Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭quokula

The FPS boost on Series X does a decent job of combatting that trademark Bethesda jankiness that has always made their games borderline unplayable to me. Actually starting to enjoy Skyrim a bit after bouncing off it multiple times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭quokula

Just turned on my PS5 to find the controller nearly dead. For some reason it won't charge off the usb-c charger from my MacBook that I charge all my usb-c devices off either. I much prefer the AA batteries in the Xbox controller, far easier and cheaper in the long run when the batteries die and need replacing.

That's weird, my PS5 controllers charge just fine from my macbook charger. It's so nice just knowing it's fully charged every time I pick it up and battery is something I just never have to think about on the PS5. The Switch is similar as it takes USB-C too. Both consoles are so nice compared to the PS4 which was a lot more finicky about USB cables that were standard but were not shared by anything else in the living room, and of course nothing compares to the hassle of constantly having to buy fiddly AAs for my Xbox controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »
    , and of course nothing compares to the hassle of constantly having to buy fiddly AAs for my Xbox controllers.

Buy rechargable batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Because it gives you choice and over time battery loses its charge or can develop issues. At least with xbox controllers you can always swap it out. PS controllers are bricks, when battery dies on you.

You can disassemble ps controllers pretty easily and can swap out the battery, it’s a simple connector and no soldering is required. The downside is obviously this isn’t approved by sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Any of you Series X/S owners with a higher end, modern TV? Just wondering how good the auto HDR looks with older titles.... I hear Windows 10 is getting the same auto HDR on PC, and if it's in any way decent I might get an OLED for all my gaming. Obviously it won't be as good as native HDR, but decent enough all the same?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Any of you Series X/S owners with a higher end, modern TV? Just wondering how good the auto HDR looks with older titles.... I hear Windows 10 is getting the same auto HDR on PC, and if it's in any way decent I might get an OLED for all my gaming. Obviously it won't be as good as native HDR, but decent enough all the same?

It's definitely decent enough, I've been quite impressed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    It's great on 360 games in particular, I find. Crackdown looks fantastic. Oblivion requires you to wear sunglasses.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but Crackdown is free by the way. I.E. the 360 original.

It's tucked away there on the store, completely free. Get on it, still a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

It's great on 360 games in particular, I find. Crackdown looks fantastic. Oblivion requires you to wear sunglasses.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but Crackdown is free by the way. I.E. the 360 original.

It's tucked away there on the store, completely free. Get on it, still a blast.

Have you tried it with Black? Just noticed that legendary game is on Game Pass. Haven't played it yet.
    Also, love Depeche Mode :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Have you tried it with Black? Just noticed that legendary game is on Game Pass. Haven't played it yet.
    Also, love Depeche Mode :D
    Not had the pleasure! Wrote off Black as being one of those generic mid noughties console shooters to be honest. Though I'm partial to a good mid noughties console shooter!
    Music Has the Right to Children is one of my favourite records I own <3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lads im thinking of buying a Series X as got bit money for me birthday.

I have a Ps 5 and a switch is it worth it currently?

Obviously the element of Gamepass is tempting but apart from maybe The Medium I dunno any other Xbox games id want for the x I can't get for Ps5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭xtal191

Obviously the element of Gamepass is tempting but apart from maybe The Medium I dunno any other Xbox games id want for the x I can't get for Ps5.

Its def not worth getting just for The Medium

xtal191 wrote: »
    Its def not worth getting just for The Medium

What's the current line up including game pass that makes it worth purchase? Especially if u already own a PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What's the current line up including game pass that makes it worth purchase? Especially if u already own a PS5.

Forza Horizon 4 is good and then there are older games with backwards compatibility if you are only a recent gamer and never played some of the older games.

Forza Horizon 4 is good and then there are older games with backwards compatibility if you are only a recent gamer and never played some of the older games.

I haven't played Microsoft since the 360 its been all Sony or Nintendo. I'm looking at the long term as well because of Bethesda. I love there games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Here are the Games Coming Exclusively to Xbox in 2021

There are rumours that Starfield will be here this year, but I don't buy that at all.

Is it worth buying for current gen or is everything going by the last gen?

How long till the next few games come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mossie

Quick question - is it possible to schedule downloads of games etc for a particular time? My ISP (Imagine) meters downloads from 7am to 1am. 1am to 7am there's no limit. If I put the Xbox on a timed smart plug would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is it worth buying for current gen or is everything going by the last gen?

How long till the next few games come out?

To be honest I don't think we'll be seeing many true next gen titles on either console until the end of the year or early next year.

xtal191 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think we'll be seeing many true next gen titles on either console until the end of the year or early next year.

There's a few games both new and ps4 that it's worth having ps5 for. Is it the same currently for the Series X?

mossie wrote: »
    Quick question - is it possible to schedule downloads of games etc for a particular time? My ISP (Imagine) meters downloads from 7am to 1am. 1am to 7am there's no limit. If I put the Xbox on a timed smart plug would that work?

No you would have to stay up till 1am and then set it to download and then get up at 7am to stop the download.

• Advertisement

No you would have to stay up till 1am and then set it to download and then get up at 7am to stop the download.

Thanks. Would have thought a download scheduler would be a worthwhile inclusion in the software.

Thanks. Would have thought a download scheduler would be a worthwhile inclusion in the software.

Very few people would need that.

Very few people would need that.

That may be but for those who do it would be important and surely wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

That may be but for those who do it would be important and surely wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Very true but the OS lacks in a few ways. It will not save multiple WiFi network passwords. When you change to a different WiFi connection you have to manually enter the password and then when switching back to original you have to enter password again it is annoying as on my Windows 10 computer I can switch at will and passwords are saved.

Very true but the OS lacks in a few ways. It will not save multiple WiFi network passwords. When you change to a different WiFi connection you have to manually enter the password and then when switching back to original you have to enter password again it is annoying as on my Windows 10 computer I can switch at will and passwords are saved.

Yeah. I guess I'll have to do my downloading at the weekends so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

There's a few games both new and ps4 that it's worth having ps5 for. Is it the same currently for the Series X?

I had a PS4 last gen and have a series S now. Been playing gears 5 and dlc, Forza horizon, Ori games, Jedi Fallen Order on ea play, just started Prey and Dishonoured, have doom eternal installed too.

Personally I think all of the above are very good, you could buy some of those on your ps5 (maybe some on ps now) but I've played them all through gamepass at no extra cost other than the subscription.

I think if you can afford it then you could use the Xbox as almost a MS first party and third party machine while using the ps5 for the Sony exclusives.

Looking ahead long term I think MS now has 23 first party studios so you would think there is going to be a lot of exclusives coming day 1 to gamepass in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Noticed that Ori Will of the Wisps was blurry around the edges when you move. But then discovered you can tweak/turn off this motion blur. Why is it defaulted to blurry ? Why would anybody want motion blur ???
    Something to Google ..

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

I was in the same boat , and was delighted I pulled the trigger on the series x. game pass has so many great games. Gears 4 and 5 are two I am currently playing , burst through halo 5 too, lot of third party titles aswell and with the gamepass tip I found here for best deal of gamepass (the 30 months for really cheap)

I will effectively limit my spending on third party titles as they will appear on gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Could be worse, on PS if you plug in an Ethernet cable it won't automatically switch to a wired connection, it also won't switch back if unplugged.

Another oddity with the PS5 is that is can't simultaneously output USB and HDMI audio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks like the Xbox Live name is going away.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1373458474898706433

Not too surprising really it's been obvious that there was big changes coming ever since that aborted price rise for Live.

Advertisement