Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

Basq wrote: »
    Life On Mars is fantastic.. Ashes To Ashes is great, but not quite as good as LoM.

Both are definitely worth a watch!

John Simm was absolutely brilliant in Life on Mars.

Couldn't get into Ashes to Ashes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Contagion (2011). It seems prescient with whats happening with the Coronavirus.

I've also started on the new series "Freud", about the Austrian sociologist Sigmund Freud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

I, Tonya

Was really looking forward to this, but I switched it off half way through. Felt the tone was all over the place, as if it was veering from satire to mockumentary to drama. First half hour was basically like a music montage of random 80s or 70s songs with a tiny bit of dialogue.

Although when the music ceased the next half hour wasn't any better. The acting went from overacting to just plain bad. Cannot understand the praise this received.

Switched to the battered bastards of baseball and even though I haven't finished it, much more enjoyable!!

Same, thought I, Tonya was desperately poor.

There was an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on the same subjusct a few years ago and that was outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

is Hunters on Prime any good?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

km79 wrote: »
    is Hunters on Prime any good?
    Yes, I'm really enjoying it. It's quite OTT and very Tarantino in style. Don't expect a deadly serious show!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It starts off great but found it an absolute chore by the end.

Contagion (2011). It seems prescient with whats happening with the Coronavirus.

in fairness, I'd say that everybody has seen this twice at this point.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It starts off great but found it an absolute chore by the end.
    Oh dear. I'm up to Episode 6 - is it all downhill from here? It's lost a little of its momentum but still. for me, enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    Oh dear. I'm up to Episode 6 - is it all downhill from here? It's lost a little of its momentum but still. for me, enjoyable.

I didn't find it a chore, though it definitely loses some of that playful Grindhouse aesthetic from earlier episodes. On reflection it actually makes thematic sense given where the story goes. A sort of "loss of innocence" angle so it works that that superficiality goes to the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

There was some show, think it was Family Reunion (?), watched five minutes of the first episode and realised that it was not for me (canned laughter, not actually funny, etc) - yet over a month later it's still urging me to "continue watching" it.

I know it's the very definition of a first world problem but surely their algorithm is smart enough to detect that I think the programme is a pile of wånk and it can be removed from the list?

Sidenote: I would like the option to remove things from either the continue watching or my list sections

'Continue Watching' - painful. You need to go back in, resume watching and drag the red dot to the end until the credits run all the way through. Then make sure the screen goes black black. Otherwise you're still officially watching it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

deisedude wrote: »
    Same, thought I, Tonya was desperately poor.

There was an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on the same subjusct a few years ago and that was outstanding

Oh, I'm the opposite! I thought it was excellent! A complete car crash for all from start to finish. It was really interesting to see the bias she had to work against because she wasn't from the "right type".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Oh, I'm the opposite! I thought it was excellent! A complete car crash for all from start to finish. It was really interesting to see the bias she had to work against because she wasn't from the "right type".

I loved it too! Was one of the better Oscar nom films of that year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Diairist wrote: »
    'Continue Watching' - painful. You need to go back in, resume watching and drag the red dot to the end until the credits run all the way through. Then make sure the screen goes black black. Otherwise you're still officially watching it
    And then it assumes you've watched that episode and suggests "Continue Watching" for the next episode...

Space force arrives may 29th
    Reuniting Steve carrell and Greg Daniels from the office US

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/04/netflix-space-force-steve-carell/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

peteeeed wrote: »

Great comfort TV, the jokes at the end with Alice are the best bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Really hoping this is good. Great cast too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Really hoping this is good. Great cast too!

I'm wary of a space based comedy with great writers and a great cast after Avenue 5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just realized I haven’t watched the Irishman
    Will spread that out over a few nights now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

BBC day

Brexit: The Uncivil War
    As he steers the campaign for England to leave the European Union, a strategist uncovers data and voter sentiment to design a subversive plan

that was absolutely superb btw,,probably made dominic cummings a bigger star than he needed to be ,,,but fascinating viewing. Benedict Cumberbatch especially good as cummings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

km79 wrote: »
    Just realized I haven’t watched the Irishman
    Will spread that out over a few nights now

https://twitter.com/dunerfors/status/1200058032958459906?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

ixoy wrote: »
    And then it assumes you've watched that episode and suggests "Continue Watching" for the next episode...

I've never had that. If I stop an episode close to the end, just before credits, the next time I start it'll be the next episode not the last 90s or whatever of the episode I was watching

Hi Score Girl (Hai Sukoa Garu) season 2
    A chronic gamer abysmally inept in academics and sports finally meets his match at his usual shady arcade -- and it's his rich classmate, Akira.

Welcome to Mercy
    When she goes to Latvia with her daughter to visit her dying father, a woman is afflicted by stigmata-like wounds and seeks help at a sinister convent.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Started watching McMafia last night. Despite having the BBC moniker, the first episode was a bit shaky with some pretty dubious acting from the main characters.

I’ll give it another episode.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Three Identical Strangers .
    Quite a story , amazing and sad , and a bit fecked up , rolled up all in one .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Three Identical Strangers .
    Quite a story , amazing and sad , and a bit fecked up , rolled up all in one .

That looks good, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loved afterlife but I don’t think I’m emotionally stable enough during the pandemic to watch season two tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Started watching McMafia last night. Despite having the BBC moniker, the first episode was a bit shaky with some pretty dubious acting from the main characters.

I’ll give it another episode.....

Wretched show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

QikBax wrote: »
    Wretched show.
    I like all the cast, but their was no point to the show and even a dunce like me could pretty much figure out how it all ended.

Not an original idea in there whatsoever.

Advertisement