Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars pricing introduction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Bixler3 wrote: »
    Exactly, just stop the charge after 45 minutes and then restart.

And basically hog it ad infinitum without any visual of other cars that might need it.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

And basically hog it ad infinitum without any visual of other cars that might need it.

Assuming no one else is waiting of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Of course! Am literally running laps past the station, won’t hog the charge point if there’s anyone waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As far as I know the system won't let you game the system like that. They'll recognise that it's a restart of the same session and bill you.

Yeah I think I remember this being a breach of conditions that can see someone being suspended or banned from the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Seth!

Hi,

Does any of you know if you would need to pay a parking fee if the charger (ESB) is on parking lot? There is a charger at the train station where normally you would need to pay for parking and it is a slow charger so I wouldn't want to sit in the car for hours.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Seth! wrote: »
    Hi,

Does any of you know if you would need to pay a parking fee if the charger (ESB) is on parking lot? There is a charger at the train station where normally you would need to pay for parking and it is a slow charger so I wouldn't want to sit in the car for hours.

Thanks

I had wondered this myself since they got rid of free charging, you're paying for the electricity so do you need to pay for parking too?

Well I had plugged in at a Luas park and ride where I usually charge when shopping at Aldi in the evenings with no hassle, but that car park is completely empty after 7pm and I reckon they just don't bother checking it after this time. This time I happened to be there during the day and as I was plugging in a parking inspector drove past checking reg plates. I asked him if I needed to pay to park if I was using the chargers, the answer was yes. I quickly unplugged and just parked in Aldi. I can't be sure about the the train stations as it could depend on the parking company but that's how it works at the Luas stops anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Seth!

I had wondered this myself since they got rid of free charging, you're paying for the electricity so do you need to pay for parking too?

Well I had plugged in at a Luas park and ride where I usually charge when shopping at Aldi in the evenings with no hassle, but that car park is completely empty after 7pm and I reckon they just don't bother checking it after this time. This time I happened to be there during the day and as I was plugging in a parking inspector drove past checking reg plates. I asked him if I needed to pay to park if I was using the chargers, the answer was yes. I quickly unplugged and just parked in Aldi. I can't be sure about the the train stations as it could depend on the parking company but that's how it works at the Luas stops anyway.

Cheers, this parking lot is operated by Apcoa possibly same as the Luas one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Seth! wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/faqs/can-i-park-my-electric-car-for-free-at-iarnrod-eir

The Luas ones require payment. Even the FCP at Stillorgan. I have seen cars clamped there in the pre-covid days. The stupid bit is that the minimum purchase is 4h.

Paid for parking is good, ensures the spaces are kept free for those that need them.

The same with paid parking in towns, if it was free then Locals will just use them all the time when they don't need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Paid for parking is good, ensures the spaces are kept free for those that need them

In the day yes, if parking were free you'd probably find all the spots parked in by assholes in Mercedes plug in hybrids who have plugged in but aren't actually charging. At night most of those park and rides are completely empty though. The one at Stillorgan is opposite some shops so very handy for charging up for 30-45 minutes while shopping but officially you need to pay for four hours parking to use them. Now I've never had an issue using them in the evening for short periods while I shop so maybe unofficially they're ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of paying for parking while charging generally its down to the owner of the parking space so it varies for every charger. In terms of railway car parks beware some car parks at train stations are not owned by Irish rail, even though they are next to a train station and look to be. Sometimes they are owned by county council. Often the rules for EVs are not signposted anywhere and there can be catches like "actively charging" or Max 2 hours with no signs. Your can can stop charging due to a faulty charge point and you may then get a parking ticket.

Often the rules are decided or changed at local council meetings and the rules are not listed on their websites. Even emailing the council or contacting the parking wardens can end up with conflicting answers

We really need a sign at each charger listing the rules, but until then updating plugshare app entries with local rules for each charger is only realistic way I know to share all the site specific rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

zg3409 wrote: »
    In terms of paying for parking while charging generally its down to the owner of the parking space so it varies for every charger. In terms of railway car parks beware some car parks at train stations are not owned by Irish rail, even though they are next to a train station and look to be. Sometimes they are owned by county council. Often the rules for EVs are not signposted anywhere and there can be catches like "actively charging" or Max 2 hours with no signs. Your can can stop charging due to a faulty charge point and you may then get a parking ticket.

Often the rules are decided or changed at local council meetings and the rules are not listed on their websites. Even emailing the council or contacting the parking wardens can end up with conflicting answers

We really need a sign at each charger listing the rules, but until then updating plugshare app entries with local rules for each charger is only realistic way I know to share all the site specific rules.

Or, just have the fee added to the charging fee, if it applies. One transaction, al in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Is there an overstay fee on the normal street chargers? I see people still hogging the chargers all day. Still cheaper than paying for parking in the city all day.

Edit: and how do you change to pay as you go? I don’t remember signing up to monthly billing. I’ve used public chargers 3x this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is no overstay fee for any of the AC chargers although ecars have said that’s just the way it is at the minute and could change

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You need to phone eCars to move to the PAYG option, you also need to top up your account by €20 as part of the process

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

Oh that is sneaky. Just got a monthly bill now too. No email in advance or even after, just a notification through ecars app. Haven't even used public charger all year....

Will have to call them later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

TBi wrote: »
    Is there an overstay fee on the normal street chargers? I see people still hogging the chargers all day. Still cheaper than paying for parking in the city all day.

Edit: and how do you change to pay as you go? I don’t remember signing up to monthly billing. I’ve used public chargers 3x this year.

There’s no overstay charge due to two things. One these chargers are destination chargers and expect people to be there a long time. Two in most council areas (Dublin Fingal etc.) you have to pay for parking as well as the charging, therefore not cheaper than just parking. It’s working reasonably well at present and in reality there should be multiple more destination chargers than there is at present to encourage. Overstay charges on fast charge points is much more logical so that’s where they are.

slave1 wrote: »
    There is no overstay fee for any of the AC chargers although ecars have said that’s just the way it is at the minute and could change

I hope they don’t change as these are destination chargers and most have parking charges also. Ps I don’t hog the charger but if someone arrives low and needs 6 hrs while they do the day in town or on the train it should not penalise them. From what I see they are no longer being abused since the charge fees came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

I hope they don’t change as these are destination chargers and most have parking charges also. Ps I don’t hog the charger but if someone arrives low and needs 6 hrs while they do the day in town or on the train it should not penalise them. From what I see they are no longer being abused since the charge fees came in.

"Destination charge" is Tesla terminology, I prefer not using it, but it's creeping in here from few posters here (Tesla people I guess).;)

For a ZOE owner 22 kW AC charger isn't really a destination charger, it will charge it in 1-2 hours, depending on the Zoe model. If you're charging 3 kW/hour or have a car parked in a hotel then yeah, it's a true "destination charger".

The best solution for AC/slow charging is the one used in most other markets - per min or per kWh & per min charging sometimes combined with cheaper rates for night time charging, all of which effectively discourage overstays and are fair.

A flat "Overstay fee" after a fixed time period is a nonsense for AC chargers, on the other hand, I agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I still think the term destination charging is useful, it's a handy way of expressing the difference between a charger that I got to to charge my car, and a charge point I use whilst doing something else.
    I do agree with you re a per min pricing for an AC charger :), and I say that having owned a car with a 16A charger, which meant public AC charging was purely an exercise in getting a premium parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

McGiver wrote:
    "Destination charge" is Tesla terminology, I prefer not using it, but it's creeping in here from few posters here (Tesla people I guess).

I've been using this term for years and was unaware it was brand specific. I've never even sat in a tesla, much less owned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How do you judge to go for membership or pay as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

The ones here are used by people for the free parking while they work in the city. Much cheaper than paying for parking. Even a 6 hour limit on these would deter them. Who needs 6 hours in town?

Gael23 wrote: »
    How do you judge to go for membership or pay as you go?
    There is 3.7c difference for the price of 1kWh membership vs pay as you go;
    4.6 quid cost of the subscription divided by 3.7c -> 124.32 kWh per month to get even.

As it is a yearly subscription multiply this by 12 and you get that you have to use 1500 kWh a year to be worth it.

In other way. In 45 mins at the 50kW charger you get at best about 37kWh
    So you need to charge around 4 times a month (124.32/37 =3.36) or better said once a week.

For standard chargers the difference is 3.8c which doesn't change much. At high powered ones the difference is of only 1.5c but they are in such small number. They can't be a factor in deciding subscription or payg

innrain wrote: »
    https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/faqs/can-i-park-my-electric-car-for-free-at-iarnrod-eir

The Luas ones require payment. Even the FCP at Stillorgan. I have seen cars clamped there in the pre-covid days. The stupid bit is that the minimum purchase is 4h.
    I was there last night and observed that APCOA moved from park by text to their app. APCOA connect Now minimum purchase is 1 day (4 quid). Progress :mad:

TBi wrote: »
    The ones here are used by people for the free parking while they work in the city. Much cheaper than paying for parking. Even a 6 hour limit on these would deter them. Who needs 6 hours in town?

Where are these based? Dublin is paid parking regardless of charging other than in train stations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There is 3.7c difference for the price of 1kWh membership vs pay as you go;
    4.6 quid cost of the subscription divided by 3.7c -> 124.32 kWh per month to get even.

As it is a yearly subscription multiply this by 12 and you get that you have to use 1500 kWh a year to be worth it.

In other way. In 45 mins at the 50kW charger you get at best about 37kWh
    So you need to charge around 4 times a month (124.32/37 =3.36) or better said once a week.

For standard chargers the difference is 3.8c which doesn't change much. At high powered ones the difference is of only 1.5c but they are in such small number. They can't be a factor in deciding subscription or payg

Does this take into account the €20 minimum top up for PAYG?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Does this take into account the €20 minimum top up for PAYG?
    I don't see how is that relevant. But for the sake of argument the 20 quid is money credited and not money spent. On the subscription model you spend €55.2 a year without even charging. On the pre-pay the €20 will be still there if you don't charge in a year. They have the option not to do that and just make an once-off transaction. At least this is what they say on the website

There are two Pay As You Go payment options:
    Pay As You Go:
    Make a once off transaction at any ESB fast charge point or via the ecar connectapp.
    Pre-Pay:
    Purchase pre-paid credit with a registered account on our website our via the ecar connectapp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't see how is that relevant. But for the sake of argument the 20 quid is money credited and not money spent. On the subscription model you spend €55.2 a year without even charging. On the pre-pay the €20 will be still there if you don't charge in a year. They have the option not to do that and just make an once-off transaction. At least this is what they say on the website

There are two Pay As You Go payment options:
    Pay As You Go:
    Make a once off transaction at any ESB fast charge point or via the ecar connectapp.
    Pre-Pay:
    Purchase pre-paid credit with a registered account on our website our via the ecar connectapp.

That’s all true, it’s really only this first year I was thinking of, but as you say the credit is used anyway.

Advertisement