Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider nationalists from Northern Ireland to be Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

The diagonal red cross. It represents St. Patrick. Wales isn't represented.

Yeah looks like England have more respect for the Republic and Scotland. NI and Wales dont get a look in at all.

alastair wrote: »
    The Ulster banner is an official flag - but only in existence since the 50’s.

Ulster =/= Northern Ireland. Pretty sure you know that. And I don't think many in Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal would consider themselves Northern Irish.

They can identify as culturally British citizens of the U.K. The flag most unionists would have identified with would have been the union flag - for obvious reasons, but the Ulster banner certainly gained popularity for a recent invention.

Yeah seem like unionist are pleading their allegiance to a Britain that does not want them.

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    Yeah looks like England have more respect for the Republic and Scotland. NI and Wales dont get a look in at all.

To be fair. The Irish Saltaire represented All of Ireland - they just didn't change it when the Free state (now Ireland) left, it just represents NI now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The St Patrick saltire is the NI look in, just as it was the Irish look in when the union extended to the whole island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Skihunta13 wrote:
    So does England and Scotland yet they are represented on the union jack. What ties unionist to the union jack.

History.

To be fair. The Irish Saltaire represented All of Ireland - they just didn't change it when the Free state (now Ireland) left, it just represents NI now.

It is the flag of Saint Patrick that is on the Union Jack.
    I dont recall Arlene Foster,Nigel Dodds, ian Pasley etc leading too many parades on March17th.

alastair wrote:
    The Ulster banner is an official flag - but only in existence since the 50’s.

I'm only in existence since the 80s.

Ironicname wrote: »
    I'm only in existence since the 80s.

Is that the flag you were referring to as an official flag for the Northern Irish?

Can you not see the problem with it as such?

I was unaware the Ulster banner was not the official flag of ni.

Every day's a school day.

Anyway, this talk about flags is dragging it a bit off topic.

Does being born in a different country make you not be from the country you want the from?

There is no United Ireland but people who want a United Ireland in the north refuse to believe there isn't one and want to be recognised as Irish.

They are Northern Irish.

Sure, they can get Irish or British passports, but so what? My daughter is eligible for an American passport. She's from Dublin. She isn't American.

• Advertisement

Ulster =/= Northern Ireland. Pretty sure you know that. And I don't think many in Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal would consider themselves Northern Irish.

It was never designed to represent anyone from Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal.

Can you not see the problem with it as such?

I don't really see flags as a problem. I'm mad like that.

I don't really see flags as a problem. I'm mad like that.

Sorry Ironicanme - I thought you posted the below. :rolleyes:
    They have their own flag. They are Northern Irish.

It was never designed to represent anyone from Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal.

It cannot be an official Ulster flag then. Who recognises it as a 6 county Ulster flag?

It is the flag of Saint Patrick that is on the Union Jack.
    I dont recall Arlene Foster,Nigel Dodds, ian Pasley etc leading too many parades on March17th.

St Patrick is just as big a deal in Irish Protestantism as he is in Irish Catholicism. But the parades are an invention of the Catholic Irish-Americans, and obviously hold less appeal to the unionist tradition.

It cannot be an official Ulster flag then. Who recognises it as a 6 county Ulster flag?

You asked about a Northern Irish flag. That was/is it - depending on whether you want an official one, or a post-Stormont unofficial sectarian one.

You asked about a Northern Irish flag. That was/is it - depending on whether you want an official one, or a post-Stormont unofficial sectarian one.

This has gone beyond circles at this stage.

Iroinicname said there was a NI Flag. You said the Ulster flag was official. But, now you're saying it's not official for the purpose Ironicname was referencing it for.

*sigh*

This has gone beyond circles at this stage.

Iroinicname said there was a NI Flag. You said the Ulster flag was official. But, now you're saying it's not official for the purpose Ironicname was referencing it for.

*sigh*

It was official. It stopped being official when direct rule was instituted. Since the GFA, and self governance, the issue of flags has been kept away with ten foot poles.

You should really watch the Shoulder To Shoulder documentary if you don't understand this. NI people believe they are Irish, Northern Irish and British apparently. What the rest of us think doesn't really matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzbBcluUvv4

I couldn't find a better version.

It was official.

So, why did you post in reference to Ironicname when he said there is a flag for Northern Irish, and you said "The Ulster banner is an official flag - but only in existence since the 50’s." That's present tense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    quote=alastair]The British Isles isn’t an official term either.

It is actually. Its been in use since the 1500s.
    Why do the islands of Ireland and the UK need to be grouped together? Answer that and you'll learn a lot about yourself.

Do we not have the Aran Islands? It is normal to group islands like this from a geography point of view. They are grouped together for geography terms. Ireland & the UK were part of the same country /land mass at one stage. Its important to group them together when teaching geography.

There is no need to group them together for any other reason apart from geography.

Where does pomme du terre fit in all of that? Calling it a potato doesn't make it thus. Just because some British agency decided the term sounded well and suited their sense of colonial entitlement doesn't give it any legitimacy. It's use is aggressive and possessive and is not to be tolerated. See previous example of Malvinas/ Falklands.

Again, the term is from the 1500s and relates to the geography of the two countries. Many posters refuse to see the difference between Great Britain and the British Isles. This is the same nonsense as someone saying that they are sick to the stomach when they see a UK flag in Ireland yet haven't a problem with a US flag in Ireland.

We are a Republic. We won & England lost. A hundred years later can we not move on?[/quote]
    What are you bringing flags, Great Britain and England up for? Nonsense indeed. But as your on it there are plenty of Union Jacks flying in this country without fear of desecration, the US never oppressed the Irish, Great Britain is so designated to differentiate from Brittany, any reference to wider territories of Britishness should have extended southwards towards Northern France rather than westwards towards Ireland, but there was probably too big an army there for such lip to be tolerated.
    The only reference to Geography in the term is the word "islands".

I admitted I was wrong. I thought it was. No big deal. It's ok to be wrong sometimes. Anyway, It's a flag at the end of the day.

Northern ireland, regardless of some cloth, is a separate country to the Republic of Ireland. I wouldn't consider people from Northern Ireland to be from the same country as me for the express reason that they aren't.

It's commonly regarded that when people reference Ireland, they are talking about the Republic. Northern Ireland is commonly referred to as Northern Ireland.

It's be like me saying I'm off to dakota. North and South are different places.

Whatever flag they like or feel represents them is of no consequence to me.

So, why did you post in reference to Ironicname when he said there is a flag for Northern Irish, and you said "The Ulster banner is an official flag - but only in existence since the 50’s." That's present tense.

Because it’s still the only NI flag in existence. It’s official status was derived from the governance of NI, which was curtailed by direct rule. The new government, even when not dormant, are not going to be rushing to try and introduce a new flag, given the animosity surrounding the whole issue. Is it an officially sanctioned flag? Yes it is. Is it the only flag specifically designed to represent NI? Yes it was.

I admitted I was wrong. I thought it was. No big deal. It's ok to be wrong sometimes.

I missed that, apologies.

Northern ireland, regardless of some cloth, is a separate country to the Republic of Ireland. I wouldn't consider people from Northern Ireland to be from the same country as me for the express reason that they aren't.

A country is separate to a nation. Many in NI do not wish to be part of the UK, but were born on the island of Ireland and have as much right as anybody on the island of Ireland to consider themselves Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It is actually. Its been in use since the 1500s.

I agree but I said I wouldn't engage with Chinese Whospers as we were going around in circles and I'm sure it isn't good reading. He is totally incorrect to say that it isn't an official term. It is the term /name used worldwide including in Irish schools. It has been the of name for 600 years as you say.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I agree but I said I wouldn't engage with Chinese Whospers as we were going around in circles and I'm sure it isn't good reading. He is totally incorrect to say that it isn't an official term. It is the term /name used worldwide including in Irish schools. It has been the of name for 600 years as you say.

Again - that makes the term archaic, but not official.

Castlekeeper wasn’t agreeing with you btw - your quote was screwy so that is your own claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I've a suggestion, for geographical purposes why not call them " The Porcupine Islands"?
    That it makes no sense, apart from geographically, is perfect, along with the exception being that the locals are a bit prickly about the whole issue.

A country is separate to a nation. Many in NI do not wish to be part of the UK, but were born on the island of Ireland and have as much right as anybody on the island of Ireland to consider themselves Irish.

Really? Should people from cork get to say they are from Sligo because it's in the same land mass.

The island of Ireland is two separate countries.

What is the difference between a nation and a country? Genuinely interested.

What is the difference between a nation and a country? Genuinely interested.

Google is your friend. BTW, best to understand what you're arguing against before countering :P

• Advertisement

Google is your friend. BTW, best to understand what you're arguing against before countering

Cheers. Just googled it. Still seems like you are talking out of your arse.

Advertisement