Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just to comeback on whole Fallout 76 topic. I finally gave a proper go at it with 60fps boost and holy crap. It makes this game so damn more enjoyable. You pretty much see the whole world with a set of brand new eyes lol.

I was really anti-76, and I am a huge Fallout fan since Fallout 1 on my Pentuim 1 200mhz 8mb ram and 2mb video memory, but if you have Gamepass and series X is definitely worth a try. The game is still "Bethesda clunky", but now it's properly playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Homelander

And that's even with an unofficial 60fps patch.

Imagine how good the game would be with a proper next-gen patch from Bethesda. 60fps, 4k resolution, better textures, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

Have both the X and the S in our house and I will always recommend the S over the X.

I was going to get an S and a PS5 disc version, but then I figured out I could get an X and a PS5 digital version for just €100 extra.

I've had the Series X for a week now, my first ever Xbox - obviously I got the Gamepass Ultimate as well. Really enjoying "xbox anywhere", or whatever the PC/Xbox "crossplay" is called.

Might have to invest in rechargable batteries, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Polar101 wrote: »
    I was going to get an S and a PS5 disc version, but then I figured out I could get an X and a PS5 digital version for just €100 extra.

I've had the Series X for a week now, my first ever Xbox - obviously I got the Gamepass Ultimate as well. Really enjoying "xbox anywhere", or whatever the PC/Xbox "crossplay" is called.

Are many of the games able to cross over between PC and Xbox? That would be one of the biggest selling points for me, being able to put something down on PC and pick it up on Xbox.

Polar101 wrote: »

I don't understand why the controller takes batteries, in this day and age.

• Advertisement

It's by far the best solution. I prefer it way more to my PS5 controller that I have to remember to plug in and charge (or even worse, the kids run it flat and don't tell me). Switch out rechargeable AA's and you have a full charge again in 10 seconds.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's by far the best solution. I prefer it way more to my PS5 controller that I have to remember to plug in and charge (or even worse, the kids run it flat and don't tell me). Switch out rechargeable AA's and you have a full charge again in 10 seconds.

I just leave it plugged in overnight... like my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My PS4 controller battery was shot after about 18 months and would only last at max 3-4 hours between charges. I'd to get a new controller because it.

I have the Xbox plug and charge kit since launch of the Xbox One and it still lasts 15+ hours between charges. If it ever does give in I don't need to replace the whole controller to get a new battery.

Couldn't be dealing with that hassle :P

TitianGerm wrote: »
    My PS4 controller battery was shot after about 18 months and would only last at max 3-4 hours between charges. I'd to get a new controller because it.

I have the Xbox plug and charge kit since launch of the Xbox One and it still lasts 15+ hours between charges. If it ever does give in I don't need to replace the whole controller to get a new battery.

That's a shame, my PS4 controller is still good to go. I guess our differing experiences have shaped our opinions on the subject.

I shall remain firmly in the lithium battery camp as a result of my experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I bought a play and charge kit for series X controller. Went back to my rechargeable AAs.

They last so much longer and it's no less convenient.

Dualsense battery seems every bit as crap as the dualshock 4, had hoped for a big improvement.

maximoose wrote: »
    I bought a play and charge kit for series X controller. Went back to my rechargeable AAs.

They last so much longer and it's no less convenient.

Dualsense battery seems every bit as crap as the dualshock 4, had hoped for a big improvement.

Really? I'm quite disappointed with the Xbox controller, it feels flimsy and cheap.

Christ, I'm so against the grain here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's a common complaint and maybe valid for some. I prefer batteries. I have a stock of rechargeables which rotate between kids toys, toothbrushes other bits that escape me and most imprortantly, xbox controllers. The Ikea batteries last for ages too. I didn't have to buy anything additional, there are always batteries ready to go and it takes 10 seconds to change them if and when needed.

Anyway, I believe batterygate has come and gone in the not distant enough past :D

theteal wrote: »
    It's a common complaint and maybe valid for some. I prefer batteries. I have a stock of rechargeables which rotate between kids toys, toothbrushes other bits that escape me and most imprortantly, xbox controllers. The Ikea batteries last for ages too. I didn't have to buy anything additional, there are always batteries ready to go and it takes 10 seconds to change them if and when needed.

I'll have to look into rechargeable batteries alright. This was my first Xbox so I didn't anticipate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Really? I'm quite disappointed with the Xbox controller, it feels flimsy and cheap.

I will say, the Xbox One controllers felt cheaper than the old 360 ones, every one I've touched (a grand pool of 5!) have all creaked with a little pressure applied. In saying that, I've not experienced a breakage (smidge of stick drift maybe). I've not handled those of the Series X yet.
    I'll have to look into rechargeable batteries alright. This was my first Xbox so I didn't anticipate it!
    Eneloop are the best but quite pricey. Ikea Ladda brand are a fairly close copy, probably from the same factory and are a fair bit cheaper.

I don't have an Xbox anymore but have a Series Controller for the PC and have had no issues so far. Only cost €25 as well on a deal with Amazon. Feels well made but not as good as my Elite. I managed to break the RB on that though when I dropped the controller down the stairs.

My right trigger on the DualSense isn't 100% anymore and fully expect it to completely go shortly. We've even a separate thread on the PS Forum for people with issues and before that was set up there was a good few people having similar issues in the main thread.

I don't have an Xbox anymore but have a Series Controller for the PC and have had no issues so far. Only cost €25 as well on a deal with Amazon. Feels well made but not as good as my Elite. I managed to break the RB on that though when I dropped the controller down the stairs.

My right trigger on the DualSense isn't 100% anymore and fully expect it to completely go shortly. We've even a separate thread on the PS Forum for people with issues and before that was set up there was a good few people having similar issues in the main thread.

Crap, I'll have to watch out for that. Controllers aren't great these days...

Crap, I'll have to watch out for that. Controllers aren't great these days...

Apparently all the controllers are susceptible to drift as well. On Xbox you can increase the dead zone on the controller through the app so you can offset it somewhat but I can't find anything similar on the PS5.

Apparently all the controllers are susceptible to drift as well. On Xbox you can increase the dead zone on the controller through the app so you can offset it somewhat but I can't find anything similar on the PS5.

I heard that the same company makes analog sticks for all three companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

All 3 controllers use the exact same sticks.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I watched this recently. Depressing that the sticks could essentially exceed their operating life after 400 hours of gameplay.

All 3 controllers use the exact same sticks.

Seriously? I find that very hard to believe, the switch has a very cheap and flimsy feel to it compared to xbox and ps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Because it gives you choice and over time battery loses its charge or can develop issues. At least with xbox controllers you can always swap it out. PS controllers are bricks, when battery dies on you.

I shall remain firmly in the lithium battery camp as a result of my experiences.

Xbox play and charge kit is a lithium battery if that's what you want. And when it loses its charge capacity you can replace it instead of replacing the whole controller.

Phil Spencer was asked about the controller and how it has less innovation this gen than the ds5. He made a good point that the xbox controller has alot of use in other fields outside of gaming that they have to keep in mind.

I know they use them to control drones in the military for example. Can't imagine them using a dual shock and having to keep a usb cable handy just in case.

Xbox play and charge kit is a lithium battery if that's what you want. And when it loses its charge capacity you can replace it instead of replacing the whole controller.

Phil Spencer was asked about the controller and how it has less innovation this gen than the ds5. He made a good point that the xbox controller has alot of use in other fields outside of gaming that they have to keep in mind.

I know they use them to control drones in the military for example. Can't imagine them using a dual shock and having to keep a usb cable handy just in case.

Hahaha, I guess most Xbox users are flying military drones with them, then.

:D

I suppose what bothers me is that I bought the console, and now I have to buy more products for a normal controller experience. I couldn't just get the full package like I did with PlayStation.

Look, I'm just saying agree to disagree, different tastes, etc. I'd rather there be a lithium battery. You're entitled to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I know others have pointed it out but having the choice of your own rechargeable batteries is amazing. It's not like Microsoft expect people to keep buying one-use Durcacell. No, it's for recharable batteries. Which gives you freedom and choice for a better experience.

For context:

PS4 controller has 1000mAh batteries. That's a pretty poor amount of power that I'd imagine after a year they deplete so much that you must charge them constantly. Then what do you do? Can you replace the battery? No.

A poor iPhone Pro Max battery has a 3969mAh battery (very poor for a premium phone) and my 2-year-old Xiaomi phone has an excellent 4000mAh battery for a budget phone. PS5's battery is 1560 mAh.

I have 3 rechargeable batteries packs (1 unit per controller) I bought for €25 that comes with a charge kit. They are 2,550mAh. That's pretty decent.

3 of them came as a pack, so I have one for my second controller and 2 I can keep swapping. I'm never charging a physical controller. Only swapping battery packs. It takes 15 seconds and I get to choose 2,500mAh batteries.

Other battery packs I found in Smyths were 1,500mAh or something, which isn't ideal.

My solution gives me about nearly 1000 mili-amp hours more than the PS5 controller.

01_%E7%9C%B8%E7%9B%AE%E5%8E%8B%E7%BC%A9.jpg

Not shipping to Ireland anymore but here's the Amazon link
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KS32LVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

I know others have pointed it out but having the choice of your own rechargeable batteries is amazing. It's not like Microsoft expect people to keep buying one-use Durcacell. No, it's for recharable batteries. Which gives you freedom and choice for a better experience.

For context:

PS4 controller has 1000mAh batteries. That's a pretty poor amount of power that I'd imagine after a year they deplete so much that you must charge them constantly. Then what do you do? Can you replace the battery? No.

A poor iPhone Pro Max battery has a 3969mAh battery (very poor for a premium phone) and my 2-year-old Xiaomi phone has an excellent 4000mAh battery for a budget phone. PS5's battery is 1560 mAh.

I have 3 rechargeable batteries packs (1 unit per controller) I bought for €25 that comes with a charge kit. They are 2,550mAh. That's pretty decent.

3 of them came as a pack, so I have one for my second controller and 2 I can keep swapping. I'm never charging a physical controller. Only swapping battery packs. It takes 15 seconds and I get to choose 2,500mAh batteries.

Other battery packs I found in Smyths were 1,500mAh or something, which isn't ideal.

My solution gives me about nearly 1000 mili-amp hours more than the PS5 controller.

01_%E7%9C%B8%E7%9B%AE%E5%8E%8B%E7%BC%A9.jpg

Not shipping to Ireland anymore but here's the Amazon link
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KS32LVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought 2 of these before Christmas, one for me. One for a present. They work great.

but don't ask me the running time because I don't count, I just change them out when need be, it really is a pro rather than a con to swap out.

I really don't understand the hate. I wish I could still do it with phones, it would live for a few years longer

Notdeco wrote: »
    I bought 2 of these before Christmas, one for me. One for a present. They work great.

but don't ask me the running time because I don't count, I just change them out when need be, it really is a pro rather than a con to swap out.

I really don't understand the hate. I wish I could still do it with phones, it would live for a few years longer

Hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just turned on my PS5 to find the controller nearly dead. For some reason it won't charge off the usb-c charger from my MacBook that I charge all my usb-c devices off either. I much prefer the AA batteries in the Xbox controller, far easier and cheaper in the long run when the batteries die and need replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just turned on my PS5 to find the controller nearly dead. For some reason it won't charge off the usb-c charger from my MacBook that I charge all my usb-c devices off either. I much prefer the AA batteries in the Xbox controller, far easier and cheaper in the long run when the batteries die and need replacing.

The Dualsense won't charge off any 65w charger such as for the Switch or a laptop.

Advertisement