Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef strike II what's a fair base price for the Autumn for R=3= steers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Robson99

wrangler wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the AOs ignoring the faulty machines and over trimming and, as we know, no one will lose their jobs

Maybe it's time farmers contributed say €1 per head and we have our own guy appointed by say BPM in each factory monitoring the grading etc. Would be better spent than having monies deducted for the IFA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Robson99 wrote: »
    Maybe it's time farmers contributed say €1 per head and we have our own guy appointed by say BPM in each factory monitoring the grading etc. Would be better spent than having monies deducted for the IFA

He wouldn't be a wet week in the place when he'd be accused of being bought.
    I know......howabout the civil servants doing their jobs properly
    or is that totally out of the question.
    It's bad enough them getting our taxes but to have to pay someone as well to monitor the monitors would definitely make me cancel my levies.
    Anyway it's private property so won't be happening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭White Clover

It's bad enough them getting our taxes but to have to pay someone as well to monitor the monitors would definitely make me cancel my levies.

Stealing is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They wouldn't last long in their job if they were doing it properly.

They'd be pulled out and put elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

MIKEKC wrote: »

Boiling up was probably a better description, hopefully to boil over

Didn't think of it that way. Maybe I shouldn't have corrected my typo

• Advertisement

Stealing is illegal.

Who's stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Muckit wrote: »
    The problem is that far too many factories have no idea of business inside the farm gate and greatly underestimate the time effort and money it takes to rear beef cattle. Its next to impossible to rear an animal to 30 mths and make a margin. The factory market price has plummeted to under €3 50/kg.

How many factory men on here have actually gone out and tried to make a living rearing beef cattle? It's not very easy. Not very easy at all.

Do you not know how a market works?

Do you imagine prices are made on the basis of sentiment? On the appreciation (or not) of what the seller 'deserves'?

I've been selling cattle into the beef market since 1967 and since then (including 2019) it has always operated the same way - factories pay more when demand is high and less when demand is low. There is nothing special in any way about 2019. And this situation will never change.
    All this rubbish about a once and for ever change in how the business works and how things will never be the same again once the factories/the Minister/the IFA/the IFJ/Bord Bia/ are 'sorted' is absurd in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Base price

There's been a 'labelling' error on beef from ABP which was killed in both Ireland and the UK.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/bord-bia-orders-withdrawal-and-investigation-into-beef-with-erroneous-label-495079

Funny the week it shows up.
    Unfortunately I think there has been a lot of Bord Bia mis-labeling going on for years. As I've previously stated I buy some of our beef from the Lidl Deluxe range. I always look on the reverse of the packaging to see where it was slaughtered and cut. The steaks that I buy are slaughtered in Ireland but cut in Northern Ireland yet the packaging contains the normal Bord Bia QA logo with the tri-colour but that is the incorrect label. It should be a slightly different label that doesn't show the tri-colour. BTW I have no problem buying steaks from animals slaughtered in Ireland but cut/processed in the North but I think that if farmers have to jump through hoops to maintain their Bord Bia certification then the said organisation should be on top of the labeling issue.
    https://www.bordbia.ie/lifestyle/information/bord-bia-quality-mark/quality-mark-faqs/

Good loser wrote: »

Do you imagine prices are made on the basis of sentiment? On the appreciation (or not) of what the seller 'deserves'?

I've been selling cattle into the beef market since 1967 and since then (including 2019) it has always operated the same way - factories pay more when demand is high and less when demand is low. There is nothing special in any way about 2019. And this situation will never change.
    All this rubbish about a once and for ever change in how the business works and how things will never be the same again once the factories/the Minister/the IFA/the IFJ/Bord Bia/ are 'sorted' is absurd in the extreme.

There has been bad times before now and you just hang on in teh bumpy rides, hopefully it'll improve again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Good loser wrote: »
    The problem is that far too many factories have no idea of business inside the farm gate and greatly underestimate the time effort and money it takes to rear beef cattle. Its next to impossible to rear an animal to 30 mths and make a margin. The factory market price has plummeted to under €3 50/kg.

How many factory men on here have actually gone out and tried to make a living rearing beef cattle? It's not very easy. Not very easy at all.

It's not the way the chicken business works, contracts agreed before houses are filled, grower knows his margins depending on the usual variables.
    Neither rubbish nor sentiment, just good business for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭White Clover

Who's stealing

Factories stealing meat from farmers. They're not above the law, shouldn't be anyway.

Panch18 wrote: »
    You only have to read the comments of some on here to show that all logic is gone out the window, in fact the whole beef plan had no logic to begin with, it’s just chance your arm stuff!

Spot on there Panch.

Reason and even commonsense are suspended while conspiracy theories, illogicality and ráiméis rule the roost.

It's not the way the chicken business works, contracts agreed before houses are filled, grower knows his margins depending on the usual variables.

I thought they didn't own the chickens, grower provides just the work and buildings,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I thought they didn't own the chickens, grower provides just the work and buildings,

Could be the way to go for beef. No big money tied up in stock

If there were as many beef farmers as chicken farmers it might work there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Tileman

Was fairly heated in the Bord bia tent today when I was there. Allot of emotion and passion on display. Not sure how the few lads getting most of the stick were able to remain so diplomatic to be honest.

Will be interesting to see how they fare after another 2 days of it. Huge resentment at authorizing the factories in other juristication.

Talking to allot of people today at the ploughing and it has allot of support still. However I thought Michael D spoke well. This isn’t the endgame but a stepping stone to an improvement. Think they protest has achieved all it can for the moment and they should step down and see how the agreement works out. Can always go back next summer when the grass is plentiful again.

it’s a Funny saw pat mcfonagh supermacs walking around and warmly received but there was a few politicians afraid to come out of their tents.

Being done already in feedlots, :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Piece on beef blockade right now on primetime.

The factory feedlots that Bass rants about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Tileman wrote: »
    Was fairly heated in the Bord bia tent today when I was there. Allot of emotion and passion on display. Not sure how the few lads getting most of the stick were able to remain so diplomatic to be honest.

Will be interesting to see how they fare after another 2 days of it. Huge resentment at authorizing the factories in other juristication.

Talking to allot of people today at the ploughing and it has allot of support still. However I thought Michael D spoke well. This isn’t the endgame but a stepping stone to an improvement. Think they protest has achieved all it can for the moment and they should step down and see how the agreement works out. Can always go back next summer when the grass is plentiful again.

it’s a Funny saw pat mcfonagh supermacs walking around and warmly received but there was a few politicians afraid to come out of their tents.

This is gas .met noone that.says it should continue. It seems all the strikers talk to each other and all the non strikers talk to each other

• Advertisement

A few years ago the growers were on the Late Late Show stating that they only received 7/8c per bird reared to slaughter. They had to cover all losses.
    TBH I think that is the way beef farming is going to go in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Here's the con - "Base price cannot will not be discussed"

Like it hasn't been discussed between MII reps/cartel when setting their base prices over many years now. Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Dunedin

The Pat Spillane of the farming forum. :D

Mod Snip. 24 hr ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Base price wrote: »
    A few years ago the growers were on the Late Late Show stating that they only received 7/8c per bird reared to slaughter. They had to cover all losses.
    TBH I think that is the way beef farming is going to go in the future.

Its a lucrative business and growers are getting many multiples of that .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The payment per bird was 37c and they farmers wanted to rise that.

Water John wrote: »
    The payment per bird was 37c and they farmers wanted to rise that.
    That doesn't include the cost of their labour, losses and I think electricity (heating/cooling) if I remember what was stated in the Late Late Show at the time. However I will stand corrected as it was a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 37c covered all costs except chick and feed TMK.

Some of the meat processors, a couple of years ago, started buying strong calves and tried setting up an operation similar to the chickens. They quickly found out, there was no money in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Vat scam that the feedlots, IFA, Government, and Larry are all together scamming the system. EU courts are moving to change it though. French pig farmers recently won a case against the Germans for the same scam.

Vat scam that the feedlots, IFA, Government, and Larry are all together scamming the system. EU courts are moving to change it though. French pig farmers recently won a case against the Germans for the same scam.

Public services don't deserve our taxes anyway, What's your problem, do you want all farmers to register for VAT......This is more of the Beef Plan rubbish, have ye's not done enough harm yet to ordinary farmers , Ye are really turning the knife in them by making their Vat refund illegal.
    A farmer actually worried about tax evasion.....and in Ireland as well, I've seen it all now pfffft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

The chickens business operates the same way as the feedlot. The processor owns the chickens and pays for the feed. The farmer gets paid a contracted price to rear them.

This thread has been spitting fire about the evils of the feedlot..

Is it OK now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement