Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Your post is utter nonsense to be honest.

TBH your comprehension difficulties is not by problem.

So as you were lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Nothing to stop them building new DPCs in Dublin on publicly owned land. Nothing at all.

Instead of sending them off to the middle of Connemara.

We need housing for people that are working in Dubin. Best to put direct provision centres in towns like this one where no one wants to live. Only locals and then its the ones that can find work there which isnt many. The rest go to galway or Dublin.

Boggles wrote: »
    What do you think the difference is between commandeering a closed hotel in the west of Ireland to doing the same in Dublin or building one?

I suspect the difference its not my town any where but my town

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Does anybody really want these centres in their town though?

Fighting among ourselves about where they should go isnt the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I meant monetary wise.

Galway City is 16 miles away, they have all that.

There is 8 bus journeys daily to the city, ironically the bus stop is located outside the proposed hotel.

I notice you managed to find one point to hang your point on.
    Some bus routes that pass through the town.

What about the others ?

Oh yeah there are hospitals and doctors within 30kms.
    Except that is in effect Galway city.
    I wonder how long one has to wait to get appointment with some of those GPs ?

And that would be the same city with main hospital that has people left on trolleys.
    I think it has reached nearly 50 at one point waiting for a bed.

Or maybe you reckon they should get access to the private hospitals Bon
    Securs or Galway Clinic and shure leave the locals in the public one. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Another TD has just talked about the issue of looking after our own people first and then when that is all done, then we can look at helping immigrants. Not that economic migrants should get any help, but true refugees should get help over illegal migrants flooding this island. This TD is also fully correct in what he said in my opinion, yet he is told that what he is saying is very dangerous, how is saying that looking after your own citizens first is a very dangerous thing to say? Are native Irish citizens so bad of a people that we cannot even say that they should be helped firstly in their own native land?.

Well that's the current stereotypical attitude of the left these days i.e how dare you say anything that appears to elevate yourself or your people - it's discriminatory, it's prejudicial, it's racist, it's non-inclusive etc etc Yawn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Has anyone seen the meme's and joke's about Oughterard ?

They're absolutely hilarious, I'm not friends with any Liberals Sjw's or third wave femminists...
    So I've offended nobody by sending the joke's.

Have you seen the one where....

And that other one when...

Oh yeah and the one with the locals and they all....

There's cracker and it's absolutely hillarious, imagine sending that one to skummy smelly rancidity horrific Sjw's....

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Does anybody really want these centres in their town though?

Fighting among ourselves about where they should go isnt the answer.

Doesnt bother me..irish are all over the world. Look back at our past. We exist because of other countries took our sick , your destitute and gave them a future. . Not only for them but the ones left behind . Life is short and I dont hold any hinges against people fleeing war or desperate situations. With migration comes opportunity to expand not only our mind s but help our economy to grow and Prosper . With new ideas and new cultures .

jmayo wrote: »
    I notice you managed to find one point to hang your point on.
    Some bus routes that pass through the town.

What about the others ?

I wonder how long one has to wait to get appointment with some of those GPs ?

And that would be the same city with main hospital that has people left on trolleys.
    I think it has reached nearly 50 at one point waiting for a bed.

Or maybe you reckon they should get access to the private hospitals Bon
    Securs or Galway Clinic and shure leave the locals in the public one. :rolleyes:

How do the locals survive ... must be terrible living there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Doesnt bother me..irish are all over the world. Look back at our past. We exist because of other countries took our sick , your destitute and gave them a future. . Not only for them but the ones left behind . Life is short and I dont hold any hinges against people fleeing war or desperate situations. With migration comes opportunity to expand not only our mind s but help our economy to grow and Prosper . With new ideas and new cultures .

But its been shown that the vast majority of these refugees are scammers. I dont wanna be living beside these people coming in with fake identities, no one knows who they are or anything about them. Murderers and rapists among them without a shadow of a doubt.

Im sorry but f**k that. Its harsh on the genuine refugees but there arent that many genuine ones coming here anyway.

We need to look after our own and do what is in our best interests. We are Getting bullied by the EU into taking more and more. They should be told to where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Doesnt bother me..irish are all over the world. Look back at our past. We exist because of other countries took our sick , your destitute and gave them a future. .
    Oh bloody hell, not this stuff again.

Other countries most certainly didn't take our "sick". If you rocked up at Ellis Island with anything communicable you weren't getting in.

Secondly the nations that "took us in" where overwhelmingly European colonies looking for more bodies, they needed immigrants.

Thirdly when that need dropped off they got increasingly more strict about what you were bringing to the table for their society. Your great great grandfather could have sailed to New York with a good chance of getting in, you try it today without skills they need. Goes for most of those nations.

Fourthly, social safety nets like dole and housing were pretty much nonexistent.

So yeah, maybe you should look back at our past, only try and read up on the actual history of mass migrations to the New World, rather than the usual trite nonsense regularly peddled out as a reply.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

So much wrong with this lazy backwards-looking whataboutery, it's hard to know where to start.

i). The Irish more often than not staffed hospitals across the world, instead of attending them as health tourists, as you imply.

ii). Swathes of the barely literate unskilled 20-something lads will do jack for the economy, it's a form of charity that is all, bar the odd exception. A bit of charity is good, but also important not to get carried away with it.

iii). A quick look at the last two months figures, shows none of the top 5 countries are war-torn situations. Thus: economic migrants not genuine cases. Indeed genuine cases (usually from Syria) are loosing out to traffickers. E.g. Is there a war in Albania? Or is there highly sophisticated criminal network.

iv) Expansion of such centres may help the economy collapse (not grow) when the C'Tax party ends, and brexitious shortly wipes out 100,000jobs. Then your left looking after thousands of illterate unskilled men dumped in random locations. New ideas? Old ideas you mean.

Finally, as far as expanding minds: read a good book of look for some of those funny forest mushrooms.

jmayo wrote: »

25km to one of the country's main hospitals is relatively close.

Far closer than I am to one and I live in a large urban town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Say what. Irish people emigrated years ago but it wasn't for a life of luxury. Hard graft to keep their head above water I'd reckon in a land in a lot of cases where racism was directed at them too. Yes we don't need to emulate that but it's this mind of we owe the world something. We don't.
    If ya can't see we are being taken advantage of our generousity which is well recieved from genuine refugees and appreciated. Well I can't help ya.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    But its been shown that the vast majority of these refugees are scammers. I dont wanna be living beside these people coming in with fake identities, no one knows who they are or anything about them. Murderers and rapists among them without a shadow of a doubt.

Im sorry but f**k that. Its harsh on the genuine refugees but there arent that many genuine ones coming here anyway.

We need to look after our own and do what is in our best interests. We are Getting bullied by the EU into taking more and more. They should be told to where to go.

It's been shown ? Can you show the evidence 1 you dont even know these people. Ireland has taken virtually none so far. Ireland needs to step up

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh bloody hell, not this stuff again.

Other countries most certainly didn't take our "sick". If you rocked up at Ellis Island with anything communicable you weren't getting in.

Secondly the nations that "took us in" where overwhelmingly European colonies looking for more bodies, they needed immigrants.

Thirdly when that need dropped off they got increasingly more strict about what you were bringing to the table for their society. Your great great grandfather could have sailed to New York with a good chance of getting in, you try it today without skills they need. Goes for most of those nations.

Fourthly, social safety nets like dole and housing were pretty much nonexistent.

So yeah, maybe you should look back at our past, only try and read up on the actual history of mass migrations to the New World, rather than the usual trite nonsense regularly peddled out as a reply.

Just look back ten years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's been shown ? Can you show the evidence 1 you dont even know these people. Ireland has taken virtually none so far. Ireland needs to step up
    The top two source countries in 2018 for asylum seekers were Georgia and Albania. Maybe I missed the memo about war in those nations? Syrian refugees in the form of families and women and children I have no issue with, majority male chancers from non war zones I do. Step up my arse if you'll pardon my French.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Say what. Irish people emigrated years ago but it wasn't for a life of luxury. Hard graft to keep their head above water I'd reckon in a land in a lot of cases where racism was directed at them too. Yes we don't need to emulate that but it's this mind of we owe the world something. We don't.
    If ya can't see we are being taken advantage of our generousity which is well recieved from genuine refugees and appreciated. Well I can't help ya.

Id have the refugees over alot of other social cases we already have in the country. At least they might want to contribute as oppossed to never. This discussion is about the town. The town dont want these people because it's Nice not to see refugees in their own town and quiet ly frankly their country folk who are scared to the foreign lads...

Just look back ten years ago.
    Ten years ago to what? Mass migrations of unqualified Irish people to the US, Canada, Australia? Beyond students on J1's and GAA shirts on Bondi turning quickly turkey wattle red, that would be a nope then. They certainly weren't just rocking up en masse looking for asylum. I realy don't know what you;re looking at at all. Then again your earlier example, which I debunked and you didn't try to contradict, shows at best a naive, or ignorance about actual history of Irish migrations.

The top5 for the last two months have been: Albania, Georgia, Zim, SA & Nigeria.
    Syria barely registers, these chancers have paid their thousands to traffickers and have taken the places of the most needy.

Step up? As in the movie {handlemaster} means, maybe for a dance off.

• Advertisement

Id have the refugees over alot of other social cases we already have in the country. At least they might want to contribute as oppossed to never.
    You're the gift that keeps on giving... You can't reply to points raised, but continue on with your trite meaningless pronouncements. Nobody ever said we don't have existing social issues with some, actually a tiny minority of Irish people, but you seem hellbent to walk blindfold on into importing more social problems and your hope is they "might want to contribute"? Sheesh.
    This discussion is about the town. The town dont want these people because it's Nice not to see refugees in their own town and quiet ly frankly their country folk who are scared to the foreign lads...
    490875.gif Yep it's the local Irish "country folk" and their backward ways. Sheesh part deux.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The top two source countries in 2018 for asylum seekers were Georgia and Albania. Maybe I missed the memo about war in those nations?

War isn't a prerequisite for seeking asylum.

The reason there has been an influx of Georgians and Albanians seeking refuge has nothing to do with sophisticated criminal trafficking gangs and has more to do with the change in Visa arrangements and laxer laws on travel.

They are treated differently from asylum seekers of other countries, are fast tracked, with an up to 99% rejection rate.

Many of them don't make it out of the port and are put on the next flight back to the country they came from.

Our main source of refugees are from Syria.

The narrative we are being creamed for social protection mecca is false, the vast majority of people seeking refugee just want to get on with their lives, work and raise their families. In terms of our GDP our social protection spend is poor relative to other European countries.

African unemployment stands at about 16% in this country, studies commissioned put the blame on many things, length of time spent in DP and racist-ism sadly being 2 of the main reasons.

TBH it's not that hard to believe when you have an elected legislator calling them all spongers and con men.

Then you have one of my favorite lines from this thread.

"Africans don't use deodorant".

Is it any wonder fear prevails.

African unemployment stands at about 16% in this country, studies commissioned put the blame on many things, length of time spent in DP and racist-ism sadly being 2 of the main reasons.

TBH it's not that hard to believe when you have an elected legislator calling them all spongers and con men.

Then you have one of my favorite lines from this thread.

"Africans don't use deodorant".

Is it any wonder fear prevails.
    Yup and guess what? I agree 100% racism is and will remain a large part of the problem. Again I'm looking at the actual realities of this "multicultural" politic and the realities are different groups tend not to mix well, no matter where you are on the planet. Go over to the UK and ask a White Londoner and a third or fourth generation Black Londoner about how different they feel the attitudes of wider society are towards them. Try the same in France, Spain, Italy, Germany(ask German Turk there). Being of a different colour will be a major factor and indicator on how well you do in that society. East Asians are the outliers as they tend to have very conservative familiy and community mores, figure far less on the crime stats even compared to background White locals, put huge emphasis into education and a work ethic that can be almost pathological.

So why the god holy hell are so bloody many hellbent on going down this same moronic social experiment hole that has largely failed elsewhere, for both the indigenous, but more the newcomers? Hoping this time it'll be different? It won't be. If anything considering how clannish and parochial Irish culture can sometimes be, it could even be worse.

African unemployment stands at about 16% in this country, studies commissioned put the blame on many things...
    Many things such as the lack of a college education, poor skillsets, literacy and even work ethic perhaps. But sure ignore all that, and pull out the R-card.

Take a look at the uk, two foreign nationalities superseed all others (inc. white natives) for the average wage p/hr rates: Indian & Chinese. Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Racism is why they are not working?

Right that is a lot of racist employers out there in Ireland.:eek: Could they not try and get work then with non-racist employers? You would expect to find one eventually if you keep trying. If I was a genuine worker and found the people in the country I had moved to were actually real racists and wouldn't employ me on that count, I'd move elsewhere. I wouldn't think to sit on the dole as a sponger. Would you? How is that justifiable in a context of Ireland not actually owing them anything? How does it fit in with narrative of 'they just want a better life' that the media often uses?

The length of time in DP doesn't work either as a reason because the law now accommodates them working whilst seeking refugee status. Bananas policy, but there we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭jmreire

This is often offered as a justification, that in the past, other Country's accepted the Irish, so we should now "repay" this generosity. Well, in the past, and the times you are speaking about, there was no ( or very little ) social welfare..the Irish worked and contributed to their adopted Country's...they built the road's, the railway's, the skyscrapers. The government's of these Country's did not accept the Irish out of the goodness of their heart's...they were hard headed business men, and we as a people owe them nothing. Any debt has long been repaid. So you can forget this line of argument. Genuine war fleeing refugee's, I would support 100 %, but all other's "Need not Apply"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

colt45 wrote: »
    imgur.com/a/8uC5UVJ
    would want the like of this in your town?
    can you blame them

I am sure Oughterard folks would love a Luas. Not sure the road is wide enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

colt45 wrote: »
    imgur.com/a/8uC5UVJ
    would want the like of this in your town?
    can you blame them

I am sure Oughterard folks would love a Luas. Not sure the road is wide enough though.
    They could run it down the railway line one side if the green way thats coming

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The "not my town, anywhere but my town" mindset is exemplified most by Dublin and Dubs on here. They always come up with some bullsh1t excuse for not having DPCs in Dublin. Its laughable how they criticise everyone else but want nothing to do with DPCs themselves.

They also prioritise Irish homeless over asylum seekers as has been repeatedly said on here. But as soon as a non Dub does the same they scream racist.

As hypocritical as you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

So a second well seasoned rural td has stuck his head over the parapet and says it how it is.
    Tourism n farming are the backbone of rural ireland.

Tourism was thrown under the bus in last years budget with the hospitality industry getting tax increases.
    Farming is back on the front pages as farmers plead for a few extra crumbs, an annoyance for leo.
    Maybe the asylum industry could replace the tourism n farming industries!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement