Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

^^ FANTASTIC brilliant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never watched any of those; not a huge fan of anthology series but it does look fantastically imaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wild Mountain Thyme (2020) - In the Irish countryside, two star-crossed lovers on neighboring farms struggle to align as fickle fate and family appear to block their path. *one of the great irish movies :) *

Meet, Marry, Murder Season 1 (2020) - Follow these harrowing true crime cases centered around unsuspecting spouses who fell victim to their dangerous partners.

The Bisexual Season 1 (2018) - A woman takes a break from her girlfriend and business partner of a decade to explore her attraction to men for the first time.

Terror at the Mall (2014) - This investigative documentary uses surveillance footage and interviews with survivors to chart the 2013 siege at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya.

The Drowning Season 1 (2021) - One day, a woman spots a teenager who looks like her son, who went missing at a lake years ago. While investigating, she unravels a web of secrets..

Chaos Walking (2021) - On a planet of men who can hear each other's thoughts, a colonist stumbles upon a dangerous mystery: a woman whose thoughts are her own.

Ammonite (2020) - In 1840s England, a solitary paleontologist develops a life-changing relationship with a young apprentice sent to convalesce by the sea..

Workin' Moms Season 6 (2021) - Maternity leave is over and it's time for these four moms to return to work while navigating kids, bosses, love and life in modern-day Toronto.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

After watching the trailer I’d say the problem may be the quality of the actors.

All the best top fun action stuff has usually one or both of a quality lead and a quality villian. Alan Rickman and Bruce Willis looked born for those roles and played them with perfection.

The villian in it looks like a cut and paste jock who has confidence borne out of looks and nothing else.

The actress in the trailer immediately made me think of Elodie Yung who was wooden as feck in daredevil and gods of Egypt. The kind of actor that you just know is acting and doesn’t have that special talent that can make a movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nail on head there. The bad guy is weak sauce and looks like a plank of wood. Alan Rickman is the God Tier, but even something lesser but similar like the Under Siege films had Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Busey or Eric Bogosian adding that X Factor of psychotic charm to their respective bad guys. The producers knew Steven Segal had no talent so needed to be propped up by actual talent.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement

Netflix have told employees that the lower-priced ad-supported tier will be in place by the end of the year.

The New York Times reported that the company will begin its crackdown on password sharing as it looks to stem its financial problems.

Per the New York Times piece, Netflix executives said that they were aiming to introduce the ad-supported tier in the final three months of the year.

The note also indicated that Netflix were planning to begin cracking down on password sharing among its subscriber base around the same time.

Netflix lost 200,000 subscribers in the first three months of the year, with the New York Times reporting the company expected to lose two million more in the months ahead.

Reed Hastings, Netflix’s co-chief executive, told investors that the company would examine the possibility of introducing an advertising-supported platform and that it would try to “figure it out over the next year or two.”

In a note to employees, Netflix executives said their competitors HBO Max and Hulu have been able to “maintain strong brands while offering an ad-supported service.”

"Every major streaming company excluding Apple has or has announced an ad-supported service," the note said.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/on-demand-news/netflix-ads-2022-523583/

Our Father (2022) After a woman's at-home DNA test reveals multiple half-siblings, she discovers a shocking scheme involving donor sperm and a popular fertility doctor.

42 Days of Darkness Season 1 (Spanish) (2022) - In a town in Chile, a woman leads a frantic search to find her missing sister amid a media storm and the police investigation. Inspired by a true case

The Perfect Family (2022) (Spanish) At first, Lucía is taken aback by her son's girlfriend's eclectic family, but little does she know the impact they'll have on her prim and proper life

The Getaway King (2021) (Polish) - A folk-hero bandit known for his many prison breaks considers a fresh life path when he gets a new girlfriend. Based on the life of Zdzisław Najmrodzki.

Added

I would be curious to know how they're going to "crack down", and my initial guess is some kind of device limit on subscriptions (or is that already present? I can't recall). My house "shares" Netflix between a TV, iPad and laptop to would be frustrating to have that gate-kept when we're basically one household.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I reckon something like what Now TV has, where you can register up to 6 devices at any given time? If you want to add more you need to remove one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The Takedown (French dubbed) is quite watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

I started watching it this morning, about 1/2 way through, some laugh out loud moments . Stars Omar Sy (Lupin, Untouchables) but Laurent Lafitte as his partner steals every scene they're in

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There is a limit on number of screens but not devices. 1, 2 and 4 depending on the tier.

By that I mean I could use any of my phone, PS4, tablet, PC and XBox as long as, at most, 4 at the same time. But if they were to limit devices, maybe means I have to register the first 4 of those and can't use the Xbox without unregistering one of the others and registering the Xbox, as Irish Aris said.

Maverix (2022) Season 1 - Motocross teens go for big air as they try to beat their rivals, bring out the best in each other and win it all in this high-speed series.

Savage Beauty Season 1 (2022) - Seeking revenge for her tragic past, a mysterious woman embeds herself in a powerful family who possess a global beauty empire -- and dark secrets.

Spontaneous (2020) - Two high school seniors decide to live life to its fullest and find love on the way when their peers begin to inexplicably combust... literally

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

Our Father (2022) After a woman's at-home DNA test reveals multiple half-siblings, she discovers a shocking scheme involving donor sperm and a popular fertility doctor.

WOW! This is a lot crazier than described here. Been a while since I found some true crime this messed up. Cant take my eyes off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Spontaneous is well worth a watch...not a normal rom com..decent dashes of other genres

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I thought Spontaneous was rubbish and borderline offensive by the end. It was okay for a while and looked to be making some kind of point about a very obvious situation endemic to US high schools, and then it just lost its nerve or something and had an awful ending. Wildly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

Love* is sharing** a password.

* Love limited to 4 devices within 100m of home gps location at all times.

** All devices sharing subscription must be gps enabled or cabled to wifi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Knuckle is a great Irish documentary about traveler bare knuckle boxing. One of the main characters went on to beat his wife to death and is currently locked up, maybe even in a mental hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Michael ‘Mad Dog’ McDonagh serving his life sentence in Castlerea Prison.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

July 14th Resident evil , we've been burned before :)

• Advertisement

The Lincoln Lawyer Season 1 (2022) - Sidelined after an accident, hotshot Los Angeles lawyer Mickey Haller restarts his career -- and his trademark Lincoln -- when he takes on a murder case..

Senior Year (2022) - A cheerleading stunt gone wrong landed her in a 20-year coma. Now she’s 37, newly awake and ready to live out her high school dream: becoming prom queen. Rebel Wilson stars in this comedy alongside Sam Richardson and Zoë Chao.

New Heights Season 1 (2021) (Swiss German) - When business consultant Michi Wyss inherits his late father's troubled farm he must confront his rural past -- and his family's future...

Bling Empire Season 2 (2022) - Follow LA's wildly wealthy Asian and Asian American fun seekers as they go all out with fabulous parties, glamour and drama in this reality series..

Bigger Than Africa (2018) - This documentary follows the trans-Atlantic slave trade route from West Africa to the US, Brazil and the Caribbean in an exploration of Yoruba culture..

The Paedophile Hunter (2014) - In this documentary, a British online vigilante and his associates take a controversial approach to catching those who prey on children online.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I thought this might be about the Dutch fertility doctor that used his own sperm to fertilise the eggs of women seeking IVF at his clinic, but this is another, different guy! 🤬 UUUggghhh.

For anyone interested, there is a podcast called the Immaculate Deception on the Dutch guy, who I won't even lower myself to name. The podcast is very good though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Roadkill starring Hugh Laurie and Helen McCrory(RIP) is worth a watch, political thriller i guess it would be called, four hour long episodes, i'm hoping there's more

The Departed (2006) - Two rookie Boston cops are sent deep undercover -- one inside the gang of a charismatic Irish mob boss and the other double-crossing his own department..

Curse of the Witching Tree (2015) - When a family moves into a remote farmhouse, strange occurrences around the property lead them to confront its terrifying past.

Bad Hombres (2017) - At the start of the Trump administration, a documentary filmmaker visits the most trafficked migration route on Earth: a road from Guatemala to the US..

Blame Game (2018) - In the murky world of global electronic waste, a lack of recycling, legal gray areas and ruthless businesses have resulted in a toxic dump in Ghana.

Beer Is Cheaper Than Therapy (2011) - This documentary explores the tragic repercussions of fighting on the front lines for American soldiers and veterans at the Fort Hood military base.

Four in a Van (2020) (German) - This documentary follows a family of four on their monthslong road trip across South America as they go on adventures and face new challenges.

Lion (2016) An Indian man who was separated from his mother at age 5 and adopted by an Australian couple returns home, determined to find his birth family.

and quite a few spanish older releases , too many to list

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lion is a great movie and it's based on a true story. Dev Patel plays the lead but the boy who play the young version of the character is fantastic. Have a box of tissues handy.

Anytime I see The Departed mentioned, my brain immediately does a Boston accent and says "Deh Depahhted" 😁

Good film, crazy that was the one that got Scorsese's only Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You could follow The Departed with Black Mass and have yourself a Whitey Bulger double.

Both movies are on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

The Departed, one of my favourite ever films. That's my Saturday night sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just finished both seasons of The Missing which was recommended on this thread. It was a great shout, really good crime drama, both series are based on different storylines about children who go missing and the families/detectives efforts to find out what happened to them years later. One of those shows that was hard to turn off.

Also will second 'Knuckle', a documentary on bare knuckle boxing in the travelling community. A good watch.

• Advertisement

The Good Liar (2019) - A cagey con artist pursues a widowed Oxford professor with substantial savings -- but nothing is quite as it seems when it comes to this mark.

Added

Advertisement