Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Meanwhile in the land of WTAF, we have this:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,207 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahaha

when you seen the words "survey of US adults"... you can be guaranteed the result will show a laughable degree of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭VayNiice

They might not be able to leave Singapore.

Yeah I'm heading home soon and was due to be stopping in Singapore for just 2 or 3 days but decided to change my flight. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but don't want to be stuck there or quarantined when the time comes. Its my parents and relatives/friends that I'd be worried about rather than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well since we've had very little experience of dealing with epidemics of this nature and the WHO and the CDC do, I'd expect them to have both a better grasp of the risks/modelling and the best mitigants.

Is that the same US CDC that said last week it’s not going to bother developing a vaccine, as it’s not that serious?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is that the same US CDC that said last week it’s not going to bother developing a vaccine, as it’s not that serious?

Did that come from the CDC or the Trump administration?

• Advertisement

Did that come from the CDC or the Trump administration?

Well the head of the CDC would be a Trump appointee I’d imagine, so it’s hard to tell.

Though you’d imagine Trump would want more panic, another excuse for border control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Jucwntus fans are not confined to Turin. They have a huge following all over Italy
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be taking serious steps at this stage. Ireland could well be fortunate enough to avoid a serious outbreak this year (for geographic reasons) - if we can get to the spring time with only a few hundred cases. If a vaccination rolls out over the next 8 months (very optimistic) we could possibly sort ourselves out before next year's flu season.

This won't kill you. This might kill your grandparents.

It looks like there will possibly be no protective vaccine for this virus which imbues life long immunity. It seems to be similar to Common Cold in that regard. According to some reports from China and Japan, 15% of those who have recovered are now reinfected. That's not good.

jacothelad wrote: »
    It looks like there will possibly be no protective vaccine for this virus which imbues life long immunity. It seems to be similar to Common Cold in that regard. According to some reports from China and Japan, 15% of those who have recovered are now reinfected. That's not good.

Does that mean we don’t develop any anti-bodies? Or when we get re-infected our body will fight it off quicker. Bit scarey you can re-infected that quickly.

AdamD wrote: »
    As opposed to a full schedule of Serie A games followed by Serie A teams playing in the CL and EL across Europe (Juve played away to Lyon last night, not cancelled), and the teams playing against them playing full domestic schedules?

The people at these games are also free to fly all over Europe (including Ireland). It just seems odd that we've decided to draw the line (and seemingly the only thing we've done in Ireland?) at this one rugby game.

I'm not necessarily saying its right or wrong but you can see why the IRFU asked for clarification.

If the Italians - not known for their great political stability - can't make a decision that doesn't mean that they are right and Ireland should also adopt a laissez-fair attitude to importing or exporting a possible virulent infection into a vulnerable population which has no natural immunity to this virus. We like our old folks...of which I am one. Putting in available safeguards seems to be the actions of a responsible administration.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Seems to be particularly fatal to people of Asian extract... South Korea, Japan and Singapore have very high mortality rates

They have a higher proportion of octogenarians and nonogenarians. Might be that.

• Advertisement

Does that mean we don’t develop any anti-bodies? Or when we get re-infected our body will fight it off quicker. Bit scarey you can re-infected that quickly.

There would be some protection. We don't die from the common cold but get symptoms.

There would be some protection. We don't die from the common cold but get symptoms.

That’s true and I might be wrong about this (probably) but isn’t that because the common cold is not one pathogen but a constantly mutating strain. So every time we get it, it’s slightly different.

That’s true and I might be wrong about this (probably) but isn’t that because the common cold is not one pathogen but a constantly mutating strain. So every time we get it, it’s slightly different.

It's a novel virus. As it passes through people it's capable of mutating in certain ways. All life cycles present a means for new strains, no different to any evolution.

The strains that last however are generally less fatal and more contagious which is why SARS, Ebola, avian flu weren't able to spread. This is different, long incubation and highly infections and a mortality rate of 3.4% as of today.

They have a higher proportion of octogenarians and nonogenarians. Might be that.

i was reading the stats incorrectly

according to stats right now singapore doesnt have any deaths in 93 cases.

italy and iran actually have higher death rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The figures for Iran are highly suspect. The mortality to infection rate is nuts compared to other areas.

The figures for Iran are highly suspect. The mortality to infection rate is nuts compared to other areas.

maybe just confined to an extremely poor and susepticable region.
    Qom from images ive seen does not appear to be the most modern of cities

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They might not be able to leave Singapore.

Every cloud...

Without access to medicine and symptom control the mortality rate will be higher, certainly very high at the moment tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The Italy England game has been removed from the fixture list on rugby pass.

Japan has now closed all schools.

• Advertisement

Japan has now closed all schools.

Korea did that last week, well certainly in some areas. My daughter is in Busan and has been at home quarantined for the last 4 days. Seemingly someone there was in the hospital, got diagnosed and panicked, so ran out of the hospital, mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Seems to be particularly fatal to people of Asian extract... South Korea, Japan and Singapore have very high mortality rates

Fact check:
    South Korea: 13 (1766 Cases)
    Japan: 4 (207 Cases)
    Singapore: 0 (93 Cases)

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Fact check:
    South Korea: 13 (1766 Cases)
    Japan: 4 (207 Cases)
    Singapore: 0 (93 Cases)

fact check:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Is anyone sick of hearing ex pros talk about the fact there’s a ‘lack of dog’ in the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Is anyone sick of hearing ex pros talk about the fact there’s a ‘lack of dog’ in the team?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Confirmed case in NI. Think it's for the best there match isnt going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The person who has the virus in NI travelled from Italy to Dublin.

Everything's getting locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Came to the rugby forum hoping for rugby discussion and see that the coronavirus chat has spread from current affairs. Think I'll quarantine myself in You laugh you lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Hard to see any More six nations Games going ahead for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement