Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

We need housing for people that are working in Dubin.

I'm struggling to see any difference between what you are saying and what some politicians have been saying tbh. If they are guilty of racism, so are you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The "not my town, anywhere but my town" mindset is exemplified most by Dublin and Dubs on here. They always come up with some bullsh1t excuse for not having DPCs in Dublin. Its laughable how they criticise everyone else but want nothing to do with DPCs themselves.

They also prioritise Irish homeless over asylum seekers as has been repeatedly said on here. But as soon as a non Dub does the same they scream racist.

As hypocritical as you can get.
    Speaking as an eighth generation jackeen, I agree with you T.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Speaking as an eighth generation jackeen, I agree with you T.

Thanks. I should have said some Dubs so apologies.

Dublin gets the jobs, rural Ireland gets the migrants, is the line from the government.

Enough is enough and the pushback has began by the people of Oughterard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just look back ten years ago.

Yes, and the Country is still trying replace all the skilled people who left.....one of the reason's the building business is behind schedule is the shortage of plumber's, carpenter's, block layers, electrician's etc. And that's only one kind of skilled worker, there are other's. But no doubt, the Country's they emigrated to are benefiting.

Id have the refugees over alot of other social cases we already have in the country. At least they might want to contribute as oppossed to never. This discussion is about the town. The town dont want these people because it's Nice not to see refugees in their own town and quiet ly frankly their country folk who are scared to the foreign lads...

No one has an issue with a fair and equitable distribution of refugees, bogus or otherwise.

The problem is with a massively disproportionate distribution to a single town which completely changes the character of the town and puts pressure on limited resources. And that's not to mention the information vacuam worthy of the USSR post Chernobyl.

Tell them nothing is the attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I wonder why the Dept of Justice didn’t once stop to think that by not consulting communities whatsoever about DIrect Provision centers it would at some point completely backfire ? Also, questioning the legitimacy of migrants or refugees does not make you racist. The Irish are often questioned abroad about there qualifications and contributions to society. This happens quite often in Australia, the US and parts of Asia. Is it racism or discrimination ? No, it’s not ! The Government are clearly trying to push some sort of weird depopulation agenda and if we question it we are now labeled bigots and racists. Last time I checked we lived in a democracy? Does that not mean we do not necessarily have to agree with everything the Government try to enforce on us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I wonder why the Dept of Justice didn’t once stop to think that by not consulting communities whatsoever about DIrect Provision centers it would at some point completely backfire ? Also, questioning the legitimacy of migrants or refugees does not make you racist. The Irish are often questioned abroad about there qualifications and contributions to society. This happens quite often in Australia, the US and parts of Asia. Is it racism or discrimination ? No, it’s not ! The Government are clearly trying to push some sort of weird depopulation agenda and if we question it we are now labeled bigots and racists. Last time I checked we lived in a democracy? Does that not mean we do not necessarily have to agree with everything the Government try to enforce on us ?

I'd imagine that the govt thinking is, if we publish in advance, a list of planned DP center's for X, Y and Z in 2020, the ink would not be even dry on the paper before the protest's would start, So they take chance, and "drop" a DP Centre smack in the middle of places like Oughterard, and see what happen's..what have they got to lose??? And who know's....it might even work???
    This whole asylum / immigration question need's to be debated openly....People whose lives may be affected by this, need to be consulted....and not just at local level, as is the case in Oughterard....it need's debate on a national level. If this was done...then it may become more acceptable to people. As it is, it's just generating mistrust of a Government who seem more interested in following EU dictate's than the wish's of the people who elected them. The old "Racist" card is long worn out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Hal3000 wrote: »

We all know full well why the department doesn't communicate its intentions.
    Its because they know full well the majority are chancers and they know equally that the citizenry know full well that the majority are chancers also.
    We all know.

For them to advertise it in advance would be stupid because they know full well that no one wants these centres near their family homes and they know exactly why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

consultant with the community before you plant these people into rural villages , what's to be afraid of ? if the people dont want them , then why put them in there .if they are not welcome , why go against a community , that what a community is , a bunch of reasonably happy folk who all try and get along .
    why go against their will .
    it seems so ridiculous .

these people should not be left into Europe , it's total Bullsht .

so government , get off her ass and process them super fast and send them home .
    our dole is too good ,
    it draws more and more to come ,

it's the tax payer that has to fund all this while our own services suffer .

I am voting for DONALD

• Registered Users Posts: 39,955 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Many things such as the lack of a college education, poor skillsets, literacy and even work ethic perhaps. But sure ignore all that, and pull out the R-card.

I didn't play the race card son, I paraphrased a report, you know this because we discussed it before, the report also found that Africans in Ireland have higher third level participation rates than the Irish. Again this is not my opinion, you do understand the difference right?

Now like I have asked you before which report are you paraphrasing or are you like I suspect just dipping into the well?

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Racism is why they are not working?

Right that is a lot of racist employers out there in Ireland.:eek: Could they not try and get work then with non-racist employers? You would expect to find one eventually if you keep trying. If I was a genuine worker and found the people in the country I had moved to were actually real racists and wouldn't employ me on that count, I'd move elsewhere. I wouldn't think to sit on the dole as a sponger. Would you? How is that justifiable in a context of Ireland not actually owing them anything? How does it fit in with narrative of 'they just want a better life' that the media often uses?

If you have commissioned or read a report that refutes it by all means link it up son.
    topper75 wrote: »
    The length of time in DP doesn't work either as a reason because the law now accommodates them working whilst seeking refugee status. Bananas policy, but there we go.

They only gained the right to work recently.

But do tell me in your opinion, for anyone really - Irish or Non Irish, how being out of the workforce for years does not harm future employment prospects?

I'll give you a hint, it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I don't get it , rights to this , rights to that ,
    if they had any respect for our right and our border then they should have stayed at home and fight their own fight .

do people not get it , if you are a illegal immigrant then you are illegal till you are made not .
    it's just so crazy that you can just waltz over the border into Europe ,
    no wonder the UK want out , on this major topic .
    that's what has the yanks pumping on also .
    illegal immigrants .

kerry cow wrote: »
    if they had any respect for our right and our border then they should have stayed at home and fight their own fight .

do people not get it , if you are a illegal immigrant then you are illegal till you are made not .
    illegal immigrants .

Oh yeah the Yanks and Brits have their finger on the pulse and we should copy them. :pac:

The majority of illegals in both countries enter the country legally and then overstay their Visas. It's fúck all to do with the EU or Mexico. :rolleyes:

But that might be a bit long to stick on the side of a bus so the little Englanders can understand it.

Incidentally Bojo wants to give them all an amnesty.

The Racist types in Blighty ain't too happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭enricoh

Boggles wrote: »
    If you have commissioned or read a report that refutes it by all means link it up son.

They only gained the right to work recently.

But do tell me in your opinion, for anyone really - Irish or Non Irish, how being out of the workforce for years does not harm future employment prospects?

I'll give you a hint, it does.

Here son, will ya explain this one away to us on here, third world immigration to the uk cost the uk 120 billion in the last 17 years, while eu migration benefitted the econony by 4 billion, thanks in advance:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11209234/Immigration-from-outside-Europe-cost-120-billion.html&ved=2ahUKEwiJmdH799nkAhUht3EKHckMC0kQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1x7QIWapR4ClVv5ehzRer7&cshid=1568794800028

enricoh wrote: »
    Here son, will ya explain this one away to us on here, third world immigration to the uk cost the uk 120 billion in the last 17 years, while eu migration benefitted the econony by 4 billion, thanks in advance:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11209234/Immigration-from-outside-Europe-cost-120-billion.html&ved=2ahUKEwiJmdH799nkAhUht3EKHckMC0kQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1x7QIWapR4ClVv5ehzRer7&cshid=1568794800028

Thank you son. The report was not from the last 17 years, but anyway have you a link to the actual report?

But anyway the solution is to leave the EU?

Comedy gold. We should definitely mimic them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

kerry cow wrote: »

illegal immigrants .

they're not Illegal immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Some of the posters on here should pop into the residents car park in mosney.
    How do they manage to run cars and buy sanitary products on e39?!
    #defonotspoofers!

They’re not getting any more than the €39 a week. I’m wondering why you can’t stretch that vivid imagination to the possibility that some asylum seekers actually arrive with sufficient money to buy a car? Having savings isn’t an issue in seeking asylum, and as already outlined, transport is a requirement of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭enricoh

Boggles wrote: »
    Thank you son. The report was not from the last 17 years, but anyway have you a link to the actual report?

But anyway the solution is to leave the EU?

Comedy gold. We should definitely mimic them. :D

So no explanation why third world migration cost the uk 120 billion in 17 years, something about brexit instead though!
    comedy gold is right boggles, yer doing great work, keep it coming!

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Yeah whatever, at least im not allowing myself to be taken for a fool like you.

Cribbing about transport for refugees that transported themselves thousands and thousands of miles to get here.

Wise up.

It’s a well-known fact that an airbus is the most convenient means of ensuring your kid gets to school each morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    They’re not getting any more than the €39 a week. I’m wondering why you can’t stretch that vivid imagination to the possibility that some asylum seekers actually arrive with sufficient money to buy a car? Having savings isn’t an issue in seeking asylum, and as already outlined, transport is a requirement of life.

They can also tap up the CWO for expenses too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

alastair wrote: »
    It’s a well-known fact that an airbus is the most convenient means of ensuring your kid gets to school each morning.

Im sure a bus would be much cheaper and a lot easier to organise. Plenty of money for flights but cant afford bus fare. Pull the other one.

My meals, medical, dental etc isn’t free.

Why would someone who is brand new to the country need a transport budget??

I don’t get out of course payments for clothes etc.

“You may be entitled to assistance towards clothing when you arrive and to other exceptional needs from time to time” - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/services_for_asylum_seekers_in_ireland/direct_provision.html#startcontent

What exactly has their being new to the country got to do with transport needs? They need transport for the regular stuff that everyone needs transport for - provisions, school, bureaucracy, doctor, etc etc.

So no explanation why third world migration cost the uk 120 billion in 17 years, something about brexit instead though!
    comedy gold is right boggles, yer doing great work, keep it coming!

In discussion with a poster that the UK were dead right to leave the EU, you post up a media report about how much value EU nationals add. That I'm afraid is pretty funny son. :)

Like I asked have you a link to the actual report, the data at best it nearly 10 years old, at worst 25.

Maybe something more recent? A quick google suggests the report was far too narrow and pretty inaccurate.

Anyway from the piece.
    Experts from University College London also said native Britons made a negative contribution of £591 billion over the 17 years

Bingo, get rid of the British people too.

In fact the only ones adding value to Blighty seems to be EU nationals.

But sure lets leave the EU.

I can't stop laughing. :pac:

markodaly wrote: »

The Dublin regulation provides no obligation on the asylum seeker. Fact.

From the Irish Times this very day:
    Myth No 2: They were supposed to seek asylum in the first country they entered

The Refugee Convention dates from 1951, before the era of mass plane travel. If asylum seekers were obliged to remain in their first country of entry, few would have ever made it to western Europe or North America. (In fact, even today most don’t: in both absolute and relative terms, the largest refugee populations are found in African, South Asian and Middle Eastern countries.)

Many people mistakenly believe that the Dublin Regulation requires asylum seekers to apply in the first EU member state they reach. However, the Dublin Regulation places duties on states, not on applicants. In some – not all – cases, a member state may be deemed responsible for processing the application of a person who passed through its territory. But there is no rule that obliges someone to just stay there and apply in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

A few years ago I think there was asylum seekers put in a hotel in Roscahill which was closer to Galway than Oughterard and they wouldn't stay because it was too far from the city. Maybe these buckos will have the same complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Cordell

-they are not working because racism
    -that's not true!
    -produce a report to prove that it is not true!

It does not work like this.

Meanwhile in real life all kind of foreigners of all kind of colours have no issue finding employment.

They don't have to buy sanitary products, they are provided for them and if for some reason they are not already provided they can request them.

They are not provided. Untrue. A recent Dail motion proposed they should be, but that’s not the status quo.

Bullocks wrote: »
    A few years ago I think there was asylum seekers put in a hotel in Roscahill which was closer to Galway than Oughterard and they wouldn't stay because it was too far from the city. Maybe these buckos will have the same complaint?

Really? Have you a link to that?

If they don't stay they are out on the streets.

AFAIK if they stay away for 3 nights they forfeit their place.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    But its been shown that the vast majority of these refugees are scammers. I dont wanna be living beside these people coming in with fake identities, no one knows who they are or anything about them. Murderers and rapists among them without a shadow of a doubt.

Im sorry but f**k that. Its harsh on the genuine refugees but there arent that many genuine ones coming here anyway.

We need to look after our own and do what is in our best interests. We are Getting bullied by the EU into taking more and more. They should be told to where to go.

Load of bollocks.

Again from the Irish Times today:
    Myth No 1: The high refusal rate shows that most asylum seekers are “bogus”

In order to receive a declaration of refugee status, an applicant must show that her fear of persecution stems from a Refugee Convention ground: race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership of a particular social group. A person can face a genuine threat to their life, but if it is not based on one of these categories, their claim must be refused.

Subsidiary protection status removes the need to fit into a convention ground, and also applies to people fleeing indiscriminate violence in conflict – but even so, it can be refused to people with genuine claims. If the country of origin has a functioning police force, for example, the applicant may be refused on the basis that state protection is available. In practice, however, this may mean no more than that if the threat materialises and you are murdered or tortured, your assailant will be brought to justice.

A few cases I have dealt with that show how high the bar is include: a man who had a leg cut off with a chainsaw; a practising Christian from an Islamic country that executes “blasphemers”; and an Iraqi who was refused on the grounds that Kurdistan was “safe”, at a time when the Isis front line was within an hour’s drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

Bullocks wrote: »

I think you might be referring to the one that was in Cloonabinnia near Moycullen rather than Roscahill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement