Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hard to see any More six nations Games going ahead for a while.

Why? There's a full round of football (including a Wembley cup final) and Premiership fixtures on in England this weekend. A full round of Ligue 1 and Top fixtures on in France. There's even a full round of fixtures on in Serie A in Italy with half the games unrestricted. Tonight there were 15 matches around Europe in the Europa league.

That's hundreds of thousands of fans traveling and congregating in large groups in the counties due to hold the 6 nations matches. Things might change in the next week, but right now there's no sign of any disruption to sport and I'd be surprised if any game other than the Italy England game gets postponed.

Why? There's a full round of football (including a Wembley cup final) and Premiership fixtures on in England this weekend. A full round of Ligue 1 and Top fixtures on in France. There's even a full round of fixtures on in Serie A in Italy with half the games unrestricted. Tonight there were 15 matches around Europe in the Europa league.

That's hundreds of thousands of fans traveling and congregating in large groups in the counties due to hold the 6 nations matches. Things might change in the next week, but right now there's no sign of any disruption to sport and I'd be surprised if any game other than the Italy England game gets postponed.

I really wouldn't be following England's lead on anything at the moment, their government is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Probably because of the level of international travel involved. Maybe it will go ahead, but it will seem pretty silly only cancelling Ireland game when the other countries are affected also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is anyone sick of hearing ex pros talk about the fact there’s a ‘lack of dog’ in the team?

I have the answer

f26bc682b40b909b9642ffb29406164c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have the answer

f26bc682b40b909b9642ffb29406164c.jpg

What about the one, the only, from briisstoool.. MAD DOG MADIGAN

• Advertisement

I really wouldn't be following England's lead on anything at the moment, their government is a shambles.

Why did you ignore the fact that all sporting events in France are also unaffected? Or that the Serie A games in Italy are all going ahead, with only those in the North played behind closed doors? Or that there was a full round of Champions League and Europa League games mid week?

It's not just England who aren't cancelling sporting events. Unless the other countries get an Italy like outbreak, I don't see sporting events in those countries getting cancelled.

Probably because of the level of international travel involved. Maybe it will go ahead, but it will seem pretty silly only cancelling Ireland game when the other countries are affected also.

International like the Champions League and Europa League games that just went ahead over the last few days? Each with 3-4000 traveling fans?

If those countries don't have a large outbreak, they're not gong to cancel anything. Millions of people are already traveling between these countries every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am tired about hearing of kicking percentage, it's a useless stat. An attacking kick is a world away from a kick in desperation or even a touch finder. A good attacking kick has an overwhelming probability of retaining possession or getting it back in the next phase. Kicking when you are on top is often a very good idea.

Why did you ignore the fact that all sporting events in France are also unaffected? Or that the Serie A games in Italy are all going ahead, with only those in the North played behind closed doors? Or that there was a full round of Champions League and Europa League games mid week?

It's not just England who aren't cancelling sporting events. Unless the other countries get an Italy like outbreak, I don't see sporting events in those countries getting cancelled.

Seems like a mistake considering one person travelling to Northern Ireland from Italy just spread it to this island

I wasn't ignoring anything - just pointing out that the current UK government has zero interest or empathy for the general public bar when they need to con them out of votes.

As for France or anywhere else - it's really up to them. I accept the recommendation to postpone the game, I'm disappointed but any risk reduction is welcome and I suspect by the time we get to kick off time Saturday week the conversation may well have shifted pretty significantly from where we are now.

I'm of the opinion that this more likely to not be contained and the impact from here could be anything from mild destabilisation to fairly devastating consequences over the next 3 - 4 months. They're talking about closing all schools for two months in the UK now.

• Advertisement

International like the Champions League and Europa League games that just went ahead over the last few days? Each with 3-4000 traveling fans?

If those countries don't have a large outbreak, they're not gong to cancel anything. Millions of people are already traveling between these countries every day.

Simple. The life of a Rugby supporter is far more valuable than that of a Soccer supporter. Rugby fans have jobs and vote soccer fans don't and don't.

mod - banned.

A shambles it may be, but its one government more than we currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

And yet ours still managed to make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Simple. The life of a Rugby supporter is far more valuable than that of a Soccer supporter. Rugby fans have jobs and vote soccer fans don't and don't.

jaysus..

I wasn't ignoring anything - just pointing out that the current UK government has zero interest or empathy for the general public bar when they need to con them out of votes.

As for France or anywhere else - it's really up to them. I accept the recommendation to postpone the game, I'm disappointed but any risk reduction is welcome and I suspect by the time we get to kick off time Saturday week the conversation may well have shifted pretty significantly from where we are now.

I'm of the opinion that this more likely to not be contained and the impact from here could be anything from mild destabilisation to fairly devastating consequences over the next 3 - 4 months. They're talking about closing all schools for two months in the UK now.

I'm not disagreeing with cancelling the match. I'm pointing out to others who say that further games will definitely be called off that, at this moment in time, it's not very likely. Obviously things could change, but I fully expect the games in London and Edinburgh to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

We have a government.

I'm not disagreeing with cancelling the match. I'm pointing out to others who say that further games will definitely be called off that, at this moment in time, it's not very likely. Obviously things could change, but I fully expect the games in London and Edinburgh to go ahead.

I'm purely speculating at the moment but I'd put my money on none of the six nations games going ahead from here on. Everything points towards this thing spreading more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'm purely speculating at the moment but I'd put my money on none of the six nations games going ahead from here on. Everything points towards this thing spreading more.

Next weekend might go ahead but I certainly see a lot of things getting cancelled over the next few months. It won’t stop anything but might slow the spread a bit which can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No, it isn't. The previous govt stay in caretaker posts until a new govt is formed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Any thoughts on bolters for the summer tour? I think Baird is going to go after being included in the squad initially for 6N and his performance yday, he is too good and has too much potential not to go. Toner to lose out.

I really rate Sean French from the 20s last year and Munster if he could get a tilt at Munster squads for the rest of season after he comes back from injury, he could be a bolter.

Also think Harry Byrne and Craig Casey are in with big shouts to go.

If we dont promote these lads now, we are pissing in the wind with regard to progression of players. A number of the senior players should be left behind to focus on a rest and preseason with their provinces.

If France, Wales and England all can promote players following U20 seasons, why cant we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Squad is crying out for fresh blood and impetus at halfback, second row, loose head and wing.

For all the joking - Baird is the outstanding candidate to break through.
    Casey too.
    Carbery/Sexton replacement? Byrne snr starts I hope. Don’t know anything about French. Unlikely he’d travel?
    Baloucoune should get a start at Stockdales expense (for both their sakes)
    LH - don’t know of outstanding candidate. O’Sullivan? Would give Buckley a run. Move Porter back?
    Couple of good young TH prospects but too early for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Baird is the only one of those I would imagine with a sniff of a chance to travel given he was already involved in the squad in a development capacity.

French wasn't even first choice for the U20 team last season. He reminds me of Brendan Macken. I'm not even sure he's going to be a success at provincial level long term.

Casey should be involved at some point down the line if he proves himself at provincial level as should Byrne. Casey should be able to establish himself in the Munster 23 fairly quickly although his size may hold him back from getting selected for Ireland.

The two of them look extremely promising but they certainly haven't looked like guys that need to be fast tracked into test rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Buer wrote: »
    Baird is the only one of those I would imagine with a sniff of a chance to travel given he was already involved in the squad in a development capacity.

French wasn't even first choice for the U20 team last season. He reminds me of Brendan Macken. I'm not even sure he's going to be a success at provincial level long term.

Casey should be involved at some point down the line if he proves himself at provincial level as should Byrne. Casey should be able to establish himself in the Munster 23 fairly quickly although his size may hold him back from getting selected for Ireland.

The two of them look extremely promising but they certainly haven't looked like guys that need to be fast tracked into test rugby.

French is potentially the best back in the AIL. Everytime he came on for the Irish 20s or started he did something, he can also kick goals from 50 + metres which isnt relevant but still shows hes a footballer. He might not make this tour but I would back him to be in the Irish Squad sooner rather than later.

My point is, are we going to give all the hooker caps to Rob Herring, Niall Scannell, Cronin over the next 3 years, who we all know are not good enough. No, we give them to Kelleher, Dan Sheehan, Stewart, McKee, these good players coming through.

Casey and Harry Byrne need to be exposed to it now, it's not fast tracking them. They have shown they are capable, why waste another year waiting for them. Bring them on tour, there is so much to gain and nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

French is potentially the best back in the AIL.

Casey and Harry Byrne need to be exposed to it now, it's not fast tracking them. They have shown they are capable, why waste another year waiting for them. Bring them on tour, there is so much to gain and nothing to lose.

Being the best back in the AIL might get you into a Pro 14, it doesn’t and shouldn’t get you anywhere near an Irish Squad. The gulf in class is like suggesting picking a Schools player to start a European game for a province.

Casey and Harry Byrne have had limited exposure to dirt tracker Pro 14 games. They haven’t shown they are capeable at anything remotely resembling test level rugby yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I’d have no qualms about giving Casey his chance.
    Would hope to see at least 3 or 4 new caps on Australia tour.
    With Murray/Sexton traveling but only as replacements.

Larmour; Baloucoune, Ringrose, McCloskey, Conway; RByrne, Cooney; ?, Kelleher, Furlong (c); Baird, Ryan; CJ, VdF, Dorris.

Herring, ?, ?, Henderson, Connors, Casey/Murray, Carty?/Sexton, Addison?always injured/Henshaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

French is potentially the best back in the AIL. Everytime he came on for the Irish 20s or started he did something, he can also kick goals from 50 + metres which isnt relevant but still shows hes a footballer. He might not make this tour but I would back him to be in the Irish Squad sooner rather than later.

My point is, are we going to give all the hooker caps to Rob Herring, Niall Scannell, Cronin over the next 3 years, who we all know are not good enough. No, we give them to Kelleher, Dan Sheehan, Stewart, McKee, these good players coming through.

Except all the games.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shown their capable of what though? They've done decently against low to mid tier Pro14 teams. What evidence is there to support them being involved in the Irish 23?

Lads like Carbery and Ross Byrne are only 24. Billy Burns is 25. They've all shown far more than Harry Byrne at provincial level. I fully expect him to be an Irish international and collect a good few caps but he's nothing more than potential at this point. Get him involved in the squad in autumn, potentially. Bringing him to Australia would be a waste of a spot.

Casey has even less time for Munster despite having mediocrity in front of him earlier in the season. Again, I think he'll be a test player but he needs to develop. He's very, very small for pro rugby and would be eaten alive by a test level back row.

Baird is the one guy who has shown he has the ability and physical talent right now to stand out comfortably at Pro14 level and deserves involvement at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If Ntamack can be starting for France, then Bryne can absolutely be included in the squad. We need to find a top replacement for Sexton, and Carberry isn't it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If Ntamack can be starting for France, then Bryne can absolutely be included in the squad. We need to find a top replacement for Sexton, and Carberry isn't it imo.

Ntamack has two seasons in the starting team for Toulouse. Two years of top flight rugby including starting a European semi final. How can you even compare that to Harry Byrne? There is absolutely no comparison between the two players apart from the fact they both play 10. Shiny new toy mode to the nth degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ntamack has two seasons in the starting team for Toulouse. Two years of top flight rugby including starting a European semi final. How can you even compare that to Harry Byrne? There is absolutely no comparison between the two players apart from the fact they both play 10. Shiny new toy mode to the nth degree.

They're of a similar age, both seriously talented. The French have no problem backing talent, in Ireland it's seemingly blasphemous to suggest he could be involved in a squad. Ridiculous conservatism.

I'm not calling for Bryne to start in Paris, I'm saying he can be involved in the squad. Don't think many would argue that he looks to be the best 10 coming through talent wise, so why waste time with lesser options?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement