Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Game (1997) - An aloof investment banker's life spirals into peril and paranoia after his brother gives him an odd birthday gift: the chance to play a mysterious game.

Turbo (2013) - A speed-obsessed snail who dreams of being the world's greatest race car driver gets his chance when an accident imbues him with high-octane speed.

Fighting (2009) - When Shawn MacArthur, a hustler of counterfeit merchandise in New York, meets seasoned street-fighting coach Harvey Boarden, his whole life changes..

Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (2014) - A Marine contingent stationed in Afghanistan faces a daunting mission when they attempt to help a famously defiant woman escape the Taliban

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The Game is a good flick

david fincher was on a good run

Seven

The Game

Fight Club

Panic Room

Zodiac

even his first film 'alien 3 ' has some really good moments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Didn't realise it was Fincher! TIL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They've got Arcane clips in that Geeked Week thing, I wonder will there be S2 news? I wasn't expecting anything so soon.

Katt Williams: World War III (2022) - Katt Williams riffs on truth, lies, chicken wing shortages and the war on drugs in this electrifying stand-up special filmed in Las Vegas.

Hwarang Season 1 (2016)(Korean) - An elite group of young warriors trained in morals and martial arts finds love and friendship in Silla during Korea's ancient Three Kingdoms period..

Added

Cyber Hell: Exposing an Internet Horror (2022) (Korean) Anonymous and exploitative, a network of online chat rooms ran rampant with sex crimes. The hunt to take down its operators required guts and tenacity.

Added

The Photographer: Murder in Pinamar (2022) (Spanish) - This documentary examines the murder of photojournalist José Luis Cabezas, a crime that shook Argentina and exposed a political and financial conspiracy..

Rodrigo Sant'Anna: I'm Here, I'm Queer! (2022) (Brazilian ) - Whether he's making a grand entrance, sharing personal stories or bringing a host of quirky characters to life, Rodrigo Sant'Anna lights up the stage

The Hall: Honoring the Greats of Stand-Up (2022) - In this comedy special, Jon Stewart, John Mulaney, Chelsea Handler and Dave Chappelle honor George Carlin, Joan Rivers, Robin Williams and Richard Pryor.

A Perfect Pairing (2022) - To win over a major client, a go-getter LA wine exec signs on to work at an Australian sheep farm, where she sparks with a rugged and mysterious local..

The G Word with Adam Conover (2022) - Love it or hate it, the government plays a huge role in our lives. Adam Conover explores its triumphs, failures and how we might be able to change it

The Boss Baby: Back in the Crib Season 1 (2022) - Framed for a corporate crime, an adult Ted Templeton turns back into the Boss Baby to live undercover with his brother, Tim, posing as one of his kids.

The Silencing (2020) - A reformed hunter becomes involved in a deadly game of cat and mouse when he sets out to track a killer who may have kidnapped his daughter years ago.

Target Number One (2020) - A determined reporter tries to free a man imprisoned in a Thai jail for a crime he was coerced into -- by surprising culprits. Based on a true story.

Human Capital (2019) - The romance of two teens, one wealthy and one middle-class, triggers tragedy when a risky financial investment and a hit-and-run ravage their families.

Insiders Season 2 (2021) (Spanish) - Twelve people think they're in the final casting round for a reality show. In fact, they're already being secretly filmed, with 100,000 euros at stake

Added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"Framed for a corporate crime, an adult Ted Templeton turns back into the Boss Baby to live undercover with his brother, Tim, posing as one of his kids."

One of the most bizarre synopses I've read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the by, looks like Netflix popped up a full episode from this, for anyone curious;

• Registered Users Posts: 85,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah I watched it.

I'm a big Jesse Plemons fan but not even he could save this.

The script could have been written on a post it note. Dont expect to be blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,848 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I quite enjoyed it. It's a very simple setup, 3 people in one location, which I always like seeing - the whole narrative driven by character. And it's only 90 minutes long, so while it's not amazing, it doesn't outstay its welcome. Nowhere near as good as the equally restrained and equally short The One I Love by the same director (different writer, which makes the difference i think), but still worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dull and boring. I found myself more interested in my phone and that's never a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

TBF, you do have a lovely phone.

Any recent horror movie recommendations on Netflix, please?

The Umbrella Academy Season 3 Official Trailer 

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've found Netflix poor enough for horror recently, it's been a bit of a random grab-bag.

I've heard good things about Werewolves Within, but other than that there's no particularly new horror that stands out to me. I have subs for Shudder and Arrow Player as well, and find both of them much better for horror, SF and generally weird film.

• Advertisement

Love, Death & Robots Volume 3 (2022) Terrifying creatures, wicked surprises and dark comedy converge in this NSFW anthology of animated stories presented by Tim Miller and David Fincher.

Jackass 4.5 (2022) Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O and the rest of the gang return for another round of hilarious stunts featuring cut footage and outtakes from "Jackass Forever."

Wrong Side of the Tracks Season 1 (2022) (Spanish) When his teenage granddaughter falls victim to the drug dealers overtaking his neighborhood, a fed-up war veteran takes matters into his own hands.

The Beauty Queen of Jerusalem Season 1 (2021) (Hebrew) In 1919 Jerusalem, housecleaner Rosa weds a shopkeeper who loves another woman, a choice that impacts her dynamic with eldest daughter Luna for decades.

RRR (2022) (Indian) A fictional history of two legendary revolutionaries' journey away from home before they began fighting for their country in the 1920s.

F*ck Love Too (2022) (Dutch) - In this romantic comedy, several friends, each dealing with unhappy love lives, turn to each other for help -- but not always with the best results.

Legally High (2013) In this documentary, director Dan Reed delves into the murky world of UK drug culture, investigating the use of research chemicals by young consumers.

My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman Season 4 ep 1 (2022) TV legend David Letterman teams up with fascinating global figures for in-depth interviews and curiosity-fueled excursions in this talk show.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RRR is now on Netflix. For those who don’t know, it’s the Indian mega blockbuster that has proven quite the cult hit internationally in recent weeks - for good reason. It’s an absolute trip: action scenes ramped up to gleefully absurd levels, delightful musical interludes (although not nearly as many as a Bollywood film), and just all around amped up vibes. It may take you a while to adjust to its particular tone and mode of filmmaking and storytelling - and I’m pretty sure its hyper-nationalist politics are dubious, although its portrayal of cartoonishly evil British aristocrats is fun. But if you’re willing to give it a chance there are many pleasures within. It’s really unlike anything else. Hollywood really could learn something from the level of pure, feverish spectacle on display in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008) A botched rescue strands Alex the lion and his companions in Africa. Sadly, Alex discovers he has little in common with the locals..

What has been lost (2019) (Spanish) A filmmaker delves into the people and places in his late mother's photograph collection, tracing the history of the Spanish civil war in the process.

Keep Away from Fire (2019) (Spanish) In a world where global warming has caused a migrant crisis, a group of friends gather in a country house to catch up away from the chaos of the city.

Conversaciones con Peter Eisenman (2018) The architect behind the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin discusses the aesthetic and theoretical concerns that shape his work.

ARCHIVE (2020) In 2038, a robotics scientist races to create a copy of his late wife, complete with her memories, but his early prototypes grow increasingly jealous.

Dark Money Season 1 (2019) When a boy is abused while shooting a Hollywood film, his family accepts a payout from a producer for their silence and faces a series of challenges.

The Cry Season 1 (2018) A young woman crumbles after her baby disappears. Though the public is quick to place blame, the truth proves to be more complicated.

Desert Coffee (2017) An eclectic group of squatters in Slab City, "the last free place in America," gather at Rob's cafe for Wi-Fi and the best cup of coffee in town.

Living Without Water (2016) This documentary focuses on the many residents of Lima, Peru, who are forced to pay up to a week's salary for just one day's water.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Couldn't stomach this, it's like children's TV or something. Maybe I need to find my inner child but he left to join the army at 16 and I've lived 20 lives since

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Started watching Welcome to Eden tonight. Spanish show about 5 people who get a mysterious invite to a party on an island as part of a drinks promotion. They wake up the day after to find they've been left behind "by accident" and have to stay at a holistic wellness type retreat *cough* cult *cough*. I got through 3 eps tonight and could easily have watched a 4th, so it's very bingable, but not too heavy or requiring much brain power, in a good way.

The main actress in it was in a film I watched recently, Coven (or Coven Of Sisters) about a witch hunt in 1600s Basque country, which was also very good, and should still be on Netflix.

Godspeed (2022) (Turkish) An ex-army captain travels to Dalyan to stop his friend's beloved from marrying another man, but grief and trauma from a combat tragedy mar his journey.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Season 2 (2020) (Japanese) In the year 2045, cybernetic mercenary Motoko Kusanagi returns to Section 9 to face a dangerous new threat: the posthumans.

Toolsidas Junior (2022) (Hindi) A young boy seeks to master the game of snooker to defend his father's legacy after a humiliating loss. But first, he'll need help from a hardened pro

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

On a whim watched 1st episode of The G Word with Adam Conover- ended up binge watching entire series in 1 sitting - something I'd never done.

Interesting look at how (The American) Government works. Good and bad, it's satirical but also fair. Barack Obama produced and appears in it, but host has no qualms over the series of tearing into his administration (as well as others - Reagan especially and Trump of course when he deals with Covid 19).

Definite one for any political junkies

• Advertisement

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature (2022) Ricky Gervais gives his take on the rules of comedy, spoiling his cats and how super actual nature is in his second Netflix stand-up special.

Jersey (2022) (Hindi) Ten years after quitting cricket, a gifted but dejected ex-batsman pursues a spot on the national team, hoping to fulfill his son's wish for a jersey.

Added

Advertisement