Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Eh? CJ was the only decent forward but Henderson was better than most. Took his lineouts, stole another cleanly, made his tackles well, and was one of the only forwards that weren't being minced in contact.

Henderson actually stole 2 lineouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sexton played very well for someone out for 7 weeks with injury. He was roughed up by a few borderline shots from the Scots but it didn't rattle him.

He'll be raring to go next week

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So Henderson played well and there was no hate thrown his way, mad stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Scored all the points for Ireland but kicked poorly :-)

Yes he is awful

No-one said that. Why are you being sarcastic about something literally no-one said?

Is it because it's easier to dismiss that imaginary claim than to discuss the fact that he missed points from the boot that he should have got and had a couple of penalty kicks that didn't find touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No-one said that. Why are you being sarcastic about something literally no-one said?

Is it because it's easier to dismiss that imaginary claim than to discuss the fact that he missed points from the boot that he should have got and had a couple of penalty kicks that didn't find touch?

Yep. Absolutely crazy stuff when people make imaginary claims as jokes to defend players they are caught up on

• Advertisement

So Henderson played well and there was no hate thrown his way, mad stuff altogether

See ShefWedFan's post. He wants to drop him. No hate, but I didn't realise everyone was as literal-minded as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Thats a poor Scotland side what is going wrong for year and a bit they should have beaten us easily our D was crazy good .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ringrose with a broken thumb, if he's out next week is Addison fit to play 13? Seeing glimpses of what Ringrose was doing today in attack, I'd say Addison would be his most capable replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ringrose with a broken thumb, if he's out next week is Addison fit to play 13? Seeing glimpses of what Ringrose was doing today in attack, I'd say Addison would be his most capable replacement.

During the week Farrell had said he was in and out of training with a niggle. I'd say we could see an Aki/Henshaw midfield to be honest and Addison into the 23 shirt. He hasn't really played centre at all this season because of the McCloskey/Marshall combo being fit for all the big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The scrum was and is a concern. The maul also. We were sloppy, lacked intensity and played like we just met this week.
    Sexton played for the 1st time in 2 months. He wasn't great but, but he did the job.
    The amount of penalties and give aways was insane. Completely played like individuals. Henderson was not poor. But he wasn't great neither was Ryan.
    The pick of the pack was Stander. He put in a shift!
    Next week the selection will be interesting. Cooney must start. Porter may also.
    With Ringrose out, I'd play Farrell if healthy. On a side note Herring was better than I expected. He should retain his place.
    Would Scannell packing down in the front row have solidified our scrum? Is the issue across the front row or is it an individual problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Realtalknow

Drunk D4 fans ruining the reputation of Irish fans as per usual in town tonight. Most arrogant and entitled people on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sorry , haven't a great understanding of Irish Rugby. But watch Irish games etc.

Could someone explain why the core of the team is effectively the failed Rugby World cup team.

Are the 4 years not used to reshape and restructure for the next World cup ?

Kind of crazy building around Sexton to start , Healy and then so many players who were terrible at the world cup or out of form.

You even had a massive reaction for Toner ? , he didn't even make world cup team and a few other guys with miles on the clock like O'mahony.

Can someone explain, the actual strategy with these older or out of form players still forming the core of the team ?

England basically completely reformed in last 4 year cycle and had a successful world cup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Drunk D4 fans ruining the reputation of Irish fans as per usual in town tonight. Most arrogant and entitled people on earth.

This probably isn't the forum for you so.

I'll save you further embarrassment, bye.

Sorry , haven't a great understanding of Irish Rugby. But watch Irish games etc.

Could someone explain why the core of the team is effectively the failed Rugby World cup team.

Are the 4 years not used to reshape and restructure for the next World cup ?

Kind of crazy building around Sexton to start , Healy and then so many players who were terrible at the world cup or out of form.

You even had a massive reaction for Toner ? , he didn't even make world cup team and a few other guys with miles on the clock like O'mahony.

Can someone explain, the actual strategy with these older or out of form players still forming the core of the team ?

England basically completely reformed in last 4 year cycle and had a successful world cup.

The theory of needing four years to rebuild was put on its head when Erasmus took over South Africa in 2017 and turned them into world champions. They were awful for years until he took over.

It's not as widely talked about but a similar thing happened with England. Eddie Jones took over in 2015 and had great success for a few years using basically Lancaster's side. They then had a miserable 2018 and many thought they'd peaked too early and would get nowhere in Japan. He rebuilt the team in a year and they got to the final.

It makes sense for Farrell to hang on to the tried and trusted for a while to help him find his feet in the job. Expect the rebuild to come however. There's too many players in the squad past their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Neil3030 wrote: »

The Henchman will deputise surely?

Standers metres made has been revised up to 72 now! Although POM's and VDF's haven't so we still really have the same problem with how the backrow operates.. At least Stander is hitting good form I suppose.

Clegg wrote: »
    The theory of needing four years to rebuild was put on its head when Erasmus took over South Africa in 2017 and turned them into world champions. They were awful for years until he took over.

It's not as widely talked about but a similar thing happened with England. Eddie Jones took over in 2015 and had great success for a few years using basically Lancaster's side. They then had a miserable 2018 and many thought they'd peaked too early and would get nowhere in Japan. He rebuilt the team in a year and they got to the final.

It makes sense for Farrell to hang on to the tried and trusted for a while to help him find his feet in the job. Expect the rebuild to come however. There's too many players in ten.squad last their best.

This, 100%. The team that started targeting the 2019 RWC from the day after being sent home from the 2015 one was... us. We shouldn't be thinking about 2023 just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just rewatched this match! On 2nd viewing, the scrum looks real poor. But, Henderson and Ryan were quite good. They gelled and put in huge physical shifts.
    On the other end of the spectrum, Ringrose and Aki were really beginning to click. They were finding space and really attacking very well.
    Besides a poor scrum and maul, we missed touch a couple of times, Sexton with one, Murray the other. Aki botched a restart! Ringrose and Larmour getting the wires crossed and knocking on.
    There's obviously work to be done, but it's a new set up and the Scots were really up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This, 100%. The team that started targeting the 2019 RWC from the day after being sent home from the 2015 one was... us. We shouldn't be thinking about 2023 just yet.

Says the fans that at both 2011 and 2015 would hear nothing but a 4 year plan....how great NZ was because of the 4 year plans and management succession etc

One loss to England and now ????

Imagine this idea, we just come up with our own plan? Not try to copy some other random team that had success...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The scrapping of the SA 30-cap eligibility rule was a pre-requisite for Erasmus to take over the job, which instantly helped (less relevant to the Irish setup tho.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Standers metres made has been revised up to 72 now! Although POM's and VDF's haven't so we still really have the same problem with how the backrow operates.. At least Stander is hitting good form I suppose.

27, not 72.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Put Cooney in at scrumhalf it would be great if Doris is back that team is struggling and start Kelleher would like to see Addison on too if fit we were lucky yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

27, not 72.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/report/sexton-lancia-lirlanda-oltre-la-scozia#match-stats

73 actually and that's according to the official 6 Nation's site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/report/sexton-lancia-lirlanda-oltre-la-scozia#match-stats

73 actually and that's according to the official 6 Nation's site.

Fair enough. Those numbers look very high to me. 55m for James Ryan, 89m for Aki? Don't see it at all.

Edit - I'm calling shenanigans on these figures. If you add up the Ireland metres gained you're over 700 which is a mad number.

Just three carries each for POM and VDF is a big problem. Stander is doing too much of the carrying. Made plenty of metres today, but he won't always. We need at least two of the three making good carries. That's simply.not happening right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The stats don't really matter, CJ was excellent yesterday, but it was more his breakdown work that stood out, it's an interesting conundrum for Farrell for next week if Doris is available.

What about scrum half? Did Murray do enough to keep his place? Did Cooney do enough to take his place? Cooney put in a couple of nice kicks and tackled like crazy, but ironically those aren't the areas where he is stronger than Murray. Murray obviously threw the intercept pass, but he showed great composure to pick Sexton out for the try which ultimately won us the game.

A word for Rob Herring...I don't think there is any doubt he is a place holder for Kelleher, but I thought he did well yesterday, the lineout was very secure and he made himself available for plenty of carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Didn't realise Doris failed a HIA last year. Hope yesterdays injury doesn't have a compound effect on him. I always think about Luke Marshall having to take a year out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Didn't realise Doris failed a HIA last year. Hope yesterdays injury doesn't have a compound effect on him. I always think about Luke Marshall having to take a year out.

I think it was his European debut for Leinster, last about the same amount of minutes as yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It sounds right, I remember one break he went about 20/25. It doesn’t take much to skew someone’s stats from one game to the next one or two good clean breaks can really bring that particular stat up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement