Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think I've seen it before when I've looked at their Twitter page but the DUP seem to be suddenly retweeting loads of tweets from OnThisDayTheIRA about various sectarian murders...
    https://twitter.com/duponline

Mad. They've also been pretty quiet on the recent 2 episodes of the excellent Spotlight series, The Troubles. They did tweet and mention it elsewhere after the first episode or two, but nothing since. Might just be coincidental that the first parts were about the IRA and the more recent ones about loyalist terrorism and collusion with British forces.

Edit: James O'Brien just played Ruth Patterson's reaction to hearing the GFA was voted for apropos of what Wilson just said re the GFA. It was this he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I don't think I've seen it before when I've looked at their Twitter page but the DUP seem to be suddenly retweeting loads of tweets from OnThisDayTheIRA about various sectarian murders...

They always do that

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    They always do that
    Tweeting screenshots of some of their juicy recently deleted tweets in reply would be apt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ah perfidious Albion 100 years and counting of talking out of both sides of their mouths.

since last week Johnson and his team have been telling Leo and the Europeans they will agree to A,B C, and D. the EU say great now send us over that on paper.
    when the eu get it its A, B(- clause A2 + par3a) c is completely gone and replaced by T and D (- sub section 3 to be replaced with a new subsection 3 asap).

Both sides confirm that talks are ongoing but there are matters to be agreed.
    the EU send it back saying this is not want was agreed and is unacceptable.
    the UK repeat the process only with different stuff missing and/or inserted.

Quite frankly, the Unionists have been in retreat ever since direct rule was imposed on NI at the start of the troubles.

They see this as another erosion of their power, so will resist at every step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Tony just saying on RTE Radio that he got a text saying "its game on".

Man is a legend for getting the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Mary Lou is tweeting stuff like this all the time..
    https://twitter.com/upperbannsf/status/1184363253645922304?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

joe316 wrote: »

Yep. And the DUP onboard apparently :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yep. And the DUP onboard apparently

That must have been some "subvention" they promised the DUP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not sure I like the sound of that.

I'll need to see the detail on this consent section. But it had better be that consent to deviate from the agreement is required on both sides and not that consent of both sides is required to maintain adherence to the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yep. And the DUP onboard apparently :eek:.

Anyone else smell rat?

joe316 wrote: »

And his second source saying the DUP have dropped their objections to whatever the Consent issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,899 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Put aside their objections' according to Connelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

trellheim wrote: »

Sometimes maybe Tony should zip it for the greater good. Delaying a story from the general public for a few hours isn’t the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And they're overboard again. I'm sure Michel Barnier must be making a sizeable dent in his desk with his head around now. Interesting that Arlene is acknowledging that nationalists exist. And might even have a say. Mary Lou must be feeling a bit dizzy (probably like Barnier except without the dented desk),

Hurrache wrote: »
    And his second source saying the DUP have dropped their objections to whatever the Consent issue is.

FFS, edit: Snap to those in before me

What a charade.

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1184447621106143234

I somehow don't really believe it when Arlene states that she wants a deal that nationalists can agree to.

I don't think she cares that much for what nationalists would like to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Like she gives a damn about nationalists. The only reason she mentions them is because their unionist veto got called out, so if they are to have any say themmuns have to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Tony has been more trustworthy than Arlene throughout this saga, so, aye I don't believe a word she says. Trying to manage expectations and save face I would reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Bemusing that this 11th hour, Brexit deal in the balance, Arlene takes the time to respond to media speculation on Twitter.

Just about sums up her 'statesman' credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If they do agree...step forward Lady Arlene

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Did the UK side tell the EU that they had the DUP on board even though they didn’t? News of a breakthrough leaks out, Arlene Foster reacts as you’d expect and Boris can claim he tried but the DUP are the ones preventing a deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Maybe that tweet from Arlene will be deleted like the other odd 8000 tweets 5 dup mps were busy deleating the other nite in releation to brexit.they are irrelevant at this stage and should just be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's all about getting ducks in a row while not being seen to cave in.

I'm not up to speed with detail but it sounds as if this deal is going to be a softer Brexit than the one May couldn't get through. Am I right or wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I have a feeling the DUP would agree to lots of stuff if ONLY NO-ONE WOULD EVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN.

The second anyone mentions anything they put on their (ULSTER SAYS NO)vercoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Maybe that tweet from Arlene will be deleted like the other odd 8000 tweets 5 dup mps were busy deleating the other nite in releation to brexit.they are irrelevant at this stage and should just be ignored.

Unfortunately they still represent a twenty vote swing in what is shaping up to be a tight vote. They don't have the same clout as before but still have some influence. Mores the pity.

• Advertisement

Did the UK side tell the EU that they had the DUP on board even though they didn’t? News of a breakthrough leaks out, Arlene Foster reacts as you’d expect and Boris can claim he tried but the DUP are the ones preventing a deal?

They may be able to get the deal ahead without them if they have the ERG clowns and some from Labour on board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement