Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Boggles wrote: »
    Transport is a luxury, fúck me.

There is some amount of ignorance seeping out of this thread.

Maybe because some members are just "new".

They done fine organising transport to get to Ireland didnt they? So f**k them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Those ones probably have permission to work, i would hope so anyway otherwise how do you explain owning a car?

What happens when they do get permission to work, are bed and board still paid for ?

If they find employment they have to contribute some amount towards the accommodation I think

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The question id also ask is why not country's like Poland haven't taken any of them. Oh yea they can smell the bs a mile away. If ya want equality everyone has to tow the linr
    Poland have taken a massive amount of Ukrainians
    “This has been, as far as I'm aware, the single biggest migration of people from one European country to another in such a short space of time in recent history,” said Daniel Tilles, an assistant professor of history at the Pedagogical University of Kraków.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-two-faced-immigration-strategy-ukraine-migrants/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Cordell wrote: »
    Thank you for your condescending replies in which you attack me and hair split my arguments for accuracy while ignoring the actual point.

Telling lies isn't hair splitting. It's just a lie.
    They done fine organising transport to get to Ireland didnt they? So f**k them.

#edgelord

#edgelord

Yeah whatever, at least im not allowing myself to be taken for a fool like you.

Cribbing about transport for refugees that transported themselves thousands and thousands of miles to get here.

Wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

Telling lies implies intent which is not the case, I'm not some sort of influencer with an agenda.
    The fact is that they won't work in any significant numbers and they won't spend any meaningful amount in the town, you can call me a liar but it won't change the truth.

Also, learn something here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial_objections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    Along with every other expenditure that comes with life. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest you couldn’t budget your life (clothing, transport, hygiene, phone, etc) for anywhere near €156 a month.

My meals, medical, dental etc isn’t free.

Why would someone who is brand new to the country need a transport budget??

I don’t get out of course payments for clothes etc.

“You may be entitled to assistance towards clothing when you arrive and to other exceptional needs from time to time” - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/services_for_asylum_seekers_in_ireland/direct_provision.html#startcontent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is no such provision, unless there’s evidence that the applicant was already being processed in another EU state. Which would mean that their fingerprints or other data were in that state’s system. So no - they’re legally allowed transfer some applicant’s back to another country that had started their asylum process, but that’s a fraction of applicants. Once again - there is no obligation on any asylum seeker to make their claim in any first safe country.

Guess the BBC is wrong.
    Under an EU rule known as the Dublin regulation, refugees are required to claim asylum in the member state in which they first arrive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24583286

Guess this NGO is wrong.
    The purpose of the regulation is to determine which country is responsible for processing an asylum seeker’s application. Usually, this is the first EU member state that the migrants set their foot on. The regulation also strives to ensure that each application gets a fair examination in one country of the European Union.

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/1857/the-dublin-regulation-explained

Or maybe Alastair is wrong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

250 x €40 is 10 grand a week.

Spent in a small local community.

Wouldn't call that nothing.

The Western Union would do a roaring trade I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Transport and a phone are not luxuries. They are necessities. Who mentioned new clothes every month? I guess African women don’t need sanitary products then, along with deodorant? 🙄🤡

They don't have to buy sanitary products, they are provided for them and if for some reason they are not already provided they can request them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

TheTheory wrote: »
    *UPDATE*

Planned Direct Provision centre in Oughterard Village will go ahead with residents due to arrive in two weeks time.
    In total, 320 asylum seekers will be housed in The Connemara Gateway Hotel.

Link to interview to come......

I'm not surprised. This Govt will do whatever it wants. And sadly the next one will be just as bad.

Europe is a great lesson on why America has its Second Amendment and why the Founding Fathers made it impossible to remove and why many fight to protect it.

Varadkar and Co. wouldn't be in this "You're getting these migrants. **** You if you don't like it" if he had an armed populace to deal with. Tyrants always love an unarmed populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Things aren't stacked in Ireland's favour here.

You have huge expected population growth in the neighbouring continent of Africa over the next 3 decades, a continent which has a miserable track record on political and economic stability despite being blessed with greater natural resources (EU has no meaningful oil resources, and relatively quite limited mineral resources).

Though the free movement area in which we participate is soon to lose one net contributor nation in the NW, it will gain a few more net receiver Balkan ones over the next decade.

I don't have a crystal ball but, looking at these trajectories, I expect the native Irish contingent of the people who live in the towns and cities of Ireland will drop quite forcefully over the medium to long term.

Never in the human history of Ireland has there been such mass movement, possibly with the exception of the Ulster plantation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

topper75 wrote: »
    Things aren't stacked in Ireland's favour here.

You have huge expected population growth in the neighbouring continent of Africa over the next 3 decades, a continent which has a miserable track record on political and economic stability despite being blessed with greater natural resources (EU has no meaningful oil resources, and relatively quite limited mineral resources).

Though the free movement area in which we participate is soon to lose one net contributor nation in the NW, it will gain a few more net receiver Balkan ones over the next decade.

I don't have a crystal ball but, looking at these trajectories, I expect the native Irish contingent of the people who live in the towns and cities of Ireland will drop quite forcefully over the medium to long term.

Never in the human history of Ireland has there been such mass movement, possibly with the exception of the Ulster plantation.

What about the famine?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The ideal place to put asylum seekers is in large urban areas with really good public transport such as LUAS or regular buses.

When you do a quick check it turns out there is just a single Direct Provision Centre in Dublin.

They are taking the p*ss at this stage.

Dublin politicians and media dumping the problem elsewhere and then calling everyone racist who stands up to them.

I think the Oughterard protests are about more than just migrants. Its about ordinary people standing up for themselves. And long may it continue.

The ideal place to put asylum seekers is in large urban areas with really good public transport such as LUAS or regular buses.

When you do a quick check it turns out there is just a single Direct Provision Centre in Dublin.

Dublin politicians and media dumping the problem elsewhere and then calling everyone racist who stands up to them.

I think the Oughterard protests are about more than just migrants. Its about ordinary people standing up for themselves. And long may it continue.

Parts of Dublin are already changed beyond recognition, its less people coming from war torn kips we need. Not more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Any chance we can change the thread title to something more meaningful?
    "oughterard people" is a bit weird.

Some candidates...

Objections to Direct Provisioning Centre in Oughterard

or

Oughterard people are nice

or

Oughterard people are nasty

or

Oughterard is racist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

topper75 wrote: »
    At least they were white and Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Why put people who will for a while not be able to work in Dublin which has already a croic shortage of housing.Lots of towns around the country are dead with lors of empty properties like this town. At least the tax payers money will be going into a town that needs a boost. No shop keeper in this town will be complaining

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Why put people who will for a while not be able to work in Dublin which has already a croic shortage of housing.Lots of towns around the country are dead with lors of empty properties like this town. At least the tax payers money will be going into a town that needs a boost. No shop keeper in this town will be complaining

Nothing to stop them building new DPCs in Dublin on publicly owned land. Nothing at all.

Instead of sending them off to the middle of Connemara.

What do you think the difference is between commandeering a closed hotel in the west of Ireland to doing the same in Dublin or building one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What do you think the difference is between commandeering a closed hotel in the west of Ireland to doing the same in Dublin or building one?

Access to facilities to relive the monotony and boredom perhaps ?
    Access to educational establishments that can teach new skills and English language ?
    Access to public transport ?
    Access to future employment opportunities ?

And going out on a limb here ...
    Guaranteed to being a fan of future All Ireland winners. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What about the famine?
    Was only referring to inbound. But if both directions are weighed - then yes you are right - famine is largest movement of people in the history of the island.
    vriesmays wrote: »
    At least they were white and Christian.
    These things don't matter much to me to be honest.

It is about numbers and lack of consultation - the headache that a mass influx brings. It is a straight up recipe for trouble and strife. One that brings limited to negligible gains - but yet is actively pursued by the political class in 2019. People need to be a little braver. Grealish's only mistake was his reference to religious affiliation. In all other respects he was right. We are being taken for mugs. Varadkar called for withdrawal - but tellingly did not refute or make any effort to. A little slimy I thought.

jmayo wrote: »
    Access to facilities to relive the monotony and boredom perhaps ?
    Access to educational establishments that can teach new skills and English language ?
    Access to public transport ?
    Access to future employment opportunities ?

I meant monetary wise.

Galway City is 16 miles away, they have all that.

There is 8 bus journeys daily to the city, ironically the bus stop is located outside the proposed hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Another TD has just talked about the issue of looking after our own people first and then when that is all done, then we can look at helping immigrants. Not that economic migrants should get any help, but true refugees should get help over illegal migrants flooding this island. This TD is also fully correct in what he said in my opinion, yet he is told that what he is saying is very dangerous, how is saying that looking after your own citizens first is a very dangerous thing to say? Are native Irish citizens so bad of a people that we cannot even say that they should be helped firstly in their own native land?.

Brendan Howlin is not living in the real world, and the disdain for native Irish people from this government is treasonous.

IRISH people are “hungry in the street” and should be prioritised over immigrants, an Independent TD has claimed.

Michael Collins made the remark and argued Ireland is “losing our culture” as he defended another Independent TD Noel Grealish who was heavily criticised after claiming last week that African migrants “sponge off the system”.

Labour leader Brendan Howlin branded the comments by both TDs as “very dangerous”.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-claims-irish-people-who-are-hungry-in-the-streets-should-be-prioritised-over-immigrants-38506835.html

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Parts of Dublin are already changed beyond recognition, its less people coming from war torn kips we need. Not more.

Worn torn bahhaaaabahh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

A quick Google tells me that there are two bus companies serving the town (BE & Citylink) with a total of 14 buses per day to & from Galway city centre. That's hardly "little to No public transport" as some people claim

Another TD has just talked about the issue of looking after our own people first and then when that is all done, then we can look at helping immigrants. Not that economic migrants should get any help, but true refugees should get help over illegal migrants flooding this island. This TD is also fully correct in what he said in my opinion, yet he is told that what he is saying is dangerous, how is saying that looking after your own citizens first is a dangerous thing to say? Are native Irish citizens so bad of a people that we cannot even say that they should be helped firstly in their own native land?.

Brendan Howlin is not living in the real world, and the disdain for native Irish people from this government is treasonous.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-claims-irish-people-who-are-hungry-in-the-streets-should-be-prioritised-over-immigrants-38506835.html

A blanket statement like All X are Y is quite sad, untrue and coming from a "respectable" politician quite dangerous. Not only is it probably racist throw in the religious angle and it's also intolerant.

Or do you think arson attempts on these types of premises could not not be potentially dangerous?

Has the cretin surfaced from underground yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

A blanket statement like All X are Y is quite sad, untrue and coming from a "respectable" politician quite dangerous. Not only is it probably racist throw in the religious angle and it's also intolerant.

Or do you think arson attempts on these types of premises could not not be potentially dangerous?

Has the cretin surfaced from underground yet?

Your post is utter nonsense to be honest. What has arson got to do with my comment or the quote?. And Has the cretin surfaced from underground yet? What are you talking about?.

Some people.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Doblin wrote: »
    A quick Google tells me that there are two bus companies serving the town (BE & Citylink) with a total of 14 buses per day to & from Galway city centre. That's hardly "little to No public transport" as some people claim

And 53 General Practitioners in a 30 km radius. Numerous hospitals and schools not that far away.

The "we just don't have the services" isn't really making sense when it get's a rub of the microscope.

• Advertisement

Another TD has just talked about the issue of looking after our own people first and then when that is all done, then we can look at helping immigrants. Not that economic migrants should get any help, but true refugees should get help over illegal migrants flooding this island. This TD is also fully correct in what he said in my opinion, yet he is told that what he is saying is very dangerous, how is saying that looking after your own citizens first is a very dangerous thing to say? Are native Irish citizens so bad of a people that we cannot even say that they should be helped firstly in their own native land?.

Expect plenty more politicians to come out of the woodwork with similar comments. It was only a matter of time before there was a push back against this nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement