Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider nationalists from Northern Ireland to be Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

It was called the British Isles even geographically because it was ruled by Britain. I refer you to the newsflash as the start of this post. And the Aran islands is simply their name, which is in no way anachronistic.

You asked why a group of islands need to be grouped together. The poster answered by saying we do so with the Aran Islands.

What did your answer tell you about yourself other than you are quite hostile.

Ironicname wrote: »
    You asked why a group of islands need to be grouped together. The poster answered by saying we do so with the Aran Islands.

And I disagreed with their assertions, and didn't understand why they thought the Aran Islands name was relevant.

Eh? Disagreeing with someone and stating why is hostile? :pac:*

*You think this is hostile, don't you :rolleyes:

And I disagreed with their assertions, and didn't understand why they thought the Aran Islands name was relevant.

Because it is grouping islands.
    Eh? Disagreeing with someone and stating why is hostile? *
    Not at all. But certain phrasing makes you come across as hostile.
    *You think this is hostile, don't you

Not particularly. The use of the smilie makes it look prickish but not hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

They are Irish, but there’s definitely something different about Nordies. Very sour and dour people who are seemingly incapable of letting things go.

I think that's just an Ulster thing, Donegal and Monaghan folk are the same

Because it is grouping islands.

And why are the Aran islands called the Aran islands? Has anything changed? We know not all of the island of Ireland is now ruled by Britain.

Not at all. But certain phrasing makes you come across as hostile.

It's not my intention, but I've no control over whether someone considers me hostile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

News Flash, Ireland is no longer part of the UK, and things British, therefore it is an anachronism. Some Anglophiles will still use it, and even go to strained lengths to justify it. It hasn't been part of the same land mass for thousands of years, long before the term British had been invented.

NEWS FLASH we are talking 100s of thousands of years ago if not millions of years ago when Ireland, the land mass, was part of England, the land mass. Geography ignores what King or Queen there was at any point in the time because geography talks about millions of years. Long, long before humans. Why you continue to try bring in the Irish struggle into geography just stunns me.

British Isles has been taught in Irish schools since the foundation of the state. It is still taught to this day in Irish schools. The term British Isles hasn't been outlawed or made illegal in Irish schools. We still teach this to our children because this is the term that wii be recognised worldwide. The term "these islands of ours" won't be recognised even in Ireland

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    NEWS FLASH we are talking 100s of thousands of years ago if not millions of years ago when Ireland, the land mass, was part of England, the land mass. Geography ignores what King or Queen there was at any point in the time because geography talks about millions of years. Long, long before humans. Why you continue to try bring in the Irish struggle into geography just stunns me.

British Isles has been taught in Irish schools since the foundation of the state. It is still taught to this day in Irish schools. The term British Isles hasn't been outlawed or made illegal in Irish schools. We still teach this to our children because this is the term that wii be recognised worldwide. The term "these islands of ours" won't be recognised even in Ireland

The last Ice age ended approx 12 thousand years ago. England did not exist then. And it certainly didn't exist millions of years ago, so why connect it to a political term that has only existed hundreds of years.

The term British Isles is not taught in Ireland.

Ironicname wrote:

MAJOR chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Again - the geography isn’t the issue; the term is. The term is a political one insofar as it assigns a British identity on land that has never had such an identity.

MAJOR chip on his shoulder.

Eh, how do you come to that conclusion? Are you not used to people disagreeing with you. Are your British royalty?

• Advertisement

Green_harp_flag_of_Ireland_17th_century.svg

This is where the green, white and gold stems from. It's a flag from the 1600s (or at least based on the flag from that time).

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

I think there is an inherent flaw in the option of Unionist being regarded as British.
    Take a look at the UK’s full title: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    As anyone can see here even by GB reconigtion, NI is not British. It is part of the UK.
    Yet we have unionist fly the British flag, stand for the English anthem because they do not have one of their own, recognise themselves as Ulster even though 3 of the counties are in the Republic, the most northern part of Ireland is in the south.

Looks like NI unionists have an identity crisis.

Green_harp_flag_of_Ireland_17th_century.svg

This is where the green, white and gold stems from. It's a flag from the 1600s (or at least based on the flag from that time).

There’s no gold in the Irish flag. Thomas Francis Meagher included Orange to represent the Protestant tradition.
    …I trust that the old country will not refuse this symbol of a new life from one of her youngest children. I need not explain its meaning. The quick and passionate intellect of the generation now springing into arms will catch it at a glance. The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between the “orange” and the “green” and I trust that beneath its folds, the hands of the Irish Protestant and the Irish Catholic may be clasped in generous and heroic brotherhood…”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The term is not used anymore and is certainly not found in the education system. You really are flogging a dead horse here. The term was politicised and is not acceptable. There are plenty of alternatives so the only people left using it are doing so to be controversial

The last Ice age ended approx 12 thousand years ago. England did not exist then. And it certainly didn't exist millions of years ago, so why connect it to a political term that has only existed hundreds of years.

I give in. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

British Isles isn't a political term. I could Google it & post links to dozens of articles stating that it's purely a geographical location and term. It is not a reference to Britain ruling most of the planet at one small point in time. It describes a small section of the globe. A tiny section actually. You'll have to search long & deep to find links stating that the term British Isles is indeed political.

It is still known worldwide, including Ireland, as the British Isles. This does not mean that they rule these islands. It nothing more than a name. To this day geography teachers in Ireland talk about the British Isles.

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    I think there is an inherent flaw in the option of Unionist being regarded as British.
    Take a look at the UK’s full title: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    As anyone can see here even by GB reconigtion, NI is not British. It is part of the UK.
    Yet we have unionist fly the British flag, stand for the English anthem because they do not have one of their own, recognise themselves as Ulster even though 3 of the counties are in the Republic, the most northern part of Ireland is in the south.

Looks like NI unionists have an identity crisis.

It’s a U.K. flag - there’s no British flag as such. And there’s no English national anthem - God save the queen/king is also a U.K. anthem.

alastair wrote: »
    It’s a U.K. flag - there’s no British flag as such. And there’s no English national anthem - God save the queen/king is also a U.K. anthem.

Well that told me!😂😂
    I only see 3 colours in that flag. Which one does NI piggy back on?

I give in. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

British Isles isn't a political term. I could Google it & post links to dozens of articles stating that it's purely a geographical location and term. It is not a reference to Britain ruling most of the planet at one small point in time. It describes a small section of the globe. A tiny section actually. You'll have to search long & deep to find links stating that the term British Isles is indeed political.

It is still known worldwide, including Ireland, as the British Isles. This does not mean that they rule these islands. It nothing more than a name. To this day geography teachers in Ireland talk about the British Isles.

Again - the geography isn’t the issue; the term is. The term is a political one insofar as it assigns a British identity on land that has never had such an identity.

I could Google it & post links to dozens of articles stating that it's purely a geographical location and term...

To this day geography teachers in Ireland talk about the British Isles.

Post up a few Irish reference websites, Sleeper#

World and its Peoples: Ireland and United Kingdom, London: Marshall Cavendish, 2010, p. 8, The nomenclature of Great Britain and Ireland and the status of the different parts of the archipelago are often confused by people in other parts of the world. The name British Isles is commonly used by geographers for the archipelago; in the Republic of Ireland, however, this name is considered to be exclusionary. In the Republic of Ireland, the name British-Irish Isles is occasionally used. However, the term British-Irish Isles is not recognized by international geographers. In all documents jointly drawn up by the British and Irish governments, the archipelago is simply referred to as "these islands."

Not sure what teachers you're talking to that use 'British Isles' Next time ask them if they are flat earthers.*

#Isn't Sleeper another name for a foreign agent :p
    * This may come across as hostile. It's simply used to empahise the point.

Well that told me!����
    I only see 3 colours in that flag. Which one does NI piggy back on?

https://greatbritishmag.co.uk/ask-a-brit/why-is-the-united-kingdom-flag-called-the-union-jack/

• Advertisement

There’s no gold in the Irish flag. Thomas Francis Meagher included Orange to represent the Protestant tradition.

I know there's no gold on the Irish flag. I know it's green, white and orange. I know the story of it. I pass the building from which it first flew regularly.

People have asked where the notion of gold came from. I'm simply providing them with an answer. There was an irish flag, green with a gold harp on it, long ago. That's where the gold stems from.

Eh, how do you come to that conclusion? Are you not used to people disagreeing with you. Are your British royalty?

Read your posts. Aggressive and hostile. Blindly ignoring what I'm saying about geography and continuing to insist that a term used to discribe geography is political. Can't see to many disagreeing with the chip on the shoulder assessment.

I'm not having a go at you but judging by your posts & posting style I do believe that you have a major chip on your shoulder about this.

I'm done. I'll unfollow the thread for a while because this is going nowhere. I've already answered ops questions. Nationalists in the north are Irish. I don't even have to believe that they are. Irish law states that they are. Well unless we are talking about immigrats. Non Irish & non British. That would be different

So what part of the flag do the unionist identify with. In all fairness the Republic gave 33% of the flag in recognition of the unionist.
    How can they indentify as British? They are not part of Britain and never will be.

Skihunta13 wrote:
    So what part of the flag do the unionist identify with. In all fairness the Republic gave 33% of the flag in recognition of the unionist. How can they indentify as British? They are not part of Britain and never will be.

They have their own flag. They are Northern Irish.

Read your posts. Aggressive and hostile. Blindly ignoring what I'm saying about geography and continuing to insist that a term used to discribe geography is political. Can't see to many disagreeing with the chip on the shoulder assessment.

I'm not having a go at you but judging by your posts & posting style I do believe that you have a major chip on your shoulder about this.

I'm done. I'll unfollow the thread for a while because this is going nowhere. I've already answered ops questions. Nationalists in the north are Irish. I don't even have to believe that they are. Irish law states that they are. Well unless we are talking about immigrats. Non Irish & non British. That would be different

Convenient for you to ignore my #170 post where it shows it's not an accepted geographic term.

I do agree with you regarding people from NI being Irish (or indeed British if they wish).

So what part of the flag do the unionist identify with.

The diagonal red cross. It represents St. Patrick. Wales isn't represented.

What flag have they got? No official one that I know of.

Again, not being hostile, just not agreeing with you.

So does England and Scotland yet they are represented on the union jack. What ties unionist to the union jack.

Im useless at posting kinks to the extent that i cant actually do it but a quick google there says the even the cross of our patron saint is represented on the union jack.

If i was a unionist i would feel not wanted by my overlords!

So what part of the flag do the unionist identify with. In all fairness the Republic gave 33% of the flag in recognition of the unionist.
    How can they indentify as British? They are not part of Britain and never will be.

They can identify as culturally British citizens of the U.K. The flag most unionists would have identified with would have been the union flag - for obvious reasons, but the Ulster banner certainly gained popularity for a recent invention.

• Advertisement

What flag have they got? No official one that I know of.

Again, not being hostile, just not agreeing with you.

The Ulster banner is an official flag - but only in existence since the 50’s.

Advertisement