Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider nationalists from Northern Ireland to be Irish?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

alastair wrote:
    Britain and Ireland is a geographic term too. Precisely the same geographic area as the other term.

Not quite true.

Places like the Isle of man are part of the British Isles but are not part of Britain.

Ireland & Britain doesn't describe the same geographical area as the British Isles.

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

alastair wrote: »
    Maybe so, but if you identify as an Ulster man/woman, that’s an Irish identity too. Just from a different tradition. Just like Cork people. Insular cranks with silly accents. 😛

Why wouldn't an Ulster man/woman be an Irish identity?

alastair wrote:
    Frank Aiken’s suggestion, as minister for external affairs to a U.K. publisher in 1969; ‘Ireland and Britain, or some such terminology’. He said ‘British Isles’ should not be used.

And yet the department of education ensured that I was taught all about the British Isles in the mid 70s.

It's called playing to the audience

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Don't agree at all.

They just go anti the other side. Celtic was set up by Irish people and is seen as an Irish club in Scotland; unionists support rangers. Irish people support the fight for freedom by the people of Palestine; unionists back Israel. It goes on.

That makes no sense.. if Ireland is acceptable why isn't Britain and Ireland?

As already explained the British Isles includes the likes of the isle of man but its not part of Great Britain.

Britain & Ireland does not cover the same geographic area as the British Isles

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    And yet the department of education ensured that I was taught all about the British Isles in the mid 70s.

Science in school used to also teach that there are only 3 states of matter.

Basically, THEY LIED TO YOU MAN! :pac:

Science in school used to also teach that there are only 3 states of matter.

There's a lot of posters here need to go back to school. Lots of islands like Jersey &, Guernsey etc aren't part of Great Britain yet are part of the British Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Not quite true.

Places like the Isle of man are part of the British Isles but are not part of Britain.

Ireland & Britain doesn't describe the same geographical area as the British Isles.

The Isle of Man is part of Britain, it’s not a part of the UK. Every island is either part of Britain or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

They just go anti the other side. Celtic was set up by Irish people and is seen as an Irish club in Scotland; unionists support rangers. Irish people support the fight for freedom by the people of Palestine; unionists back Israel. It goes on.

I agree, two sides of the same coin.

Your arguing my point of view I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nationalists up North:

They are more bloody Irish than most in the South.....

And they have fought tooth, nail, life and limb for that right!

• Advertisement

I agree, two sides of the same coin.

Your arguing my point of view I think.

You obviously didn't read my post. Some unionists just back things to go against what the 'other side' support. Irish people have a natural connection and affinity to Celtic and Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

walshb wrote: »
    Nationalists up North:

They are more bloody Irish than most in the South.....

And they have fought tooth, nail, life and limb for that right!

The idea of Irishness has moved on in the South, it is stuck in the past in the North.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The idea of Irishness has moved on in the South, it is stuck in the past in the North.

I get you..

Personally, I am the same. I don't see myself now as Irish or anything. Just human, and living in the world. Identities and cultures are being eroded.

It doesn't bother me either way...

alastair wrote:
    The Isle of Man is part of Britain, it’s not a part of the UK. Every island is either part of Britain or Ireland.

Do more research.

Great Britain is Ireland North, Scotland, Wales and, England. Only four countries. The Channel Islands are part of the British Isles but not part of Great Britain. Jersey is British Crown dependent put not part of Britain

Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man are part of the British Isles. England, Scotland and Wales make up Great Britain, while the United Kingdom includes Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Jersey is a British Crown Dependency.
    ​Currency: ​British pound sterling / Jersey cu...
    ​Government: ​Parliamentary democracy
    ​Geographical area: ​45.5 sq miles / 120 sq ..

https://www.gov.je/Leisure/Jersey/pages/profile.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The British & Irish Isles? Is that so mad?

A certain cohort thought the end of the world had arrived when a certain rugby team was changed to The British and Irish Lions. But hardly anyone bats an eyelid now.

That's fair enough tbh, it isn't used currently but I'd have no problem doing so. Irish and British isles? :Pac:

Regarding the poll:

Seems simple to me. Loyalists and Unionists see themselves very much as British...

Nationalists, very much as Irish......

Do more research.

Great Britain is Ireland North, Scotland, Wales and, England. Only four countries. The Channel Islands are part of the British Isles but not part of Great Britain. Jersey is British Crown dependent put not part of Britain

The Channel Islands are not actually part of the geographic body you term the British Isles. They’re part of the French archipelago. They are however British, with full British citizenship for their populations, just as applies to the Isle of Man. They’re not part of the U.K., but are definitely British, and not designated overseas territories, not British subjects, but citizens, they have representation on the British-Irish Council, so they are part of Britain, if not politically part of GB.

You obviously didn't read my post. Some unionists just back things to go against what the 'other side' support. Irish people have a natural connection and affinity to Celtic and Palestine.

Other posters in this thread are arguing about the name of the British Isles and it not being acceptable from the Irish government point of view.

From the outside its almost like its just to "go against the other side"?

For me it's very much two sides of the same coin. Nothing changes on this island until people just move on and live and let live.

Other posters in this thread are arguing about the name of the British Isles and it not being acceptable from the Irish government point of view.

For me it's very much two sides of the same coin. Nothing changes on this island until people just move on and live and let live.

It's clearly not the british isles, was just a term created by occupiers of a country. In this case, the 'other side' is the people who killed millions of Irish people. I'm sure everyone is against them?

• Advertisement

It's clearly not the british isles, was just a term created by occupiers of a country. In this case, the 'other side' is the people who killed millions of Irish people. I'm sure everyone is against them?

Your original point was that unionists align themselves with anything anti Irish.

I was saying it was true the other way as well.

Has your post above not just confirmed that?

alastair wrote:
    The Channel Islands are not actually part of the geographic body you term the British Isles. They’re part of the French archipelago. They are however British, with full British citizenship for their populations, just as applies to the Isle of Man. They’re not part of the U.K., but are definitely British, and not designated overseas territories, not British subjects, but citizens, so they are part of Britain, if not politically part of GB.

Gibraltar has British citizens but they aren't part of Great Britain. Britain & British and two totally different things.

I have provided a link to the Jersey government website and it clearly states that they are NOT part of Great Britain

There are only four countries in Great Britain

Ireland & Britain doesn't describe the area that "British Isles" describes, so it is not a suitable

It’s not acceptable, because it’s inaccurate. That’s not an antagonistic position to take, merely acknowledging that it’s a misnomer.

Your original point was that unionists align themselves with anything anti Irish.

I was saying it was true the other way as well.

Has your post above not just confirmed that?

How is going against people who've killed millions anti british? Is it anti German to be against the nazis?

Gibraltar has British citizens but they aren't part of Great Britain. Britain & British and two totally different things.

I have provided a link to the Jersey government website and it clearly states that they are NOT part of Great Britain

There are only four countries in Great Britain

Ireland & Britain doesn't describe the area that "British Isles" describes, so it is not a suitable

Gibraltar doesn’t have British citizenship. It has British Overseas Territories citizenship - not the same thing at all. Those holding British citizenship as a consequence of their national territory are clearly part of Britain.

Britain and Ireland incorporates all of the islands that ‘British Isles’ do, with the benefit of also including the Channel Islands, not technically part of the geographic ‘British Isles’. But then the Irish State got to that conclusion decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ArtMonkey

Of course they're Irish. Unionists can identify as British if they want. But everyone else on the island is Irish to me. Regarding those who have hard feelings towards folks from the North and think they're not Irish, some people forget their history very easily and believe anything Politicians tell them because they think that makes them a good obedient citizen, whereas in reality it just makes them disloyal mugs.

ArtMonkey wrote: »
    Of course they're Irish. Unionists can identify as British if they want. But everyone else on the island is Irish to me. Regarding those who have hard feelings towards folks from the North and think they're not Irish, some people forget their history very easily and believe anything Politicians tell them because they think that makes them a good obedient citizen, whereas in reality it just makes them disloyal mugs.

****ing traitors. Were there no Irish people 100 years ago?

Advertisement