Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year on from Ms Cash's impassioned speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tuxy wrote: »
    The level of social welfare would make no difference to how many children women like Cash have. She is a traveller and must follow traveller tradition, her daughter will be expected to do the same.

Yeah , the family will be growing by 1 a year every year from her 16th birthday onwards. Mammy will probably still be popping them out too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What a sad life traveller women have, to aspire to be nothing more than a 'brood mare'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The level of social welfare would make no difference to how many children women like Cash have. She is a traveller and must follow traveller tradition, her daughter will be expected to do the same.

I disagree. If she didn’t get child allowance and child benefit for her 5th child then there wouldn’t have been a 6th child.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What a sad life traveller women have, to aspire to be nothing more than a 'brood mare'.

Cash seems happy enough, has money to buy cars, caravans, horses, plenty of alcohol, expensive dresses and suits for kids, dresses for herself, nights out drinking, buying fancy ornaments and much more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Yes but how exactly do you stop them from having more babies?
    Because this will not stop such people.
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the increase in crime rates and children in foster care growing up to resent society. Your "solution" costs more in the long run.

You can't stop them - we just stop paying for them.

If we didn't pay for them, they wouldn't have them - they do it for money and nothing else. What's the difference in having 4 kids or 7 kids? About 500 euros a mth.

If you want kids, pay for them - that should be the doctrine - not sending me your babbies and we will cough up the cash - we need a change in perception, nationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You can't stop them - we just stop paying for them.

If we didn't pay for them, they wouldn't have them - they do it for money and nothing else. What's the difference in having 4 kids or 7 kids? About 500 euros a mth.

If you want kids, pay for them - that should be the doctrine - not sending me your babbies and we will cough up the cash - we need a change in perception, nationally.

This.

There has got to be some personal accountability here. I wouldn't dream of helping bringing children into this world unless I had the means to support them.

Honestly, it's the kids here I feel sorry for the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

This.

There has got to be some personal accountability here. I wouldn't dream of helping bringing children into this world unless I had the means to support them.

The kids are the totally innocent victims of both the parents and the system here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This.

You've a high opinion of her if you think she wouldn't steal to get the same things.
    Who looks after the kids when both parents are in prison?
    splinter65 wrote: »
    The kids are the totally innocent victims of both the parents and the system here.

And the will also be carbon copies of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You've a high opinion of her if you think she wouldn't steal to get the same things.
    Who looks after the kids when both parents are in prison?

And the will also be carbon copies of their parents.

I never said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭randd1

So, they can pick and choose what part of traveller culture suits them?

When I was growing up in 60’s Ireland, travellers had pride. They only asked for what they needed. Milk for the childer or a few sods of turf for the fire. Nowadays they take what they want and expect the robbin government to supply the essential. Horses were for pulling the caravan. Not for sulky racing.

A lot of them had trades and jobs of some description. When my father was younger, anytime the travellers came around they would call around to their house and see if there was any work needed doing. I remember him telling me that they halped my grandfather for the day put up posts around the field he had. My grandfather didn't have any money, but he had a good few hen coops and gave them 10 young hens. He said they nearly crying with delight, they were pure delighted because they'd have plenty of eggs going forward, and the odd chicken as well.

I remember him telling em the reason they were called tinkers because they repaired pots and pans and other metal objects or were coopers and fixed barrels or urns.
    They got the name knackers because a handy job for them around the country was helping remove remove dead animals from farms on their carts for the knackers yard.
    The women were known for their knitting, very often they would sell clothes for half nothing.
    And then there were lads that owned the business. My grandmother only ever went to the one shop for 50 years for rugs, carpets, curtains, bed clothes etc and it was owned and ran by a traveller family, 30 miles away. The head lad always insisted on a customer getting a cup of tea, and women always got biscuits with it. A lot of people in the South East would go there.

The reason Travellers would generally camp at the side of the road or in a field was because they would have had permission from the local farmer to go on the land and draw from a nearby well, most people didn't mind them being at the side of the road at all, and the farmers would rarely have trouble from those they let use the wells (the odd chicken going missing).

Thay had nothing, but they had pride and they worked, or at least tried to work. There's still a few like that, but they're most definitley in the elder generation bracket.

When you look at the lads nowadays, with every oppportunity they're given, could you imagine what the travellers of 40/50/60 years ago would give for what the lads these days have handed to them on a plate only to shi*e all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

splinter65 wrote: »

Unfortunately they don't stay innocent for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Unfortunately they don't stay innocent for long.

Maybe people having that attitude about them barely out of the gate is a contributing factor?

Maybe people having that attitude about them barely out of the gate is a contributing factor?

Maybe their parents keeping them out of school and actively involving them as lookouts and assistance in criminality from a young age is the single largest contributing factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Maybe their parents keeping them out of school and actively involving them as lookouts and assistance in criminality from a young age is the single largest contributing factor.

I was asking that maybe having a preconceived attitude about them from the get go might be a contributing factor?

Yes, to your point any criminal family having their kids actively involved in criminality would likely lead them to criminality. Nothing to do with my comment mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

It's still up, I got her address from her page just now. Google images does confirm that the poney is in her back garden in that image.

It's quite scary that you go to that extreme. :confused:

pinkyeye wrote: »
    It's quite scary that you go to that extreme. :confused:

I too am sometimes shocked that anyone would read a post from facebook.
    I was curious if she would actually put a pony in her back garden, I can now save people the time searching, she did put a pony in her back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭WealthyB

Breath in.... Put a cap on a person's combined benefits, based off their contribution into the system previous. link social welfare to previous salary sliding down. Those who are fit to work but who've never contributed get a capped base rate only. Weed out the disability scammers of which there's tonnes, bring in child support for these absent father's too.

That would start addressing the culture of dependency and while some might say it's punitive, I'd say it's progressive..

Perhaps. In some cases. In other cases, it could be used as fuel to boost their efforts to prove society wrong about them.

Regardless, they have the opportunities to escape the culture they were born into. Few avail of these opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    Did she fart out any more children in the last year? At this stage she’d hardly notice.

At this point banging her would be like throwing a hotdog down a subway tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Demonique wrote: »
    At this point banging her would be like throwing a hotdog down a subway tunnel

No wonder the husband is getting it elsewhere....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Cash is no different to other traveller women , they all have as many children as possible to get as much welfare as possible for her and the hubby to have lots of cash for themselves before they top it up with a few personal injury claims , burgularies, drug dealing etc ... travellers are the new rich in many towns and villages across rural Ireland without ever working a day in their lives .

You could argue travellers are the most intelligent people in Ireland , never work and have lots more disposable cash and as good a house as the couple across the road where both are breaking their chops at work and they can’t afford to have children !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Cash is no different to other traveller women , they all have as many children as possible to get as much welfare as possible for her and the hubby to have lots of cash for themselves before they top it up with a few personal injury claims , burgularies, drug dealing etc ... travellers are the new rich in many towns and villages across rural Ireland without ever working a day in their lives .

You could argue travellers are the most intelligent people in Ireland , never work and have lots more disposable cash and as good a house as the couple across the road where both are breaking their chops at work and they can’t afford to have children !

when you consider what the ambitions of travellers are , they live in an ideal country and receive one hell of a sweet deal

no responsibility to gain employment
    cradle to grave benefits
    no consequence for truancy from school
    no consequence for littering
    no consequence for animal cruelty

why on earth would they want to change ? , the cries of discrimination are a careful tactic to both divert attention away from the endless amount of criminality they are involved in and a sure fire way to blanket themselves from any demands for more responsibility , very clever people , all the right people eating out of their hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Maybe I'm a narcissistic arsehole, but I don't believe in handouts (unless someone is actually ill, and cany help themselves. You make your bed, you lie in it. You make your own way in life. Work for what you want. If you can't afford to live in Dublin, tough! Move. Just because your family lives there, does not entitle you to live there.

LuasSimon wrote: »

Do you think the very high suicide rate amongst travellers is because they are too intelligent to live in normal society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Do you think the very high suicide rate amongst travellers is because they are too intelligent to live in normal society?

High suicide rates across lots of Irish society , it’s very hard to get accurate picture of travellers rates when most of them don’t fill in census forms to get accurate numbers -percentages etc .
    Taking up employment should surely be something traveller groups should promote to encourage good mental health rather than always having the hand out .

thats a multiple factor scenario

1) their own community not accepting members who are gay or don't want to fit a stereotypical lifestyle
    2) their own community causing fueds or other violent outcomes out of the breakdown of relationships and the fact that a lot of them commit to their wives at 16-17 years old.
    3) a lack of mental health care or any education and a reluctance to access any services that have them in the 'settled community'

its a problem but one completely of their own making and up to themselves to mdoernise attitudes and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Reflection of the rigidity of their culture and lack of tolerance towards what is perceived as different

Or have access to drugs and alcohol?

I think that many travellers have lost their way. They want the best of both worlds and can’t cope with the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I see she's back with the boyfriend now she's settled into her new house.

Plus ça change....

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I see she's back with the boyfriend now she's settled into her new house.

Plus ça change....

You mean the man she has been married to since about 16 years old?
    Travellers don't divorce so she has no choice if she wants more kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement