Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

Did anyone watch the Marilyn Monroe documentary? Just wondering is it any good or worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Also some of their 4k content can be questionable if it is even 1080p quality.

For example Better Call Saul 4k season 6 episode 2 delivered at just over 2 mbs, episode 3 just over 3mbs whereas at one stage Netflix streamed 4k at 15mbs. The drop in quality is very noticeable on busy scenes or when the camera is panning.

Compare that to AppleTV+ which seemingly streams at 30mbs+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah I watched it. I thought it was decent. I wouldn't have followed her story in detail before so maybe theres nothing new in it but it was interesting to hear all the recordings that (apparently) havent been heard before.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I get that they need to cut costs but they could cancel a Gal Gadot project or two and save 20 times what these layoffs will save them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's crappy to see writers lose their jobs, especially some of whom were poached from other jobs not so long ago. But Tudum - which I'm sure most of us never heard of before this news broke - seems like one of those cursed projects dreamed up by a corporate executive. Does the world really need a Netflix advertorial site masquerading as a 'fan blog' or whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've said it before but I think the gold in Netflix these days is its non-English language material; rumours before this week had said US/Canadian subs were stagnated - proved true by news of overall subs now dropping - while the service pivoted towards foreign markets. Their "greenlight everything" perhaps more focused on those US markets, the smaller ones more exacting.

For sure, I'd never heard of the thing before today but as @TICKLE_ME_ELMO remarked, a lot more could be saved if Netflix stopped writing big cheques for Star Power to head bland brain-mush like Adam Project or Red Notice. I see Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans are the latest, headlining the Russos' own Netflix "unfinished script down the back of the sofa" project. The law of economics in the entertainment industry / the modern corporation is truly insane.

I think Netflix had the monopoly on the market for so long in North America, but now there's a glut of streaming services available there, and as far as American shows/films go, the other streamers probably do have the better options at the moment. So as @pixelburp says, they might be better off investing more time and money in developing things from other countries. Even English speaking ones like ourselves. I know it was British money that made them, but Normal People and Derry Girls were two of the biggest shows worldwide over the last couple of years. They were supposed to have some development deal in Australia to produce a certain amount of stuff too, but as far as I can see they're just using it as a filming location for American productions. Nothing original has come out of there as of yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wholly agree Netflix are an incredibly wasteful company, spending untold millions on terrible projects forgotten by most within 72 hours of release (at best). The revelations around the budget of the new Stranger Things season are truly mind-boggling. And of course firing a few young writers will barely make a financial dent in the company's overall ledger. Doesn't take away from projects like 'Tudum' coming from a fundamentally misguided and insincere place. Still, I feel awful for the writers involved as some of them clearly left other jobs after getting a probably generous offer from Netflix less than a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Ozark: Season 4, Part 2 (2022)– Does the end justify the means? The Byrds are about to find out once and for all as Jason Bateman’s crime drama closes out its last chapter.

Grace & Frankie: Season 7, Part 2 (2022)– Get ready to bid farewell to Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, as their on-screen BFFs return for the final ever episodes of their comedy.

Rumspringa - An Amish in Berlin (2022)(German) - A young Amish man travels to Berlin on a rite of passage to connect with his roots, explore other ways of life, fall in love -- and face a big decision

Youth v Gov (2020) - This documentary follows the journey of 21 young plaintiffs suing the US government for its actions in creating the climate crisis.

Drag SOS (2019) Season 1- In this makeover series, a drag collective helps unlikely protégés find self-confidence with plenty of glamour and heart and a sprinkle of glitter.

Inside Missguided (2020) Season 1 - This reality series follows the employees of fashion brand Missguided as they travel to shoots, negotiate collaborations and brainstorm new looks.

Added

The whole Tadum thing seems like an attempt to create the kind of thing that occurs naturally on social media when some random show becomes popular because of a meme or something silly like that. They stopped people from being able to screengrab too, although there's ways around it, obviously, but all in all it felt like a very corporate attempt to control and reproduce a thing that can't be preplanned or controlled. Does make you wonder who is making decisions there and how much of a grasp they have on modern internet culture

• Advertisement

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - The contents of a hidden grave draw the interest of an industrial titan and send Officer K, an LAPD blade runner, on a quest to find a missing legend.

Jackass: The Movie (2002) Jackass 2.5 (2007) Jackass 3.5: The Explicit Movie (2011)

Paycheck (2003) - Paid big money by high-tech firms for working on hush-hush projects, computer ace Michael Jennings then has his memory erased for security purposes..

1408 (2007) - In this Stephen King thriller, a writer and paranormal debunker is determined to demystify the ghostly events in room 1408 of the Dolphin Hotel.

The Wall: Climb for Gold (2022) - This gripping documentary follows four elite female climbers as they endure the peaks and valleys along an emotional road to the Olympics.

Piranha (2010) - When an earthquake rips open the bottom of Lake Victoria, a bloodbath ensues as schools of carnivorous piranhas are released from their aquatic lair.

Knuckle (2011) - Two Irish families settle their differences with bare-knuckle boxing in this documentary directed by Ian Palmer..

3 From Hell (2019) - Bloodthirsty backwoods killers break out after ten years in prison, itching to settle scores, and unleash chaos and carnage on anything that moves.

See for Me (2021) - A headstrong catsitter who is blind clashes with violent thieves during a home invasion. Now her life depends on an army veteran helping her via an app.

Against the Sun (2014) - During World War II, three U.S. Navy pilots crash-land in the Pacific Ocean, where they fight the elements, hunger and despair in hopes of survival.

The Story of Film: A New Generation (2021) - Critic and filmmaker Mark Cousins takes a deep dive into the 21st century's most iconic films, from "Frozen" to "Parasite.".

Into the Wild (2007) - young man gives up everything -- including his trust fund and ties to a seemingly stable family -- to lead a solitary life in the wild.

The Social Network (2010) - Harvard sophomore Mark Zuckerberg pursues an idea that propels him to internet success, bringing in legal trouble and costing him friendships.

Gods of Egypt (2016) - After losing control of Egypt to dark god Set, who brings chaos to the land, god Horus teams up with a mortal thief to save humankind..

Savages (2012) - With the help of a shady DEA agent, two weed entrepreneurs take on a merciless cartel leader who wants in on their business and kidnaps their lover.

Baby Geniuses (1999) -Two evil adults try to exploit babies who are born with knowledge of the universe's secrets -- and can speak to each other in a secret language.

Back to Life (2018) Season 1- After 18 years in prison, a woman returns to her hometown and embarks on an awkward -- and often comical -- campaign to reconnect with the community..

Lord of War (2005) - When a Ukrainian immigrant goes from two-bit thug to the world's leading arms dealer, he soon finds that his profiteering comes at a cost.

Blue Thunder (1983) - While testing an experimental helicopter, a chopper pilot hijacks the craft when he learns its true purpose -- and is soon hunted through the skies..

Big Daddy (1999) - Dumped by his girlfriend because he refuses to accept responsibility, overgrown adolescent Sonny Koufax adopts a 5-year-old to prove he's a grownup..

Orange County (2002) - After a clerical error gets him rejected from Stanford, desperate Shaun has 24 hours to convince the dean to give him another chance.

Ackley Bridge (2021) Seasons 2 -After years of segregation, two Yorkshire schools merge into one, leading to some intense culture clashes and, just maybe, some unexpected friendships..

Are You the One? (2017) 2 Season 2 - A group of single contestants heads to a tropical destination, where they must find their perfect matches for a shot at serious cash and lasting love.

Awakenings (1990) - In 1969, a doctor tests an experimental drug on a man in an unresponsive state -- who awakens after 30 years and must come to grips with life as an adult.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

Piranha is so bad its bad. Kelly Brook is in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I thought it was just ok but perhaps was not in the mood for it. It was very much a play type movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loved Boiling Point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Watch a film called Surge last night don't know if its been mentioned , not bad, film about a young lad living in London who loses the plot (not a family film) not Academy award winning but something to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched see for me...interesting premise...but not great...for something similar I would recommend the excellent Hush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not sure if it’s been recommended before but Untouchable is a charming little French film about a very wealthy quadriplegic’s new streetwise personal assistant. True story too.

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (2012) - The forest-dwelling Lorax has to stop the short-sighted Once-ler from ruining the environment for profit in this adaptation of the Dr. Seuss classic..

Beethoven's 2nd (1993) - After St. Bernard Beethoven sires a brood with Missy, he and the Newton kids must intervene when Missy's owner tries to sell the puppies.

Beethoven's Christmas Adventure (2011) - Lovable, oversized Saint Bernard Beethoven tries to save the holidays when a wayward elf crashes Santa's sleigh and loses his bag of toys to thieves.

Effie Gray (2014) - Trapped in a loveless marriage, the young wife of Victorian-era art critic John Ruskin finds herself falling for an artist -- and looking for a way out.

Liar Liar (1997) - After his son makes a birthday wish that magically comes true, an evasive lawyer finds himself incapable of telling a lie for 24 hours.

Death Becomes Her (1992) - Two "frienemies" discover the secret of eternal youth -- and find that it has a few unadvertised drawbacks.

Octonauts: Above & Beyond Season 2 (2021) - The Octonauts expand their exploration beyond the sea -- and onto land! With new rides and new friends, they'll protect any habitats and animals at risk

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's far better than the remake with Kevin Hart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Metal Lords is watchable .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Marilyn Monroe documentary was good but I was expecting more revelations that we didn’t know about already.

I mean I always felt there was something weird about the maid waking at 3:00am and there being what I felt was a long gap to her being pronounced dead at 4:30am. I had never heard about the body being moved and brought back and yes it’s been said she died earlier than when she was found but they have the wife of someone saying they were told about an incident at the Hollywood bowl around 10:30 PM.

Given the number of tapes they said were there, we only heard a fraction of what was said.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I wanted something simple to watch tonight so I stuck on The Hitman's Apprentice (also known as The Liability, apparently). Starring Jack O'Connell, Tim Roth and Peter Mullan, this was a great little black comedy - and it's under 90 minutes long too, with no flab on it.

Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive (2022) - Follow free diver Johanna Nordblad in this documentary as she attempts to break the world record for distance traveled under ice with one breath.

Chris Distefano: Speshy Weshy (2022) - Fueled by six martinis and a sold-out crowd, comedian Chris Distefano talks getting yelled at on social media and why he's waiting for his dad to die

The Souvenir (2019) - In the early '80s, a sheltered young film student begins to find her voice as she becomes romantically involved with a sophisticated yet dubious man..

Let's Tie The Knot, Honey! (2022) (Spanish) - Ready to finally tie the knot, a young couple struggles to plan the perfect wedding while juggling various obstacles and odd characters.

Iris (2009) Season 1 (Korean) - Two friends' lives are changed forever when they are recruited by a top-secret organization tasked with protecting the country from foreign threats.

Added

In light of the Roe v Wade news from the US, it’s worth re-upping a recommendation for Never Rarely Sometimes Always. A very empathetic if often devastating look at one teenager’s trip to get an abortion in New York after she can’t get one in her own state. Obviously more relevant than ever now, but also just a remarkable, careful character study with some of the most heartbreaking scenes in recent cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Never heard of it when it was released but Blade Runner 2049 is a classic Ridley Scott movie. Great cinematography with an outlandish plot line. 8/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

2049 is the sequel, and directed by Denis Villeneuve, but it definitely captured the aesthetics and tone of the Scott original

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watched 365 days with my wife last year, it was just about watchable, I was roped into watching the sequel at the weekend and my god its the biggest load of crap I ever saw. We were rolling around laughing it was so bad. Like one big music video with boring sex scenes and the acting is atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The Missing season 1 was very good, one of those shows I found hard to turn off. Will give season 2 a go in the next few days.

Advertisement