Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

Have both the X and the S in our house and I will always recommend the S over the X. Anyone who needs advice on which to get will not get any benefit from the X. Seties S is a fantastic machine. Sexy, silent and the performance is astounding. Only negative is the low storage but thats really nit picking. You can play 5/6 games at a time, when you run out of space move the ones you've stopped playing over to an external drive. Or just delete them.

€300 + 3 years game pass for approx €120-150. Absolute bargain. Every single house should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I went with Series X as I still have a reasonably large DVD and BluRay collection and the xbox is my only player. Upgraded to a 4k tv recently too, and everything looks amazing. Find it strange that the UI is exactly the same as the Xbox One, feels like I stuck a new graphics card in rather than bought a next gen system. However when Forza Horizon 4 loads up in seconds a single tear rolls always down my cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Have both the X and the S in our house and I will always recommend the S over the X. Anyone who needs advice on which to get will not get any benefit from the X. Seties S is a fantastic machine. Sexy, silent and the performance is astounding. Only negative is the low storage but thats really nit picking. You can play 5/6 games at a time, when you run out of space move the ones you've stopped playing over to an external drive. Or just delete them.

€300 + 3 years game pass for approx €120-150. Absolute bargain. Every single house should have one.

And what about games in 2 years that will be flying at 60fps on the X when the S will probably be barely able to keep up? Like the original One and S then the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    And what about games in 2 years that will be flying at 60fps on the X when the S will probably be barely able to keep up? Like the original One and S then the X.

Series S will continue to be fine at 60fps, just still at the max resolution of 1440p as opposed to the 4k res of the Series X surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Apex legends got a 120fps patch, series x is 1440p@120hz, series S 1080p @ 120hz id expect series s to hold its own in the future obviously at lower resolution.

• Advertisement

Conar wrote: »
    Series S will continue to be fine at 60fps, just still at the max resolution of 1440p as opposed to the 4k res of the Series X surely.
    Yes and also the Series S upscales. I'd challenge anyone to spot the difference with the naked eye.

60fps must remain achievable going forward. No reason to think it won't.

I'm playing Crysis (360 version) on Gamepass and the game keeps freezing/crashing every second checkpoint.

I'm really enjoying the game but it's unplayable with these crashes.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I'm on a Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Xbox headphones reviews are starting to come out now. Seems pretty favourable. The general gist seems to be great headphones for the price, sound quality is as good as more expensive pairs but still very good for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

It's good to see the S getting some love. As a cheap, fast gaming box it's more impressive than the X in a sense in terms of what they've done for the price and the kind of mass appeal it's going for. I don't think it's just for 'casual' players either, though I can fully understand why it would be marketed and accepted as such.

I can play an awful lot of games in a week, and will proper nerd out on the wikis and lores of the ones I love. I'm doing all that through my S at the moment. I'm not sure is that hardcore gaming, but I'm not sure is it casual either.

Just like casual doesn't always equal Call of Duty and FIFA, hardcore shouldn't always equal day one, played competitively at the highest settings money can buy. That's B.S. and just another kind of marketing.

I'm an Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Final Fantasy/traditional FPS guy. The S is a ridiculously decked out, fast catch-all solution for all those titles just with the console and game pass alone.

It obviously won't be the prettiest for graphics optimisation in the future, but we already see studios setting it for 60fps performance modes instead which is fine by me.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Xbox headphones reviews are starting to come out now. Seems pretty favourable. The general gist seems to be great headphones for the price, sound quality is as good as more expensive pairs but still very good for gaming.

Got my shipping notification for them earlier on.

The main reason I got them is that I'm hoping I can replace 3 sets of headphones I currently go between with a one-for-all solution.

At the moment I'd have a wireless set for gaming, another set for listening to music/podcasts while working from home, and then another set for if I need a mic for a work meeting. Hopefully these headphones will mean I can declutter my desk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Fallout 4
    Fallout 76
    Skyrim
    Prey ...

now run at 60fps!

Also, Outriders coming to Game Pass day one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Fallout 4
    Fallout 76
    Skyrim
    Prey ...

now run at 60fps!

Also, Outriders coming to Game Pass day one.

It's interesting that Fallout 4 and 76 get a res drop while running at 60fps, which makes total sense. A real signal that MS are going to push framerate over resolution throughout this generation.

They do? That doesn't sound ideal. Fallout 4 is ancient, and 76 is fugly on Xbox systems as is. Surely they should be hitting 60 without a resolution drop. A fan mod could 60 fps Fallout 4 up until now without a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Playing Oblivion for the first time in a decade. I thought it would be a load of **** but its good fun and holds up well. The recent fallout games show how little progress Bethesda has made with that engine.

New Vegas is annoyingly low framrerate which seems a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Playing Oblivion for the first time in a decade. I thought it would be a load of **** but its good fun and holds up well. The recent fallout games show how little progress Bethesda has made with that engine.

New Vegas is annoyingly low framrerate which seems a waste.

That was such a great game. My first proper RPG. And picking locks is nearly like you are actually doing it.(well I could be looking through tinted glasses with that as it was the first game I played where you had to rotate the sticks to unlock a gate or door).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just heads up on Fallout 76 60fps boost. Its released now. You need to activate it though in manage game section.

Only realised its out, after playing tonight, so only tried it for a few minutes. Holy crap just for those few minutes it felt like totally different game. This fps boost for older games is best thing ever!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They do? That doesn't sound ideal. Fallout 4 is ancient, and 76 is fugly on Xbox systems as is. Surely they should be hitting 60 without a resolution drop. A fan mod could 60 fps Fallout 4 up until now without a drop.

I'd hold off on making judgments until Digital Foundry take a look at it. "Without a drop" is a bit inaccurate, even looking at the DF video on that mod, there's some drops, and that's just the opening of the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see it tank during some of the more complex areas.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd hold off on making judgments until Digital Foundry take a look at it. "Without a drop" is a bit inaccurate, even looking at the DF video on that mod, there's some drops, and that's just the opening of the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see it tank during some of the more complex areas.
    That's a shame. I guess an old engine isn't always going to run smooth as butter on a new system, though.

I quite like unwinding in Fallout 76 as a game I've never spent a penny on, but good lord it's a bad looking game close up. The foliage and terrain in it can be spectacularly horrendous on Xbox. Especially since a good portion of the landscape is giant grey rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's nothing to do with pushing framerate over resolution, it's because it's not an official fix. Of course the Series X has the power to run at 4K 60fps.

It's basically an unofficial workaround for the not great base-console version of the game.

They could easily release a next-gen patch that has much better textures and details on top of being 4K/60, but that would obviously have to come from Bethesda. Who knows if they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That's a shame. I guess an old engine isn't always going to run smooth as butter on a new system, though.

I quite like unwinding in Fallout 76 as a game I've never spent a penny on, but good lord it's a bad looking game close up. The foliage and terrain in it can be spectacularly horrendous on Xbox. Especially since a good portion of the landscape is giant grey rock.

I tried 76 on One X back in the day and I just could not play it. It looked and ran like arse. Plus it was properly bare bones at that point amd it was after good few patches.
    Then npc patch came out and I gave it a go again on series X and it was definitely better. They did minor patch for Series X that boosted resolution made 30 more stable and might have cracked up a few settings. It got at least playable and looking a lot better. I agree with you that up close it looks very dated, I am not even talking about clunkiness. Saying that, it has really amazing atmosphere and world beauty when you exploring. The oldy tunes really add to that experience.

I barely tried 60fps boost, but from quick glance it works great! Hopefully will try it properly tonight.

• Advertisement

I never really tried 76 before so I might give it a go once the new update (I don't remember the name) comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

I've never really played any of the Bethesda games tbh, which one's do people like?
    Thinking the likes of Skyrim are games you need to put many many hours into, are they all like that?

Homelander wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with pushing framerate over resolution, it's because it's not an official fix. Of course the Series X has the power to run at 4K 60fps.

It's basically an unofficial workaround for the not great base-console version of the game.

They could easily release a next-gen patch that has much better textures and details on top of being 4K/60, but that would obviously have to come from Bethesda. Who knows if they will.
    I didn't say it was to do with pushing framerate over resolution. I'm not expecting a resolution bump, what we're talking about is the existing resolution taking a hit in places whilst doing 60 FPS, which is a shame. Again the fan mod for Fallout 4 has existed for months now and I don't recall it causing resolution drops on XS. Could be wrong though!
    I tried 76 on One X back in the day and I just could not play it. It looked and ran like arse. Plus it was properly bare bones at that point amd it was after good few patches.
    Then npc patch came out and I gave it a go again on series X and it was definitely better. They did minor patch for Series X that boosted resolution made 30 more stable and might have cracked up a few settings. It got at least playable and looking a lot better. I agree with you that up close it looks very dated, I am not even talking about clunkiness. Saying that, it has really amazing atmosphere and world beauty when you exploring. The oldy tunes really add to that experience.

I barely tried 60fps boost, but from quick glance it works great! Hopefully will try it properly tonight.
    Glad to hear it works great! I might have to download 76 again so. It takes up a lot of the S storage so I parked it for awhile.

Agreed that the overall aesthetic of it still works great. To anyone tempted, as long as you don't have any massive expectations, you should get some worth out of it if you're big into the other games. I play solo specifically for comfort gaming. The servers are dead feeling, you have to eat and drink every so often and there's a big emphasis on scrapping and crafting so if you're just looking to just piss away a few hours pretending you're a filthy scrounger it's an oddly peaceful experience.

Just expect that the (few) NPCs and quests won't exactly be Hollywood. They're bog standard, practically auto generated fetch and destroys designed to level you up. But then I think that's the way it is with pretty much any MMO. 76 has the advantage that the actual landscape and survival gameplay is as immersive as any other Fallout.

I've never really played any of the Bethesda games tbh, which one's do people like?
    Thinking the likes of Skyrim are games you need to put many many hours into, are they all like that?

The Bethesda Games Studio games are pretty long, alright.

I'd stick to Doom and Wolfenstein, as they're made by different studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

I didn't say it was to do with pushing framerate over resolution. I'm not expecting a resolution bump, what we're talking about is the existing resolution taking a hit in places whilst doing 60 FPS, which is a shame. Again the fan mod for Fallout 4 has existed for months now and I don't recall it causing resolution drops on XS. Could be wrong though!

I actually was addressing someone else who said that in the thread, that it shows that they are prioritizing framerate over resolution, when that's not true in this case, it's just the cost of an unofficial workaround, whatever the reason.

The main reason the game is capped at 30 on the One X is because of the weak CPU and Fallout is horrendous with CPU efficiency. That problem doesn't exist on the Series X or S, so as you say, there is literally zero reason for the game not to run at 4k/60 or 1440p/60 on the X/S respectively.

However that would require a proper patch from Bethesda, like the patches issued for games like Apex Legends, which also had an interim slap-dash patch pending the proper one for X/S/PS5.

The problem is, Bethesda might not bother making a next-gen update/patch, so the best you will get might be a slightly boosted base-game designed for the Xbox One/PS4.

Same situation exists with Cyberpunk, people on Series X or PS5 are just playing an improved version of the base game, but it's not the next-gen version.

My Xbox wireless headset arrived from GameStop this morning. Was a bit surprised, as tracking said they would come on Thursday.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed for the price. They're comfy enough, sound is decent. Bass seems a bit strong, but I'm yet to play around with the equaliser.

The best thing is that I have it connected to my Xbox and laptop at the same time, so can seamlessly switch between the two for work/podcasts/gaming etc. It really is the ideal setup for my current situation.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Homelander wrote: »
    I actually was addressing someone else who said that in the thread, that it shows that they are prioritizing framerate over resolution, when that's not true in this case, it's just the cost of an unofficial workaround, whatever the reason.

The main reason the game is capped at 30 on the One X is because of the weak CPU and Fallout is horrendous with CPU efficiency. That problem doesn't exist on the Series X or S, so as you say, there is literally zero reason for the game not to run at 4k/60 or 1440p/60 on the X/S respectively.

However that would require a proper patch from Bethesda, like the patches issued for games like Apex Legends, which also had an interim slap-dash patch pending the proper one for X/S/PS5.

The problem is, Bethesda might not bother making a next-gen update/patch, so the best you will get might be a slightly boosted base-game designed for the Xbox One/PS4.

Same situation exists with Cyberpunk, people on Series X or PS5 are just playing an improved version of the base game, but it's not the next-gen version.

With the Bethesda acquisition I'd be surprised if next gen patches aren't on the agenda for the big titles at least, though they could be a while down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Basil3 wrote: »
    My Xbox wireless headset arrived from GameStop this morning. Was a bit surprised, as tracking said they would come on Thursday.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed for the price. They're comfy enough, sound is decent. Bass seems a bit strong, but I'm yet to play around with the equaliser.

The best thing is that I have it connected to my Xbox and laptop at the same time, so can seamlessly switch between the two for work/podcasts/gaming etc. It really is the ideal setup for my current situation.

Still waiting on them to come into stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Hey folks.
    Was just wondering how the series X plays with overscan on.
    The TV I have in my bedroom is a Sharp and it's a bit weird in that if I play with 1080p and overscan turned off the picture lacks color and has no sharpness whereas it looks fine with overscan turned on ie. kinda zoomed in.
    If I got a Series X and played with overscan on how zoomed in would it be and would I be missing important text?
    1080i works perfectly on my tv with overscan turned off but Series X doesn't support 1080i.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Hey folks.
    Was just wondering how the series X plays with overscan on.
    The TV I have in my bedroom is a Sharp and it's a bit weird in that if I play with 1080p and overscan turned off the picture lacks color and has no sharpness whereas it looks fine with overscan turned on ie. kinda zoomed in.
    If I got a Series X and played with overscan on how zoomed in would it be and would I be missing important text?
    1080i works perfectly on my tv with overscan turned off but Series X doesn't support 1080i.

All of the consoles recently support 1080p, definitely the series S|X.
    I do notice with Switch on my TV that I've got to use display settings to make the Switch fit properly on the screen, otherwise a border gets chopped off.

Advertisement