Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef strike II what's a fair base price for the Autumn for R=3= steers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Joe Brolly more like...

Wrangler is going to be on dancing with the Stars in January, his going national.

Government with full support of EU, needs to smash into these organisations with a steel fist, sooner rather than later.

What ever about the govt the EU has no problems with the factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The problem as I see it, is that meat and many other food products for that matter, from the farmers perspective are perishable products. Made all the more perishable and expensive to produce, as a result of pretty draconian regulations.
    In such a market situation, the normal competition laws should have some sort of set aside or government intervention, to prevent the market elements higher up the chain, from taking advantage of the weak position of the holder of the perishable product. The farmer.
    Surely the principle laws of natural justice, should allow government to have the power, to prevent and gouging by any contributor in the chain including the farmer.

The big processor in this country AND the big retailers, are all allowed to operate on huge scale, and not a single one of them are compelled to make returns to government which detail their operating margins by major product lines. Meanwhile the farmer can’t hardly move a beast from one paddock to the next without notifying a couple of quangos ......

Government with full support of EU, needs to smash into these organisations with a steel fist, sooner rather than later.

I think what you are missing is that this is exactly the situation that government want. Large commercial entities will always be preferred and protected above low status farmers.
    I for one don’t see a satisfactory resolution from this for farmers, why on earth would factories Up their base price ?? The country is awash with beef, they sit back and the phone rings off the wall with lads begging to get cattle in, gone are the days of having to go out and secure numbers. If 20% of beef farms went broke and planted in the morning there would still be a glut of beef being produced here so I see no need for factories to cough up.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

_Brian wrote: »
    I think what you are missing is that this is exactly the situation that government want. Large commercial entities will always be preferred and protected above low status farmers.
    I for one don’t see a satisfactory resolution from this for farmers, why on earth would factories Up their base price ?? The country is awash with beef, they sit back and the phone rings off the wall with lads begging to get cattle in, gone are the days of having to go out and secure numbers. If 20% of beef farms went broke and planted in the morning there would still be a glut of beef being produced here so I see no need for factories to cough up.

Your logic says there are too many animals entering the beef chain. Finishers by extension should have the pricing power over the suckler farmers, and pay a price which leaves them with an acceptable margin.
    Why isn’t basic supply demand economics applying here as you would expect?

Your logic says there are too many animals entering the beef chain. Finishers by extension should have the pricing power over the suckler farmers, and pay a price which leaves them with an acceptable margin.

The intervention of direct payments skews the market considerably.
    Plenty living of direct payments whonare either producing cattle at a loss or finishing for loss or break even. Direct payments have allowed this develop and processors/retailers have capitalised on the desire of lads to keep farming on ever smaller and smaller margins until we are where we are today.

It’s not really a standard free market as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

48 hours on, has there been any factory that was picketed now not getting picketed or are things same as they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

_Brian wrote: »
    Why are they out of beef after 2 weeks if there is such a glut of cattle.. seems to me they have plenty of demand for it.
    Imagine all the jobs that would be lost if the beef industry is goosed?? Wonder did that ever enter Creeds head ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

eorna wrote: »
    Cant understand why price cant be negotiated and is anti competitive..
    Sure we can argue minimum wage is anti competitive.
    But it needs to be there in order to avoid “back to slavery times”.
    So if you have a business and are loosing money and cant pay your employees cant say.. sure there is no demand will give you 1€ /hour..
    Why is the difference??

I have been quite vocal on here about this picket etc etc

However i have to say it is an absolute disgrace the way, both this time and previously with the IFA, that farmers have been treated by the competition authority. Especially when you consider how the factories seem to work in unison.

That competition authority are 1 of the greatest shower of modsnip ever created and if a load or 2 of slurry happened to be spread across the front of their building with that shower inside, then that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Another reason is that there is a very long lead in to supply. Cattle that should be going in to the factory now at 30 months were conceived in July 2016.
    If a farmer raising his own cattle all the way decided to give up today he still has three years of animals organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Robson99 wrote: »
    Any sign of Willfarm to come back ?.
    Badly missed on farming forums

yeah he was back on the other thread with a different name, can't think of it off the top of my head

• Advertisement

Why are they out of beef after 2 weeks if there is such a glut of cattle.. seems to me they have plenty of demand for it.
    Imagine all the jobs that would be lost if the beef industry is goosed?? Wonder did that ever enter Creeds head ??

That’s just modern commercial logistics. Nobody stocks appreciateable volumes of everything but instead relies on a planned movement of goods “just in time”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Joe Brolly more like...

Victor Mildrew more like,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Danzy wrote: »
    Wrangler is going to be on dancing with the Stars in January, his going national.

Was told ten years ago I had the arteries of an eighty year old so the only way I'd be dancing with the stars is on the way up to wherever.
    I'm like a tractor running on bad diesel now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

statements on beef in the oireachtas live now https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/oireachtas-tv-channel/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Panch18 wrote:
    That competition authority are 1 of the greatest shower of modsnip ever created and if a load or 2 of slurry happened to be spread across the front of their building with that shower inside, then that would be great

You can't have minimum purchase prices on an open market. If you want to agree a price via a contract a farmer(more likely a group of farmers) is going to have make it more beneficial for factories to deal with them directly than the open market.

The reasons for the low prices and very low bargaining power of farmers is text book economics. Loads of supply spread across a large amount of suppliers with very few buyers. You also have relatively clear information prices. Factories are naturally going to offer very similar prices when it's very easy to figure out what their competitors are paying via public sources. It would be very strange if there were any large deviations given how much information is available on beef prices.

Minimum purchase prices are very hard to enforce. Look at the issues the government has had with minimum prices for alcohol.

wrangler wrote: »
    Was told ten years ago I had the arteries of an eighty year old so the only way I'd be dancing with the stars is on the way up to wherever.

I hope you drive for miles and miles yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

They are out of beef because the picketers won't allow cattle in or beef out of the factories. Cattle boiling up on many farms

Would there be the same demand if they paid €4/kg for it I wonder....... just saying.
    Creed can't set the beef price, this mess is not of his making

MIKEKC wrote: »
    MIKEKC wrote: »
    They are out of beef because the picketers won't allow cattle in or beef out of factories. Cattle are building up on many farms

Boiling up was probably a better description, hopefully to boil over

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Every utterance, every press release, every appeal from establishment since protests have begun has exposed the belligerence and contempt the establishment holds for the farmer. The establishment are digging a hole deeper by the day.

The more this goes on MII, Bord Bia et al are exposing the cloak they have been hiding behind. This protest is not about now it is about the last 20 years of MANIPULATION. Are we the new fishermen? no chance.

Just because we don't wear a sharp suit doesn't mean we are thick.

They still take us for fools even though we have come to this empass.

• Advertisement

Every utterance, every press release, every appeal from establishment since protests have begun has exposed the belligerence and contempt the establishment holds for the farmer. The establishment are digging a hole deeper by the day.

The more this goes on MII, Bord Bia et al are exposing the cloak they have been hiding behind. This protest is not about now it is about the last 20 years of MANIPULATION. Are we the new fishermen? no chance.

Just because we don't wear a sharp suit doesn't mean we are thick.

They still take us for fools even though we have come to this empass.

Very disappointed with the AOs ignoring the faulty machines and over trimming and, as we know, no one will lose their jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's been a 'labelling' error on beef from ABP which was killed in both Ireland and the UK.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/bord-bia-orders-withdrawal-and-investigation-into-beef-with-erroneous-label-495079

Funny the week it shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Very impressed with Eddie Punch speaking to Agriland.

Muckit wrote: »

He's very good, I really enjoy his presentations any where I 've seen him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Muckit wrote: »

he gave a a good interview on clare fm as well

now the sh1t is starting to hit the fan ,

https://clarechampion.ie/kepak-lay-off-all-clare-employees-and-suspend-e6-5m-investment/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Listening to lovely Leo in the dail today was like listening to an MII rep

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

wrangler wrote: »

yes your definitely spluttering

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

There's been a 'labelling' error on beef from ABP which was killed in both Ireland and the UK.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/bord-bia-orders-withdrawal-and-investigation-into-beef-with-erroneous-label-495079

Funny the week it shows up.

the local centra had Danish stuff few weeks back... guess what when they were challenged it was a wrong label..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

orm0nd wrote: »
    he gave a a good interview on clare fm as well

now the sh1t is starting to hit the fan ,

https://clarechampion.ie/kepak-lay-off-all-clare-employees-and-suspend-e6-5m-investment/

Oh 1400 staff is a big deal...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement