Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Fairly ominous sign that the games are getting PP. Cant see unions agreeing to behind closed doors games

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1234403621380464642?s=19

Is result of this due out this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is result of this due out this evening?

Remaining games to go ahead unless governments decide otherwise -

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/coronavirus-remaining-six-nations-games-still-on-but-organisers-say-governments-might-decide-otherwise-39006604.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kevski wrote: »

BA and Ryanair cancelling hundreds of flights from UK to USA/Europe

6n are basically leaving it to govts to decide. Presume Ireland game will likely be in an empty SDF if the half Marathon yesterday was canned?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Fairly passive statement. Guess they don't want the ones to decide to cancel but if France banning mass gatherings, would put question marks over Ireland France game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Seems like Rory Best’s book might be unusually frank. Extracts in Sunday Times yesterday, didn’t see but they were talking about it on off the ball Sunday paper review.

Best went to Schmidt after twickenham warm up and said he was micro managing squad far too much and needed to give them some freedom, his pre game talks were having no impact as they had heard it so much during week. Praised Schmidt too in fairness and said he was great coach

Also wrote that he was so angry at his own performance in twickenham Schmidt had to talk him into not leaving squad. Eventually agreed to bench in wales following weekend but had it in his mind that if he came on and was as poor again he wasn’t going to World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Fairly passive statement. Guess they don't want the ones to decide to cancel but if France banning mass gatherings, would put question marks over Ireland France game

At this moment in time there are no UK restrictions and no restrictions in Rome. Italian authorities have extended the ban on sporting events unless played behind closed doors in the North for another week, but have lifted it from Piedmont. The weekends behind closed doors Serie A games were cancelled for commercial reasons rather than health reasons.

Things can obviously change, but right now the only game in danger looks to be France v Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If the 6 nations cancel they might be opened to claims from travelling fans so better to push back onto the government then I guess the fans can claim from travel insuracne

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ClanofLams wrote: »

Also wrote that he was so angry at his own performance in twickenham Schmidt had to talk him into not leaving squad. Eventually agreed to bench in wales following weekend but had it in his mind that if he came on and was as poor again he wasn’t going to World Cup.

Surely there's something not being conveyed accurately there. If he was genuinely serious about quitting the squad before the tournament, he was absolutely not in any reasonable frame of mind at all. It would be massively disruptive and detrimental to squad morale. The rugby world's media would have completely descended on the Irish camp.

Buer wrote: »
    Surely there's something not being conveyed accurately there. If he was genuinely serious about quitting the squad before the tournament, he was absolutely not in any reasonable frame of mind at all. It would be massively disruptive and detrimental to squad morale. The rugby world's media would have completely descended on the Irish camp.

Why? The squad wasn’t picked at that stage

They could just not pick him for the squad, it would be a surprise but I doubt the world media would descend on the camp

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Was it not fairly well known back then that best wasn't in a good place? He offered the captaincy back didn't he? This isn't exactly coming as new news....

• Advertisement

Carbery our till preseason, so that means out of Australia tour

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cheers for that Ireland.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Carbery our till preseason, so that means out of Australia tour

Ferrari and Alpha Tauri F1 teams are concerned they may face quarantine when they land in Melbourne next week. If this Cov19 drags on into the summer that tour may be under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cheers for that Ireland.

You’d have found a way to break him anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

salmocab wrote: »

Buer did something. I just know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

salmocab wrote: »

You mean that 20 minute Munster cameo where he managed to damage his wrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s the sort of thing

They really ought to change their pre match rituals

24.png&key=df9bebe06bed83aaf21db38b0b65c729964f9ca220df345e0dc1df0a5c9870b5

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Carbery was quite injury prone at Leinster too. It's not any particular sides fault that he's injured again. That's just the way he is.

Carbery's bigger problem would be that Munster aren't the side that will help him develop his game to its potential. The coaching simply isn't up to snuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Clegg wrote: »
    Carbery was quite injury prone at Leinster too. It's not any particular sides fault that he's injured again. That's just the way he is.

Carbery's bigger problem would be that Munster aren't the side that will help him develop his game to its potential. The coaching simply isn't up to snuff.

Yeah, he'll learn nothing from Larkham.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

From what they said on off the ball, it just seemed like he was anxious, lacking confidence, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yeah, he'll learn nothing from Larkham.........

Munsters style of play simply doesn't get the best out of their backs. We've already seen this season that their passing game gets binned when they can't force dominance up front. I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Look at how Leinster play. Whoever the 10 is always has a number of options on what to do next. At Munster the option Carbery has become reliant on an inside ball to a forward that gets nailed dead on the gainline. Without a huge shift in how Munster play, the talented backs they have will be wasted

I did say it a while ago that Ireland will need to concentrate on bringing at least 1 if not 2 10's forward to replace Sexton. If Carbery gets fit then it is a bonus but go on the basis that he is not available. Unfortuneatly for Carbery his record is going against him. A number of times he has been injury during competitions

Question is who is that 10?

Do they go for R Byrne?

Or go for long term and bring in R Byrne, H Byrne and Healy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I did say it a while ago that Ireland will need to concentrate on bringing at least 1 if not 2 10's forward to replace Sexton. If Carbery gets fit then it is a bonus but go on the basis that he is not available. Unfortuneatly for Carbery his record is going against him. A number of times he has been injury during competitions

Question is who is that 10?

Do they go for R Byrne?

Or go for long term and bring in R Byrne, H Byrne and Healy?

Very early to be considering Healy. I would also put Harry in the same bracket but clearly the coaches are seeing something in him as he was involved in the camp already.

Currently we don't even know if Healy is even a capable Pro14 player - let alone a future international. He has less than 200 minutes of senior rugby.

For the next crop of 10s they could do worse than look at the likes of Conor Fitzgerald and Billy Burns with the latter already having spent a significant amount of time in camp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Munsters style of play simply doesn't get the best out of their backs. We've already seen this season that their passing game gets binned when they can't force dominance up front. I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Look at how Leinster play. Whoever the 10 is always has a number of options on what to do next.

It's a chicken and egg scenario; the Leinster 10 typically has a number of options because they can force dominance up front. But regardless we have seen a shift in style at Munster this season. That should be seen as a positive.
    At Munster the option Carbery has become reliant on an inside ball to a forward that gets nailed dead on the gainline. Without a huge shift in how Munster play, the talented backs they have will be wasted

Carbery has started exactly 1 game for Munster with Larkham as attack coach, so I don't understand how you're coming to this conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Carbery is a great talent but at this point, it's getting to a stage where he'll end up like a number of guys and never delivering on his potential. He's suffered a couple of ankle injuries now which have hindered him along with the wrist surgery and a broken arm. He'll be almost 25 when he comes back from this spell out. Any more injuries and it will surely impact on his ability to come back with the same ability as the player that burst onto the scene back in the day.

I don't know who is going to be the successor to Sexton. Ross Byrne probably is best placed right now simply as he's rarely injured and has gradually improved consistently. Maybe his brother will leap him at some point but he still has a long way to go. As steady as he looks, he still made some very basic errors last Friday such as a pass to nobody in his own half, a restart that went dead etc. Ben Healy is mentioned a bit but I don't really see it. He was behind Byrne at U20 level and Jake Flannery ended up jumping ahead of him also during the JWC.

I see very little mention of Bill Johnston who is a guy who looks like he could really make a step up to another level. He's just turned 23, is guaranteed to get a solid amount of game time and has a fairly well rounded game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Carbery is a great talent but at this point, it's getting to a stage where he'll end up like a number of guys and never delivering on his potential. He's suffered a couple of ankle injuries now which have hindered him along with the wrist surgery and a broken arm. He'll be almost 25 when he comes back from this spell out. Any more injuries and it will surely impact on his ability to come back with the same ability as the player that burst onto the scene back in the day.

I don't know who is going to be the successor to Sexton. Ross Byrne probably is best placed right now simply as he's rarely injured and has gradually improved consistently. Maybe his brother will leap him at some point but he still has a long way to go. As steady as he looks, he still made some very basic errors last Friday such as a pass to nobody in his own half, a restart that went dead etc. Ben Healy is mentioned a bit but I don't really see it. He was behind Byrne at U20 level and Jake Flannery ended up jumping ahead of him also during the JWC.

I see very little mention of Bill Johnston who is a guy who looks like he could really make a step up to another level. He's just turned 23, is guaranteed to get a solid amount of game time and has a fairly well rounded game.

Johnston has been alright at Ulster in his limited minutes, nothing spectacular. He could potentially kick on at some stage, but his main blocker is the fact Burns is only 2 years older than him and is a fair bit ahead in terms of experience and overall game play so far. I can't see Johnston overtaking him unless his game significantly improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Johnston doesn't really run square and hold defenders before passing. Think it's something he needs to work on. But maybe it's more of an instinctive thing and it's too late to change his habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carberry needs to be rested and healed. He's being destroyed playing at less than 100%. In the meantime Healy should rack up some minutes.
    Next year with Snyman , Munster should be a stronger pack. I think they'll be in the mix for silverware. There should be quite a lot of dominance with the pack.
    Hanrahan is playing better this season, imo. I reckon Larkham has something to do with that.
    The problem for Munster is getting minutes for every one and keeping them happy. I think Beirne loses out with Snyman arriving and Wycherly too!
    But next year, Carberry should be fit and firing. Then we'll see how good he is. Under Larkham's tutelage he should progress. That's if he can remain healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Carberry needs to be rested and healed. He's being destroyed playing at less than 100%. In the meantime Healy should rack up some minutes.
    Next year with Snyman , Munster should be a stronger pack. I think they'll be in the mix for silverware. There should be quite a lot of dominance with the pack.
    Hanrahan is playing better this season, imo. I reckon Larkham has something to do with that.
    The problem for Munster is getting minutes for every one and keeping them happy. I think Beirne loses out with Snyman arriving and Wycherly too!
    But next year, Carberry should be fit and firing. Then we'll see how good he is. Under Larkham's tutelage he should progress. That's if he can remain healthy.

Maybe a switch to fullback would keep him out of the heavy traffic a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement