

bilston wrote: »
    I know I know, and I did think about putting Porter in there...but then I had to consider Thomond's wellbeing.

The wing is competitive. Earls could easily start, maybe the fact he has switched between wing and centre (even FB on occasion) hasn't helped his cause in my eyes.

BTW, I listened to the pod with BOD and Wood yesterday and I thought it was pretty clear from the way that he kept countering Woodie's selection of ROG at 10 that BOD would have gone for Sexton if he really had to pick. However there is one thing I'd say, if it came to a last minute kick to win the game, I'd probably rather have ROG lining up to take it than Sexton.

I was about to reply to the last sentence of your post but then I had a Vietnam style flashback to this forum around 2010/2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was about to reply to the last sentence of your post but then I had a Vietnam style flashback to this forum around 2010/2011.

Was it Sexton lining up a kick with the camera suddenly panning to ROG?

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So the money thing was in this weekends Irish Times, in an article by Gerry Thornley, that all is not well between the players and the IRFU. The players, via RPI, are seeking visibility into the usually highly-secretive finances of the IRFU in order to determine if the 20% paycuts being imposed are actually warranted, and that they are targeting the right areas for savings.

The RPI is not a union, so players cannot strike.

Are the other IRFU staff unionised?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

awec wrote: »
    So the money thing was in this weekends Irish Times, in an article by Gerry Thornley, that all is not well between the players and the IRFU. The players, via RPI, are seeking visibility into the usually highly-secretive finances of the IRFU in order to determine if the 20% paycuts being imposed are actually warranted, and that they are targeting the right areas for savings.

The RPI is not a union, so players cannot strike.

Are the other IRFU staff unionised?

I would think that there ought to be a system that indexes player wages as % of overall profit for the IRFU. Players in sports are always undervalued relative to their contribution to the game, I'll never hold with criticising a player for seeking to maximise their earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,074 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enter James Lowe

He could change us and hopefully get a run out in whatever November will be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Presumably if James lowe is too start on the wings would this push stockdale out of the 23 entirely or do we reckon he'll get a spot on the bench?

Presumably if James lowe is too start on the wings would this push stockdale out of the 23 entirely or do we reckon he'll get a spot on the bench?

Larmour seems fairly safe at fullback and I'm convinced Lowe is going to come straight in.

So it's Conway v Stockdale and whilst Conway was better last season I think Stockdale is the more likely to start given he's younger and bigger and has a strong try scoring record when he gets going.

Potential irish 23 by November:

1: healy
    2: Kelleher
    3: furlong
    4: ryan
    5: Henderson
    6: dorris
    7: van der flier
    8: stander
    9: Murray
    10: sexton
    11: lowe
    12: ringrose
    13: henshaw
    14: earls
    15: larmour

16: porter
    17: Cronin
    18: baird
    19: leavy/deegan
    20: Cooney
    21: carbery
    22: aki
    23: Addison

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

5: Henderso

you only have 2 front rows and 4 backs on the bench. No way will ringrose be 12 with henshaw at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

5: Henderson

I think that Baird is unlikely to be playing at tighthead!

Kevski wrote: »
    I think that Baird is unlikely to be playing at tighthead!

Didn't even realise i hadr forgotten to add in a full front row in my rush to add in all the squad played id like to see, scratch that team so lol. Still a wealth of talent too call on, exciting times ahead.

Conway won't be outside the 23 barring injury and Sean Cronin has no business in an Irish squad anymore

Conway won't be outside the 23 barring injury and Sean Cronin has no business in an Irish squad anymore

I think Cronin still has a role as an impact sub, i suppose you'd have Conway in ahead of Addison then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

definitely.... Conway is a total gem of a player...

• Advertisement

I think Cronin still has a role as an impact sub, i suppose you'd have Conway in ahead of Addison then?

I'd have Conway starting if he continues his form pre-Covid. Sean Cronin has just turned 34, has already been moved on from by Ireland and I don't see a reason to bring him back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement