Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I'm finding download speeds from GamePass are around 20mbps when a speed test shows download speeds of 200mbps.

Do I need to change settings or something? I recall changing some settings on PS4 to speed it up. Games are taking forever to download.

Edit: Never mind, I had another gamepass game open.

i have a solid 1gb line and downloaded at 400mbps
    could not get it any faster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone have Watch Dogs Legion? There was a update in the last month or two that I left undownloaded and two nights ago had it nearly fully downloaded and there was 4 GB's left that I left downloading when I went to bed. Never checked it the next morning and there was another update at 18GB's or so which as far as I know is what the first update I mentioned was. So I'm asking was there a second update for this game within the last month or did my Xbox glitch out and I have to redownload the first update a second time.

I have really slow internet which is why I'm making more of a deal out of it than someone who can down load it in a few minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There was a patch issued about three weeks ago.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CatInABox wrote: »
    There was a patch issued about three weeks ago.

See here.

That's the one. Thanks. My Xbox obviously glitched out and is making me download the same update a second time. I have no idea how that happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Zenimax purchase approved by the EU. Looking forward to the event later this month now, should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1368853507047063554

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CatInABox wrote: »
    Zenimax purchase approved by the EU. Looking forward to the event later this month now, should be interesting.
    This was flagged on Friday as the US SEC approved it too.

Also Larry Hryb dropped at the wekend said he'll have special guests next week but wouldn't say who.

So i think it has to be Phil Spenser and maybe Todd Howard from Bethesda.

Could be a big week this week as I'd say we'll find out about future Bethesda games and about exclusivity ec.

I want Fallout 3, Morrowind and Oblivion on Gamepass please.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I have not many friends on Series X but will be hoping to play some RDR2 Online (haven't plated RDO yet so will have to start it) and will hope to play Halo: Infinite co-op if it has it. Also Forza: Horizon 4, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, or Fallout 76 or even GTAO heists.

I have wide bunch of games and Game Pass. I prefer co-op but willing to play other PVP.

If anyone is looking for some online friends, please send me a PM with your Gamer Tag. I'll be one a couple of evenings during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I want Fallout 3, Morrowind and Oblivion on Gamepass please.
    I'd be expectant of it, to be honest.

Whatever about new titles and their system exclusivity in the future, but I'd be hoping the studio's back catalogue starts getting added to Game Pass. At the moment I believe it's just 76, New Vegas, Skyrim and Doom Eternal on there.

Really what I'd be hoping for in time - since Microsoft now own their properties and there's virtually no new system exclusives for Series SX whatsoever - is that Game Pass becomes a sort of catch all hub/complete library for Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc. Having the full history of all those titles on there would be huge and would pretty much fill my time for years.

Whatever about new titles and their system exclusivity in the future, but I'd be hoping the studio's back catalogue starts getting added to Game Pass. At the moment I believe it's just 76, New Vegas, Skyrim and Doom Eternal on there.

Really what I'd be hoping for in time - since Microsoft now own their properties and there's virtually no new system exclusives for Series SX whatsoever - is that Game Pass becomes a sort of catch all hub/complete library for Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc. Having the full history of all those titles on there would be huge and would pretty much fill my time for years.

Well The Medium is there now and I expect this year to be many more, we're only at the start. There'll be plenty there within the next year I'd guess.

I fully expect the whole Bethesda library to be available on Game Pass fairly soon.

I

• Advertisement

Well The Medium is there now and I expect this year to be many more, we're only at the start. There'll be plenty there within the next year I'd guess.

I fully expect the whole Bethesda library to be available on Game Pass fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

murpho999 wrote: »

I
    If you bolded the 'virtually' bit as well, it'd make more sense.

And of course, more system exclusives will come in the future ;).

If you bolded the 'virtually' bit as well, it'd make more sense.

And of course, more system exclusives will come in the future ;).

OK fair enough but a lot of people ( I'm not saying you) go on about exclusives as if PS5 has loads of them.

I actually find exclusives to be restrictive, as less people get access to them, than being a good thing so PS fans going on about them annoys me.

Great thing about Xbox is though they will come to Game Pass which is very different to what Sony are doing.

I definitely think these ZeniMax titles will be exclusive to Game Pass.

The barrier for entry is so low to get access to Xbox eco-system. Series S, your own PC or xCloud are all options to get access to these titles, should they be exclusive.

I hope they're exclusive just to annoy those vocal "Xbox has no games" Sony ponies. I hadn't bought into the idea of exclusives. I was all about the system/platform over a handful of exclusives. But with Sony doing an excellent job with their first-party titles, I'm glad to see Xbox coming back and tackling their exclusives issue.

Exclusivity was actually very competitive on 360. Remember we go GTA DLC one year before Playstation. They abandoned exclusive new titles on Xbox One, probably due to the fact that only a small percentage actually buy exclusives. Out of about 120m PS users only about 15-20m people will buy their exclusives. So Microsoft investing in new exclusives on Xbox One with a 50m userbase is extremely costly.

Exclusives only work from a business standpoint as a sweetener to users when the machine is confidently good and is selling. Because if your console is losing out 2 to 1 to competitors, the point in making exclusives is very risky. And I'm using numbers of userbase at the end of the console cycle, not the begining.

Xbox is securing a massive pottential reach with Game Pass/xCloud/PC with Series S so investing in exclusives isn't as risky given the low barrier to entry for potential customers. PS5 fans can buy a Series S as a second console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭recyclops

if you really cared about quality first party exclusives you pick up a nintendo, sony best exclusives is bandied about alot there are two must play games and thats god of war and the last of us, other than that there are good exclusives and not system sellers ( too many are giant open world ubisoft clones), Xbox also has alot of those games ( alan wake, quantum break, gears series etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I picked up a Playstation recently and played through all the games I missed having not owned one since the PS2, I switched to Xbox at that point. God of War is the best game I've played from the Xbox One/PS4 era, by a country mile. The Last of Us 1 + 2 are very good as you say too, Horizon Zero Dawn also a fairly good game (a bit Ubisoft like but has more going for it than the latest Assassin's Creed games imo, it's not as bloated).

After that, Uncharted... I don't get the hype. It thinks it's a film, I much preferred the recent Tomb Raider games. Lost Legacy was a bit better than 4 in that it didn't overstay its welcome.

Ghost of Tsushima, I expected a lot more from this. Fairly uninspiring story, repetitive missions and not a huge amount else. Fans of the game rave about the beauty of the game world, I really don't see it. It feels like a game map from 15 years ago updated to render in 4K.

I hate Marvel so gave Spiderman a miss.

I got the most recent Gran Turismo game on the cheap just for nostalgia as I used to put a huge amount of time into the first couple on the PS1/2. I know it wasn't well reviewed but I think I played it for maybe 15 minutes and never touched it again. I wouldn't have high hopes for the next one, Forza is one genre where I think Xbox has a clear winner. I much prefer the open world style of Forza Horizon to the regular Forza/Gran Turismo games too.

That was about all I was interested in, I'll be looking forward to the God of War and Horizon sequels on PS5 this year but there's not a huge amount else that I think I'd really need a PS5 for. Also it was great being able to pick up a PS4 at the ends of its lifecycle and buy all these games for a tenner each. Gamepass is a bit of a gamechanger for the Xbox, I don't think it necessarily needs a load of first party franchises to be a success anymore when Gamepass is such a good deal.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/09/officially-welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

MS make Bethesda deal official now.

They state more Bethesda games will be on Game Pass this week.

Very curious how all of this turns out.

I was charged overnight by Gamestop for my Xbox headset, so looks like I'll be getting it on release. You can never be too sure with Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Was thinking of getting a Xbox S as I wouldn't play much and last Xbox I bought was 360 when Forza 4 was released so limited game time.

How much are the games cost on S compared to X? Are they same bar the 2nd hand market as no such thing on S?

murpho999 wrote: »
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/09/officially-welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

MS make Bethesda deal official now.

They state more Bethesda games will be on Game Pass this week.

Very curious how all of this turns out.

No Fallout 3...

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a Xbox S as I wouldn't play much and last Xbox I bought was 360 when Forza 4 was released so limited game time.

How much are the games cost on S compared to X? Are they same bar the 2nd hand market as no such thing on S?

The games are the same as they're X/S compatible. They're not sold as separate versions.

Also, the S is a digital only console, you won't have discs so there's no second hand market.

Don't take me the wrong way but I think you should research more before buying to make sure to get what's right for you.

Also look at Game Pass which will offer you a lot of games (including Forza) at the cost of a low subscription.

Here's what you can do for a good price. You can buy Xbox Live Gold sub for 1 year for €45 online. Then go to purchase Game Pass Ultimate. What happens is your 12 month Gold sub will be converted to 12 months of Game Pass. That will give you access to Forza: Horizon 4, Halo, all Bethesda games, most/all games on EA Pass (as EA Pass is included in Game Pass Ultimate).

If you can't play much you'll be able to dip into a library of about 200 games and find out what you like, what you don't like without breaking the bank and taking risks on paying full price for games.

There is a sale on practically every week on Xbox Marketplace. I just payed for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey 2018 for €20 and Assasin's Creed: Rogue Remastered for €10. To me, that's great value. Often the prices will be cheaper than Game Stop and CEX used games.

So, anyone thinking of doing the same. If you buy 12 month sub of Gold and a Series S, that should cost €350. Gold converts to Game Pass Ultimate.
    But when games like new Starfield drops, Halo: Infinite in Autumn and Flight Simulator at the end of the year, you won't need to fork out any more money. You can play them day one through Game Pass.

Game Pass is amazing. It's not until you have it that it realisation really kicks in. Games you won't normally consider, all of a sudden become enticing, given that there's no barrier to play them. Just download them and try them out. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I understand the s is digital but would it be a case of digital be €80 a game and physical be €60 so even after you buy a few games the cost on console gets smaller. I’m just a leisurely player.

Seems like the game passes would suit me. Thanks for answering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I understand the s is digital but would it be a case of digital be €80 a game and physical be €60 so even after you buy a few games the cost on console gets smaller. I’m just a leisurely player.

Most games can be bought via voucher code (usually at a discount too) from the likes of CDkeys so you're not completely stuck paying top dollar direct from MS. As mentioned above, Game Pass Ultimate would cover you for a LOT of games too.

It depends greatly on how you consume your games. At the start of the Xbox One generation, way before Gamepass came out, I swapped over to digital knowing that they cost more, but restricted myself to waiting until games were on a deep discount. In most cases, I'm only talking three months or so, before you start seeing the big drops start.

I've spent the last generation playing more games than ever, and have spent less money than any other generation. The only downside is that you miss out on the zeitgeist of a new game, as most people will be finished it by the time it's on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

I think the X is the best bet, gives you best of both worlds until it's all digital, unless you are really stuck for the extra 200 quid. Plus it's a much better, long term proposition. Really MS need to release a diskless X for 399.

YoshiSays wrote: »
    I think the X is the best bet, gives you best of both worlds until it's all digital, unless you are really stuck for the extra 200 quid. Plus it's a much better, long term proposition. Really MS need to release a diskless X for 399.

I like still having discs as I'm somewhat of a casual collector. However, I really see the value in a digital SX. I highly suspect they will bring out an all-digital SX probably as a mid-cycle-refresh. I can imagine the sales funnel of new Xbox players starting off on Series S and then graduating on to an all-digital Series X after a few years for the second half of this generation. Maybe a great deal with Game Stop to trade in your Series S for next to Series X digital. Remember Game Stop had a deal to trade in original Xbox One's for Xbox One S's and all you had to do was buy the latest FIFA. That was an amazing upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I like still having discs as I'm somewhat of a casual collector. However, I really see the value in a digital SX. I highly suspect they will bring out an all-digital SX probably as a mid-cycle-refresh. I can imagine the sales funnel of new Xbox players starting off on Series S and then graduating on to an all-digital Series X after a few years for the second half of this generation. Maybe a great deal with Game Stop to trade in your Series S for next to Series X digital. Remember Game Stop had a deal to trade in original Xbox One's for Xbox One S's and all you had to do was buy the latest FIFA. That was an amazing upgrade.

Indeed. Made money on that deal by immediately trading Fifa back in which more than paid off my order of Super Mario Odyssey due to a 25% trade boost offer on preorders at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

YoshiSays wrote: »

I just have to say, that Sony did it better. Making same Ps5 just with and without Disc. In my opinion MS needed to do same thing, then again 300eu next gen console has its place too.
    I went for Series X even if I am 100% digital. Disc drive in my One X and Series X haven't been used even once. If there was Series X with no Disc drive, I would just go for it.

• Advertisement

I just have to say, that Sony did it better. Making same Ps5 just with and without Disc. In my opinion MS needed to do same thing, then again 300eu next gen console has its place too.
    I went for Series X even if I am 100% digital. Disc drive in my One X and Series X haven't been used even once. If there was Series X with no Disc drive, I would just go for it.

I guess three consoles would have been a bit much.

Advertisement