Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

When they were first doing streaming, licence holders saw now value in streaming rights and sold/leased them cheaply..now that their value is clearly established, Disney, HBO etc all want to get people subbed to their own platforms - so regardless of what Netflix offers e.g. Disney it won't be enough to make more sense than Disney keeping e.g. the Fox film stable as a Disney+ exclusive.

Yay capitalism, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Really miss modern family on Netflix. Was one of my go to comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Heartstopper is lovely.

The comic was same and they have been really faithful to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought it was adorable.

I would have literally found a show like this life changing when I was in my teens and realising I might be gay.

Only 8 episodes and it flew.

Surprised to see Olivia Colman pop up!

• Advertisement

That’s amazing. Especially when something can have such a positive impact. Definitely watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Manson Family Massacre (2019) - After a musician moves into an infamous house, terrifying visions of the brutal murders committed by members of the Manson Family begin to haunt her

Spirit of the Ball (2018) (German) - One ball. One world. One bus. A small group of activists sets off in a minibus across 18 countries in Europe and the Middle East towards the World Cup..

Tour du Faso (2013) (German) - This atmospheric documentary follows three competitors in Africa's biggest cycling race: a local hero, a German adventurer and a French ex-professional...

added

quite a few other german releases today also

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Werewolves Within is a lot of fun. An easy watch with a good ensemble cast .

I notice Together Together seems to have disappeared again after its strange appearance a few weeks ago. Kicking myself I didn't watch it when I had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ah crap. I even said at the time I should watch it straight away as there was a high possibility it could disappear as it looked like it was added by accident.

Have yet to watch Werewolves Within.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'm watching The Missing at the moment. When they speak in French it's not showing subtitles. Is that on purpose or is something up? Only option is to put full subs on to know what they are saying in other languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Netflix are strange for subtitles sometimes. I had them on while watching Into the Night as they kept changing between languages but when they spoke French the subs said "(In English)"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,304 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't know about that show in particular, but that usually just means you don't need to know what's being said (and indeed that you're intended not to know, to be in the same position as the protagonist while others are talking around them).

The subs often get screwed up on Netflix. You gotta turn off Netflix, then turn off the power on your TV. Start it all up again and they should resync.

Liar (2020) Season 2 - A teacher goes on a date with a surgeon and accuses him of assault the next day. When the police don't believe her, she takes things into her own hands.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Abercrombie & Fitch documentary was pretty interesting but I felt like it didn't need to be 90 minutes long. Parts of the story felt dragged out and repetitive. The entire story could have been told in under an hour imo.

David Spade: Nothing Personal (2022) - David Spade riffs on the humiliations of doctor visits, lemur season in paradise, falling for clickbait and the one selfie he can never get right.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

started The Andy Warhol Diaries last night - it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

Watching anatomy of a scandal.

It won't be for everyone but I'm loving it.

What’s Coming to Netflix in May

Weekly Episodes Coming to Netflix UK in May 2022

Better Call Saul (Season 6) N – New episodes Tuesdays.

Green Mother’s Club (Season 1) N – New episodes Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Jump Like A Witch (Season 1) – New episodes Tuesdays.

Love ft. Marriage and Divorce (Season 3) N – Final episode on May 1st.

My Liberation Notes (Season 1) N – New episodes on May 1st, 7th and 8th.

Our Blues (Season 1) N – New episodes on Saturdays and Sundays.

Riverdale (Season 6) N – new episodes monday

The Gentlemen’s League – New episodes Sundays

May 1st

3 From Hell (2019) – Lionsgate movie from Rob Zombie. About a clan who breaks out of prison and unleashing chaos.

Ackley Bridge (Season 4) – Channel 4’s romance comedy series.

Against the Sun (2014) – Based on a true story and set during WW2, this movie follows three navy pilots who crash-landed in the Pacific Ocean.

Arpo (Season 1) – Moonbug Entertainment animation series.

Awakenings (1990) – Robert De Niro and Robin Williams star in this biopic following victims of the encephalitis epidemic.

Kedibone (2020) – South African drama.

Paycheck (2003) – Ben Affleck, Uma Thurman and Aaron Eckhart sci-fi adaptation about a computer genius who has his memory erased.

Piranha (2010) – Horror comedy starring Elisabeth Shue that sees a bloodbath ensue after an earthquake.

See For Me (2021) – Canadian thriller about a blind cat-sitter in a mansion gets raided by three thieves.

May 2nd

Octonauts: Above & Beyond (Season 2) N – British-produced kids animated series.

May 3rd

Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive (2022) N – Johanna Nordblad attempts to break the world record for distance traveled under ice with a single breath.

Showtime 1958 (2020) – Malaysian drama.

The Souvenir (2019) – A24 movie about a sheltered young film student beginning to find her voice as she becomes romantically involved with a sophisticated man.

May 4th

40 Years Young (2022) N – Mexican comedy about a cooking competition.

El Marginal (Season 5) N – Final season of the Argentinian crime thriller.

Meltdown: Three Mile Island (Season 1) N – Documentary on the accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania.

Summertime (Season 3) N – Final season of the Italian teen drama.

The Circle (Season 4) N – New Episodes Weekly – Return of the US reality series based on the Channel 4 format.

May 5th

Blood Sisters (Season 1) N – New thriller series out of EbonyLife.

Clark (Limited Series) N – swedish biopic series starring Bill Skarsgård as a notorious bank robber.

The Pentaverate (Season 1) N – A new comedy series starring Mike Myers in multiple roles. Set to also feature Jeremy Irons, Keegan-Michael Key and Jennifer Saunders.

Wild Babies (Season 1) N – Follow the adventures of baby lions, elephants, penguins, pangolins and more as they learn to navigate the highs and lows of life in the wild.

May 6th

Along for the Ride (2022) N – Teen film adaptation originally scheduled to release in April 2022. About a pair of carefree teens living freely for one last summer before heading to college.

Marmaduke (2022) N – Animated feature film about a mischievous dog with a big heart. Based on an American comic strip.

Selling Sunset: Reunion (2022) N – Special episode of Selling Sunset.

Thar (2022) N – Raj Singh Chaudhary directs this new Indian Western thriller. It’s about a man seeking his avenge his past.

The Sound of Magic (Season 1) N – A new K-drama fantasy series that’s akin to Peter Pan.

The Takedown (2022) N – Omar Sy and Laurent Lafitte head up this new French language action-comedy about a cop duo who are the polar opposites.

Welcome to Eden (Season 1) N – Spanish action thriller series.

May 7th

4Digital Media Horror Movies:

Valley of the Witch 

The Last House on Cemetery Lane 

The Amityville Theater 

Theater of Fear: AKA Midnight Horror Show 

Robert 

Haunting at the Rectory

Conjuring The Dead 

Doctor Sleep (2019) – Stephen King adaptation from Warner Brothers and directed by Mike Flanagan. Starring Ewan McGregor and Kyleigh Curran.

Elon Musk: The Real Life Iron Man (2018) – Documentary on the visionary Elon Musk.

I’m In Love With My Car (2017) – Italian documentary about the automotive industry and how it appeals to our senses.

Leaving Africa (2015) -Finnish documentary about two women reflecting on their friendship promoting sex education and gender equality in Uganda.

Wood Industry: A Business Against Nature – Documentary looking into the business practice of IKEA.

May 8th

Hairspray (2007) – Musical starring John Travolta.

May 10th

The Drowning (Season 1) – Channel 5 thriller series about a woman who finds her son after being missing for years but all is not what it seems.

Workin’ Moms (Season 6) N – Next season of the Canadian comedy series. 

May 11th

42 Days of Darkness (Season 1) N – Mystery series – When Verónica disappears, her sister begins a race against time to find her. In her search, Cecilia will have to fight against the authorities’ negligence, society’s prejudices, and harassment from the media.

Brotherhood (Season 2) N – Brazilian crime drama series.

Our Father (2022) N – After a woman’s at-home DNA test reveals multiple half-siblings, she discovers a shocking scheme involving donor sperm and a popular fertility doctor.

May 12th

Savage Beauty (Season 1) N – African series about the survivor of a product test that went horribly wrong seeking revenge.

Spontaneous (2020) – Katherine Langford and Charlie Plummer star in this comedy-horror about what happens when students start spontaneously exploding.

May 13th

Bling Empire (Season 2) N – Reality series.

Senior Year (2022) N – Rebel Wilson’s character wakes up after a 20-year coma to find out that school is very different to how it used to be.

The Lincoln Lawyer (Season 1) N – Based on the book, this new series follows a lawyer who operates out of his car in Los Angeles.

May 14th

Beer is Cheaper Than Therapy (2011) – Documentary from Simone de Vries on why suicides among young American veterans is so high.

City of Ember (2008) – Saoirse Ronan stars in this fantasy family movie directed by Gil Kenan.

May 16th

Vampire In The Garden (Season 1) N – Anime series from WIT STUDIO.

May 17th

The Future Diary (Season 2) N – Japanese reality series.

May 18th

Cyber Hell: Exposing an Internet Horror (2022) N – Documentary on secret online chat rooms that ran rampant with sex crimes.

Who Killed Sara? (Season 3) N – In this final season of the Spanish series, enemies become allies and the truth finally comes out.

May 19th

A Perfect Pairing (2022) N – Victoria Justice stars int his new rom-com about a LA wine company executive traveling out to star her own business but finds love along the way.

The Boss Baby: Back in the Crib (Season 1) N – The second TV series

The Photographer: Murder in Pinamar (2022) N – Covering the murder of the photojournalist José Luis Cabezas.

May 20th

Jackass 4.5 (2022) – An extended version of Jackass Forever that recently appeared in cinemas.

Love, Death + Robots (Volume 3) N – Animated anthology series.

May 23rd

Ghost in the Shell: Sac_2045 (Season 2) N – New episodes of the rebooted anime series.

May 25th

Somebody Feed Phil (Season 5) N – New episodes of the travel food docu-series from Phil Rosenthal.

May 26th

My Little Pony: Make Your Mark (2022) N – 44-minute short for My Little Pony directed by William Lau.

May 27th

Stranger Things (Season 4 – Volume 1) N – Releasing in two halves, Netflix’s expanded season of its flagship show will see the gang returning with lots of new faces.

The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe: The Unheard Tapes (2022) - This documentary explores the mystery surrounding the death of movie icon Marilyn Monroe through previously unheard interviews with her inner circle..

365 Days: This Day (2022) - Laura and Massimo are back and stronger than ever. But Massimo's family ties and a mysterious man bidding for Laura's heart complicate the lovers' lives

Silverton Siege (2022) - After a failed sabotage mission, a trio of anti-apartheid freedom fighters ends up in a tense bank hostage situation. Based on a true story

Bullsh*t The Gameshow (2022) Season 1 - Contestants strive to correctly answer difficult trivia questions. And when they can't, they simply move on to plan B: lying through their teeth.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭bullpost

I watched season 1 of The Missing. Very good - lots of twists and James Nesbit very good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Finished it last night. Excellent. I've started season 2 and it's just as good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Is this a UK remake of a Spanish drama called Lies & Deceit? I watched that recently on Netlfix and the story sounds identical. If so I'd highly recommend the Spanish version it was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The original season of the British series aired in 2017 or 2018 so if anything that Spanish series could be a remake.

Liar is actually also by the same lads who made The Missing spoken about above.

The Missing I probably preferred Season 2 myself, good show. I've only seen the first season of Baptiste (spinoff) which was reasonable but wouldn't hold it to the same standard.

Post edited by Wrongway1985 on

The 7 Lives of Lea (2022) Season 1 (French) - After finding a young man's remains, Léa wakes up in the 90s and body swaps seven times as she tries to solve the mystery of his death -- and prevent it.

Samurai Rabbit: The Usagi Chronicles (2022) 1 Season 1 - A teenage rabbit eager to become a true samurai teams up with his new warrior friends to protect their city from Yokai monsters, ninjas and evil aliens.

Bubble (2022) (Japanese) - In an abandoned Tokyo overrun by bubbles and gravitational abnormalities, one gifted young man has a fateful meeting with a mysterious girl.

The Nest (2020) Season 1- A teenager convinces a couple who are struggling to conceive to let her be their surrogate. But along with the baby, she carries a dark secret.

Ultimate Force (2006) Season 2This covert combat series focuses on the Red Troop, an elite group of soldiers from the British military's Special Air Service group.

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Nest is quite good. I remember watching it very early in the first lockdown and it being the only thing at that point in time that fully distracted me for an hour every week. The young girl playing Kaya is excellent. It's created and written by Nicole Taylor, who also wrote Wild Rose with Jesse Buckley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oof. Absolute proof positive Netflix is simply throwing money at the worst projects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quoting my own post, if only to highlight the contradiction at play here: that while money is thrown at busted flushes like Myers et al ... Netflix suddenly laid off a bunch of staff from its "tudum" blog; all part, presumably, of cost-cutting after their stocks took a plummet. The next 12 months will be fascinating 'cos I'm wondering if their easy-breezy attitudes to greenlighting anything & everything may come to a halt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah looks like uncertain times for netflix. As previous posters have said its harder for them to get good content added and their own stuff is very hit and miss. Gona watch last episodes of Ozark here then cancel my sub.

Advertisement