Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Better Call Saul (2020) Season 6 EP 1&2 - This Emmy-nominated prequel to "Breaking Bad" follows small-time attorney Jimmy McGill as he transforms into morally challenged lawyer Saul Goodman.

Pacific Rim: The Black (2021) Season 2 - After Kaiju ravage Australia, two siblings pilot a Jaeger to search for their parents, encountering new creatures, seedy characters and chance allies.

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Somewhat surprised that Pacific Rim: The Black got an S2, I thought it was bland enough and had a terrible bang of "passable sub-2h film chopped into a series for no real reason".

Sorry to throw a tangent in here, does anyone know how I can get to watch "Black Widows" starring Cecilia ForssBeate Bille and Synnøve Macody Lund. Have tried to buy it on US Amazon Prime without success

I'm fine with it in Norwegian (humble brag!)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭jj880

I just got it playing on kodi ==> the oath addon. If you have an android tablet or android tv its not hard to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭trashcan

Watched it last night. I did enjoy it but it was all a bit low key alright. Stephen Graham watchable as always, the rest of the cast were very good too. The title is a little misleading, as it implies some real intensity, a buildup to a big blow out that doesn’t arrive. I liked the way it was shot though, reminiscent of the Hitchcock film Rope with the single shot technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I read it's the final season as well so not dragging it out any longer.

Barely remember the first season but will watch this one as well.

Conversations with a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes (2022) Limited Series - He dined with the powerful. He preyed on the vulnerable. Beneath a smiling exterior was the horrifying darkness of a sadistic serial killer.

Russian Doll (2019) Season 2 - Natasha Lyonne returns for the second chapter of Netflix’s mind-bending, darkly entertaining, deeply metaphysical comedy.-Nadia keeps dying and reliving her 36th birthday party. She's trapped in a surreal time loop -- and staring down the barrel of her own mortality..

Natasha Lyonne returns for the second chapter of Netflix’s mind-bending, darkly entertaining, deeply metaphysical comedy.

It's a Sin (2021) Season 1 - A group of friends find opportunity, acceptance and love in '80s London. Then the HIV/AIDS epidemic sweeps the country and devastates their circle.

Four Hours at the Capitol (2021) - Using footage and firsthand accounts, this documentary charts the events of Jan. 6, 2021: the day thousands of protestors stormed the U.S. Capitol.

The Turning Point (2022) (Italian) - A slacker who does his best to avoid confrontation strikes up an unlikely friendship with a dangerous thug who suddenly forces his way into his life..

Yakamoz S-245 (2022) Season 1 (Turkish) - After disaster strikes Earth, a marine biologist on a submarine research mission must fight to survive with the crew as a conspiracy comes to light..

The Marked Heart (2022) Season 1 (Spanish) - A man hell-bent on exacting revenge on the organ trafficking organization that murdered his wife becomes involved with the woman who received her heart.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nomoedoe

First two episodes of Better Call Saul were excellent as usual ,have Netflix stopped doing re-caps of previous seasons when a new season starts?,i noticed on the new season of Snowpiercier there was none and the same with better call saul.

i may be wrong but i thought there was a recap for ozark

Maybe they only do the recaps for their own shows. For 2 series I watch that have just released new seasons, Russian Doll and Pacific Rim Black, they both have recaps.

Better Call Saul and Snowpiercer aren't made by Netflix but may have posted a recap if one was provided to them.

• Advertisement

White Hot: The Rise & Fall of Abercrombie & Fitch (2022) - All the cool kids were wearing it. This documentary explores A&F's pop culture reign in the late '90s and early 2000s and how it thrived on exclusion...

Lockout (2012) - A government agent wrongly accused of a crime gets a shot at freedom if he can engineer a high-risk rescue mission to outer space.

were also added

The four-part series, “Meltdown: Three Mile Island”, will arrive on May 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lockout basically Escape from LA in space, nothing special but enjoyable and pretty short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Choose or Die was like a poor black mirror episode. It's not great but not terrible either. Just a very bland and forgettable movie, wouldn't recommend it honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Heartstopper is released tomorrow the comics were incredibly sweet...fingers crossed it is good trailer was promising.

I also finished anatomy of a scandal...it was a very easy trashy watch lots of rather silly twists but good cast, David E Kelley (the undoing and a load of other things) involved

All About Gila (2022) 1hr 16m [12] (Spanish) Popular Spanish comedians take the stage -- and pick up the phone -- to honor the esteemed Miguel Gila, re-creating his most beloved stand-up performances..

He's Expecting (2022) Season 1 (Japanese) - When a successful ad executive who's got it all figured out becomes pregnant, he's forced to confront social inequities he'd never considered before.

Sun of the Soil (2020) (French) - Follow a contemporary artist on his journey to try and understand the truth about the mysterious and legendary 14th century Malian king Mansu Musa

Added

Heartstopper (2022) Season 1 - When gentle Charlie and rugby-loving Nick meet at secondary school, they quickly discover that their unlikely friendship is blossoming into an unexpected romance. Charlie, Nick and their circle of friends must navigate the ever relatable journey of self discovery and acceptance, supporting each other as they learn to find their most authentic selves. Based on the bestselling graphic novels from Alice Oseman.

Selling Sunset (2021) Season 5 - The elite agents at The Oppenheim Group sell the luxe life to affluent buyers in LA. Relationships are everything, and that often means major drama

Hold Tight (2022) Limited Series (Polish) - When a young man goes missing soon after his friend dies, life in a tight-knit, affluent Warsaw suburb slowly unravels, exposing secrets and lies..

Oprah + Viola: A Netflix Special Event (2022) - In this special event, Oprah Winfrey sits down with actor Viola Davis for an interview about her memoir, "Finding Me.

Taxi Driver (2021) Season 1 (Korean) - A former special forces soldier delivers revenge for victims of injustice while working for a secret organization that fronts as a taxi company.

Informer (2018) Season 1 - After getting arrested, a charismatic man gets pressured to work for a pair of murky police officers as an informant in order to protect his family.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Some things leaving in the next few weeks.

Calm With Horses - April 25th

Harriet - April 29th

Honeyboy - April 29th

Hinterland - April 29th

Wadjda - April 29th

Baby Driver - May 4th

9 - May 15th

An American Tail, Fivel Goes West - May 15th

Apollo 13 - May 15th

Bridesmaids - May 15th

Cape Fear - May 15th

The Doors, Gladiator, Highlander, Jaws, Intolerable Cruelty, Les Mis, Love Actually, Notting Hill, Detective Picachu, Zero Dark Thirty - All May 15th

Seeing reports of Netflix cancelling animated projects due to the recent performance. I know they likely have the figures to give them a reason but personally I find their animated stuff to be some of the better shows they have. But I guess a lot less people watch them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I agree on their animated fare - they're actually quite good at supporting animation. But they're even better at cancelling shows. Was there any particular title you heard about?

• Advertisement

Their whole original animation department has imploded over the last week or so. A few of the things I've seen mentioned as cancelled were already dead before this shares dip, and people are only realising now, but on the whole it doesn't look great for animation at Netflix going forward.

Yeah, The Twits and Bone are the ones I read. As that article says, they work with the likes of Dreamworks which seem ok and don't know if it affects other studios like the one that make Masters of the Universe.

Bone, apparently was canned last year according to this tweet, but they only link the article announcing it back in 2019.

And there's talk that The Twits is still going ahead but as live action.

I do remember a few weeks ago seeing someone tweeting about Netflix shutting their animation studios in LA but it very much sounded like they were just moving them. Even if this financial news was only made public this week, they'll have known it was coming, so quite possible/probable it's all connected.

Thats a shame. Every now and again I would watch Gladiator. Just 1 of those films I always like to watch. Same as Shawshank Redemption. Netflix has lost the plot. They had a great thing going at the start with good films and box sets. All this nonsense now with mad sub prices, threatening ads, threatening to cut off people outside of the household paying the sub, blowing fortunes making their own poor quality content. Its a sad state of affairs. If they've any sense they'll cancel the sequels to that 200 million dollar massive steaming smelly turd that is Red Notice.

Gona get the PlayStation 6 month free trial of apple tv+. I think a rotation between the major streaming services could be the way forward. Change every 6 months. That way at least you have some more new content to watch every time you switch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You say "Netflix has lost the plot" - they can't force production companies to licence material to them indefinitely, or at affordable prices.

The very fact of Netflix's success over the last decade + as a streaming provider is what has led every large production company to decide that what consumers want is to pay vastly more money for vastly more subscriptions, but... probably the same total amount of actual good material.

They'll have a lot of data to try and justify their big-budget A-List cast films, but none of those have landed for me - I've been more interested in the films where they've allowed directors creative freedom, or the series where they have allowed the creators to bypass the industry-standard "can we not drag the arse out of it for another six seasons?" production process. (A lot of places that might have picked up a show like Dark would have insisted on making it "more accessible", whereas what we got from Netflix was an excellent piece of science fiction that trusted its audience to keep up).

I honestly think Netflix's problem, as far as original productions goes, is that they initially would take a chance on something new, and it would payoff and be hugely successful, and then their response would be to churn out 10 more inferior versions of the same idea. Which is where this business model of chasing algorithms or whatever doesn't pay off.

And I know that all the episodes at once was initially part of the attraction of streaming, but more and more I find myself enjoying shows that follow the old model of one episode a week. I know it's probably a business move too, so you have to subscribe for longer if you want to be up to date with something, but I think it reduces the pressure to be churning out multiple completely new series every week.

Obviously I'm not an expert on it, but it feels like there's some very simple changes that could be made to streamline things a little.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I certainly think on their English language productions, they're taking fewer "risks". We don't see something like "Mindhunter" or more experimental like "The O.A." Their foreign-language fare at least gave us "Dark" and more recently "Squid Game" paid off but yes it feels they're going for the easier route and giving shows far less time to find an audience before swinging the axe.

I've seen a few people mention ads but there's nothing saying Netflix are going to force ads anywhere. They're just contemplating offering a newer, lower tier ad-supported package, probably below the cost of the basic one. That's the impression I got.

Not sure how to respond to that. Its kind of obvious Netflix cant force the license of anything. My point is if they had more money to offer (that wasnt being wasted elsewhere) then surely there would be better content and no need to try and fleece customers.

I think the problem with licensing now is that practically every major studio has or is connected to it's own streaming service so you're probably going to see more and more older films going to other services, regardless of how much money Netflix has to throw at them.

• Advertisement

I do understand why they're more expensive than the other platforms since this is their only source of income while the likes of Disney, Apple and Amazon have other revenue streams.

Still doesn't mean we should like it though.

Advertisement