Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider nationalists from Northern Ireland to be Irish?

Options

Comments

Ironicname wrote: »
    Cheers. Just googled it. Still seems like you are talking out of your arse.

HOSTILE !

:D

And you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Google is your friend. BTW, best to understand what you're arguing against before countering

Oh and btw... The thread starts with "do you consider..." so my points are as valid as yours (although you are much better at being condescending and you know lots and lots about flags)

Hmmm, this condescending stuff is easy enough

HOSTILE !

Not even a bit. I just said it seems. I'm sure you are probably right.

Hmmm, this condescending stuff is easy enough

It's great craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I view nationalists - Republicans as Irish

I view unionists as British

I am strongly in favour of a united Ireland

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »

What about unionists that consider themselves Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The constitution allows those in the North to claim Irish nationality... and as the constitution is decided by the people....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Rodin wrote:
    The constitution allows those in the North to claim Irish nationality... and as the constitution is decided by the people....

That's it in a nutshell.

Mad_maxx wrote:

I don't want the trouble it would bring to be honest. I don't see any benefit for anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Hope this is relevant. But at yesterdays Irish rugby game there were two flags held beside team. The Irish tricolour (flag of ROI) and the yellow ulster flag (flag of one province).
    I want to be positive about this but i find it hard not to be further offended by it. I hope the IRFU were trying to include unionists (but obviously without asking them).
    This team represents two countries and up to now only the flag of one is tolerated. For some reason this was changed.

Here is what is really interesting for me as a northern unionist.

I was fairly disgusted/disappointed by the flying of the flag of one province and one country, but i surprised myself as i realised how trans-formative it would be if the IRFU carried the flags of the two countries. As someone who can give no allegiance to the team currently, I would be routing for it if it gave this gesture to my community/country. What do you think. Would that be acceptable to you guys? Two flags ROI and NI

• Advertisement

downcow wrote:
    I was fairly disgusted/disappointed by the flying of the flag of one province and one country, but i surprised myself as i realised how trans-formative it would be if the IRFU carried the flags of the two countries. As someone who can give no allegiance to the team currently, I would be routing for it if it gave this gesture to my community/country. What do you think. Would that be acceptable to you guys? Two flags ROI and NI

I agree. There should be two separate flags for two separate countries

downcow wrote:

The more inclusive the better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I missed that, apologies.

A country is separate to a nation. Many in NI do not wish to be part of the UK, but were born on the island of Ireland and have as much right as anybody on the island of Ireland to consider themselves Irish.

In the same way Canadians and Mexicans are Americans.

In the same way Canadians and Mexicans are Americans.

But not Hawaiians

Rodin wrote: »

They are Irish if they claim it but not automatically?

What do we mean when we say Irish here, what are the parameters of a demonym?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I agree but I said I wouldn't engage with Chinese Whospers as we were going around in circles and I'm sure it isn't good reading. He is totally incorrect to say that it isn't an official term. It is the term /name used worldwide including in Irish schools. It has been the of name for 600 years as you say.

No it's not, Folens stopped using it in their atlas years ago and the Irish government is clear it's not an official term
    However, Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern has ruled that the term is not used by the Government and is without any official status.

It was made clear by him that the term is not recognised in any legal or inter-governmental sense.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/folens-to-wipe-british-isles-off-the-map-in-new-atlas-1.1009971?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Not our jurisdiction....UK folk! Those who want to be, or consider themselves to be Irish, can apply for a Republic of Ireland passport and they would be most welcome, IMHO

No it's not, Folens stopped using it in their atlas years ago

Case closed

Just a thought on this, island of Ireland, Irish, then that means there is no demonym for the ROI specifically.

bazza1 wrote: »
    Not our jurisdiction....UK folk! Those who want to be, or consider themselves to be Irish, can apply for a Republic of Ireland passport and they would be most welcome, IMHO

Were there Irish people between 1800-1900

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »
    Hope this is relevant. But at yesterdays Irish rugby game there were two flags held beside team. The Irish tricolour (flag of ROI) and the yellow ulster flag (flag of one province).
    I want to be positive about this but i find it hard not to be further offended by it. I hope the IRFU were trying to include unionists (but obviously without asking them).
    This team represents two countries and up to now only the flag of one is tolerated. For some reason this was changed.

Fantastic, but what flag would that be?

downcow wrote: »

The fact they refused to play the anthem when having a game in ravenhill in recent years indicated the irfu don't want to know about this.

The agreement was Phil's coulter's abominations at all games and local national anthem for home games, observed in the republic but not in the north for some reason.

They are Irish if they claim it but not automatically?

We no longer have a constitutional claim on the north. We voted to remove it as part of the Belfast agreement /Good Friday Agreement. Our constitution now recognises the right of people living in the North to be Irish or British. In fact they can be both! Or they can choose one if they only identify with one.

No it's not, Folens stopped using it in their atlas years ago and the Irish government is clear it's not an official term

They removed it in 2007 but it is still taught in school in Ireland.

The fact that it was in department of education approved books means it was an official term.

What is the official term now then? All I hear Irish government saying is these islands of ours.

Fantastic, but what flag would that be?

Fleg

We no longer have a constitutional claim on the north. We voted to remove it as part of the Belfast agreement /Good Friday Agreement. Our constitution now recognises the right of people living in the North to be Irish or British. In fact they can be both! Or they can choose one if they only identify with one.

You cut out the second part of the post and so your response doesn't deal with what I was asking, they are both pertinent.

Ironicname wrote:
    Case closed

I said hours ago that they stopped using it in 2007. My point is that it was in department of education approved books up until 2007. Despite what the government might claim, they recognised this term as the official term until 2007 at least. It was in books approved by the government to teach our children about the British Isles.

To this day there is no government directive stopping teachers from using the offending term.

The fact that it was in department of education approved books means it was an official term.

All I hear Irish government saying is these islands of ours.

And you knew what they meant. And it was an official term. You can add it to the list of

Hibernia
    Zaire
    Burma
    ceylon
    Stalingrad
    Constantinople

And many many more.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

What about unionists that consider themselves Irish?

They use the "im Irish" handle in a different context, a geographical description at best

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote:

I don't want the trouble it would bring to be honest. I don't see any benefit for anybody

We don't have a choice not to buy it, it's happening, it will also likely involve a multi decade effort to put down a loyalist terror campaign

Advertisement