Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

GP has had to close his list already so can't take existing residents on. When asked about the potential DP centre he confirmed no one had contacted him with regard to checking if he had capacity to take on new patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,743 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

GP has had to close his list already so can't take existing residents on. When asked about the potential DP centre he confirmed no one had contacted him with regard to checking if he had capacity to take on new patients.

Really?
    Dr. Peter Harte (GMS) can be found at Health Centre, Oughterard, Co. Galway. The general practice's phone number is **********. Among the HSE contracted general practices in the area, there are 2 within the radius of 5 km, 2 within 10 km and 53 within 30 km.

Sure I'll ring and ask him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    That doesn’t do you much good when you need a pair of shoes or tampons.

If you can’t afford a pair of shoes and tampons on €156 a month disposable income then there’s not much else we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous, there is a consultation process if 250 houses were being built - why is a direct provision centre so much different?

It is a change in the usage of a property from a hotel (short term) to long term

The Government are coming out really bad on this - absolute bullys (who in turn are being bullied by the EU)

Because the people living in those houses will contribute to the community, they will work and spend their money locally and help the town grow. The DP residents bring nothing to the community (they can't work and they have no money to spend) while using its amenities. And still local residents have more control over the planning permission that they have over the DP center.
    The Oughterard people have to be allowed to be pragmatic and put their interests first without being branded as racist.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Because it was rabble-rousing, scare-mongering bollocks.

People will shout loudest no matter what as long as their stance on wanting them or not wins. It was the same in my home town, initially concerns were raised about the availability of facilities and access, but it was completely forgotten about and descended into a farce because one person made a claim of which they had no proof of, but it suited the low-key racists in the area that just didn’t want them.

The fact that 90%+ are found to be fraudulent backs him up fully. They are here for the welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Chinasea wrote: »
    Look, where were all these protesters when Apple wanted to set-up close by and the hundreds / 1,000s of people that, that would have brought?

Not a yellow vest in site, just red carpets.

Apple were building a data center that would have required very few full-time staff, don't know where you're getting your thousands figure from?

Yeaaaah - I’d say you you know feck all.

What percentage are “boys”

Cordell wrote: »
    The DP residents bring nothing to the community (they can't work and they have no money to spend)

Incorrect.
    Since 2 July 2018, asylum seekers can apply for permission to work.

If you meet the eligibility criteria the permission will allow you to access employment and self-employment. Permission to work is valid for 6 months. You can renew the permission if you have not received a final decision on your international protection application within the 6 months. (A final decision means when you have completed all appeals procedures, including any judicial review proceedings.)
    Each person in direct provision gets a Daily Expenses Allowance. The Daily Expenses Allowance (formerly called a Direct Provision Allowance) weekly rate is €29.80 for children and €38.80 for adults (from week beginning 25 March 2019).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

markodaly wrote: »
    You are playing with words here.

There is a provision whereby if a claim is logged in Ireland, the Irish state is well within its rights to transfer the claim to another country, usually the one they first entered. In other words, the Irish State is legally allowed to transfer/deport pretty much all of its Asylum seekers to another EU country.

The Dublin Regulation is there to stop 'Asylum shopping' and from multiple claims happening at the same time.

Dare I say, its time to update it as well.

There is no such provision, unless there’s evidence that the applicant was already being processed in another EU state. Which would mean that their fingerprints or other data were in that state’s system. So no - they’re legally allowed transfer some applicant’s back to another country that had started their asylum process, but that’s a fraction of applicants. Once again - there is no obligation on any asylum seeker to make their claim in any first safe country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

naughtb4 wrote: »
    So why Ireland? It's miles away from the first EU country they would hit.

The question id also ask is why not country's like Poland haven't taken any of them. Oh yea they can smell the bs a mile away. If ya want equality everyone has to tow the linr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Doblin wrote: »
    So the people of Oughterard insist that the issue here is the lack of virious services, so I wonder if the government announced today that a Garda & Sargent are going to be based full-time in the station, 2 extra GPS were coming to the village and the local schools were to get more teachers/snas/resource teachers would the locals be happy? My arse they would.

"If". Love those arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The centre was supposed to be in Athenry, that's not close by and it wouldn't have brought thousands of people.

Have worked on construction of and when these places are up and operational. Fook all work in them. Mostly security and small tech team. To be honest I'd say it would have just only driven up our carbon footprint here.

If you can’t afford a pair of shoes and tampons on €156 a month disposable income then there’s not much else we can do.

Along with every other expenditure that comes with life. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest you couldn’t budget your life (clothing, transport, hygiene, phone, etc) for anywhere near €156 a month.

Boggles wrote: »
    Incorrect.

The number of asylum seekers eligible to seek work is limited though. You can’t apply until you’re 9 months in the system, and the goal is to have a first assessment decision within 6 months from initial claim. You can’t work after a first decision (unless of course it’s a positive decision). So the window for permission to work is between a possible three months after a first protection decision goal, and the actual date of that decision. No-one appealing their first decision, or seeking protected status can work.

Obviously some initial assessments take a lot longer than 6 months, but it’s still a limited subset of people going through the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Along with every other expenditure that comes with life. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest you couldn’t budget your life (clothing, transport, hygiene, phone, etc) for anywhere near €156 a month.

Transport to where? Anyways it's true what you're saying though (although I have no idea how much of that they actually have to provide for themselves) but that kinda leans against the planned site. If costs and all that are an issue, and travel/right to work is essential, then wouldn't it make far more sense to have this in Galway city (for example)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

You dont just land in a country and expect to be given money to pay for a luxuries eg: a phone and transport. You also dont need new clothes every month. As for hygiene they have showers and shower gel dispensers in hotels. So a bottle of deodrant and toothpaste is all you need. Not many Africans use deodorant anyway.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    You dont just land in a country and expect to be given money to pay for a luxuries eg: a phone and transport. You also dont need new clothes every month. As for hygiene they have showers and shower gel dispensers in hotels. So a bottle of deodrant and toothpaste is all you need. Not many Africans use deodorant anyway.

Transport and a phone are not luxuries. They are necessities. Who mentioned new clothes every month? I guess African women don’t need sanitary products then, along with deodorant? 🙄🤡

Transport and a phone are not luxuries. They are necessities. Who mentioned new clothes every month? I guess African women don’t need sanitary products then, along with deodorant? 🙄🀡

You are just spoofing now. Transport and a mobile phone are absolutley luxuries. Where is it necessary for these people to travel to? And you would get a few months supply of sanitary products for about 5 euro in some supermarkets.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    You are just spoofing now. Transport and a mobile phone are absolutley luxuries. Where is it necessary for these people to travel to? And you would get a few months supply of sanitary products for about 5 euro in some supermarkets.

Well, let’s see - they need transport to get to their asylum meetings, to the shops, to school, to the doctor, to pretty much every place that the rest of us need transport to get to. They don’t have land lines, so they need a mobile for all the same reasons everyone else needs them. Both are an overhead you can’t avoid.

And no - you wouldn’t.

Transport is a luxury, fúck me.

There is some amount of ignorance seeping out of this thread.

Maybe because some members are just "new".

• Advertisement

I am "new", so this "argument" doesn't work with me.

Incorrect.

No, quite correct. It's very little chance they will get the permit and find employment, and spending their whole 40 quid a week is going to make very little for the town.

I am "new", so this "argument" doesn't work with me.

You are not "new".

But if you claim you are, getting basic facts about the asylum process wrong and spreading them as truth is no excuse.
    No, quite correct. It's very little chance they will get the permit and find employment, and spending their whole 40 quid a week is going to make very little for the town.

So when you said they can't work and have no money. You were correct?

Why are you arguing with yourself so?

The fact that 90%+ are found to be fraudulent backs him up fully. They are here for the welfare.

90% aren’t found to be fraudulent. 90% aren’t even refused protection. Plenty of reasons why a claim may not be accepted without any insinuation of fraud.

You are not "new".
    I am quite "new" - assuming it means immigrant. I'm not the kind of new that was forced into a town tough, so maybe I'm not new enough.
    So when you said they can't work and have no money. You were correct?
    Yes, on both counts. They won't work, the have a very theoretical possibility to find employment but in real life that's not happening and that's not their fault either. They have no money, 40 a week is as good as nothing.

Yes, on both counts. They won't work, the have a very theoretical possibility to find employment but in real life that's not happening and that's not their fault either. They have no money, 40 a week is as good as nothing.

250 x €40 is 10 grand a week.

Spent in a small local community.

Wouldn't call that nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

Some of the posters on here should pop into the residents car park in mosney.
    How do they manage to run cars and buy sanitary products on e39?!
    #defonotspoofers!

Well then bring them all there, 5000 x 40 a week and that town will be over the moon!!!!!!!!!!

Well then bring them all there, 5000 x 40 a week and that town will be over the moon!!!!!!!!!!

No, that would be daft.

But if anything hopefully you have learned something today.

Your Ignorance is no longer an excuse for spreading misinformation (lies).

You are welcome.

enricoh wrote: »
    Some of the posters on here should pop into the residents car park in mosney.
    How do they manage to run cars and buy sanitary products on e39?!
    #defonotspoofers!

Those ones probably have permission to work, i would hope so anyway otherwise how do you explain owning a car?

What happens when they do get permission to work, are bed and board still paid for ?

• Advertisement

You are welcome.
    Thank you for your condescending replies in which you attack me and hair split my arguments for accuracy while ignoring the actual point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement