Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year on from Ms Cash's impassioned speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I think you're missing my point.

The poster was complaining that the present was for only 1 of the kids - i'm just saying that's how birthday presents work.

I think anyone that keeps a horse in a housing estate should be shot, It's not in any way a suitable location. Although more so for the other residents sake than the horses, they'll be perfectly fine.

A horse in a semi d back garden last night in the pouring rain was perfectly fine? Where did the horse shelter? I hope you don’t have any pets. This is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

splinter65 wrote: »
    A horse in a semi d back garden last night in the pouring rain was perfectly fine? Where did the horse shelter? I hope you don’t have any pets. This is disgusting.

Give a read through the thread. We already had someone fervently and vehemently defending her decision to keep a pony in her back lawn.

I thought those houses were still empty as the county council wouldn't provide stables or land or both, I can't remember.

The whole shower should be moved on and put other needy families in the houses.

Only in ireland could 1.7 million in houses sit idle while waiting for Travellers to make up their mind will they stay or will they go

The deal has been agreed with the houses and the horses. The horses will be staying on the bridge with proper stables.
    The houses are still empty because the council won’t hand over the keys until Travellers parked illegally on the side of the road in front of the houses are gone.
    They are refusing to move until they too are given houses and stables and land.
    It was going back to court on Wednesday this week but I haven’t heard how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Most recent articles on it:

https://extra.ie/2019/09/26/news/irish-news/traveller-build-site-tipperary

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/travellers-committal-application-adjourned-for-a-week-1.4030137
    the couple was getting power from a cable that went across the road that was linked into an ESB unit. This was particularly hazardous and there was a risk of electrocution and fire, counsel said.

“Why won’t the council give me a house,” she said, adding that bringing her before the court and or sending her to prison was a “waste of the government’s money.”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Can't get over that article.

"‘I know I am living in an unsafe place,’ she said. ‘I am on a bend in the road in a caravan. A car could easily come in and kill us.’ She said she, her husband William and their young baby had been offered a house in what she described as a drug-ridden estate in Thurles, and a place near another Traveller family, who had been involved in a 40-year feud with her husband’s relatives."

"She went on: ‘I’m not asking for a mansion on a hilltop. I just want a suitable home… I would pay rent.

‘…I know there will be people looking in disgust, thinking, “I am working day in, day out for a mortgage.”

"‘But, I’m not being racist, they are taking in all different types. All I want is a house.’ Judge Richard Humphreys observed that the ‘system doesn’t really work like that’ and advised Mrs McCarthy to obtain legal advice urgently, ‘because your liberty is in jeopardy here’."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's mad alright

Loving the part of not taking a house near another Traveller family, who had been involved in a 40-year feud with her husband’s relatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

piplip87 wrote: »
    It's not traveller bashing. The fact this woman gets over 50k a year in benefits while having to pay maybe 160 quid a month on rent, medical bills all paid etc.... For anybody working to be left with that after rent/mortgage/medical bills they would be earning in excess of 70k.... The fact she is better off financially than thousands of people working is wrong. Every effort should be made to high light how unequal Irish Society really is to the middle class

As the median salary is 36,000 euro, it might be millions unfortunately.

john4321 wrote: »
    Can't get over that article.

"‘I know I am living in an unsafe place,’ she said. ‘I am on a bend in the road in a caravan. A car could easily come in and kill us.’ She said she, her husband William and their young baby had been offered a house in what she described as a drug-ridden estate in Thurles, and a place near another Traveller family, who had been involved in a 40-year feud with her husband’s relatives."

"She went on: ‘I’m not asking for a mansion on a hilltop. I just want a suitable home… I would pay rent.

‘…I know there will be people looking in disgust, thinking, “I am working day in, day out for a mortgage.”

"‘But, I’m not being racist, they are taking in all different types. All I want is a house.’ Judge Richard Humphreys observed that the ‘system doesn’t really work like that’ and advised Mrs McCarthy to obtain legal advice urgently, ‘because your liberty is in jeopardy here’."

I know Elizabeth “lily” very well and she is easily one of the most hard headed people I’ve ever known.
    He’d ( the husband) be gone out of there in the morning only for her.
    They were living quite happily and comfortably in that mobile in his mothers yard about 4 miles from there until she realized about 12 months ago that a sister of hers that she doesn’t talk to was getting one of the 6 houses.
    Insanely jealous she wedged their mobile onto the already overcrowded bridge along with yet another insanely jealous sister (Winnie).
    The reference to the family from Galway is concerning a cousin of her husband (whose getting one of the 6 houses) who was reared on the bridge and only lived in Galway for a couple of years before returning with husband and 5 kids about 3 years ago.
    The old woman she refers to is her husbands granny.
    The single man is her husbands uncle recently separated with 5 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Engage children in specific educational programmes at a young age, and diversion programmes (such as working with horses and doing associated apprenticeships) later in their education.

At present, the educational system is passively allowing traveller children to drift, and a new focus has to be more prescriptive, whether that be by mandating participation for children with specific socio economic problems in their family background, or financial incentives.

That is pretty unfair on the education system.

The traveller culture doesn't place any value on education, especially for girls, and they are removed from education as soon as possible. Very few make it as far as Junior Cert and they are married off at 16. When the education system follows up, they are told she is gone to stay with her aunt, or somesuch nonsense and the frustrated education welfare officers are stymied.

Traveller culture is horribly misogynist, nearly on a par with some African and Islamic cultures. It is incumbent on traveller leaders to lead on these issues and erase the misogynist and homophobic elements of their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

blanch152 wrote: »

The traveller culture doesn't place any value on education, especially for girls, and they are removed from education as soon as possible. Very few make it as far as Junior Cert and they are married off at 16. When the education system follows up, they are told she is gone to stay with her aunt, or somesuch nonsense and the frustrated education welfare officers are stymied.

Traveller culture is horribly misogynist, nearly on a par with some African and Islamic cultures. It is incumbent on traveller leaders to lead on these issues and erase the misogynist and homophobic elements of their culture.

Isn't it amazing though that they all know how to claim welfare and wouldn't miss it in a heartbeat....

They know every single method, trick and scam going.

If the mother and father want kids allowance then kids must be in school.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

The traveller culture doesn't place any value on education

He's been told, he just isn't interested in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The traveller culture doesn't place any value on education, especially for girls, and they are removed from education as soon as possible. Very few make it as far as Junior Cert and they are married off at 16.

Travellers take their children out of school at an early age to ensure they don't become attracted to non-Travellers and develop notions about marrying outside the insular cult in which they were raised. If Traveller children went on to third level and continued to mingle with and pair off with their peers, Traveller culture would soon disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Travellers take their children out of school at an early age to ensure they don't become attracted to non-Travellers and develop notions about marrying outside the insular cult in which they were raised. If Traveller children went on to third level and continued to mingle with and pair off with their peers, Traveller culture would soon disappear.

I'm not fully sure but I think Margaret said it was because she didn't want her kids future ruined by drugs because they are so common in the settled community.

... is this you trying to defend inbreeding, or are you joking?

I'm not fully sure but I think Margaret said it was because she didn't want her kids future ruined by drugs because they are so common in the settled community.

As if there are no drugs in the Traveller community!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

god forbid one of her sons would get a leaving cert and spend some of his sallary on hash, much better he marries his cousin at 16 and beats her round the place because of chronic alcoholism.

This ^^^. Social media and smart phones and modern celebrity culture are doing terrible damage anyway.
    The Kardashian’s do what they want wear what they want have sex with anyone they fancy and have babies with no husbands. And there are no consequences.
    Why then does Mary-Ellen have to marry willie and go and live with him in a mobile on a halting site?

PostWoke wrote: »
    ... is this you trying to defend inbreeding, or are you joking?

I'm not defending it.

I believe that Traveller children should be encouraged to continue their education and be free to marry whomever they choose, ideally at an age when they are mature enough to make a free and informed choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

splinter65 wrote: »

I don't know where you're getting that i somehow support this?

Horses don't belong in housing estates, end of. Mainly because they are a danger to other people - obviously the damn thing needs a shelter!

Wonder where the horse is tonight, in this heavy rain.

Serious storm on our way Thursday too.

I'll bet aul' Marge has this all under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Margaret never said she was poor so I suppose she may have some form of accommodation for the horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Probably has it in the local Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It’s only a pony - probably in the house - the kids are probably in a mobile in the driveway

Margaret never said she was poor so I suppose she may have some form of accommodation for the horse!

Never thought she was, sure she's been on the scratch claiming for several kids for years, free house too! She could lend me money!!

But unless its' free and arranged for I'm not sure Ca$$$h has the wherewithal to be honest.

Another rainy day. Poor horsey.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Probably has it in the local Garda Station.

Pigs, horses, maybe a rat or two, quite the animal farm they'll have there!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pigs, horses, maybe a rat or two, quite the animal farm they'll have there!

2 wheels good no wheels bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

My youngest has asked for a giraffe for Christmas. I can fit a small giraffe in my semi-d garden, but I hope she doesnt look for a rhino or gnu next year

I worry about that poor pony in the storm

Chinasea wrote: »
    I worry about that poor pony in the storm

It’s the councils fault for not supplying her with stables etc as per her culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I'll never forget the fawning media coverage, sold us a sob story without bothering to dig a little deeper into her background. As a consequence, my trust in RTÉ was eroded completely.

You had trust in RTE?:confused:

2 wheels good no wheels bad

Welfare 4 life good 40 hour work weeks bad! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Looks like the fella got out of prison or from working hard on the oil rigs in the North sea.

494690.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement