Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls don't cycle! Guess whos fault it is?

Comments

Guy Person wrote: »
    This thread will go on for a good while yet I reckon. It has too many After Hours/IMHO ingredients for it to die out this soon.
    Needs more Muslims, travellers, and the dramatic return of everyone's favourite soap-opera queen, Pamela Izevbhekai

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, way more drugs in the former. Allegedly...
    They're still machines.

The stamina and strength needed to even complete a 3 week grand tour, never mind winning it.

Iron men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Guy Person wrote: »
    This thread will go on for a good while yet I reckon. It has too many After Hours/IMHO ingredients for it to die out this soon. Also one particular poster has shown up who will argue the minutiae of topics for months on end and enough people will respond to him to keep it going.
    Chin up cnocbui, a lot more arguing still to come ;)

do actually make any contributions at all apart from trying to derail threads you deem to be wrongthink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

do actually make any contributions at all apart from trying to derail threads you deem to be wrongthink?
    Any post to a thread is a contribution. I don't think you know what derail means. I don't know what wrongthink means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Needs more Muslims, travellers, and the dramatic return of everyone's favourite soap-opera queen, Pamela Izevbhekai

Once it gets the fully house, onto the Radio forum it goes.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

citizen_smith.jpg
    It was actually a quote from Eldridge Cleaver.

18-CTEK-1098-eldridge-cleaver-613x463.jpg
    But thanks for the reminder of how the establishment in the UK worked hard to undermine any hint of left wing thinking in the 70s. It worked too.

I’ll be hung out to dry for this but sure isn’t everything men’s fault now? Isn’t it up to men to fix every societal wrong that they are responsible for.

This third wave feminism nonsense is far too happy to firmly place women into victim hood.

Such a nonsense article. How many men (even the oaf ones) would risk wolf whistling a teenage girl on a bike these days? Very few I’d wager because they know before the whistle is done they’ll be on Facebook and vigilantes will be at their door.

The lack of young female cyclists I’d expect is far more to do with having to wear safety gear, their parents not allowing them because it’s not safe because our roads are not suitable for the most part for cyclists and thirdly they’re teenagers, most are far too lazy to hop up on their bikes in the rain when they can be carted to school in the comfort of the family car while retaining their polished brows and no helmet hair.

TLDR: It’s not men’s fault.

Did you actually watch the RTE report and listen to the girls themselves talking about their experiences? Are you suggesting that the group of girls are all liars?

is_that_so wrote: »
    On the face of it I see very few girls at primary level on bikes anyway, aside from very small ones, so is it really an activity that girls embrace for a young age?
    A good few seem to have embraced it in Galway, when given the right supports.

Not really. Tastes changed. Stereotypes still exist in entertainment today.
    Studios cottoned on to that fact fairly quickly back in the day and then followed suit.

I don't have any daughters, sisters, or nieces and even if I did, I wouldn't feel any need to 'change'. I don't cat call women because I'm not some thirsty cretin.

What I would say to any daughter that I may have in the future is that there are any amounts of ****ty people out there (both sexes) who will try to get a rise out of you and that it is always important to rise above that ****e with dignity. By doing so I'd imagine you are teaching your child some resilience which will be essential to their overall development and survival into adult years.

You can educate in schools and collages all you want but ****ty human behaviors have always been here and they will never go away.
    The issue isn't whether you cat call women. The issue is whether women get cat called. Based on the feedback from the schoolgirl cyclists, these problems still exist. And you're planning on enabling it and blaming the victims for not being tough - classy work.

But sure with this logic it would only take one of two people to be 'harassed' during any everyday activity.
    Or if women girls have body image issues they don't engage in activities etc

Swimming -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11378695/Body-image-worries-make-half-a-million-women-give-up-swimming.html

Tennis -

https://slate.com/human-interest/2015/07/beauty-standards-and-tennis-players-women-still-aren-t-supposed-to-look-strong.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/14/serena-williams-female-athletes-femininity-police

When you contrast how men and women in general view themselves most women view themselves as overweight, most men view themselves as normal weight

https://jeatdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40337-017-0163-1

I feel that the problem is the mindset of many women or girls they are very insecure in themselves. Have thin-skins whereas a man would brush off insults for the most part, or laugh it off.
    However I notice these days this attitude 'of poor me' has even permeated into some of those males in thier 20's and early 30's who like to tell the world that they are 'in a bad place' etc no matter how minor. And build it up into something major.

To make the whole thing into a harassing women angle is odd to me.
    Anyone can be harassed regardless of gender, colour and sexual preference etc - anywhere. You would swear there are gangs of men waiting for a chance to shout abuse girls on bikes at every opportunity

Let's be honest here there is a double standards with many women it is often joked by women that if a 'hot guy' chats up a woman she views it as flirting.
    If to put it politely 'less than hot guy' chats up a woman it can be viewed as harassment. :D

The real problem to me is that women seem to be struggling for a 'battle' to fight these days so have to invent a 'cause' however minimal. So we get silly articles littered with contradictions all over the place like the OP mentioned.
    Self image - being more interested in how they look on the bicycle/not stylish or whether they might look bit sweaty.
    It is far easier for women or girls to blame another group 'men', rather then look at thier own mindset which is at the root of the issue.
    Yet these are the same women and girls who get drawn into a competitive social media (between each other) looking for likes and comments on instragram and facebook posts. With photo filters and so on adding to the fakery of it all.
    Cycling to school isn't a sport, like swimming or tennis. It's cycling to school - a normal daily activity. Again, have a listen to the words of the schoolgirls in the RTE clip and tell again that the problem is that the guys who harassed them weren't hot enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Or they could just develop a thick skin?

Women have been cat called for aeons. Does it make it right? No. But it is something that happens. Always will.

is this seriously the answer you're suggesting, to women receiving unwanted attention? 'just get used to it'?

my wife tried jogging to keep fit, and gave it up because of consistent comment from the ****ing mouthbreathers who were probably 'just having the craic, wha?'
    when she was in school (a couple of decades ago), she and her friends were *regularly* catcalled by grown men while in their uniforms.
    a friend is a teacher in a girls school in dublin. about a year ago, i asked her how many girls in her school cycled in, thinking the issues would be safety concerns and unifroms - but the topic at hand was the answer she gave. they don't cycle in because of the unwanted attention that brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Did you actually watch the RTE report and listen to the girls themselves talking about their experiences? Are you suggesting that the group of girls are all liars?

Hi Andrew! :)

I wondered how long it would take you to saddle and mount the high horse.

Yes I did see the report. Does being that patronising come naturally? or do you receive ongoing training to keep yourself tip top of the leaderboard?

I have teens myself Andrew, girls and boys, and I wouldn’t exactly be calling pandemic levels of teenage girl on bike harassment because 4 teen girls on the news said so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

<<snip>>

<snip> - no longer relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

No sexist generalisations. Post removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

But thanks for the reminder of how the establishment in the UK worked hard to undermine any hint of left wing thinking in the 70s. It worked too.

A good few seem to have embraced it in Galway, when given the right supports.

The issue isn't whether you cat call women. The issue is whether women get cat called. Based on the feedback from the schoolgirl cyclists, these problems still exist. And you're planning on enabling it and blaming the victims for not being tough - classy work.

Cycling to school isn't a sport, like swimming or tennis. It's cycling to school - a normal daily activity. Again, have a listen to the words of the schoolgirls in the RTE clip and tell again that the problem is that the guys who harassed them weren't hot enough.

I'm a total bastard Andrew what can I say?

Hi Andrew! :)

I wondered how long it would take you to saddle and mount the high horse.

Yes I did see the report. Does being that patronising come naturally? or do you receive ongoing training to keep yourself tip top of the leaderboard?

I have teens myself Andrew, girls and boys, and I wouldn’t exactly be calling pandemic levels of teenage girl on bike harassment because 4 teen girls on the news said so.

They didn't say it was 'pandemic'. They said it happens often enough to put them off cycling.

I'm a bit unclear on your position - are you saying they are liars?

I'm a total bastard Andrew what can I say?
    You could say something constructive, something that might take us towards a solution maybe?

is this seriously the answer you're suggesting, to women receiving unwanted attention? 'just get used to it'?

my wife tried jogging to keep fit, and gave it up because of consistent comment from the ****ing mouthbreathers who were probably 'just having the craic, wha?'
    when she was in school (a couple of decades ago), she and her friends were *regularly* catcalled by grown men while in their uniforms.
    a friend is a teacher in a girls school in dublin. about a year ago, i asked her how many girls in her school cycled in, thinking the issues would be safety concerns and unifroms - but the topic at hand was the answer she gave. they don't cycle in because of the unwanted attention that brings.

Yes it is.

Deal with it. The world is a ****ty place to live in sometimes.

Your wife shouldn't have quit her jogging and just passed no heed. People like that want to get a reaction and know they can easily wind up. Or better still, you go with her next time sure and have a word with these lads.

Honestly I think some folk here have had seriously sheltered upbringings or something. That's life.

They didn't say it was 'pandemic'. They said it happens often enough to put them off cycling.

You could say something constructive, something that might take us towards a solution maybe?

You're simply looking for an argument.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Or better still, you go with her next time sure and have a word with these lads.
    wow.
    so i have to go with her every time she would go out jogging? that's your solution? and you think that would help anyway? 'dear sir, i think your language is uncouth and unwanted, and you should have greater respect for the fairer sex'?

to be fair, you're an optimist, and that's to be welcomed.

but get this - she doesn't *have* to go out jogging, and shouldn't *have* to put up with that ****. so she found other ways of keeping fit. but she shouldn't have to.

i'm just a little slack jawed that so much response to the testimonies of the women in the original report and the other posters who have reported similar here is not to get angry or find fault with the reptiles (who yes, are men), but to find fault with the *women* who change the way they go about their day so they're less exposed to these scumbags.

and i'm enjoying the irony of people who take offence at men being blamed (not necessarily saying that's you, per se), but then tell women that they should grow a thicker skin and not take offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I didn’t say they said it was a pandemic. I said I wouldn’t say it was/is.

Nor did I call them liars. Feel free to rely on anecdotal evidence of a handful of teens if you wish.

Take your words out of my mouth and dismount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

cnocbui wrote: »
    The anti helmet thing of a lot of cyclists on boards is ridiculous. ...... Anti-helmeters are thick, and even thicker after they get their deserved head injury.

deserved head Injury......you should be proud of yourself....so cyclist deserve to be run over do they...it should be normal....and no helmet means you actually deserve it!!!!!
    You are a disgrace and an embarrassment, nobody deserves this

wow.
    so i have to go with her every time she would go out jogging? that's your solution? and you think that would help anyway? 'dear sir, i think your language is uncouth and unwanted, and you should have greater respect for the fairer sex'?

to be fair, you're an optimist, and that's to be welcomed.

but get this - she doesn't *have* to go out jogging, and shouldn't *have* to put up with that ****. so she found other ways of keeping fit. but she shouldn't have to.

i'm just a little slack jawed that so much response to the testimonies of the women in the original report and the other posters who have reported similar here is not to get angry or find fault with the reptiles (who yes, are men), but to find fault with the *women* who change the way they go about their day so they're less exposed to these scumbags.

and i'm enjoying the irony of people who take offence at men being blamed (not necessarily saying that's you, per se), but then tell women that they should grow a thicker skin and not take offence.

That's a whole lotta outrage right there.

Why not have a word with them? It's what I would do. Say you don't appreciate their behavior and that should have made them change their attitude.

It's your wife's business if she wants to jog or not, not mine. She nor any other woman or man should not have to put up with harassment of any kind and in an ideal world it wouldn't happen and yet it's something that happens all the time.

This is not an ideal world.

And it will continue to happen. You can't just wish this stuff away.

Education is almost always the key in terms of teaching kids particular healthy positive attitudes at a young age. Some will go along with it, some won't.

There are ****ty people out there. Either you A. ignore them or B. challenge them.

So the best thing to do in that incident with your wife is for her to either not give a toss, you have a word with the men in question or find an alternative exercise regimen and outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

but then tell women that they should grow a thicker skin and not take offence.

There been told this because theres feck all that can be done about isolated incidents of some men been ars*holes. The problem with the article is it blames all men for something a minority of d*ckheads do and when a woman stops cycling or jogging because of them there letting these men win

• Advertisement

[/B]

You're simply looking for an argument.

I'm simply looking for teenage girls to be able to cycle to school without being harassed.

I didn’t say they said it was a pandemic. I said I wouldn’t say it was/is.

Nor did I call them liars. Feel free to rely on anecdotal evidence of a handful of teens if you wish.

Take your words out of my mouth and dismount.
    If you want to get pernickety, I didn't say that you said that they said it was a pandemic.

It's more than 'anecdotal evidence'. It is a highlight from formal research.
    That's a whole lotta outrage right there.

Why not have a word with them? It's what I would do. Say you don't appreciate their behavior and that should have made them change their attitude.

It's your wife's business if she wants to jog or not, not mine. She nor any other woman or man should not have to put up with harassment of any kind and in an ideal world it wouldn't happen and yet it's something that happens all the time.

This is not an ideal world.

And it will continue to happen. You can't just wish this stuff away.

Education is almost always the key in terms of teaching kids particular healthy positive attitudes at a young age. Some will go along with it, some won't.

There are ****ty people out there. Either you A. ignore them or B. challenge them.

So the best thing to do in that incident with your wife is for her to either not give a toss, you have a word with the men in question or find an alternative exercise regimen and outlet.

That's right, you can't just wish it away - but you can action it away. How about YOU challenge them, instead of expecting an adult women to bring her husband with her?

Greyfox wrote: »
    There been told this because theres feck all that can be done about isolated incidents of some men been ars*holes. The problem with the article is it blames all men for something a minority of d*ckheads do and when a woman stops cycling or jogging because of them there letting these men win
    Where exactly in the article does it blame 'all men'?

Greyfox wrote: »

maybe men could do something other than shrug and say i don't see it/not my problem/why did she stop jogging/why didn't she stop jogging when she was harassed of course she was attacked what do you expect/men's behaviour is women's fault

mind boggling

I'm simply looking for teenage girls to be able to cycle to school without being harassed.

If you want to get pernickety, I didn't say that you said that they said it was a pandemic.

It's more than 'anecdotal evidence'. It is a highlight from formal research.

That's right, you can't just wish it away - but you can action it away. How about YOU challenge them, instead of expecting an adult women to bring her husband with her?

Where exactly in the article does it blame 'all men'?

Wait... what?

God I miss the warm weather already.

Yes Andy for what ever it's worth on occasion I have indeed stepped in when I have seen people being harassed, like any right minded person would.

Just as a matter of interest, how do you think we can get girls cycling to school with out being harassed or teased by their own gender for doing so?

Why not have a word with them? It's what I would do.
    I understand the confusion, I think. This is not a bunch of three or four lads who are the consistent offenders. This was in a well trafficked public park near our house and probably a different person each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I've seen men on the street dog whistle at women on bikes in the middle of town. It's usually builders too. If it doesn't happen to you, its because you're probobably a middle aged overweight bloke, and the people who dog whistle at other people aren't attracted to you. I'ts quite simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe times have realky changed and not for.the better.

its disappointing to realise that a person cant go about their own business without a negative and unwelcome comment from someone else.

it makes me wonder what type of man/lad would comment/interfere with a woman/girl passing on a bike or running etc.
    would they like that to happen to their sister/mother/aunt/female friend?

are they so thick and ignorant that this thought wouldn't criss their mind?

i cycled to school, never had a bother.
    maybe i was one of the lucky ones.

thats a sad thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well, not quite what he said and it's hardly an original thought in that form, a riff on you're either with with us or against us. A false dichotomy either way.
    Or extremists "right" or "left" are a charm for comedy and often write it themselves, but rarely have enough insight to see it for themselves. Oh and said "establishment" also had the right wing racist character Alf Garnett who was the butt of the joke. Conspiracies, so hard to choose...
    Indeed and no doubt catcalling and the like is a part of it, but as far back as I remember boys cycling to school far outnumbered the girls, and that's girls of all ages. I walked or cycled to school from around 8 onwards, hardly an age for sexual harassment of anyone, and that's going back to a time when vanishingly few kids were driven to school by their parents. Which is another factor. More concerns about child safety is in play these days and those concerns were always more around girls than boys and I doubt that's changed too much.

Actually while I'm thinking back; of my peers pretty much all of the boys rode bikes, very few of the girls. Many got their "first bike" and learned to ride, but seemed to drop it soon after and I knew none who cycled in their teens. I remember going over to the local girls school for some joint project or other and noticed how tiny their bike shed area was compared to the boys school I went to. It was the era of Sean Kelly and the like and we were all mad into bikes so we'd always be checking out bikes. Tiny sample group of course, but it would be interesting to see the stats on the sales of boys/girls bikes(which would have been easier to do in the past I imagine as they were more gendered?). Now among adults that difference is much lesser with more women cycling for commuting and fitness/fun, but in school years it was and seems still has a gender bias.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bluewolf wrote: »
    not post 7 pages of this ****, mostly
    They make a valid point nonetheless B. What is the solution? Men stop doing it and stop other men doing it is quite simply unworkable. An ex of mine was mad into the cyling and once out on a run she had her arse slapped by some fcukwit in a passing car. Angry didn't quite cover my response, but what was I to do? Drive around looking for the prick? And do what if I found him/them? Chastise him for being a scoundrel? Yeah, like that's going to work out. The type of guy who will pull that sort of sh1t is usually the type of guy who goes for fists first. Of course that's a blindspot for many women and the type of guys who say men should "step up", they've grown up not expecting to get the head kicked off them and think the world fairer than it is. Or they're built like a bricksh1thouse. Unless you're built like a bricksh1thouse moral positions don't survive much beyond the first punch to the face. And that's why many if not most men will be backward in coming forward about such things.

Of my peers I can't recall a single example of "catcalling" among them, plenty of "good god, did you see her" sure, because we're straight in possession of penises, but deliberately not leering or in earshot or anything like it. It was felt to be all a bit lower orders behaviour to be frank, though rugger buggers are worse than any arse crack builders for it and while overall that stuff has gotten better down the years that rugger bugger culture seems to have gotten worse for it down the years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Actually while I'm thinking back; of my peers pretty much all of the boys rode bikes, very few of the girls. Many got their "first bike" and learned to ride, but seemed to drop it soon after and I knew none who cycled in their teens. I remember going over to the local girls school for some joint project or other and noticed how tiny their bike shed area was compared to the boys school I went to. It was the era of Sean Kelly and the like and we were all mad into bikes so we'd always be checking out bikes. Tiny sample group of course, but it would be interesting to see the stats on the sales of boys/girls bikes(which would have been easier to do in the past I imagine as they were more gendered?). Now among adults that difference is much lesser with more women cycling for commuting and fitness/fun, but in school years it was and seems still has a gender bias.

I'm a bit pushed for time, so I'll focus on the main issue. If you look at the Census data, we now have about 1/3rd of the number of secondary school boys that we did in 1981. We have about 1/20 of the number of secondary school girls that we did in 1981.

We've driven the girls off the road, one way or other.

201992118302113463430CNA02_18313739.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i'd suggest that more girls like going to school in groups, and that means walking, bus or Dart. Cycling is anti-social in those terms. it just seems to be one of those situations where every alleged incident is blown up to make it look like kids have to go through a gauntlet a la Holy Cross back in the day in Belfast. And Im saying that as a dad to 2 teenage kids

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm a bit pushed for time, so I'll focus on the main issue. If you look at the Census data, we now have about 1/3rd of the number of secondary school boys that we did in 1981. We have about 1/20 of the number of secondary school girls that we did in 1981.

We've driven the girls off the road, one way or other.

201992118302113463430CNA02_18313739.gif
    Aside/ Spot the point when Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche were wowing the world cycling stage. :D

And I would say "driven" is a large part of it. Both are more likely to be driven these days. Another thing to consider is that I think we would generally agree that we're a more gender equal and gender aware society these days? And that in the past we weren't. Yet in the years when young girls were burying babies in Kerry fields, the laundries weren't cold in memory and far more casual sexism was writ large in the media there was a way higher percentage of girls cycling to schools. One would assume that it would be more today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Have a changing room in the schools so cyclists can change out of sweaty gear.
    Same for all workplaces with 10+ employees
    Might help females to cycle to work
    As for verbal and physical abuse while out cycling, it's just disgusting

I cannot cycle to work as there is no proper facility to change and we've one unisex toilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I cannot cycle to work as there is no proper facility to change and we've one unisex toilet

Why don't you have a word with management if you want improvement. In other work places they even have showers.

At the same time though I do feel you are making a mountain out a molehill.

That Unisex toilet has cubicles I assume?
    You can go into the cubicle and change problem solved - there is your workaround.
    On yer bike! :D

There are already changing rooms in schools they could easily be used by cyclists so no excuse there.

To me there is no real need to have all these new separate areas placing prohibitive costs, on already financially stressed schools.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Aside/ Spot the point when Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche were wowing the world cycling stage. :D

And I would say "driven" is a large part of it. Both are more likely to be driven these days. Another thing to consider is that I think we would generally agree that we're a more gender equal and gender aware society these days? And that in the past we weren't. Yet in the years when young girls were burying babies in Kerry fields, the laundries weren't cold in memory and far more casual sexism was writ large in the media there was a way higher percentage of girls cycling to schools. One would assume that it would be more today.

I agree - the 'driven' is almost certainly a big part of it. More households have two or more cars. More households have two parents working. Our society has got more and more car-centric, with minimal consideration of cycling in general planning, and zero consideration when planning schools.

Aside: any idea why the graphic that I included in my post has disappeared?

We do need decent facilities - lockers, drying space for wet gear, safe and secure lock up area for bikes - and showers if we want to really encourage this. Fingal Co Co were good at mandating this at planning stage for new factories and offices, but I don't think any authority has actually sorted this issue properly, certainly not for schools.

silverharp wrote: »
    i'd suggest that more girls like going to school in groups, and that means walking, bus or Dart. Cycling is anti-social in those terms. it just seems to be one of those situations where every alleged incident is blown up to make it look like kids have to go through a gauntlet a la Holy Cross back in the day in Belfast. And Im saying that as a dad to 2 teenage kids

Do you think the desire to walk to school in groups has grown twenty-fold since 1981?

I sometimes wonder if we put 1/20 of the energy that we put into finding alternative explanations to what the research actually says into finding actual solutions, we'd have these problems sorted long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Do you think the desire to walk to school in groups has grown twenty-fold since 1981?

I sometimes wonder if we put 1/20 of the energy that we put into finding alternative explanations to what the research actually says into finding actual solutions, we'd have these problems sorted long ago.

The Dart didnt exist in 1981 :D , lots of things are different , traffic is higher. i'd be more nervous of my kids cycling to school then my parents would have been about me. mobile phones didnt exist and you cant use them cycling. More kid are dropped off at school by car.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod Note Moved from After Hours to Commuting and Transport. Please follow local guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Hi Vis vests are the bane of cyclists. They're cycling, not going to a building site. If hi vis is so key to road safety why aren't cars painted with hi viz paint?

High vis are honestly overkill to be honest, a pair of GOOD lights is enough and some non dark clothing.

Infini wrote: »
    High vis are honestly overkill to be honest, a pair of GOOD lights is enough and some non dark clothing.

I find especially in the dark/poor viability/rural Ireland it is much easier to see those wearing some form of high vis whether pedestrians or cyclists.
    That split second or two of standing out can save lives for sure.
    To say otherwise does not seem to make much sense.

not sure if you read the post, but it was basically saying that lights > hi vis.
    your 'to say otherwise' comment suggests you missed that bit.

not sure if you read the post, but it was basically saying that lights > hi vis.
    your 'to say otherwise' comment suggests you missed that bit.

Correct yeah, kind of ironic! :o

I find especially in the dark/poor viability/rural Ireland it is much easier to see those wearing some form of high vis whether pedestrians or cyclists.

Maybe you need to slow down to give yourself that extra split second that you need to avoid killing entirely legal road users?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't waste your time, the cycling fashion victims wouldn't be seen dead in hi vis. Oh dear I must look like a builder, how uncouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So you’ve come into a thread and derailed it again with your own agenda when the thread has nothing to do with your own agenda? You do realise it’s your holier-than-thou attitude which adds fire to your actual agenda and turns even more people against cyclists...

You would have to be one pitiful and miserable human being to hate an entire group of people (only grouped by their means of transport) based on what one cyclist on the internet said.

Don't waste your time, the cycling fashion victims wouldn't be seen dead in hi vis. Oh dear I must look like a builder, how uncouth.

Lads, I'm 190cm, in my fifties, carrying about 5-10kg extra, mostly on my belly, and I wear lycra. Trust me - fashion is not my top priority when cycling, or anytime tbh.

This isn't about fashion. This is about not standing by and allowing drivers of mostly grey, black and navy vehicles impose yet another barrier to cycling to enable them to drive that split second faster than they really should be driving. If you're a big believer in the benefits of hi-vis, come back to me when your white car has nice wide hi-vis stripes on all sides. Until then, I won't be taking any lectures on visibility.

Don't waste your time, the cycling fashion victims wouldn't be seen dead in hi vis.
    ACKSHERLY, i think many cyclists have been seen dead, even when wearing hi-vis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I find it difficult to care about cyclists' well being when so many of them seem to care little about their own well being.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

beejee wrote: »
    Get all the newborn baby boys, while in hospital, and start pumping them full of hormone blockers and such. Weaken them down and immasculate.

Get all the newborn baby girls, while in hospital, and start them on hormone blockers and steroids. Beef them up and defeminise.

Now, that'll all be grand. The women will be men and the men will be women.

It's all a case of buffet style "wants", and weaklinoids are going to have to accept that you can't have one thing without the expense of another. Reality.

Please read the Commuting and Transport charter before posting again.

— moderator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Far more motorists and passengers are killed on the road than cyclists.

So again I ask, why don't we mandate hi-vis stripes on all cars and vans?

I have been through this with you before.

Of course more motorists and passengers are killed on the road than cyclists, because there are more motorists and passengers on the road!!!

The fatality rate per kilometre travelled is higher for cyclists though - I pointed this out to you several threads ago, and you have conveniently ignored it since, as it doesn't fit with your propaganda.

Before you ask, I am not going to dig out the statistics again, because you will undoubtedly ignore them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I find it difficult to care about cyclists' well being when so many of them seem to care little about their own well being.

Lol, very cold blooded statement but accurate these days worth bearing in mind it's the motorist who's most likely to do the damage, not the cyclist, whether they're in the right or wrong makes little difference afterwards.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Marhay70 wrote: »

What you describe as 'to care little', is actually 'to care deeply enough to nebe distracted by populist, ineffective ideas with no evidence base to support them'.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Far more motorists and passengers are killed on the road than cyclists.

So again I ask, why don't we mandate hi-vis stripes on all cars and vans?

I have been through this with you before.

Of course more motorists and passengers are killed on the road than cyclists, because there are more motorists and passengers on the road!!!

The fatality rate per kilometre travelled is higher for cyclists though - I pointed this out to you several threads ago, and you have conveniently ignored it since, as it doesn't fit with your propaganda.

Before you ask, I am not going to dig out the statistics again, because you will undoubtedly ignore them again.

I don't recall the conversation, but the most likely reason for ignoring the 'per kilometre' figure is because it is entirely irrelevant in this context. If you want to reduce road deaths and injuries, you need to focus on how/where most of the deaths and injuries are happening. 95% of road deaths have no cyclist involvement. If you believe hi-vis is a solution to reducing road deaths, then you need to get hi-vis on all cars to deal with the 95% before you start obsessing with the 5%. Why would you be focused on the 5%?

Advertisement